Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Hero
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    not suffering fools gladly
    Posts
    3,577

    Default Devs: When are you going to address soul crushing lag in quests and raids?

    May 16 10pm eastern on Orien: 8 of us enter epic Zawabi's Revenge. Two minutes later we recall out. With the intense lag, it took us that long to kill the first pack of mephits and efreetis. There was 4-5 seconds between activating an ability (like Fists of Light) or casting a spell, and when the effect was recognized by the server. Everyone in the raid had this lag, so it's not isolated to one person's ISP or geographic region. The players in the raid hail from Europe, US west coast and US east coast.

    The issue isn't specific to Zawabi's Revenge. After calling off raids last night, four of us ran epic Last Stand. The lag in there was just as bad.

    The issue isn't specific to May 16 either. We've called off too many raids in the past month because of graphical stuttering (rubberbanding, floating in the air) and spells taking 4-5 seconds to resolve. Too often raids are unplayable because the lag is too extreme.

    Turbine Developers: Please do something about this lag, sooner rather than later. We are extremely frustrated because lag is making DDO unplayable.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

    ~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

  2. #2
    Community Member Elyanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    May 16 10pm eastern on Orien: 8 of us enter epic Zawabi's Revenge. Two minutes later we recall out. With the intense lag, it took us that long to kill the first pack of mephits and efreetis. There was 4-5 seconds between activating an ability (like Fists of Light) or casting a spell, and when the effect was recognized by the server. Everyone in the raid had this lag, so it's not isolated to one person's ISP or geographic region. The players in the raid hail from Europe, US west coast and US east coast.

    The issue isn't specific to Zawabi's Revenge. After calling off raids last night, four of us ran epic Last Stand. The lag in there was just as bad.

    The issue isn't specific to May 16 either. We've called off too many raids in the past month because of graphical stuttering (rubberbanding, floating in the air) and spells taking 4-5 seconds to resolve. Too often raids are unplayable because the lag is too extreme.

    Turbine Developers: Please do something about this lag, sooner rather than later. We are extremely frustrated because lag is making DDO unplayable.
    Experienced the same lag on Khyber about the same time in Chamber of Raiyum. It was really bad rubberbanding and hitching all through the quest.
    Got a question the answer may be on the wiki! http://ddowiki.com

  3. #3
    Community Member Cauthey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Orien, and sometimes Thelanis.
    Posts
    3,232

    Default

    Yes, please! It has gotten PARTICULARLY bad since Update 9. Not sure why Update 9 would cause your processors to spike - but it has.

    There are a couple of threads here about Orien Lag...

    Orien Lag:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=317807

    Uncharacteristic Lag on Orien this past weekend - any other servers?
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=318683

    Turbine, PLEASE look into this. The bad rubber banding is seriously impacting play, and may drive players away from the game.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

  4. #4
    Hero
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    not suffering fools gladly
    Posts
    3,577

    Default

    Please, if you have your own stories to share about the lag, post them here!
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

    ~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

  5. #5
    The Hatchery sirgog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,129

    Default

    A story about lag...

    There once was crippling lag on the game that caused frequent wipes in Shroud part 4 and ToD part 2. Players called it 'DPS lag'

    Turbine decided to 'solve' it.

    They did so by nerfing TWF so hard that tempest rangers still have sore bottoms today.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

    I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

  6. #6
    Community Member jwdaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Deepest, darkest New Jersey
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    Sarlona was fine at that time last night - no issues for me or any of my guildies.


    Proud officer of Crate and Barrel Smashing, LLC

  7. #7
    Community Member Yaga_Nub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mabar
    Posts
    6,667

    Default

    While it's great to bring lag up in the forums, I would also like to bring up the fact that lag can be derived from many different factors and just because you are experiencing it that doesn't mean that everyone on the server or even your individual party is experiencing it. Quite often when people are bring up lag issues in a quest I am not experiencing any issues at all and there have been times when I'm lagged a great deal that everyone else is fine. I'd love for the Devs to be able to wave a magic wand and take care of every lag issue but it's just not going to happen.
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

  8. #8
    Community Member skwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Was rubberbanding all over the place in Tear of Dhakhaan runs last night as well on Cannith. Felt bad for the group because I skipped the hard and elite runs - norm was fine, but as the main evasion person in the group operating both str and wis optionals, I did not want to see myself rubberband through traps on higher difficulty - call me a pansy
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    -Hanlon's Razor

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesop View Post
    Information is contagious, knowledge is not.

  9. #9
    Community Member Gleep_Wurp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    862

    Default ah did you read the op?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaga_Nub View Post
    While it's great to bring lag up in the forums, I would also like to bring up the fact that lag can be derived from many different factors and just because you are experiencing it that doesn't mean that everyone on the server or even your individual party is experiencing it. Quite often when people are bring up lag issues in a quest I am not experiencing any issues at all and there have been times when I'm lagged a great deal that everyone else is fine. I'd love for the Devs to be able to wave a magic wand and take care of every lag issue but it's just not going to happen.
    im thinking you read it and then went on a tangent that really didnt connect.stop being a fanboi it wont get you better loot (but it might get you a job).

  10. #10
    Community Member dogonovo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Story about lag:

    Yesterday, after questing quite a bit, it was tragicomic to realize the word that was mostly used in chat was "lag" in all its variations. Before logging off, party of three chatting (one in airship, one in House K at the entrance to VON 1, another at House D weapon broker, all three playing from Brazil) when I and my brother lose connection to chat server. We were almost disconnected from the game. When we tell our friend that we may have some internet issues he replies that "Half my friends list just disconnected and logged back, just like you two". So while I can understand adding an extra level of challenge by adding the lag monster to the list of enemies in the quest, having it plague us even when we are in town areas is a bit too much.

    Really dont feel like playing right now.
    Like Prometheus we are bound,
    Chained to this rock of a brave new world,
    Our godforsaken lot.

  11. #11
    Hero
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    not suffering fools gladly
    Posts
    3,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaga_Nub View Post
    I would also like to bring up the fact that lag can be derived from many different factors and just because you are experiencing it that doesn't mean that everyone on the server or even your individual party is experiencing it.
    You didn't read my post. Everyone in the raid experienced the lag. It's not isolated to a certain ISP or geographic region. The lag is server side.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

    ~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

  12. #12
    Community Member slothinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    333

    Default

    I was on at that time last night, about 7pm to 8:30pm PST, and we had nasty lag in the Shroud. The fun part was rubber banding back through the blades, taking 4 hits instead of 2. Harry's DFB and the heals were very delayed, sometimes by 4-5 seconds. I personally had trouble getting LOH and my other pally clickies to work. Completed, but very annoyed.
    Sarlona: Stelvar, Stethos, Saltmint, Abbracadaver, Shaigh Hulud, Fujihowser MD, Soundwaive, Kuddlefish and some others

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    They did so by nerfing TWF so hard that tempest rangers still have sore bottoms today.
    No, they solved it by finding a rate limit number in their server settings and editing it from 10000 to 20000.

  14. #14
    Community Member ceiswyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Ah, yes. We had some similarly fun lag problems on Ghallanda on Friday (sometime around 9pm BST). I was healing a Shroud, and my heart plunged into my boots as I watched nine people whale on Harry while taking no damage for three seconds... four seconds... BAMF. Five seconds' worth of damage hit at once, half the party keeled over, and we had great fun putting that one back together, I can tell you.

    Everyone in the group - from all over Europe, plus at least one from the US - had exactly the same experience of lag. It's server-side.
    ~ What do you mean, Con isn't a dump stat? ~

    Keston - Myddfai - Triski - Arianhrod - Ericht - Delwi - Bathb - Xinren - Anyerin - Bauxy - Niniamh - Meikleour

  15. #15
    Community Member ProdigalGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    I agree that MOST of the problem is the servers, but want to make sure we spread some of the blame around to the ISP's. Companies such as Comcast and Qwest (my local ISP's) often have far-reaching problems that cause periodic outages. Remote areas are not going to get as good a service as urban ones. A lot of installers are sub-contractors (I used to be one), and get pretty poor training overall. Add in a lazy/stupid/cheap factor to all of these things, combine it with old wiring and weather damage, splash in some wireless, and I can hardly believe the internet exists at all.
    Tip# 203: Death is a traumatic experience.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    I am thinking turbine is cutting their bandwidth to save money(maybe f2p model isnt working as well after the initial bump). Since ddo uses a strange combination of udp and tcp packets(developed for ac and then implemented for ddo) this could be an issue. strained bandwidth +udp packets = lag.

    wouldn't be surprising if turbine wanted to save money... heck weekday late night(us time zones) orien normally has less then 500 players online anymore...

  17. #17
    Community Member SiliconShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystafyi View Post
    I am thinking turbine is cutting their bandwidth to save money(maybe f2p model isnt working as well after the initial bump). Since ddo uses a strange combination of udp and tcp packets(developed for ac and then implemented for ddo) this could be an issue. strained bandwidth +udp packets = lag.

    wouldn't be surprising if turbine wanted to save money... heck weekday late night(us time zones) orien normally has less then 500 players online anymore...
    Total dribble, the game needs to use tcp or you would have more lag, udp allows those packets to arrive in any order the tcp ones are ordered. For real time response with lower latency UDP is your choice. So things like movement of objects will use UDP things like interaction with objects will use TCP.

    You can easily see when there is lag it is just before an update, or at server backup times.

    I know I prefer to have lag on a Sunday morning gmt+0 than to lose my characters on a disaster during an update.
    Last edited by SiliconShadow; 05-18-2011 at 03:59 AM.
    "(Party): [Party] Mislabeled: you were killed by Qrazydirections"

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconShadow View Post
    Total dribble
    LOL i find it very amusing you say total dribble and then go on to attempt to correct me when i said they use a combination of tcp and udp.... very funny.

  19. #19
    Community Member lhidda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Khyber, Austria
    Posts
    1,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    Yes, please! It has gotten PARTICULARLY bad since Update 9.
    This.

    Additionally i have noticed increased lag in marketplace. I also notice that lag gettin worse with longer playtime. After about 4 hours lag is too worse to play. Restart ddo helps.

  20. #20
    Community Member Phemt81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dogonovo View Post
    Really dont feel like playing right now.
    Thanks, this will definitely reduce the lag...
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload