Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by BitkaCK2 View Post
    My apologies if I'm missing something here but your OP wants to block DP because melees have no defense against it. Now this next part may be an assumption on my part, however I'm guessing that the result of this lack of defense is getting killed. Hence my impression that this is just another "Please block <insert spell/ability here> because it is killing me" thread.

Anyway, I stated my opinion in this post. There's not more I can say and remain on-topic. Although I am a little curious as to how Flesh to Stone being used to grief players by locking them down differs from using disco ball to immobilize them. I vaguely recall that victims of FtS couldn't even log out of the game but I could be wrong.

bitkaCK2
    The FTS we had 3 years ago was prety much like DP right now in terms of griefing. 3 years ago you had to make a save every minute, the timer on the spell could be refreshed at will, the tavern regen wasn't getting rid of it and the duration of the spell was 2 min (i think). Now FTS is about 15 secs, save every 2 secs and tavern regen removes it.

Prety much the same thing with otto irresistible dance. Now it's 13ish secs instead of 45 and you can't refresh the timer. In fact the only thing that hasn't change is song of capering, you can even cast it tru walls, save is incredibly high and the timer can be refreshed. However there's way to counter it.

DP (and the caster versions) is insanly unbalanced. I know PvP was never balanced but why make it worst. I think the best way to fix the problem is to block the spell from PvP.

Anyway,

Go PvP
    >P E S T I L E N C E<
    >T H E L A N I S<

MADE - NITROUS - PSYCOTIK - MAYAJI - BLINDFOLD - RAGNAROKS - UUBER - EPICFARMING - HEYY

Quote Originally Posted by heyytoi View Post
    The FTS we had 3 years ago was prety much like DP right now in terms of griefing. 3 years ago you had to make a save every minute, the timer on the spell could be refreshed at will, the tavern regen wasn't getting rid of it and the duration of the spell was 2 min (i think). Now FTS is about 15 secs, save every 2 secs and tavern regen removes it.

Prety much the same thing with otto irresistible dance. Now it's 13ish secs instead of 45 and you can't refresh the timer. In fact the only thing that hasn't change is song of capering, you can even cast it tru walls, save is incredibly high and the timer can be refreshed. However there's way to counter it.

DP (and the caster versions) is insanly unbalanced. I know PvP was never balanced but why make it worst. I think the best way to fix the problem is to block the spell from PvP.

Anyway,

Go PvP
    Thank you very much. That explains a lot. I vaguely remember some of the posts from back then but could not remember specifics. However I'm still back to the griefing thing. Doesn't DP kill you? You rez you fight again you kill you die you rez you fight again.... With the other spells you can do nothing. You can't play the game. You are being kept from playing the game by that spell/ability. To me that's the element missing from DP that would make it griefing and thus warrant blocking.

Oh and I don't want to "Go PvP".
    bitkaCK2
    "That's right, remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over..." ~ Heavenly Bank Account by Frank Zappa
    "Your 'Gin n' tonic Futon Brain' cyborg implants sure make you smart!" ~ Seraphita, Element of Fire

Thank you very much. That explains a lot. I vaguely remember some of the posts from back then but could not remember specifics. However I'm still back to the griefing thing. Doesn't DP kill you? You rez you fight again you kill you die you rez you fight again.... With the other spells you can do nothing. You can't play the game. You are being kept from playing the game by that spell/ability. To me that's the element missing from DP that would make it griefing and thus warrant blocking.

bitkaCK2
    I can certainly understand the point you are making. it's very clear that specific spells will hold a person in place are griefing, while killing the person can easily be considered not griefing, since that is the entire point of the pit is to kill eachother.

However, what I don't like is that the spell continues after the caster dies. I recently was playing on my favored soul with evasion in the pit, an air savant sorc started to attack me. OK, no griefing there. im in the pit, he can attack me at will and nuke for all he's worth til' im dead. I turn around and a few searing lights later, he dies. he then resses, comes back down and throws two spells on me right before i kill him again: niac's biting cold, and the electric version of that. This is the problem I'm having. if these spells are cast on me, and they continue until either A) I die, B) I dispel them with greater dispel or break enchantment or C) until the original spell duration runs out, I can consider that griefing - purely because I can climb out of the pit, and still die from them - even though the original caster died long before i did and I am no longer participating in the brawl (granted this is seconds after leaving the pit, but still).

If the spell was to die along with it's original caster, that would be much more acceptable - but it would be easier, and less likely to cause issues, to just block it altogether IMO.

the pit is unbalanced as it is, with casters being able to pretty much one shot almost anyone with meteor swarm - granted, there are many ways to solve that issue, there isnt one available - other than spell absorption - to stop those DOT's.
    Last edited by protokon; 06-10-2011 at 02:53 AM.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Do you mean taverns or deathmatch/capture the flag?

PVP in taverns ssucks, it was said like million times, you want PvP find a deathmatch/ctf group.

In PvP maps all spells are allowed, and shouldn't be disabled, because people are testing them here.

bitkaCK2
    Yes DP is griefing imo

And when i say Go PvP i didnt meant *Please go PvP BitkaCK2*

More like *PvP is awesome*

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Do you mean taverns or deathmatch/capture the flag?

PVP in taverns ssucks, it was said like million times, you want PvP find a deathmatch/ctf group.

In PvP maps all spells are allowed, and shouldn't be disabled, because people are testing them here.
    We're talking about PvP pits in taverns. And i have to disagrree that tavern PvP 'ssucks'. Always have been great fun for me even tough DP (and caster versions) kinda ruins it.
    Last edited by heyytoi; 06-10-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    >P E S T I L E N C E<
    >T H E L A N I S<

MADE - NITROUS - PSYCOTIK - MAYAJI - BLINDFOLD - RAGNAROKS - UUBER - EPICFARMING - HEYY

Community Member hityawithastick's Avatar

Burning Blood, Melf's Acid Arrow, and all the diseases from Contagion also work like these three new DoTs. Since the DoTs are higher level they should rightly outstrip these spells in damage and efficacy just as much as firewall is better than flaming sphere.

Are the new DoT spells cheap? In my opinion, yes. Nothing gets nuked faster than someone who spams Divine Punishment/Eladar's Surge/Niac's Cold. The majority of people (on my server at least) seem to share this opinion--most battles do not involve these spells.

Are these spells griefing? No. They don't impair your ability to play the game like Otto's and FtS do--you just take damage and then die. Once you release, you're good as new. You're not stuck in the pit.

Do I like these spells? I admit I do. They're fun to cast on mobs, especially with the brilliant stacking visual effects from Niac's and Eladar's. It's amusing to drop it on someone who tried to zap you and then run for the ladder. It gives me a real feeling of achievement if I can survive having one cast on me--either by spamming negative energy bursts or frantically recasting protection from energy.

I personally try to save them for (a) PvE boss fights, (b) arena matches with multiple people where slowing down to fight "fair" would get me killed, and (c) use on people who use them on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Dragons cant be vorped.
    Wait! Where are you going? Come back here and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcTharin View Post
    Hityawithastick, the super-naked dragon-slayer.

Default lol

Well I would agree with you, but good players know how to counter this stuff.
    Roll a good ranger, or wizard arcane.
    Takes long time to get uber gear but eventually.... it's worth it.

On Ghallanda, I can kill any fvs with my wizard they won't ever get through my absorbsion if 1 to 1 or 2 to 1, arcane with gear beats divine with gear.

Peace
    MD Interactive www.youtube.com/michieldankmeijer
    Subscribe & Follow To Stay Tuned!
    Afteristar & Empha on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Fundamental View Post
    Well I would agree with you, but good players know how to counter this stuff.
    Roll a good ranger, or wizard arcane.
    Takes long time to get uber gear but eventually.... it's worth it.

On Ghallanda, I can kill any fvs with my wizard they won't ever get through my absorbsion if 1 to 1 or 2 to 1, arcane with gear beats divine with gear.

Peace
    spell absorption is trivial to break through for anyone who has a clue how mechanics work.

tier 2 greensteel clickie for meteor swarm. 1 shot its gone. sounds like you havent come across any decent divines if you feel that way, considering the guy on our server who nobody can beat 1 on 1 is a favored soul - in most cases a team of casters cannot kill him either, until the DOT's start getting spammed on him.

please enlighten us on how to 'counter' divine punishment once its cast on you...
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

Community Member fluffybunnywilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    please enlighten us on how to 'counter' divine punishment once its cast on you...
    At this point, why would anyone bother to explain that to you? Every time someone says something that is a counter, you just reply with a variation on "no it isn't."

There is a 10 second cooldown for Divine Punishment. That means they have to bust through your spell absorbtion and then cast DP and then wait 10 seconds and then cast another DP in order to kill you. All without dying in the process themselves.

And if you do die to DP, you can just heal up and hop right back into the pit and kill the Cleric or FvS that threw it at you in the first place.

This is not a big deal.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Dp?

No way.... DP is way too good....
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678