Default Good Classes for Each Race?

I'm sure a topic like this exists somewhere in the depths of the forum, though I am sure that if it does, it likely is old and doesn't include Half-elf and Half-orcs. Tempted to one day buy a half-elf (when I come upon extra money somehow), I found myself curious to know particularly what classes and races align well with each-other. Sure we could argue about what is the 'absolute best' but in the end, the benefits might be relatively small. Still, there are races that do stick out for each class and I'm curious to know a general list of it. Again, 'best' isn't what is being aimed for, we are looking for simply good synergy.

I do know that, even without trying to argue what the best classes are, some opinions might be applied to a person's choice that others might disagree with in being not so great. If a certain race applies to a certain weapon/roll/ choice, feel free to mention it, as I do know some races favor twf while others might be better for thf. I can always compile the list on this post if people are interested to keep it all together.

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

To get it started:

Drow- TWF Paladins; Wizards and Sorcerers if you don't have 32pt

Warforged- practically anything

Half-orc- any two-handed melee class
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

My personal preferences in red, but the others can work well too.

Drow: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Dwarf: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Elf: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Half-Elf: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Half-Orc: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Halfling: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Human: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages
    Warforged: Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, FvS, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorc, Wizard, Deeply-splashed-bastages

If you want to get more detailed, you'll need to narrow your focus just a touch. Normally, one decides what they want their build to do first, then choose the class/race to best fit it.

In this game, role is separate from class.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    My personal preferences in red, but the others can work well too.
    Do you even have any characters using a race other Human and Warforged?

You piker account has that one dwarf i think....
    Co host of Cocktail Hour with Lessah and Samius! and my new blog SamiusGurobo.com for my real thoughts on DDo and everything else. Nothing but good stuff i swear.

Dwarves make great tempest rangers.
    Drow > Sorcerer.
    Halfling > Wizard.

These have been my experiences.
    My demands are simple. Ducks, penguins and tortoises as pets. I'll buy hats and bow-ties for them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Samiusbot View Post
    Do you even have any characters using a race other Human and Warforged?

You piker account has that one dwarf i think....
    Fradul's a halfling, and Wansfell's a dwarf. I've even got a lowbie battle-bard (Waycool Junior) that's drow, but as he's only level 8 I can't really comment on how effective he'll be. Unlike some other posters (not in this thread), I am hesitant to write a 101 guide based on low levels only

Both are slated to TR into a half-elf/human (respectively) if I ever get around to it.

I would never deliberately recommend a combination that I've found to be sub-optimal, although my sub-optimal may very well be someone else's prefered combo.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

dwarf : barb bard ranger fighter
    drow palladin sorcerer wizard
    elf: aa multi class aa meele fvs
    helf : intimitanks healing amp builds aa anything realy
    human : anything
    horc most meeles dps focused mebey not pally and assin rog
    wf : meeles more defencif focused fvs wizard sorcerer , less for light monk bard rog ranger
    Virt II makes elujin smile !

Well wasn't expecting this much input all of a sudden. ^^;;

I have to say though for me I found Halfing Rogue to be great. That extra sneak attack can be incredible for damage, at least when you can sneak attack.

Yes, each build might have certain benefits that allow each race to be better in some cases, but I was leaning on synergy. Simply mentioning the build in particularly really can clear it up. Sure people pick classes for the most synergy with what they want to do most, but its generally good to play what you like, and sure you might not be a crazy Dwarf or Warforged barb if you play halfling, but if you truly enjoy it you can still play it. I do know people like to pick what they like and just enjoy having a selection that gives them a bit more umph without being a little below par at what another race and possibly do for a class.

Halflings are great for anything melee imo. (the sneak damage overwhelms the -2 strength by a loooong shot.)

Warforged for a wiz or sorc (can't beat the synergy to heal yourself there.)

Human for anything else. (extra feat and skill points.)

I'd love to have someone argue with me and talk about other races - but the above three things imo trump everything else.
    Homer: "Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen."

i've become a big fan of half elves where their biggest strength is their sheer versatility through the dilantette feats, though it can often come at a cost of losing some of the intense focus of others, especially if you need to invest build points to qualify for the dilly.

They're particularly good for multiclassing too where they provide some great synergies, eg. the popular bard/rogue or cleric/monk builds can take paladin dilantette (dilly not limited by alignment) to boost saves rather nicely
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.