Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guide to reducing Arcane Spell Failure

A recent post I replied to spoke about Arcane Spell Failure and some suggestions were made on how to reduce it. I looked around and couldn't find this information all in one place so here it is.

------------------------

Items that reduce Arcane Spell Failure

Seven Fingered Gloves
    Description: Gloves that include Arcane Casting Dexterity
    Location: Possible chest reward in The Titan Awakes. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Fanged Gloves
    Description: Gloves with Lesser Arcane Casting Dexterity
    Location: Possible chest reward in the High Priest of Vol chest.

Morleth's Docent (Dark Scarab Powder)
    Description: Docent with Lesser Arcane Sigil

Tempest Rune of Arcane Sigil
    Description: The Tempest Rune of Arcane Sigil offers -5% Arcane Spell Failure
    Location: Possible end chest reward in Prey on the Hunter. See here for more info.

Sovereign Rune of Arcane Sigil
    Description: The Sovereign Rune of Arcane Sigil offers -10% Arcane Spell Failure
    Location: Possible end chest reward in Stealer of Souls. See here for more info.

Random docents of arcane sigil
    Description: Random docents of arcane sigil

Enhancements

Elven Arcane Fluidity I
    Description: Your arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor is decreased by 5%
    Cost: 1AP

Elven Arcane Fluidity II
    Description: Your arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor is decreased by 10%, and your arcane spell failure chance while wearing medium armor is decreased by 5%.
    Cost: 2AP

Elven Arcane Fluidity III
    Description: Your arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor decreased by 15%, your arcane spell failure chance while wearing medium armor is decreased by 10%, and your arcane spell failure chance while wearing heavy armor or using shields is decreased by 5%.
    Cost: 3AP

Elven Arcane Fluidity IV
    Description: Your arcane spell failure chance while wearing light armor decreased by 20%, your arcane spell failure chance while wearing medium armor is decreased by 15%, and your arcane spell failure chance while wearing heavy armor or using shields is decreased by 10%.
    Cost: 4AP

Warforged Inscribed Armor I
    Description: Removes arcane spell failure from base Warforged Composite Plating. Reduces arcane spell failure chance of the warforged's Mithral Body feat to 10% and the Adamantine Body feat to 30%
    Cost: 1AP
    Note: Inscribed Armor enhancement line only covers WF Body feats. It does not affect ASF from shields or armor.

Warforged Inscribed Armor II
    Description: Removes arcane spell failure from base Warforged Composite Plating. Reduces arcane spell failure chance of the warforged's Mithral Body feat to 5% and the Adamantine Body feat to 25%.
    Cost: 2AP
    Note: Inscribed Armor enhancement line only covers WF Body feats. It does not affect ASF from shields or armor.

Warforged Inscribed Armor III
    Description: Removes arcane spell failure from base Warforged Composite Plating and Mithral Body. Reduces arcane spell failure chance of the warforged's Adamantine Body feat to 20%.
    Cost: 3Ap

Artificer Battle Engineer I
    Description: A workshop is not for you - you prefer to provide logical and technological support on the front lines. you gain 10 hit points, reduce arcane spell failure from armor by 10%, and have a +2 to both confirm critical hits and critical damage (before multipliers). Any weapon you wield in your main hand gains a +2 enhancement bonus (which stacks with the Enchant Weapon spell), and you gain the ability to enchant your crossbow to instantly reload itself, allowing you to lay down incredible amounts of fire for a short period of time.
    Cost: 4Ap
    Note: The 10% reduction to arcane spell failure from armor does not appear to affect the arcane spell failure from warforged plating.

Alchemical Crafting

Crystal Refinement
    Description: -10% Arcane Spell Failure on shields

Epic Augments

Blue, Green or Violet augment slot
    Description: A Blue, Green or Violet augment slot can be used for -15% ASF.
    Cost: 30 Epic Dungeon Tokens
    Note: Using a Blue, Green or Violet augment slot for the -15%ASF reduces spell failure for anything you have equipped (shield, armor, Warforged Body).

Notes
    - Wands are not affected by ASF
    - Divine spells are not affected by asf
    - Divine scrolls are not affected by asf unless they are ALSO on the arcane spell list http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Sor..._Wizard_spells
    - Arcane scrolls are affected by ASF
    - Lesser Arcane Sigil stacks with everything but itself (Credit to Oberon131313)
    - Arcane Sigil stacks with everything but itself. (Credit to Oberon131313)
    - (Lesser/Greater) Arcane Casting Dexterity does not stack with any tiers of itself. (Credit to Oberon131313)
    - Not all arcane spells have ASF, because not all spells have somatic components. Off the top of my head: blur, teleport, knock, dimension door, etc. (Credit to Therrias)

Notes from http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_spell_failure

Both Mithral & Twilight armor and shields reduce the Arcane Spell Failure chance by 10%. These effects stack and in some cases completely negate the Arcane Spell Failure of a given item. Darkleaf armors have a slightly lower Arcane Spell Failure chances (5% less), but this material is used for rather heavy armors (Breastplate and Bandedmail.) and cannot completely negate ASF alone.

Warchanter II receives 0% spell failure in medium armor as an extension of the Bardic abilities in light armor and bypasses the check entirely where other types of Bards still receive a check in some circumstances.

The ASF chances from your armor and your shield add together.

Updated to add new items up to U16 and Epic Destinies

just a couple of additions relating to stacking:

Lesser Arcane Sigil stacks with everything but itself.
    Arcane Sigil stacks with everything but itself.

(Lesser/Greater) Arcane Casting Dexterity does not stack with any tiers of itself.
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Hmm, this really makes me want to get Lorriks shield on my wiz

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    Epic Augments

Blue, Green or Violet augment slot
    Description: A Blue, Green or Violet augment slot can be used for -15% ASF.
    Cost: 30 Epic Dungeon Tokens
    Note: Using a Blue, Green or Violet augment slot for the -15%ASF reduces spell failure for anything you have equipped (shield, armor, Warforged Body).
    I can't confirm it myself, but I've been told this has changed so that the Epic Augment only affects the item that it is slotted on, not any other items. If you're still maintaining this guide, perhaps you can confirm and update this? Thanks.

Also note that with Arcane Casting Dexterity items (including the epic augment) do not stack. Only the highest applies. See this thread for tests.

Mithral armour/shields also are supposed to reduce the arcane spell failure chances, but according to the testing in the linked thread, only apply if you have an Arcane Casting Dexterity (or possibly Arcane Sigil) item equipped.

Artificer battle-engineer I :

-10% asf from armour
    - Kalevala of Khyber- Suomi Funland Perkele -

Community Member

I got a question, with elven arcane fluidity, if you are wearing light or medium armor and a shield does the shield cap it at max 10% reduced? if not how does it take priority?

That one I"m not 100% sure on. As far as I know, the elven arcane fluidity only applies to armor and not to your shield so you would still need to wear something to reduce your ASF from your shield.

Arcane Fluidity 3 or 4 would be needed to reduce ASF from shields.

Honestly, it's just easier to use an epic augment slot to get -15% ASF overall than to spend all those action points. Of course this means you'd have to be level 20 and run epic quests or get really lucky and win a lot of epic tokens in the lotteries.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    I can't confirm it myself, but I've been told this has changed so that the Epic Augment only affects the item that it is slotted on, not any other items. If you're still maintaining this guide, perhaps you can confirm and update this? Thanks.
    In the interest of completing/updating this guide (very little info available on the wiki/forums), the quote above is NOT CORRECT. Maybe it was correct at one point but I just LR'd simply to test this out because I couldn't find a concrete answer.

I just nom'd 30 tokens to blue-slot greater arcane dexterity onto my Epic Cloak of Flames (-15% ASF). In addition, I took all 3 Incribed Armor enhancements (-15% ASF cumulative). With Adamantine Body (35% ASF), my Wizard has a residual ASF of 4% on anything with a somatic component. He's wearing Cormyrian Greenscale and does not use a shield.

If anyone has a suggestion for getting rid of the remaining 4% ASF, I'd appreciate it. Changing armors is not an option, sorry.
    scrollfu! meowfu! +4fu! firstyfu!
    Maarl de Gutter (ret.) ~ Gnaaarl de Mutter (ret.) ~ Nineinch Rails (ret.)
    Intragreenis Druid - Human FvS [x2] Evoker ~ Guttural de Chanter - Elf Wiz [x4] PM
    Potpourri de Foo Foo - WF Wiz [Sx3][FvSx3][Wx3] Shiradi

Updated the guide for U16 and Epic Destinies. No changes recently.

If anyone has a suggestion for getting rid of the remaining 4% ASF, I'd appreciate it. Changing armors is not an option, sorry.
    Nothing that I know of can get rid of the last 4% for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    - Arcane scrolls are affected by ASF
    Its worth noting that not ALL arcane spells have ASF, because not all spells have somatic components.

Off the top of my head: blur, teleport, knock, dimension door, etc.

Its worth noting that not ALL arcane spells have ASF, because not all spells have somatic components.

Off the top of my head: blur, teleport, knock, dimension door, etc.
    I'll add that to the post.

Community Member

My level 14 elf has all 4 of the Elven Arcane Fluidity enhancements. I just cannith crafted a ring with lesser casting dexterity -5% on it and it is not working at all. It's looking like the casting dexterity shards don't stack with enhancements?

Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post

Lesser / Arcane Sigil or 6 levels of arti are your only other options.
    Epic Destiny Planner - http://ddodestiny.info
    Adumbrate, Sienn, Selket, Synaxis, Ognwe-, Halpin, Sivva, Bigstick, Jemus, Colichemarde
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga
    His pant muscles aren't as big as ours...

Quote Originally Posted by Nandos View Post
    My level 14 elf has all 4 of the Elven Arcane Fluidity enhancements. I just cannith crafted a ring with lesser casting dexterity -5% on it and it is not working at all. It's looking like the casting dexterity shards don't stack with enhancements?
    I can confirm this on my elf as well. I have arcane fluidity and my crafted lesser arcane dex does not reduce asf any further. I have level 2 of arcane fluidity ehoch reduces sf on light armor by 10%. When i equip the arcane dex item it does show as reducing asf further. Tried with normal armor. Is this wai? Is it only a display error or do they truleu not stack?

Enhancements should always stack with items. I can't think of any (WAI) enhancements that don't.

Cannith crafting offers the following:

Cannith Crafted Lesser Arcane Casting Dexterity Gloves, Ring or Trinket
    Description: Gloves, Ring or Trinket that include Lesser Arcane Casting Dexterity
    Location: Craftable with a Lesser Arcane Casting Dexterity Shard, which is level 10 arcane (bound) or level 20 arcane (unbound).

Cannith Crafted Lesser Arcane Sigil Docent
    Description: Docents that include Lesser Arcane Sigil
    Location: Craftable with a Lesser Arcane Sigil Shard, which is level 10 arcane (bound) or level 20 arcane (unbound).

Cannith Crafted Arcane Sigil Docent
    Description: Docents that include Lesser Arcane Sigil
    Location: Craftable with a Lesser Arcane Sigil Shard, which is level 22 arcane (bound) or level 43 arcane (unbound).
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Default maybe slightly off topic

I can confirm that Cannith crafted greater twilight stacks with elven enhancements.

Are other arcane casting dex items (non Cannith crafted) stacking with enhancements still?
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast