Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Confirmed 10.

Mortal Voyage lost 5 of 6 in Dreams of Insanity elite. It really was an insane suggestion of quests considering some in the group had never seen the quest before and none of us had ever completed it in permadeath at all on any difficulty. Having said that, we should have gotten farther than we did. We could have played better.
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the near-wipe. Guild first (on hard, elite) don't happen unless some people push the envelope. Cliche', but true. Salute the attempt!
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Default Elite Mired in Kobolds

I am really liking the changes to Shield Mastery and the overall effectiveness of stalwart defenders at the mid-high levels of play. A while back I considered armor class to be irrelevant at higher levels because defender types had low DPS and would get hit anyway.

So I was happy to see Mogardhal pass a recent test without much ado. Mired in Kobolds on elite, max level 15, because The Core requires a bravery-bonus-eligible run. I wanted to see if a dwarven defender could tank the boss. By the way, "tank" is exactly the wrong word, and often misused, because it is employed by people to me both a barbarian with a greatax AND a defender with a fraction of the damage output. Striker is a much better term for that barbarian and other high DPS builds.

The main difference in this case is that the dwarven defender wants to keep aggro in the boss WITHOUT needing much or any healing. While holding aggro, the strikers go about their business taking out the trash and then turning to finish off the boss.

If the defender needs too much healing or can't hold aggro, he might as well bow out and give his spot to a barbarian or horc kensai, etc...

With mass aid, Mogardhal has over 500 hp, and in this test he never dropped below 400. Able to intimidate the boss and reach 66 AC without barkskin, he throttled boss and surrounding enemy fighters with whirlwind attack. He used one lay on hands for about 70 points and that was enough for the battle. Our wizard evokers dispatched foe after foe and then finished the boss who was already bleeding profusely from a multitude of dwarven ax blows.

We completed but didn't bask in glory too long. Optionals left for another day...

Challenge rating
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default Elite Mired in Kobolds

I am really liking the changes to Shield Mastery and the overall effectiveness of stalwart defenders at the mid-high levels of play. A while back I considered armor class to be irrelevant at higher levels because defender types had low DPS and would get hit anyway.

So I was happy to see Mogardhal pass a recent test without much ado. Mired in Kobolds on elite, max level 15, because The Core requires a bravery-bonus-eligible run. I wanted to see if a dwarven defender could tank the boss. By the way, "tank" is exactly the wrong word, and often misused, because it is employed by people to me both a barbarian with a greatax AND a defender with a fraction of the damage output. Striker is a much better term for that barbarian and other high DPS builds.

The main difference in this case is that the dwarven defender wants to keep aggro in the boss WITHOUT needing much or any healing. While holding aggro, the strikers go about their business taking out the trash and then turning to finish off the boss.

If the defender needs too much healing or can't hold aggro, he might as well bow out and give his spot to a barbarian or horc kensai, etc...

With mass aid, Mogardhal has over 500 hp, and in this test he never dropped below 400. Able to intimidate the boss and reach 66 AC without barkskin, he throttled boss and surrounding enemy fighters with whirlwind attack. He used one lay on hands for about 70 points and that was enough for the battle. Our wizard evokers dispatched foe after foe and then finished the boss who was already bleeding profusely from a multitude of dwarven ax blows.

We completed but didn't bask in glory too long. Optionals left for another day...

Challenge rating: 5

Challenge rating
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

The Core decided to give a crack at the new level 16 Webs of Chaos quests on hard. To make matters more interesting we decided to do it with 5 characters, none of which were clerics or favored souls. Our sole healer was a level 17 silver-haired mutt virtuoso bard by the name of Mosashae.

We barely survived and completed the first quest, Lords of Dust.

We scrapped and crawled through part 2, the Servants of the Overlord, with many close calls and near-deaths. But in the end we were overrun. With all our health on slivers, we called for a dimension door retreat. Then our level 17 horc fighter went down. And in the confusion three slipped through two different d-doors but the dwarven greataxe kensai Thweetrock did not make it out. So two were dead. Our artificer had 1 raise dead scroll. The horc fighter Rustytooth decided to let his buddy have the raise, if we could fetch his soul stone, and then released out and left the guild.

Mosashae reentered the fray, fascinated the crowd, and grabbed Thweetrock's soul stone and hit another d-door.

Tough lesson on the limits of our abilities. But I don't do suicide missions. We had a chance to complete that quest on hard. New content, fun as it is, sometimes is the death of you.

/salute!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    The Core decided to give a crack at the new level 16 Webs of Chaos quests on hard. To make matters more interesting we decided to do it with 5 characters, none of which were clerics or favored souls. Our sole healer was a level 17 silver-haired mutt virtuoso bard by the name of Mosashae.

We barely survived and completed the first quest, Lords of Dust.

We scrapped and crawled through part 2, the Servants of the Overlord, with many close calls and near-deaths. But in the end we were overrun. With all our health on slivers, we called for a dimension door retreat. Then our level 17 horc fighter went down. And in the confusion three slipped through two different d-doors but the dwarven greataxe kensai Thweetrock did not make it out. So two were dead. Our artificer had 1 raise dead scroll. The horc fighter Rustytooth decided to let his buddy have the raise, if we could fetch his soul stone, and then released out and left the guild.

Mosashae reentered the fray, fascinated the crowd, and grabbed Thweetrock's soul stone and hit another d-door.

Tough lesson on the limits of our abilities. But I don't do suicide missions. We had a chance to complete that quest on hard. New content, fun as it is, sometimes is the death of you.

/salute!
    Wow! That sounds really really fun. Would have been even more fun if somehow you could have raised both deaths. I don't know how we will play these in MV, but one thing I've already learned from virgin runs is there is no shame at all in teleporting away to fight another day. One of the things I try to bring up in all my high groups doing unfamiliar quests, is how will we escape if faced with an encounter that is going to kill us. Like our runs through Chronoscope, we will push it as far as it makes sense. If we can see completion in our grasp, maybe push it even a bit further. Having said that, I completely agree on suicide missions. Can't say I don't do them (Dreams of Insanity elite) but I'm not fond of adventures with predestined outcome of either sort (certain victory or certain loss). Cheers and stay hard!
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Default Delirium elite

Per guild rules, we are having to choose between level 15 quests on elite, or level 18's on normal, in order to get xp to level to 18. By "we", I mean a few of my characters who have been leveling to 15-17 as soon as they have earned enough xp. A few others in The Core have been bluelining for quite some time at 17 and are inching towards level 19. The have been holding off on leveling to 18 so that we can all make the move together. I have been tardy because of spreading the xp around to three different level 17 characters: an elf wizard, a drow monk/rogue, and a virtuoso mutt.

So far Delirium on elite is the highest level quest we have done on that difficulty. I was nervous going into the boss fight-- the rest of it wasn't too difficult since most of us had run it on hard before-- and it proved to be a feisty encounter. One death, one raise with completion. The death was preventable. But then again, it could have been a whole lot WORSE.

Challenge rating: 6.

Not sure how many more quests in the 15-17 range we'll be able to do on elite, but I'm almost positive most level 17-20 quests will never even be attempted on elite.

Acid Wit might be another. We'll find out soon enough...

/salute!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Acid Wit, Missing, Sinister Storage, and Fear Factory all completed on elite yesterday for the first time in The Core on elite. A few surprising moments, but they were handled fairly well without a death. Acid Wit on elite was probably the most difficult of those four level 15 quests.

The others we did as a party of 5. Hard to fill the party sometimes when it's after midnight

I hope to see some Amrath quests soon and explore the Subterrane as fully as possible. I am familiar with some corners of it, but have no clue where half of the explorer sites are. Wilderness indeed.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default Mindsunder, on hard

A guild first, the first attempt was pure slop. One death, one raise, (our level 16 cleric) and a recall to reset. Better tactics on the second run enabled a completion. As a level 19 quest on hard, it was the highest level quest we have done so far. Not sure how many of the level 18+ quests we will complete on hard but this one wasn't too bad, which is probably due to it's medium length.

Challenge rating with a full party of 18s and one 16: 6.

/salute!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default In the Demon's Den, on normal

A guild first, with most of the party seeing the quest for the first time ever. Our tank was a human stalwart defender, level 14, by the name of Edgruberman. Others in the party were level 16-17. Per Core rules, if we want to run a level 14+ quest on norma, which in this case is a level 18 quest, everyone in the party must be underlevel.

Monincha took point and did all the dirty trap work. If you post here, please, please, please don't spoil. But I noticed a significant difference between normal and hard setting (which I have failed at completing in pug groups with high level toons).

Edgruberman tanked the boss! Yes, even though I think most parties overlook the power of a pure defender, they are extremely useful when allowed to function to their potential.

Monincha did some fancy fist work while attacking the slithering flank. And Abundant step proved useful. Great healing and support by Calidan (16), Osammi (16), Nazwhirli (17), and Glenwiser (16).

Hard will be much more difficult I think.

Challenge rating: 5.

/salute!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default running without a raiser

Not a typical night of questing in The Core. We managed some guild firsts, pulled a lot of good loot, and did most of it without a cleric or favored soul. Here are a few of the challenge ratings:

Coalescence Chamber, on hard, full party of level 16-18 toons. Took a long, long time but it was not particularly difficult. Challenge rating 5.

Mining for Ancient Secrets, Eye of the Titan, Reclaiming Memories, all on normal with a full party. All guild firsts. Challenge rating 4. A one or two close calls but normal is predictably easy. But good to see these quests in PD after about 3 years.

Servants of the Overlord, on hard. Our healer logged off and we decided to 5-man it without a cleric or favored soul. Our warchanter bard had one raise dead scroll at 75% buffed. A very close call to Mosashae, who went from 350 hp to 2, yes TWO, in the final fight and proceeded to leap like a wounded rabbit around the room while crying pathetically into voice chat, omg! omg! omg! Quick healing from the party saved him. Then there was a d-door, regrouping, and completion of the sweetest kind.

Cast: Phunkkuda (level 18 wf arti/rogue), Glenwiser (level 17 dorf warchanter), Thweetrockiv (level 18 dorf kensai), Mosashae (level 18 virtuoso/arcane archer), and Mircow (level 16, human stalwart defender).

Challenge rating: 7.

Finally, the kicker for the evening, a level 19 quest on hard without a cleric or favored soul: Schemes of the Enemy. Three people pulled some pretty snazzy boots (Cannith Boots of Propulsion), and then the loot gods gave a big smile to our 4th party member by leaving another set of those named boots in a final chest. 4-manned on hard.

/salute!
    Last edited by Duncani_Daho; 04-28-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default Blown to Bits, on hard

Forced to run without a cleric or favored soul again, we decided to take a crack at another House Cannith quest and settled on Blown to Bits, on hard. Furthermore, since we had zero ability to raise any fallen ones, we had the feeling the Cannith Armament Storage Facility was one big eggshell.

We had one or two close calls, but Music of the Makers comes in real handy when a horde of irate warforged charge at you And Sustaining Song is turning out to be every bit as useful as the songs employed by Spellsinger II and Warchanter II bards. Song of Capering is icing on the virtuoso cake.

Guild first at this difficulty. Four of six had never seen the quest on any difficulty before. Mosashae and Thweetrockiv each pulled a nifty named necklace.

/salute!

Mosashae
    Thweetrockiv
    Phunkkuda
    Stepsonofmog
    Saandcastle
    Bianshadoo
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default Two Guild first attempts, one failure

Devil assault fell to The Core on elite. It was the first time we had attempted it on elite. We had a good, balanced party, with half of us being well underlevel. Phinkkuda pulled a rare and extremely powerful rune arm: Animus, a tier-five with banishment on it, min level 19.

Penhardfist, level 16 horc monk
    Osammi, level 16 human radiant servant
    Sandcaastle, level 15 horc kensai

Challenge rating: 5

Kudos for going into a tough quest underlevel.

We didn't have the same success in In The Demon's Den in hard. Mosashae was torn to threads after playing cat and mouse for about 15 minutes with a wicked demon wielding 6 swords. We understood the objectives and how it might be completed, but one just has to tip the cap to whatever developers made this challenging quest. Game mechanics make it much more difficult on hard than it is on normal, which we completed a while ago with a level 14-17 group.

A full party of 19s would have a difficult time completing this one. But it definitely can be done. It might be a job for Mogardhal.

Mosashae was resurrected and lives to fight another day. He is 75k from the xp cap.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default In the Flesh on hard, Harbor of Madness finale

Just to confirm that it's a rather difficult (and that's a good thing) finale to the series, The Core 5-manned In The Flesh on hard and had our hands FULL with the end fight.

With the group we had, I'd rate this one at about a challenge rating of 8. Multiple times I looked to see health bars of a few characters at a sliver. And multiple times people were calling out for help after having been incapacitated by our foes. The whole final battle lasted an uncomfortably long time, giving me heartburn, indigestion, a headache and finally a big sigh of relief with completion.

Now I know what happens when you d-door out and reenter. But there will be no spoilers here.

Mogardhal, level 16 dorf fighter 12/paladin 4 defender
    Osammi, level 16 human radiant servant
    Saandcastle, level 16 horc kensai
    Edgruberman, level 15 human stalwart defender
    Glenwiser, level 17 dorf warchanter extrordinaire

Challenge rating: 8

/salute!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Default Genesis Point, guild first

Granted that the Wrath of the Flame (shortish level 19 in Amroth) doesn't really count, The Core decided to take on one of the "big" Amroth quests. We knocked out Wrath of the Flame hard as a warm up and then decided to give Genesis Point a go on normal. 5-man, with all of us have very limited experience in it.

I ran it on my only pug toon 2-3 times about 2 years ago, and others in the party had slightly less knowledge than me. It took us 2.5 hours, with lots of head scratching, heart pounding, and at one point when we were heading into an optional area for completion, my palms were sweating because I'd never seen nor heard about this way of completing the quest. Hats off to the devs for creating an open-ended style with alternate ways of completing the quest.

It felt like I was participating in a piece of cinema and not like I was playing a computer game.

Some close calls, but I wouldn't say we defeated Mission Impossible. On the other hand, I know this group doesn't complete this thing if we go in on hard. So the difficulty was about right for our group. No greensteel? No problem :P

Mosashae, level 18, elf virtuoso arcane archer
    Stepsunofmog, level 18 horc kensai
    Oszetta, level 18 horc paladin defender
    Yggy, level 17, elf radiant servant arcane archer
    Saandcastle, level 16, horc kensai

/salute!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Granted that the Wrath of the Flame (shortish level 19 in Amroth) doesn't really count, The Core decided to take on one of the "big" Amroth quests. We knocked out Wrath of the Flame hard as a warm up and then decided to give Genesis Point a go on normal. 5-man, with all of us have very limited experience in it.

I ran it on my only pug toon 2-3 times about 2 years ago, and others in the party had slightly less knowledge than me. It took us 2.5 hours, with lots of head scratching, heart pounding, and at one point when we were heading into an optional area for completion, my palms were sweating because I'd never seen nor heard about this way of completing the quest. Hats off to the devs for creating an open-ended style with alternate ways of completing the quest.

It felt like I was participating in a piece of cinema and not like I was playing a computer game.

Some close calls, but I wouldn't say we defeated Mission Impossible. On the other hand, I know this group doesn't complete this thing if we go in on hard. So the difficulty was about right for our group. No greensteel? No problem :P

Mosashae, level 18, elf virtuoso arcane archer
    Stepsunofmog, level 18 horc kensai
    Oszetta, level 18 horc paladin defender
    Yggy, level 17, elf radiant servant arcane archer
    Saandcastle, level 16, horc kensai

/salute!
    Congratulations on the completion. Understood that level 18s with your knowledge wouldn't complete on hard, but if you were mostly level 20s? I'm curious because that is how we'll first face it in Mortal Voyage. Without knowing anything else but what you posted, it seems reasonable.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Congratulations on the completion. Understood that level 18s with your knowledge wouldn't complete on hard, but if you were mostly level 20s? I'm curious because that is how we'll first face it in Mortal Voyage. Without knowing anything else but what you posted, it seems reasonable.
    Yes, I think MV could not only pull off Genesisi Point on hard with level 19-20 characters, but you'd have an absolute blast doing it. In my judgement no previous experience or knowledge is required. And that goes for gear too. But I don't know all the various ways of completing the quest.

I get the sense that most people familiar with Amrath would say Genesis Point is the easiest of the 4 flagging quests out there.

However, I am fairly certain that no group of "virgins" could hope to enter Bastion of Power, Sins of Attrition, and New Invasion and get a completion. Even with multiple scouting attempts, going in and d-door out, you'd still be facing boss fight that would be hectic, brutal, and brief because ppl would die.

Having a level 20 air savant us not enough. She needs to know exactly what to do before the fight begins. Minus actual experience or YouTube videos of others completing it, virgins would not stand a chance.

But I would be rooting for you in Genesis Point. I'd buy a ringside seat because I think it would be pure adventure.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

We've been running non-pd in short-manned groups in The Core. Since we have given ourselves to die, shrine, twink and spoil, we run with an elite streak. Surprisingly, we have failed to complete quite a few quests: Acid Wit, Delerium, and barely completed others like Blockade Buster, which is a brutal little playground with an elite streak. We don't have crowd control: ranger, monk, twf fighter, and a Druid/rogue.

Disintegrate does a lot MORE damage now than ever before. 400 points or more.

But looking back it makes me scratch my head about being able to complete some of the quests with core rules 5-man without a healer.

Glory days
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789