Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Default Bluff and diplo in U9?

So what's the growing consensus on bluff and diplomacy now that the update is here? Diplo seems like a requirement to keep your threat low and bluff now acts like a poor man's radiance (which I personally like because with 24 shroud completions I've gotten 3 large scales, so no radiance for me yet). Bluff is still the obvious choice for soloing, but can be quite handy in a group now as well. And both are still useful for various quest options. They share a timer, so is it desirable to have both for use as the situation demands?

I say diplo necessary. Bluff optional, but convenient. What has been everyone else's experience so far?

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

I'd want to do it the other way. Take Bluff, not worry about Diplo.
    I have Diplo on my Rogue as an emergency from waaaaay back in the day. Never use it, even with the changes. Ran a Tower, (guild group) and didn't need to worry about aggro. I do have the -threat toggle, though.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

before the update, i needed tharnes set on top of my SBIII to no get aggro. now i dont need extra threat red. before i attack the boss, i use bluff, then madstone, past life, haste and HVdamage. when action boosts are on the timer, i use diplo. rinse repeat all.

ofc, with tharne's set i wouldn't need all that. or with all that i might not need subbtleIII
    Jesus saves. Everyone else rounds to nearest 5%.

Sarlona: Nafaka[Rogue] Nandu[Monk] Neotheny[Wizard]
    Bullet Fist Tony My rogue's build

Beside cooldowns (and bluff works for 6 seconds SA), I dont see a major update to those skills, and it seems they work pretty much the same pre U9.
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4405 View Post
    before the update, i needed tharnes set on top of my SBIII to no get aggro. now i dont need extra threat red. before i attack the boss, i use bluff, then madstone, past life, haste and HVdamage. when action boosts are on the timer, i use diplo. rinse repeat all.
    That's what I'm feeling right now, with some variations; still playing with it, still running SB IV but not Tharne's at the moment (switching from DT outfits to DT leathers to use one of the armor kits).

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4405 View Post
    ofc, with tharne's set i wouldn't need all that. or with all that i might not need subbtleIII
    Maaaaybe...not sure how much agro % diplo is dumping per use, but it definitely is making a difference vs old diplo.
    Brenna and Tzanna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

If you don't have Radiance 2, I'd say Bluff has some use in soloing. Given dungeon scaling while solo, there's not much you can't kill face to face in 6 sec or less, so Bluff is very useful there (not to mention it's a sneak attack chance when you want it, and not based on when your weapon procs). It also still has uses for single pulls.

Diplo I find more useful in groups/raids, where sneak damage access is far less of a concern and where you want to stay low on the radar.

I also find diplo is easier to boost than bluff. Not many bluff +10 or +15 items floating around there, unless you happened to throw it on your CC helm while the event was on.

By the sounds of it, you're very close to getting your Rad2 (given the number of Shrouds you've run).
    I'd be inclined to stick with Diplo, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MiahooJunk View Post
    Beside cooldowns (and bluff works for 6 seconds SA), I dont see a major update to those skills, and it seems they work pretty much the same pre U9.
    You might not have noticed but pre U9 diplo just dumped you at the bottom of the threat list for around 6 sec then you almost always popped back on the first place. If you used diplo once, you had to keep using it every 6 sec or stop fighting for a while.
    After U9:
    Quote Originally Posted by Release Notes
    The diplomacy skill now reduces a player's threat with affected creatures, in addition to the skill's prior behavior. A greater percentage of threat is removed depending on a player's diplomacy score.
    In other words, i don't have to hit diplo every 6 sec when fighting Malicia for example but use it 2-3 times and it's enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute-Omniscience View Post
    Did Einstein solo eLoB without pots or what?
    Guild: Captain's Crew
    Characters: Kyorli , Xunrae , Halisstra , Nyarly

Quote Originally Posted by brzytki View Post
    In other words, i don't have to hit diplo every 6 sec when fighting Malicia for example but use it 2-3 times and it's enough.
    And its 4 seconds SA when bluff, not 6 as I wrote.
    Server: Cannith
    Mains: Miahoo, Miahoorog

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Diploing trolls... aka why bother.

Trolls in madstone crater as well as in AH: rescue the girl quest, wanted me dead. I didn't attack them at all. Each diplo was successful. THREE TIMES! By the time a fourth diplo could be done, the rest of the party had killed them off. They trolls never stopped chasing my bard.

My conclusion... diplo has become F'n worthless and is great as an agro gather method.
    Or, bards are just argo gatherers beyond compare.

Oh yeah, and no. I was NOT the furthest in the back. I've been about the middle if not the front due to that old agro bug. The ONLY way I've been 100% successful in not getting inital agro is to have a summoned monster up.

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Consensus seems to be about the same as before the update: bluff for solo play, diplo in groups. I've been enjoying bluff on my rogue much more so than pre-U9. I haven't had much chance to use diplo, but i do seem to drop agro easier and have to do so less often now. Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

Red face

When i trick Mr Troll to make him turn around it works for just 4 swings instead of 6sec (or 4 sec).I a not sure if anybody else is having the same issue and i am pretty sure my squeak swings faster than 4 times in 4 sec... (and i do make the skill check and the little symbol pops up over his head)