Community Member

Default what is the most boring ranger level

I got level 6 of ranger and suddenly have multishot, and Tempest and my TWF is now doing decent damage and everything was great.

But eventually I got enough XP to go to level 7 and, well it seems rather dull, so I've been staying at level 6 banking XP and I'm almost at the point I can skip right to level 8, only it seems a bit dull too.

What level of ranger would you just skip if you could?

7th gets you 20pt resists. Those are pretty much elemental immunity at that level, so why are you complaining? I really wouldn't skip any ranger levels as your to-hit keeps going up and I don't get why you seem to think you're going to see huge strides in your ranger every level. From your post I'm thinking your a first-life ranger, so you don't even need to bank levels anyways. There's plenty of xp to not worry about this.
    Dreadbringer::DreadEngine::DreadCountes::DreadWarrior::DreadMaster::PinkyDiddles::Lennal::DreadMistres::DreadMatron::DreadCherub::DreadKing::More Coming!

I skipped level 19 on my ranger since it doesn't add much and it made it easier to get to level 20 that way, as it meant less xp penalties in quests.

Level 7 at least nets you improved wild empathy. Sure it only comes into play occasionally, but being able to charm animals is still a neat trick. Also, it is really much easier to get xp at lower levels anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    One day you'll want to punch a smarmy Planetar in the face. It'll be nice to have then. "Look at me! I'm so shiny!"

Community Member

I was actually only banking the XP because a friend has a lower level character and I wanted to be able to group with him without incurring too much of a penalty.

This question was more looking for a general opinion rather than looking for some analytical break down of what level is best skipped. The change from level 5 to 6 was quite a change, I went from just swinging a great axe to dual weapons, my bow went from doing enough to upset monsters to being able to insta-kill (if I got lucky) and I finally had enough spell points to cast spells.

It was as good a level as when my wizard got firewall for the first time. :-)

I don't expect any other levels will be as big an improvement.

Level 11 will be your next "big" level, with Precise Shot/Improved Precise Shot and Greater Two Weapon Fighting... and don't forget about your Resist Energy Spell, which now grants 30 point immunity, along with a 30 point Jump spell.

Then level 12 will give you Tempest II and +5 Barkskin.

Level 14 gives you access to fouth level Ranger spells (Freedom of Movement).

After that, level 15 will give your next Favored Enemy.

Level 17 grants Hide in Plain Sight, although if you've ignored Hide/Move Silently it'll do you no good.

Finally level 18 gives you Tempest III... from there you can either go pure for another Favored Enemy and the Capstone (although as a Tempest it'll be somewhat lackluster since it boosts Ranged attack speed) or splash 2 levels of another class or 1 level of two different classes (Exploiter, I'm looking at you).
    WeiQuinn (Ranger 20/Epic 8) Syris (Ranger 18/Rogue 2/Epic 8) Torsade (Fighter 17) VaConMorte (Ranger 11/Monk 9/Epic 6) Neckron (Wizard 20/Epic 1) Shandrea (Ranger 15) Ryeva (Druid 12) Longthorne (Barbarian 6)

If i could i will skip lvs 13-20 of ranger. :-)
    Also if you are tempest 19-20 are quite hard to justife.

Besides, i personnally bank levels quite early, since it helps in doing all quest in level range for extra xp/favor.

Community Member

1-20, roll a rogue.

17-20 were the hardest for me, I just got bored of playing my ranger at that point.

lvl 3 for any character at all, I want my carnifex dammit
    Two Plus Two makes TwentySeven and I bit your rat in half. What now?