Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Online DDO Character Generator

This is the official thread for the Online DDO Character Generator found at:
    http://www.ddochargen.com

Updates/Bug-Fix Info will be posted here in this thread and I also check here regularly to gather any feedback or bug-reports players may have. (There's a Bug Submission form on the site itself, but posting here will allow me to solicit clarification when needed.)

Thanks for your support!

F.A.Q.

Q: Are you trying to compete with the DDO Character Planner by Ron?
    A: Not at all. I have great respect for what Ron and his team have done. In fact, I have even more appreciation for their work after going through this long process (Enhancement database population is something I'll have nightmares about for quite a long time!). The objectives for creating this site were simply a combination of personal challenge and hopefully to provide something useful to the community for times when only a web-based application is available. The DDO Character Planner will always have many advantages over this site; speed, graphics, and support for a less-linear approach being the most prevalent.

My hope is that both tools can be used for their respective strengths. If desired, perhaps I can also look into providing an export format to allow DDOCharGen builds to be imported into the Planner.

Q: Are you looking for donations?
    A: No, thank you.

Q: Do you support all browsers?
    A: I've tested the site in IE8, IE9, Chrome 10, and Firefox 4. I will state that IE9 appears to provide the fastest performance on the site, but it should work fine in all. The site dimensions also work well on the iPad browser (just remember to "two-finger scroll" within the frame windows when necessary). Unfortunately, limited testing on Android browsers has shown no solution to being able to scroll within a frame (perhaps certain variations of the OS or browsers can overcome this).

Q: Do I need to create an account?
    A: No. There are no accounts on the site. Each Build you create will be assigned a unique Build ID number (after you advance the Build to Level 2). Just simply remember that Build ID number and you can return to the site to continue editing that build.

Q: Do I download my created Builds? Where are they saved?
    A: All created Builds are stored internally within the DDO Character Generator database. There is no actual "downloading" of Builds. However, after you've completed your Build (to whatever Level you want), you may wish to print your Build and keep it as a reference if you're going to use it for an actual DDO character (just choose the Printable Page option from the drop down list).

Q: What's preventing someone else from coming back and editing my Build?
    A: At any time after your Build has been assigned a Build ID number (i.e., starting at Level 2), you can enter a Passcode for your Build ID. Anyone wishing to edit that Build at a later time must enter the Passcode. PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR BUILD ID AND PASSCODE!

Q: I've forgotten my Passcode!
    A: If your Build has not yet been converted to an Archive State, you can use the Clone Build feature (see below) to create an editable copy of your old build.

Q: Can I jump around between levels of my Build?
    A: Not really. The current architecture of the site follows a linear forward/back approach. Within a level, you can go forward and back between the various steps. However, at the end of each level, your Build is saved and can only jump back to the beginning of the previous level (you can continue to jump back to the beginning of Level 2, although you'll lose all of your selections from the higher levels). You can also restart the current level at any time.

Q: At what points can I save my Build?
    A: Builds are automatically saved to the database at the end of each level (i.e., after Enhancement selection). Saves are not done within a level, so if you need to leave and return later, please progress your Build to the end of the current level.

Q: How long will my Builds be maintained?
    A: The current intention is for Builds that are taken up to Level 20 to be kept more-or-less indefinitely. However, due to database size limitations, Builds are only editable/clonable for a few days. This allows users to take a break and return to the Build process at a later time. It also allows for a period of discussion/review on forum threads and for alternate Build suggestions to be made using the Clone Build feature. After the editing window has completed, Level 20 Builds will be converted to a permanent Archive State. In this Archive State, Builds can still be Viewed, Printed, Forum Exported, and Linked-to, but not Edited or Cloned. Builds that were not taken up to Level 20 will be deleted to make room for new Builds. (Archived Builds are stored on the file system instead of the database.)

Q: Can I share my Builds with others?
    A: Absolutely! In fact, that's one of the main goals of the site: to share various Build ideas amongst the community. There are three ways to share your Build:
    1) Simply inform others of the Build ID number and they can come to the site and review your Build (remember to Protect it from anonymous editing first!)
    2) Provide the direct link to your Build using: http://www.ddochargen.com/home.aspx?build=nnn (where nnn is your Build ID number)
    3) Use the Forum Export feature of the Journal where you can copy/paste the BB codes into a DDO Forum Post which will be well-formatted for forum readers

Q: Why can't I name my Build?
    A: Text input has been intentionally kept to a minimum on the site. This will prevent the need of filtering or monitoring since the Builds are all public. When posting a Build to the forums, you can certainly add a name as part of your post at that point.

Q: I've created the perfect Build and I don't ever want it touched again!
    A: When your Build reaches Level 20, you have the option of permanently Locking the Build from further edits (even by you). Be aware that this cannot be undone!

Q: Someone posted a Build that's pretty good, but I think I could make it slightly better. Do I have to recreate their whole Build from scratch?
    A: Not for recently created Builds. One of the convenient features of the tool is that you can Clone an existing Build (regardless if the original Build is Protected or Locked). The cloned Build will be assigned a new Build ID number and will be editable by you (and everyone else until you enter a Passcode to Protect it.) Although, as mentioned above, after Builds are converted to an Archive State (i.e., after one week), they are no longer Clonable.

Q: Why are there no descriptions for the various Feats, Enhancements, etc.?
    A: Tool-tips are slowly being added to various portions of the build process. In the meantime, on most steps of the build process, there are links to the relevant sections of the DDO Wiki.

Q: Is there a way to turn on "unavailable" Feats/Enhancements so I can see what will be available for my character in upcoming levels?
    A: Currently, no. While technically possible, there are a number of performance drains that would occur if it were added.

Q: Why are there no Spell selections?
    A: Since Spell selections generally have little impact on the rest of your Build (i.e., there are no passive impacts to stats, etc.) and because players can swap-out spell selections (some classes easier than others), it was decided to skip the additional work of adding spell selections to the build process. They may be added at a future time.

Q: I found an error or bug in your tool. Would you like me to inform you?
    A: Yes! Please submit any bugs or errors to this thread or by using the link at the bottom of the site. Comments and suggestions can also be submitted to this thread or sent to admin@ddochargen.com
    Last edited by Narsil_Shard; 09-04-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Default Bug Submission Clarifications

There are three unconfirmed Bug Submissions on the site that I'd like to post for clarification/help-with:

Bug Report #1: Building a Monk from a TR'd barbarian. Swim does not appear on the class skill list.
    Are TR'd characters supposed to get the class-skill list from their past life as "class skills" for their new life?

Bug Report #2: Monk again. 1st level. Feat missing: Deflect Arrows.
    I'm assuming this is referring to the "general" feat selection screen. According to the Wiki, Deflect Arrows must still be taken only as a Monk Martial Arts feat. (They are changing that rule for Stunning Fist in Update 9, but I see no mention of it for Deflect Arrows.)

Bug Report #3: Started a new build, (3rd build) 2 previous taken to 20, one stripped back to 2 and built back up to 20 no real problems. This build, no NEXT button on initial screen. only has box for build number.
    I'm currently unable to duplicate this behavior, but I'm assuming it's some form of display error. Perhaps a session issue since I just did an update. Closing and reopening all browsers may clear the problem. However, if anyone else is seeing this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Default Update - 4/27/2011

Posted a small update to the site:
    - Updated starting Paladin and Ranger mana levels for Update 9
    - Provided link to this thread on the Bug Submission screen

Default Update - 4/29/11

Bug Fixes:
    - Drow now have proper selection of Ability Point choices (28, 30, and 32)

I enjoyed using it, but I found a bug I submitted. If you boost your characters intelligence with items, or as a wizard from AP, it gives you bonus skill points you normally do not get. I simply did my own calculations and dumped them elsewhere but a newer player might think a +2 int item really will give more skill points on level up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varis View Post
    Is that a trick question? A nuker should heighten, empower and maximise flushing the toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by fmalfeas View Post
    It will do damage like taking a point-blank meteor swarm in the crotch. You hear me people, stop encouraging Turbine to meteor swarm crotches!

Quote Originally Posted by LordRavnos View Post
    I enjoyed using it, but I found a bug I submitted. If you boost your characters intelligence with items, or as a wizard from AP, it gives you bonus skill points you normally do not get. I simply did my own calculations and dumped them elsewhere but a newer player might think a +2 int item really will give more skill points on level up.
    I fixed the INT bonus from Equipment giving extra skill points the other day, but now that you mention it, I think there still may be a bug dealing with INT bonus from Enhancements providing extra Skill Points.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Default Enhancement DB Correction - 4/29/2011

Just corrected a minor error in the Enhancement DB:
    - Sorcerers and Wizards can now properly choose Storm Manipulation I

Thanks for the bug submission.

seems to be missing the Electricity caster enhancements. I don't see the first lightning manipulation in there.

EDIT: NVM, I checked it and Storm manipulation I is a level 3 enhancement. Why the heck is that one different from the others? GRRR!
    Last edited by Gnorbert; 04-29-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    - Douglas Adams -

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorbert View Post
    seems to be missing the Electricity caster enhancements. I don't see the first lightning manipulation in there.

EDIT: NVM, I checked it and Storm manipulation I is a level 3 enhancement. Why the heck is that one different from the others? GRRR!
    Yeah, for whatever reason, Turbine set it up as:
    Acid, Flame, Frost, and Repair Manipulation as Level 1
    Force Manipulation as Level 2
    and Storm Manipulation as Level 3

Default Enhancement INT Bonus - Skill Point Issue Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by LordRavnos View Post
    Just posted a fix. So I think Skill Points should now only be using the INT bonus from your base value (and not equipment and/or enhancements).

Thanks.

This interface is really difficult to use only provides links to outside sources to see the corresponding ability. Putting the description text inside would be incredibly helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdychaz View Post
    This interface is really difficult to use only provides links to outside sources to see the corresponding ability. Putting the description text inside would be incredibly helpful.
    Yes, adding "pop-up" descriptions for things is definitely on my Improvements list.

It sounds like you may be referring specifically to Skills (showing the corresponding Ability). Since that's a much shorter list (over Feats and Enhancements), those pop-ups may definitely come way before others.

Thanks for checking out the site!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to the quickly growing size of all the build data, the database limits are closing-in faster than originally intended. As a result, routine clean-up maintenance will need to be conducted. Builds that are less than Level 20 will be removed after a few weeks of inactivity (i.e., not being accessed). Level 20 Builds that are more than a few weeks old will be converted to an Archived state so they can still be viewed and linked-to, however they will no longer be editable nor clonable. The exact time frames will be dependent on database space. Thank you.

Additional info: The biggest space culprit is that the site takes a "snapshot" of each build at the end of each level. This allows users to back-track down the levels if desired, although the downside is it takes up a lot of database space. So Archiving will be a huge space savings (plus, I'll be moving Archived build data to the regular file system which I'm in abundance of; further freeing-up database storage).

Default Feat DB Fixed

Fixed Feat DB for Quicken Spell (PreReq is now just ability to cast spells as opposed to 2nd Level spells).

Thanks to whomever submitted the Bug Report!

Default Site Update - 5/10/2011

Posted a minor functionality update to the site. Race selection now includes tool-tips for descriptions of each race (when hovering over the selection choices).

This is the first step in adding more info to selections throughout the tool. Abilities, Skills, Feats, and Enhancements will all be updated to include tooltips in future releases.

Default Bug Submission Response

I received the following Bug Report on the site:
    built a rogue at lvl one with 8 intelligence. Skill points seemed fine. Took ranger at lvl 2 and received 6 skill points. I believe this should be 5.

The character you were building was Human and gets 1 extra skill point at each level-up. So 6 should be right.
    (6 Base - 1 INT Penalty + 1 Human Bonus)

Default Enhancement DB Fix

Updated Enhancement DB to make Storm Manipulation I available to Level 1 Sorcerers and Wizards.

The Update 9 Patch Notes list it as:
    Storm Manipulation I
    Prereqs: Level 3 Sorcerer or Wizard

However, the Compendium shows it as Level 1. So I'll go with that until I roll a test character to confirm (unless someone else can confirm for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Narsil_Shard View Post
    Bug Fixes:
    - Drow now have proper selection of Ability Point choices (28, 30, and 32)
    Isn't this wrong? The only way Drow get an ability point increase is after a TR.

Quote Originally Posted by stricq View Post
    Isn't this wrong? The only way Drow get an ability point increase is after a TR.
    Well the fix was that they previously could select 28, 32, 34, and 36. Now the choices are correct for Drow.

But I think I see what you're saying: let a user's choices made at Past Life selection determine how many Ability Points are available. It does change it to 30 or 32 if they select 1 or 2+ past lives, but it doesn't prevent them from lowering it back down (or raising it up even if they didn't actually pick any past lives).

I guess I just went with the "user override" option to provide more freedom to the user, but I suppose there's no logical way they could really build a character with 30 or 32 without having TR'd. (Same would go for non-Drow at 34 and 36.)

Default New Archive/Delete Schedule

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    There's been a recent surge in Build creation rates on the site (which is great!). However we're approaching database limits very quickly. So, the new standard methodology of the site will be a straight-forward one week editing window for all Builds. That is, when a Build is created, it will be editable and clonable for one week. This allows users to take a break and return to the build process at a later time. It also allows for a period of discussion/review on forum threads and for alternate Build suggestions to be made using the Clone Build feature.

After the week-long editing window has completed, Level 20 Builds will be converted to a permanent Archive State. In this Archive State, Builds can still be Viewed, Printed, Forum Exported, and Linked-to, but not Edited or Cloned. Builds that were not taken up to Level 20 will be deleted to make room for new Builds. (Archived Builds are stored on the file system instead of the database. There's enough room for literally over a million Archived Builds on the file system.)

Thank you for interest in the site and your continued support!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast