Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Monks wraps

  1. #1
    Founder
    Enlightened Completionist
    Marten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    616

    Lightbulb Monks wraps

    There has to be some code for handwraps that is completely separate from all other weapons coding.

    There have been issues in the past, force rituals, stacking frost and icy burst, epic wraps get changed in testing from +5 to +6 but the damage did not change.

    Now with this crafting system you could take the + off any item except wraps and so far all wraps I have made the + enhancement shards are not WAI while all the other weapons I have added the + enhancement shards to are WAI.

    So, just a fyi to all the monks out there on this issue and a nudge to the Dev team in charge of new items... please stop forgetting that wraps are not changed by the same code/switch that all other weapons seem to be changed by.

    Thank you.
    Martens -The Enlightened One, Triple-Cubed Completionist, "Abbot Slayer," Mournlander (30 Monk Martens' 3.0 Build) * Marten (30 Cleric) Sarlona
    ** My IRL Epic **

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    150

    Default

    DDO, like most MMOs, is coded in several library files. The reasoning for that is simple, you don't have to outsource the entire server in order to hire developers for a new expansion. Likely what you say is 100% accurate, handwraps are sitting in a different assembly just like the monk is.

    IT people are lazy and have high demands made of them to do something. They procrastinate and then have to get everything done three weeks after the deadline in a half-reared state. This uncompleted feature is buggy and doesn't work and they know it. It's just patched together enough for the uppers to sell it and they spend the next month or fifty debugging it under a different operation time line which only exists because they were generally pretending their job is harder than it was beforehand. Such is the secret of developing and the reason why so many programs have glaring mistakes and fail to operate their highlighted features so well. I haven't seen anything suggesting Turbine is an exception.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    28

    Default

    It probably has a unique method for handling because hand wraps do not have a base damage.

    The base die damage is based on the character using them, and sometimes equipment and TR buffs.

    It makes perfect sense that the code is different.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    There has to be some code for handwraps that is completely separate from all other weapons coding.

    There have been issues in the past, force rituals, stacking frost and icy burst, epic wraps get changed in testing from +5 to +6 but the damage did not change.

    Now with this crafting system you could take the + off any item except wraps and so far all wraps I have made the + enhancement shards are not WAI while all the other weapons I have added the + enhancement shards to are WAI.

    So, just a fyi to all the monks out there on this issue and a nudge to the Dev team in charge of new items... please stop forgetting that wraps are not changed by the same code/switch that all other weapons seem to be changed by.

    Thank you.
    Handwraps work in a completely different way than normal weapons. That being said, work was done to allow them to work like normal weapons for crafting and festival recipe effects. If you experience an effect that does not work on handwraps in crafting please submit a bug.

  5. #5
    Founder
    Enlightened Completionist
    Marten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    616

    Exclamation Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    Handwraps work in a completely different way than normal weapons. That being said, work was done to allow them to work like normal weapons for crafting and festival recipe effects. If you experience an effect that does not work on handwraps in crafting please submit a bug.
    I have submitted bug reports on both issues, this new one shown in pic 1 (no + to hit or damage on crafted items) and the one with the Epic wraps (only adding +5 to damage when it should be +6) many months ago shown in pic 2.

    I know that things take time to fix, but the Epic Ring of the Buccaneer was fixed while I have not even seen an acknowledgement that there is an issue with the Epic Wraps and that leads me to fear that these crafted wraps are going to be over looked as well.

    Pic 1


    Pic2


    I hope that these get added to the "to do" list or at least "known issues" although that list usually means there is no hope.

    Again, I thank you for your hard work.
    Martens -The Enlightened One, Triple-Cubed Completionist, "Abbot Slayer," Mournlander (30 Monk Martens' 3.0 Build) * Marten (30 Cleric) Sarlona
    ** My IRL Epic **

  6. #6

    Default

    Hey KT, thanks for the info. It's much appreciated!

    Since you're being so forthright, I'm going to ask a fast question here.

    Certain melee effects brought about by wearable items are currently not working with handwraps (ravager's set damage, destruction on Dragontouched armor, shocking blow from the bold trinket). Are these things working as intended or is there hope in the future that they might eventually work with handwraps?

    P.S. not asking for the any promises of getting coding to work here, just wondering if these effects are not working intentionally (because they're overpowering when used by monks) or if it was a glitch of some sort that might someday be fixed (but probably isn't priority #1 right now).

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesster View Post
    Certain melee effects brought about by wearable items are currently not working with handwraps (ravager's set damage, destruction on Dragontouched armor, shocking blow from the bold trinket). Are these things working as intended or is there hope in the future that they might eventually work with handwraps?
    There was a bug that should be fixed in the next update that prevented a number of "on a 20" effects from working together. This included Shocking Blow, Stone prison and a few others. The bug would have only allowed one effect to be dominant. In the update they should all work happily together.

    The Ravager's Cut effect is a slashing effect and monk fists are not slashing weapons. <-- This was incorrect, the effect itself requires a melee weapon and the proc is slashing damage. Unarmed does not count as a melee weapon.
    Last edited by KoboldTerror; 04-25-2011 at 01:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Community Member Avidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    There was a bug that should be fixed in the next update that prevented a number of "on a 20" effects from working together. This included Shocking Blow, Stone prison and a few others. The bug would have only allowed one effect to be dominant. In the update they should all work happily together.
    Glad to hear some handwrap issues being taken care of, this is good news.

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    The Ravager's Cut effect is a slashing effect and monk fists are not slashing weapons.
    This does pose a question, for me at least, how exactly is the of Bleeding suffix handled on handwraps?
    It seems like it would also be a slashing effect.

    I am also wondering if you can use the Raverger's Cut set effect with a warhammer / maul / mace / morningstar / quarterstaff?
    Would it at least work with Rahl's Might?

    As far as I am aware, the Ravager's set bonus worked with all other weapons, slashing/piercing/bludgeoning. It was just unarmed that it was not functioning with. Knowing that it is not supposed to work with bludgeon at all raises some questions though. Any more clarification that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks for your posting KT
    Last edited by Avidus; 04-25-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Spelling and Wall 'o text spacing
    ~ Rukan 4/3 pal/mnk(Past Life mnk x3) ~ Ignavus 16 wiz(Past Life sor/wiz) ~ Styphon 20 Game Deformer(Past Life Clr) ~
    ~ Wyek 7/6 mnk/ftr ~ Lystara 5/6/2 ftr/rng/mnk ~ Tinder 12 brb ~

  9. #9
    Community Member FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    The Ravager's Cut effect is a slashing effect and monk fists are not slashing weapons.
    what about karate chops? i'd love a vorpal unarmed weapon... :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Avidus View Post

    This does pose a question, for me at least, how exactly is the of Bleeding suffix handled on handwraps?
    It seems like it would also be a slashing effect.
    never seen kickboxer with van damme, where they put all the shards of broken glass on the handraps? i kinda assume its like that
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  10. #10
    Community Member knightgf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    The Ravager's Cut effect is a slashing effect and monk fists are not slashing weapons.
    However, keep in mind that there can be effects that use the slash damage type rather than bludgeon when it comes to a few (Currently not implemented) monk abilities.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    The Ravager's Cut effect is a slashing effect and monk fists are not slashing weapons.
    Does that mean it's unintended for, say, a barbarian with this set to get the additional Ravager's Cut effect while wielding a maul?
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    There was a bug that should be fixed in the next update that prevented a number of "on a 20" effects from working together. This included Shocking Blow, Stone prison and a few others. The bug would have only allowed one effect to be dominant. In the update they should all work happily together.

    The Ravager's Cut effect is a slashing effect and monk fists are not slashing weapons.
    As shown by the Brawling Gloves, monk fists can have additional damage type added by itemization (1d4 piercing via the gloves). I'm all for keeping to theme, but it would be nice if things were consistent. After all, you are getting an additional 'slashing' damage effect on your weapon by wearing a fancy ring and belt. It doesn't seem so far off that it could work on your 2d10-2d12 monk blunt-lightsaber fists of doom.

    It's forkin magic, we ain't gotta explain this stuff
    Vasska - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    Does that mean it's unintended for, say, a barbarian with this set to get the additional Ravager's Cut effect while wielding a maul?
    The way it is working now is as intended. The effect needs a melee weapon to proc, and unarmed does not trigger this. The effect itself generates slashing type damage.
    Sorry I was unclear before, my Kobold brain is recovering from the weekend.
    Last edited by KoboldTerror; 04-25-2011 at 01:49 PM.

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    Does that mean it's unintended for, say, a barbarian with this set to get the additional Ravager's Cut effect while wielding a maul?
    so many bugs. . .so little time!


    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    I believe the way it is working now is as intended.
    ha!

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    I believe the way it is working now is as intended.
    sadface, no unarmed ravagers in the future if it ever comes out
    Vasska - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith

  16. #16
    Community Member Avidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    Does that mean it's unintended for, say, a barbarian with this set to get the additional Ravager's Cut effect while wielding a maul?
    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    I believe the way it is working now is as intended.
    So, correct me if I am wrong here, I don't have a maul wielding barbarian handy at the moment, but is it meant to be defined as Working As Intended for a bludgeoning maul to get the 'slashing' only Ravager's Cut effect, but applying the same effect to the same type (bludgeoning) of damage from unarmed combat is somehow wrong?

    Again thanks for the reply's KT, but I think some further clarification is needed. Can anyone confirm one way or the other that the Ravager's set bonus works with bludgeoning or piercing weapons? If it in fact does only work with slashing weapons, well then, problem solved, no issue here. On the other hand, if it does indeed work with piercing / bludgeoning weapons, well then, I think everyone can see the issue with the inconsistancies we have here.

    EDIT: saw KT's edit
    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    The way it is working now is as intended. The effect needs a melee weapon to proc, and unarmed does not trigger this. The effect itself generates slashing type damage.
    Sorry I was unclear before, my Kobold brain is recovering from the weekend.
    so this means that it has nothing to do with bludgeoning or any other type of damage then right? It is strictly an unarmed combat issue that is intended and therefore never going to apply to those using handwraps. I don't think I like the sound of that, but there is nothing I can do except never use the set it seems...
    Last edited by Avidus; 04-25-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Saw KoboldTerrors edit / spelling
    ~ Rukan 4/3 pal/mnk(Past Life mnk x3) ~ Ignavus 16 wiz(Past Life sor/wiz) ~ Styphon 20 Game Deformer(Past Life Clr) ~
    ~ Wyek 7/6 mnk/ftr ~ Lystara 5/6/2 ftr/rng/mnk ~ Tinder 12 brb ~

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KoboldTerror View Post
    The way it is working now is as intended. The effect needs a melee weapon to proc, and unarmed does not trigger this. The effect itself generates slashing type damage.
    Sorry I was unclear before, my Kobold brain is recovering from the weekend.
    So, Ravager's Cut specifically not working with unarmed melee, while working with all armed melee, regardless of damage type or weapon used, is how it is intended to function?
    Vasska - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith

  18. #18
    Community Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    14,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIvanovFamily View Post
    sadface, no unarmed ravagers in the future if it ever comes out
    umm yea that should already be obvious. It's a barbarian pre that focuses on dealing bonus DoT from bleeding/con dmg, and requires you to select a favored melee weapon to do (that and sacrifice an innocent to your evil god...)

    Barbs are just plain bad at unarmed too, as they can't multi with monks so they can only get that crappy slow animation. So there would be no desire to make one anyways.

  19. #19
    Founder Lifespawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    behind lyriccal
    Posts
    4,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avidus View Post
    So, correct me if I am wrong here, I don't have a maul wielding barbarian handy at the moment, but is it meant to be defined as Working As Intended for a bludgeoning maul to get the 'slashing' only Ravager's Cut effect, but applying the same effect to the same type (bludgeoning) of damage from unarmed combat is somehow wrong?

    Again thanks for the reply's KT, but I think some further clarification is needed. Can anyone confirm one way or the other that the Ravager's set bonus works with bludgeoning or piercing weapons? If it in fact does only work with slashing weapons, well then, problem solved, no issue here. On the other hand, if it does indeed work with piercing / bludgeoning weapons, well then, I think everyone can see the issue with the inconsistancies we have here.

    EDIT: saw KT's edit


    so this means that it has nothing to do with bludgeoning or any other type of damage then right? It is strictly an unarmed combat issue that is intended and therefore never going to apply to those using handwraps. I don't think I like the sound of that, but there is nothing I can do except never use the set it seems...


    it's too hard to fix the coding of handwraps to make them work correctly with some effects therefor SOL is what i get out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Fernando has yet to even suggest a nerf of anything.
    Oh and by the way (referring to your sig), we aren't nerfing the Torc.

  20. #20
    Community Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    14,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIvanovFamily View Post
    So, Ravager's Cut specifically not working with unarmed melee, while working with all armed melee, regardless of damage type or weapon used, is how it is intended to function?
    lol he couldn't be any more clear, yet people still ask this.
    Hard to please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload