Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Free to Play: Max level?

So I understand at one point there was a level cap of 4 for free players, or that you then had to find sigils, but that this is no longer the case. Looking at the lists of available quests, however, I am not seeing any (or hardly any) free to play quests past 12th level, and I was wondering if that is the case, is it really possible to make it all the way to level 20 without purchasing anything. I am thinking of the diminishing returns in xp on quests as you repeat them, and wonder if there's a point at which you just can't get enough experience to keep leveling without paying for something.

is it really possible to make it all the way to level 20 without purchasing anything.
    yes

You don't have to buy anything, but you do have to spend turbine points to get some high level content. You get free turbine points whenever you get 100 favor and when reaching certain favor milestones on each server.

So getting to 20th level is possible without paying a cent, in fact I'm sure it's been done numerous times, however it will take a fair amount of grinding to get enough turbine points to pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    One day you'll want to punch a smarmy Planetar in the face. It'll be nice to have then. "Look at me! I'm so shiny!"

Community Member

You gain free DDO points as you gain favour in the game. You can bank those up and buy adventure packs without spending any real money. So while it might not be possible to get to 20 without buying a pack, you can easily get to 20 without spending any real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphine_Harmonium View Post
    So I understand at one point there was a level cap of 4 for free players, or that you then had to find sigils, but that this is no longer the case. Looking at the lists of available quests, however, I am not seeing any (or hardly any) free to play quests past 12th level, and I was wondering if that is the case, is it really possible to make it all the way to level 20 without purchasing anything. I am thinking of the diminishing returns in xp on quests as you repeat them, and wonder if there's a point at which you just can't get enough experience to keep leveling without paying for something.
    As you do quest you gain favor which gives you points to be able to buy some packs of higher levels.

You may be better, if you like the game enough, buying a pack of points to get you up to premium player and a jump start on the game.
    "Be good, if you can't be good then be good at it."

#MakeDDOGreatAgain

Community Member

Its entirely possible.

But. I can't imagine it being any fun after grinding out all the favor needed for just a couple of the more popular packs.

If you're gonna play at all 'serious like'. Drop $50 (the cost of a single player retail game) into turbine pts and you'll be set pretty well without ever spending another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ystradmynach View Post
    You don't have to buy anything, but you do have to spend turbine points to get some high level content. You get free turbine points whenever you get 100 favor and when reaching certain favor milestones on each server.

So getting to 20th level is possible without paying a cent, in fact I'm sure it's been done numerous times, however it will take a fair amount of grinding to get enough turbine points to pull it off.
    I did know that you could get turbine points without paying real money, but I'm glad to find out that you can get enough of them without paying money to successfully reach lvl 20. Thanks all!

Parenthetically, can this be done on one server with one character, or is this something you have to grind on multiple servers for?

I did know that you could get turbine points without paying real money, but I'm glad to find out that you can get enough of them without paying money to successfully reach lvl 20. Thanks all!

Parenthetically, can this be done on one server with one character, or is this something you have to grind on multiple servers for?
    I would suggest that as a F2Per you should choose one server as your main server for grinding and get as much favor possible on that one, and on every other server have one character get up to 100 for the server bonus. Favor tp rewards are set up like this:
    Per character: 25 tp for every 100 favor
    Per server: 50 tp at 5 favor, 25 tp at 25 favor, 25 tp at 50 favor
    The per server reward only matters for the first character you use to reach a reward on that server (no making multiple characters tonget the 5 favor reward). So, if you so far gave no characters on any server, then you pick one to grind extensively on to get as much player favor as possible and have one character on the other servers to get the 5, 25, 50 server rewards and the 100 player reward. Gets you 125 for each server.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

You could technically do it all on one toon, but it's advisable to take advantage of the (one-time) bonuses on each server. As follows:

Favor Threshold - TP Reward
    5 - 50
    25 - 25
    50 - 25 (probably best to stop here or to 100)
    500 - 50
    1000 - 100
    2000 - 100
    3000 - 100

After this and in addition, any toon may earn 25 TPs for every 100 favor earned. I do this by grinding to 100 favor then re-rolling a toon ad nauseum. This can be done indefinitely. There's a lot of great f2p guides out there that I haven't used personally but are very helpful regarding what to farm etc.

So yes, to echo the others, it's very possible to get to level 20 without actually ever paying for anything. If you run quests intelligently, you'd only really have to farm up the Vale of Twilight pack, which is what I did. (However, I had planned on doing this anyway and have farmed a few more packs since then.) I'm still f2p to this day and play mostly epic content with epic gear, so it's also possible to play endgame without ever going VIP as well.
    Last edited by Elof_X; 04-02-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: edit - spelling :)

Iayh
    Sarlona
    It's just a game. Have fun!

I was in the same boat, and when there was a double bonus points special I dropped $20 to get 1900 turbine points. That let me wait for sales on the few adventure packs I absolutely needed.

From an XP perspective, to get to level 20 you only need two packs: Ruins of Gianthold and Vale of Twilight.

From a favor perspective, unlocking 32pt builds with 1750 favor requires a few more. My recommendation:

1052 Free to play
    216 Ruins of Gianthold
    207 The Vale of Twilight
    129 Delera's Tomb
    117 Sorrowdusk Isle
    54 The Red Fens
    ----

Gianthold and Vale are requirements, no need to defend those. For the other three...

Delera's Tomb doesn't have a great TP/favor ratio (15th out of all 26 packs) but it's excellent, popular content, and the Voice of the Master trinket (+5% xp) really helps take the pressure off the xp issues.

Sorrowdusk Isle is one of the best TP/favor (5th out of 26) packs in the game; great value if you need favor.

Red Fens is actually poor TP/favor (22nd out of 26) but the reviews are good, it's supposed to be one of the better epic content packs around, and it's pretty cheap. Looking for just the last 25 favor, Red Fens was easily the best overall value.

Some of the best TP/favor packs in the game are Necropolis, which generally got terrible reviews. Just to put it out there, Gianthold and Vale both offer good TP/favor value, ranked 7th and 10th out of 26 respectively, so it's super easy to justify them as the two must-have packs.

I would get to 500 turbine points as quickly as you can, probably just getting the 50 free points from 5 favor per server on all the servers. Once you have that, you can wait for a 50% off Tuesday sale on the packs you need. Check here every Monday to see what that week's sale is. Sadly you just missed last Tuesday, where both Gianthold and Delera's Tomb were 50% off, but surely they'll come back around again.

It should be worth noting though, all you need to do is spend $5 american to have acess to a premium account
    Last edited by WTFFowler; 04-02-2011 at 08:44 PM.

If you're strictly F2P, there's not much to do after level 12 anyway. No F2P raids above level 10 (Tempest's Spine), very little decent gear from F2P quests, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you want a challange, grab 5 strangers, park them at the quest entrance and then solo the quest

if you want even more challange, let those 5 help you

When you purchase adventure packs, do you get them on all servers?

Yep, they are universal purchases, available to all characters and all servers for that account.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yep, they are universal purchases, available to all characters and all servers for that account.
    Yay!

I dare you to play F2P and get any character past level 5 without being overtaken by the urge to at least drop a few coins for premium. This game is just that good. Do not try it unless you have extra time in your schedule to devote to your computer...you have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ttip View Post
    I dare you to play F2P and get any character past level 5 without being overtaken by the urge to at least drop a few coins for premium. This game is just that good. Do not try it unless you have extra time in your schedule to devote to your computer...you have been warned.
    QFT. This is what happened to me

Save up $50.00, wait for the "Double Turbine Points" sale to come around (I've seen 2 of them now in less than a year) then buy enough points to get pretty much any pack you want (in addition to the ones mentioned above, I would add the Sands - huge XP in there, and some really good loot too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

All TP-based purchases are across all servers (except obvious things like items, of course). It doesn't matter if you've bought or earned the TP.

All favor-based "unlocks" are per-server only, e.g. drow; vet status; 32-point builds.

I played normally on level 14 before I did even open the DDO store.

13-15 is realistic f2p max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast