Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Are any Dragonmarks worth it?

I've been playing for a while now, but have not made any characters with Dragonmarks. Are they worth the feat investment? Some of the abilities Greater Dragonmarks impart are... neat, but are they worthy replacements for things like Spring Attack or Khopesh proficiency or what have you? No plans to make a character with one now, but curious as to how useful they are should I decide to. I'm sure some are better than others, too. Thanks

It's a preference thing really. Most people are probably gonna tell you that the greater marks are not worth it, and for the most part I'd have to agree. Giving up 3 feats for the greater marks is a lot, and a lot of classes are already feat starved as it is.

Now my ranger has the least mark of shadow (invisibility) and I use it all the time. But it takes up a slot where I could've gotten something like khopesh proficiency. It just depends on where you're going with your character.

Greater marks: Very rarely worth it
    Lesser marks: Possibly worth it, but not likely.
    Least marks: If you have an extra feat slot and don't need anything too important, maybe.
    Sarlona ~ Lrenaj Mornaur ♦ Lrel Jayden ♦ WeepingAngel

I have used the Halfling Mark of healing on a couple of characters.
    It can really help the self sufficiency of your toon, but is 3 feat intensive.
    Which can make things difficult to make some builds if you want to include the Healing Mark line.
    I like it alot.
    After a little Tolkien I am usually up for anything.

The Halfling 'marks of Healing are the only ones I'd call "worth it" beyond a few niche/flavor builds. And even then, only a few useful for those niche/flavor builds. The overwhelming majority of Dragonmarks are beyond bad for any build, however.

I think it's a shame that something so distinctively Eberron has been so drastically underwhelming.

halfing healing marks are good

think about a fighter withe a ddoor also a great benefit.

YMMV and to each their own if you like them who cares what others think.

Default Dragon Marks

I have 12 characters but only one of them has any dragonmarks. So in a larger sense, they aren't anything special.

Brockson,my intimitank, has the least Dragonmark of the Sentinel. It adds 2 points towards his intimidate skill and it gives him a Shield of Faith clicky. I took the feat mainly for the intim boost, but the clicky comes in handy when I run without an arcane caster*.

* I'm a haste addict like everyone else. Without haste, I like to swap out my +5 protection necklace for Jorganal's collar. It's a +10% melee speed boost. That's 2/3rds of a haste permanently equipped. I make up for the lost AC by using the dragonmark clicky. At my level it's two 15 minute +5 protection buffs. When they run out, I just put my necklace of protection back on and swing un-hasted until the next shrine.

Hope that helps,

-V
    Last edited by Viking707; 03-30-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Thelanis Server
    Guild Leader - Knights of the Silver Dragon
    Brockson, Lanford, Marsalle, Vars & Opel

Quote Originally Posted by Bodic View Post
    halfing healing marks are good

think about a fighter withe a ddoor also a great benefit.

YMMV and to each their own if you like them who cares what others think.
    I have both of these, but none of the other marks. And the ddoor mark is on a human monk, so he had bonus feats to spend on such things. The healing marks are only good if you can back them up with metas (empower, maximize) or devotion enhancements (one character I have that uses them uses wizard access to the metamagics, the other has ranger devotions to enhance the strength of the healing marks).

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking707 View Post
    I have 13 characters but only one of them has any dragonmarks. So in a larger sense, they aren't anything special.

My intimitank has the least Dragonmark of the Sentinel. It adds 2 points towards his intimidate skill and it gives him a +5 protection clicky. I took the feat mainly for the intim boost, but the clicky comes in handy when I run without an arcane caster*

* I'm a haste addict like everyone else. Without haste, I like to swap out my +5 protection necklace for Jorganal's collar. It's a +10% melee speed boost. That's 2/3rds of a haste permanently equipped. I make up for the lost AC by using the dragonmark clicky. At my level it's two 15 minute +5 protection buffs. When they run out, I just put my necklace of protection back on and swing un-hasted until the next shrine.

Hope that helps,

-V
    Please check on that Shield of Faith is supposed to start giving +5 deflection at lvl 18.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Default Dragonmarks

Corrected.

NOTE: Brockson is a 20th level FTR. At his level, it's a +5 protection clicky.
    Last edited by Viking707; 03-30-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    Thelanis Server
    Guild Leader - Knights of the Silver Dragon
    Brockson, Lanford, Marsalle, Vars & Opel

The only ones that are "worth it" are the halfling ones on a character wit extra feats and preferably able to take empowered healing (ranger/pally). Back when the cap was 10-14 they were more powerful (relatively) but they haven't aged well. In part this is because characters can reach higher UMD than they used to be able to so the abilities are easily replicated.

I have a ranger with the tier 2 Elven mark of Shadow (displacement and invisibility)) and put ranks into hide and move silently. I mainly use this character short man or solo but the two feats dont gimp it for parties.

My human tank has the Least Dm of the sentinel for the intim boost. Also, he has a mohawk and looks badass with the facial tattoo.
    Last edited by EKKM; 03-30-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Aerak the Bulwark-Awryn Shadowblade-Aerrik Lightbringer
    Member of D.W.A.T.

I think the elven and halfling dragonmarks are worthwhile.... I have characters with those...

Elf gets you invisibility and displacement...

Halfling gets you CLW, CSW, Heal

Both are useful on a fighter multi-class with a lot of feats.

However, one can make displacement clickables in the Shroud, and there's a necklace with 3 long-lasting invisibility uses/rest.

There are silver flame potions for healing and UMD is much easier to get high enough to use heal scrolls...

All the dragonmarks could use an update...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

I kind of like when someone else in the party has the Human/Horc "more loot" dragonmarks even though I'd never consider taking them for myself.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

I'm a big fan of the least dragonmark of passage on my mules. Helps me move them between the bank and mailbox faster.

I have a Level 20 Halfling Wizard with the Greater Mark of Healing. I get 7 Cure Light, 5 Cure Serious, and 3 Heals.
    They are all affected by my metas and have saved not just my butt more than once but also other party members.

That said I am going to TR to a WF Wiz at some point in the future.

A wizard, fighter, and probably monk are the only classes that get enough feats to be able to make use of the DMs and not totally gimp the character.

Fighters, Monks and maybe Wizards are really the only classes you can think about putting DM on, due to number of feats needed.

I do like all 3 of the halfling ones, and have a character with them.

I also like the first 2 of the elf. Displace is nice at times. And I have a Ninja Spy with it. (it stacks with the Tier I ability, making the total miss chance 62.5%) Also just started another character who will be using them (this one will even have extend, making it even better)

Other than that, I don't really think there are too many other ones that are worth it. (Perhaps a H-Elf, Wiz, now that the gust spells will be affected by force enhancements, once U9 goes live... Who knows)
    Member of Ron's Character Planner team.
    Found a missing, outdated or better graphic on the planner, let me know here.

Tactically, some dragonmarks go *very* well with certain classes. A Fighter with the ability to cast Heal has amazing soloability, for example, as does a Monk with Dimension Door (allowing him/her to gate out and heal to full and/or solo quests that would normally require 2 people). Both of those combinations are quite nice, provided you have the feats to spare for it.

On anything other than a Monk or Fighter, however, it can get quite tight. And there's a fine line between getting some feats for their fun factor, and gimping your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    On anything other than a Monk or Fighter, however, it can get quite tight. And there's a fine line between getting some feats for their fun factor, and gimping your character.
    Some would say my ranger with full healing dragon marks is gimp. He has 11 ranger levels, 2 fighter, and 2 rogue. He was able to fit in 3 full marks because of the two fighter levels and he isn't a tempest (didn't exist when I rolled this character up, neither did hearts of wood). He also dual wields bastard swords (I know, total gimp!) But he's pretty tough, versatile, and a lot of fun to play. He's been parked for years because of the previous level cap, and my uncertainty of what to do with the final 4 levels.

Short answer is: Not really worth it.

One of my fighters has the expeditious retreat and will get d-door and teleport eventually, but that is mostly just for fun. (And teleport.. do not have enough guard masks for all my non arcane characters) But others.. nope, there is allways some better feat to get.

I'm considering taking the ex. retreat and ddoor marks for my next TR fighter. Just speeds up running around at low levels and ddoor helps make some later quests much faster to solo. For a build planning to stay at level 20 I wouldn't keep them though.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

My favorite is a Ninja Spy with the Elf Displacement dragon mark... Shadow Fade + displacement = 62% miss chance (not my numbers they were crunched in an old "blink Ninja" build thread), can also have workable AC throughout the game.

Incidentally this is one of my favorite characters from 6th level on up.... agile, fast, can jump anywhere that can be reached, and pumps out the unarmed damage... Plays like a Farrari compared to most builds "pickup truck", then it gets Abundant step at lvl 12 and it starts feeling like a Bugatti.

I guess I should mention that I can craft a couple tier 2 Green steel displacement + greater fire resist clickies (no larges needed) and a 45 HP displacement clickie. which will allow me to dump the dragon marks for two feats later on and still have 6 to 8 displacements.
    Last edited by IronClan; 03-30-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast