Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leloki Self healing AA w/ good melee focus

I am tr'ing my AA. He was a 20 hafling ranger his first life. I wanted to be able to do two things with him. Make his melee better and also be more self sufficient.

To do this I needed more feats and began considering not going full ranger. The 25% capstone is really about a 10% increase in speed as it doesn't decrease the reload time only the attack animation itself. The same thing can be done for short periods with haste boost. A lev one haste boost is about a 7% increase and a lev 2 boost about a 9% increase in ranged.

Losing one favored enemy hurts as it lessens the breadth of enemies that you get the bonus for and lowers damage by 2 for those that you already have but it can be made up for in other ways.

For survivability I already have a torc and con opp item and had maximize in my previous build however the lack of quicken, no healing amp, mid 400 hp totals meant this didn't really work that well in epic/elite end game.

By going half-elf I can drop lower than 18 ranger and still get slaying arrows. I gain some healing amp and 3d6 sneak attack dmg. So I decided to go down to 15 ranger to still get 4 favoreds. 4 fighter gives me three more feats, 20 hp, haste boost II and access to weapon spec feats. 1 wiz level essentially gives me two feats as I don't have to take mental toughness and get the free metamagic. The spell point pool will be only about 50 less than my current build at 797. With the fighter feats I can take weapon spec ranged since I already have focus and use the other two for weapon focus and spec in pierce. Wizard allows me to have both quicken and maximize for some nice torc powered self healing with over 200% amp.

So here's the plan.

Leloki Half-elf chaotic good 15 ranger/4fighter/1wizard 34 point build

Starting Stats
    18 str
    14 dex
    16 con
    8 int
    10 wis
    8 cha

Feats

Rog Dilletante
    Toughness
    Power Attack
    PBS
    WF Ranged
    Imp Crit Ranged
    Imp Crit Pierce
    Maximize
    Quicken
    WS ranged
    Imp sunder
    Stunning blow

Favored evil outsider
    Favored Construct
    Favored Elemental
    Favored Undead

Enhancements

Energy of the scholar I (1)
    Arcane Archer (4)
    Conjure arrows 5 (4)
    Imbue arrows (5)
    Ranger Sprint Boost 1 (1)
    Ranger Favored Damage IV (10)
    Ranger Favored Attack II (6)
    Ranger Devotion IV (10)
    Half-Elf Healing Amp II (6)
    Dilletante Sneak attack (6)
    Human adaptability (6)
    Racial Toughness III (6)
    Ftr Toughness II (3)
    Ftr Stunning blow II (3)
    Ftr sunder I (1)
    Ftr Haste Boost II (3)
    Human Versatility II (3)
    Ranger Dex I (2)

Gear

Epic Gem of many facets w/ wiz 6/Epic Dragons Eye
    Epic mask of comedy
    Epic Gloves of the claw +6 str 30% heal amp/Titan's grip
    10% amp/20% amp/destruction outfit
    Epic Bracers of the Hunter w/ +6 con
    Epic Ravens Sight +2 exc Wis +3 will save True Seeing / Air guard 150 sp goggles
    Torc/shintao necklace
    Con Opp 45 hp Boots
    Epic Belt of mroranon w/ gfl
    Shintao ring with +2 con
    Epic cape of the roc w/ +6 dex
    Tier 3 ring of the stalker
    Upgraded quiver of alacrity 30% striding

Weapons:

Epic Thornlord w/ Good slotted
    Lit II bow
    Epic Shatterbow
    Lit II Rapier/Alchem tier 2 rapier flametouched air/air

Final Stats

str 18 +5 level+3 tome +3 exc+2 rams+7 item=38+2 yugo +2 rage+2 ship =44 +6 titan=50
    Dex 14+3 tome +6 item +2 enh+1 exc=26+2 yugo +2 ship=30
    Con 16+3 tome +1 enh +6 item +2 exc=28+2 rage+2 ship=32+2 yugo=34
    Int 8+2=10
    Wis 10+2tome+6 item+2 exc=20
    Cha=8

Sp

Ranger and wis 277
    Wizard 130
    Archmagi 200
    Shroud 150
    Energy of scholar 20
    Arcane Archer 20
    797-200 after buffing and swap to other gear

HP

120 ranger
    4 wiz
    40 ftr
    20 heroic
    10 draconic
    30 gfl
    45 shroud
    22 toughness
    50 enhancements
    180 con

20 rage
    20 ship
    40 yugo

Amp

1.2 half elf
    1.3 gloves
    1.2 dt
    1.1 dt

206%

1.1 ship

227%

Heals

24-39 serious

40% devotion
    75% ardor

51-83

100% maximize

102-166

206% amp

210-342 mean 276

227%

231-377 mean 304

Spells

1st
    Resist energy
    Rams Might
    Longstrider/jump

2nd
    Barkskin
    protection/camo (for stealthing)

3rd
    Cure Moderate
    Neutralize Poison

4th
    Freedom of Movement
    Cure Serious

Skills

Hide
    MS
    Spot
    Balance
    Jump

The gearset isn't the most ideal but it's stuff I already have for him as I prioritize other characters higher on the newer gear I acquire. Hp and spell points on boots is a pain but workable.

Khopesh would be an option here dropping the weapon spec pierce and focus and add khopesh + Otwf for more dps plus hit points. I had originally planned to go rapiers + heavy picks but picks kinda falling out of favor with the changes. That said I have stuff built already and I like the smallblade second hand option it's more dps than 2 lit II's and better to hit by 1. The weapon spec leads to the dps difference being pretty minimal anyways and I have two ancient vulkorim daggers for giant killing fun.

Throw on titan's grip clickie/haste boost/human versatility dmg boost and this is going to be putting out some big many shot numbers and then follow that up with pretty capable melee. Falls a bit short of helves angel dps of course but I like the added self healing option and additional ranger spells to help survivability more.

Im currently at lev 15 on the tr and so far I really like the build. Melee is capable even without the sneak attack as I have been soloing a lot. As far as the level progression I went straight to 11 ranger first to get evasion feats and spell capability. I then went 2 fighter 1 wizard and 1 more ranger. I will do some combination of 2 ftr 1 ranger next as I have to have lev 4 ftr by 18 to get the double weapon spec feats and then finish off with 2 ranger.

Update:

Made a slight change to this build recently and added in stunning blow and imp sunder.

Dc for sb runs right at 40 which isnt great but if you chain it right after a imp sunder it lands quite frequently due to the -6 fort save.

It gives this build a method of helplessness generation that it lacked before.

For pure fun try a tier two earth alchem and a frozen tunic and most everything you fight will be helpless.

Alchem bow possibilities are a nice additon as well as the earth element bow and air element rapier from the challenges for this build.
    Last edited by LeLoric; 01-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

Looks like fun.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

I'd love to hear how this played as you level; I've been umming and ahhing what to do with my HA pali build as they're great fun to level but pretty subpar at cap. So I'd been thinking about a second life project involving ranger with less HA but more versatility, and still making use of the conc opp and torc... this looks like it might fit the bill. Definitely interested to hear more about your experience before I pull the trigger.

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

With less than 20 Ranger levels, you'd do more DPS with the AA set over the Shintao set.

Quote Originally Posted by AylinIsAwesome View Post
    With less than 20 Ranger levels, you'd do more DPS with the AA set over the Shintao set.
    Agreed, the 10% ranged speed bonus of the AA set DOES work as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    Agreed, the 10% ranged speed bonus of the AA set DOES work as advertised.
    Last time I checked I was only getting about 1/2 from it.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Yeah the listed set is stuff i actually have now. I don't have an AA ring. Attack speed bonus for ranged are really kinda meh though due to it not increasing the reload animation.

While it would be a slight increase I have a lot of clicks to go through before activating a manyshot already I have to haste pot (if I dont have one) then titans grip then haste boost damage boost and manyshot itself. Having to swap a necklace and ring here may just be too much for me.

If I were to ever consider much ranged fighting outside of manyshot id consider this more of a priority though.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    Last time I checked I was only getting about 1/2 from it.
    I get 80 arrows a manyshot out with my 18/1/1 tempests. With the AA set on I get 88. Looks like 10% to me.

I get 80 arrows a manyshot out with my 18/1/1 tempests. With the AA set on I get 88. Looks like 10% to me.
    You would be the only person to report a full 10% boost.

Since the difference between 5% and 10% in this case is just one volley the speed increase to add two additional volleys could be anywhere from 5% to 14.9% depending on your actual starting attack speed. It seems more likely that you are almost getting 21 volleys without the speed boost and the 5% is pushing you into 22 volleys. The only way to accurately test if you are getting 10% is to fire more arrows.
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    You would be the only person to report a full 10% boost.

Since the difference between 5% and 10% in this case is just one volley the speed increase to add two additional volleys could be anywhere from 5% to 14.9% depending on your actual starting attack speed. It seems more likely that you are almost getting 21 volleys without the speed boost and the 5% is pushing you into 22 volleys. The only way to accurately test if you are getting 10% is to fire more arrows.
    Hasn't been that important to me, I only equip it when I'm gonna manyshot and have plenty of time to swap items.

Capped out this build tonight. Was very fun to level. Maximized quickened cure wounds with torc and con opp to regen was pretty strong rarely did i need outside healing.

Melee dps was adequate although sometimes a little underwhelming. Manyshot dps was killer of course. Was kinda a pain not having fom or cure serious til capping however.

Was gonna craft some earthgrab picks before I saw update 9 info so holding off there.

At 18 ran hard shroud and vod and elite hound and it performed well there.

Will report back in the next few days on how it does in epic content.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

What is the rational for going ranger at all? Why 15 ranger and not 12? Why 1 wizard? You could go 12 ranger 6 fighter 2 monk and gain something or 12 ranger 8 fighter or etc. etc.? If it is spell points you need just use feats and gear to overcome spell point defiencies... How you arrived at 15 ranger 4 fighter 1 wizard when there are so many other better options likely available well lets hear the story?
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    What is the rational for going ranger at all? Why 15 ranger and not 12? Why 1 wizard? You could go 12 ranger 6 fighter 2 monk and gain something or 12 ranger 8 fighter or etc. etc.? If it is spell points you need just use feats and gear to overcome spell point defiencies... How you arrived at 15 ranger 4 fighter 1 wizard when there are so many other better options likely available well lets hear the story?
    I thought the class-split was explained thoroughly in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    . . . I decided to go down to 15 ranger to still get 4 favoreds. 4 fighter gives me three more feats, 20 hp, haste boost II and access to weapon spec feats. 1 wiz level essentially gives me two feats as I don't have to take mental toughness and get the free metamagic. The spell point pool will be only about 50 less than my current build at 797. With the fighter feats I can take weapon spec ranged since I already have focus and use the other two for weapon focus and spec in pierce. Wizard allows me to have both quicken and maximize for some nice torc powered self healing with over 200% amp. . .
    Short-version: Self-healing.

I thought the class-split was explained thoroughly in the OP.

Short-version: Self-healing.
    Other classes get better self healing, can remain AA, similiar dps, etc. Really just do not get it sorry. OP is a rational sort so why this build and not another. Yes rangers do suck right now.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Other classes get better self healing, can remain AA, similiar dps, etc. Really just do not get it sorry. OP is a rational sort so why this build and not another. Yes rangers do suck right now.
    What split would you pick that would retain this level of blue-bar healing?

15 ranger gives me access to the extra favored enemy all 4 levels of ranger spells so cure serious and fom and an extra lev 1 spell.

4 fighter gives me haste boost 2 and 3 feats and access to weapon specialization feats.

1 wizard gives me essentially two feats because it makes me not have to take mental toughness and gives the free wiz 1 feat.

This is the best setup I could get other than going a fs/cleric route for self healing and still maintaining the dps I have. Having a 300 point heal is pretty strong and even better after U9 as it will cost quite a bit less allowing more of them.

12 ranger 6 ftr 2 monk is much worse at healing as well as lower dps. Same with 12 ranger 8 ftr. A heavy kensai type build does out dps it but only by a little and loses all self healing.

To say rangers suck is kinda misleading matt. They aren't at the top of the heap like they were before EU but still hold their own while providing benefits of self healing and buffs. The dps here is only slightly behind something like a helves angel build but has much more survivability. I think you are really shortchanging the dps here.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    15 ranger gives me access to the extra favored enemy all 4 levels of ranger spells so cure serious and fom and an extra lev 1 spell.

4 fighter gives me haste boost 2 and 3 feats and access to weapon specialization feats.

1 wizard gives me essentially two feats because it makes me not have to take mental toughness and gives the free wiz 1 feat.

This is the best setup I could get other than going a fs/cleric route for self healing and still maintaining the dps I have. Having a 300 point heal is pretty strong and even better after U9 as it will cost quite a bit less allowing more of them.

12 ranger 6 ftr 2 monk is much worse at healing as well as lower dps. Same with 12 ranger 8 ftr. A heavy kensai type build does out dps it but only by a little and loses all self healing.

To say rangers suck is kinda misleading matt. They aren't at the top of the heap like they were before EU but still hold their own while providing benefits of self healing and buffs. The dps here is only slightly behind something like a helves angel build but has much more survivability. I think you are really shortchanging the dps here.
    Excellent breakdown...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Since this thread got bumped I thought I would mention that I currently have an 11 ranger 7 monk soon to be 11 ranger 9 monk AA Helf unarmed that I think probably does more damage then this build and heals at between 250-300 with a maximized cure moderate wounds. That would have been an option vs. this build. Some sort of unarmed monk/ranger type of build.

Since this thread got bumped I thought I would mention that I currently have an 11 ranger 7 monk soon to be 11 ranger 9 monk AA Helf unarmed that I think probably does more damage then this build and heals at between 250-300 with a maximized cure moderate wounds. That would have been an option vs. this build. Some sort of unarmed monk/ranger type of build.
    Which opens up the possibility of using Jidz-Tetka (with zen archery) for 25% healing amp in fire stance. Not the best dps use of the slot, but for soloing etc... 25% healing amp sure is nice.
    Server: Ghallanda
    Characters: Wigs (FvS) / Wigz (Acrobat/Ninja)
    Guild: Ravensguard

There is no way you are matching dps. You lack haste boost,weapon spec pierce and ranged,one less favored enemy,
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast