Question Air Savant and Mark of Storm

I was thinking about rolling a up a H-Elf Air Savant/Nuker

I cannot imagine the feat selection looking too different then this, however I could swap out something for that last feat.

Least Dragonmark of Storm
    Lesser Dragonmark of Storm
    Greater Dragonmark of Storm
    Maximize
    Empower
    Heighten
    Toughness/Quicken

I found a few posts on Call Lightning Storm, and I thought I would try it out. My only issues is 3 feats sure seems like alot for 5 AE casts. Particularly when Sorcs only get 7 feats in the first place.

I was thinking of using the Monk Dilettante for healing amp, as this guy will have to rely on scroll healing.

On a 32 point build it will have to look something like this for starting stats as that would require 13 wisdom

STR 8
    DEX 8
    CON 16
    INT 9
    WIS 13
    CHA 18

I would pretty much eat a +1 Int tome off the bat and only get UMD and Concentration.

Any thoughts?

U need to fit evocation or conjuration in there somewhere
    Originally Posted by Eladrin
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.
    Argo: Cydia - Ariasa

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBuddha View Post
    U need to fit evocation or conjuration in there somewhere
    Actually:

Sorcerer Air Savant II

Usage: Passive
    Cost: 2 action points
    Requires One of: Spell Focus: Conjuration, Spell Focus: Evocation, Lesser Dragonmark of Storm.

Lesser Dragonmark of Storm fits the requirement

I'd honestly probably go with the paladin dilly instead for the charisma bonus to saves. You can already get 20% heal amp from human improved recovery on a helf. Do you really need more than that on a sorc? Then you could put some points in int for extra skill points or strength for not getting encumbered by ray of enfeeblement, or just max con instead of getting wisdom to 13.

I've been thinking of trying out a helf air savant with the dragonmarks too because it seems like fun, though I'm not really sure that using three feats on a feat starved class is really worth it. I'm waiting until we have more finalized information on Update 9 stuff and I can play around with a build in the character generator

I had thought about the Pally Dilly as well, and it would ease the burden of the point allocation. However the reason I thought about monk is it can combine with the human healing amp to get a pretty decent number. This will make self healing easier at all levels. Personally I am used to just throwing reconstructs around on a WF and have never tried the scroll healing route for a fleshie. The healing amp may be overkill but it would be nice to get something close to a full heal from scroll usage.

I'm building up a Half Elf Monk2/Sorc18 right now; will use Paladin dilettante, just to try it out. Flavor mind you, not hyper-function (though w/ the spell DPS changes that should be fine as a blaster).

Only thing I'm working on still is the attribute spread. I'm kinda sitting on this right now:

CHA 18 + 5 levels + 1 half elf + 3 sorc + item / exceptional / tome / etc.
    CON 14 + 1 half elf
    STR 12
    INT 12

With a basic feat plan of:

Stormlord
    Monk (2): Toughness, Lightning Reflexes
    Normal (7): Extend, Empower, Maximize, Heighten, Least, Lesser, Greater Marks
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I'm building up a Half Elf Monk2/Sorc18 right now; will use Paladin dilettante, just to try it out. Flavor mind you, not hyper-function (though w/ the spell DPS changes that should be fine as a blaster).

Only thing I'm working on still is the attribute spread. I'm kinda sitting on this right now:

CHA 18 + 5 levels + 1 half elf + 3 sorc + item / exceptional / tome / etc.
    CON 14 + 1 half elf
    STR 12
    INT 12

With a basic feat plan of:

Stormlord
    Monk (2): Toughness, Lightning Reflexes
    Normal (7): Extend, Empower, Maximize, Heighten, Least, Lesser, Greater Marks
    I was thinking of doing something like this because I'm addicted to evasion, but I'm just not sure the monk levels are worth it. It does seem fun though!

I see evasion as thematic on the build. Motion and all that.

Theme-wise, I'm sticking w/ the Dragonmarks. Reality, spell penetration and SF/GSF evocation may be the best choice ... but the greater mark is the only way to get the Call Lightning Storm (right now).

Community Member

Default Me also

Though I was thinking of going 1 wiz, 1 monk, 18 sorc, then LR those first 2 away, to easy the leveling process with a free meta and free toughness early.

Community Member

I say go for it. "Wasting" 3 feats and ton of AP to get 5 uses of call lightning storm may seem excessive but at least I have learned to love it enough that I cant take the feats of it. I have them on my wizzy with more feats to spend mind you but still. Seeing it crit for 900-1000 and getting a bolt every few seconds while you are casting other spells is just pure win for me.

Very rarely use the other DMs as they are not all that useful later on.

I know I am writing in a rather old thread but can anyone confirm that air savant doesnt break call lightning storm, there are various threads about it reducing damage instead of increasing it, any verification?

Default Still not fixed

Bad news guys, its still not fixed, post U11.

I just submitted a bug report on that.
    Sometimes I just wonder if they (devvys) actually read it =__=

Community Member

Too bad. It seems my Sorc will stay parked at lvl12 until this is somehow fixed which I imagine will be quite some time.

Community Member

Post u12 and the Greater mark of Storm/Air Savant thing is still bugged.

But despite that my own monk2/sorc12(+eventually) is still handy dandy. The marks of storm (besides the greater) are good, 8 free electric loops with the Chimeric crown are nothing to sneeze at. Combine that with the regular electric loop and the Savant inherent loop and you can spam it all day for very little cost. The only meta magic feat I have is Quicken for the particularly slow and evil spells (chain lightning, etc.) Solid Fog (a must for any serious lighting tosser who doesn't want their bolts evaded all the time) and the marks of storm. Maybe not doing the damage of some spellcasters but I'm good on SP economy and can lay down lots of AoE spells in a hurry making up for the individual cast weakness. With my two monk lvls I took toughness and Lightning Reflexes. With that and Pally dilly my saves are absurdly high. We're talking stand-in-a-trap-and-do-a-jig high. It's a fun build and I'm looking forward to the Greater mark of Storm being fixed.

Good to know hope they fix it in U13, planning on TR-ing my sorc to Helf 18/2 sorc/monk.

Doing it for the evasion and saves, my sorc is always getting held or something in Epics.

2015 DDO Players Council InsanityIsYourFriend's Avatar

been lvling a helf sorc on lama U13 to check if its fixed yet, will let ya all know in less than a rank ~if not then i will have a HUGE bug report ~screen shots straight to where the devs look for bugs pre-release~ when i made my first sorc and lvled it to 9 ~without vet status or xp pots ect~ and took that feat i was SYCHED then.... in a fury of rage deleted the toon >< this had better get fixed.... asap
    I am Falontani, Zeblazing, Zeholysoul, Zeshadowfist, Zesoulhuntah, Zedrunk, Singingblade, and many alts
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    Thanks for the report and Whoa.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    This is talked about a ton, and nothing is concrete at this point. Enter bugs with examples. Tons and tons of bugs. Make Gazebo cry.

You can get Call Lightning Storm 3/clickie on a Helmet/Crown. I believe it drops in Cannith quests... I forget the name but I'm sure its in the wiki.

sorry to say this, but i find dragon mark a waste of feat...call lightning storm doesn't do much damage.. the rise in cl only increase it's' duration...
    dance in the wind, die in the wind.

It is known to be bugged, FWIW. Taking it on a savant actually decreases its effectiveness.