Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

Default Half Elves any good now?

I've been away from the game for a while, but I was wondering if Halfelves were decent?
    I have a human khopesh rogue and was wondering if TR'ing her into halfelf rogue was a feasible idea or not.
    I understand that anything could be made to work, but if halfelf doesn't grant anything worthwhile to the build while taking away a feat, well, meh.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

From Wisconsin, Live in Iowa, Vist Wisconsin

IMO they are worth considering…

They get up to a 20% racial healing amp and the Dilettante feats are very nice.

You could take fighter and get and gain Proficiency with all martial melee weapons or Paladin for up a +5 to all saves…

http://ddowiki.com/page/Dilettante_feats

Good luck!

Calling Sarlona my home - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddo.borguild.com
    Alts - Propane, Kerosene, Hexane, JA, Waulter, Acetylene, CNG, LPG, Woodpile, Hexyne, Dilithium Crystal, Geothermal, TidalPower, Windpower, Natural Gas, Antimematter, and Coaldust (and a few others)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Symar-FangofLloth View Post
    I've been away from the game for a while, but I was wondering if Halfelves were decent?
    I have a human khopesh rogue and was wondering if TR'ing her into halfelf rogue was a feasible idea or not.
    I understand that anything could be made to work, but if halfelf doesn't grant anything worthwhile to the build while taking away a feat, well, meh.
    YES, the halfelf is great for certain well planned builds.
    My last four characters are TR's that were reborn to halfelf...
    My Halfling Ranger TRing into a Halfelf FVS was one of the GREATEST DAYS OF MY LIFE!!!!
    "Khyber Server" The Crown Jewel of DDO Main Alts. Darkelvis, Thickelvis, Almostelvis, Holyelvis, Lil-elvis

They can make for some very interesting builds now that their Dilettante feats have been expanded on.

In my opinion, the only lingering problem with Half-Elves is having to look at em... but that's what /showhelmet on is for, I guess.

Community Member

half elves have been a solid race since they were introduced.

In fact, unless you are building to target a specific enhancement for a race (WF PA or Dwarve Axe dmg for examples), I would rank them above all other races for a general build.

I've been pretty happy with my Half-Elf Pure Cleric w/ Fighter Dilettante. He's working out pretty much exactly as I hoped he would - good healing and good DCs (so far) on his Cleric spells, and the ability to contribute to melee with pretty much any two-hander he finds without having to actually splash a level of Fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

What would you recommend for a Rogue, then?
    Fighter, for some more Dex to armor and maybe some DCs?
    Paladin for more saves (and lowbie wand usage)?
    Monk for some more healing amp to help with selfheals? Will I be stuck with a stupid "noncentered" icon though?

I'll be grabbing EWP: Khopesh so the martial weapon usage isn't a big deal once I get back to greensteel levels.

Is the Mark of Storms any good? I probably can't fit it in anyway.
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    In my opinion, the only lingering problem with Half-Elves is having to look at em... but that's what /showhelmet on is for, I guess.
    While I agree for the most part, I feel like there are a few options that actually look pretty decent. I somehow managed to make my female half elf look pretty cute. There is only like one acceptable nose option and two or three eye options though. Not much variety if you want a semi decent looking helf.

Edit: Proof?

I think she's reasonably good-looking anyway!
    Last edited by Impatiens; 03-18-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    They can make for some very interesting builds now that their Dilettante feats have been expanded on.

^^this...

The Dilly feats are actually pretty well rounded and can be really beneficial. But try and make one look good, and you're in for a long night on the character appearance screen!
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Impatiens View Post
    While I agree for the most part, I feel like there are a few options that actually look pretty decent. I somehow managed to make my female half elf look pretty cute. There is only like one acceptable nose option and two or three eye options though. Not much variety if you want a semi decent looking helf.

Edit: Proof?

I think she's reasonably good-looking anyway!

I think that particular hairstyle helps a lot, too, helps the face look a lot more balanced (It's what I went with too). It's just a shame there are so few attractive options. At least the dance moves are better than humans
    Terebinthia, Terebynthia, Tereana, Tereaina, Tereanna, Terebyte, Terechan, Terebinthis
    The Hand of the Black Tower, Khyber.
    Cupcakes welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Terebinthia View Post
    I think that particular hairstyle helps a lot, too, helps the face look a lot more balanced (It's what I went with too). It's just a shame there are so few attractive options. At least the dance moves are better than humans
    Yes, I love the /dance for the half elf! When I first made one to just test out how they looked in game and I did /dance I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely one of the best dances in the game, in my opinion, but I might be slightly biased since I took ballet lessons for nearly 14 years I agree, it's a shame there are so few attractive options, but at least there are some nice looking options out there.
    Last edited by Impatiens; 03-19-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Impatiens View Post
    Yes, I love the /dance for the half elf! When I first made one to just test out how they looked in game and I did /dance I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely one of the best dances in the game, in my opinion, but I might be slightly biased since I took ballet lessons for nearly 14 years I agree, it's a shame there are so few attractive options, but at least there are some nice looking options out there.
    Try /dance2 and it's a cheerleader routine. LOL

LOVE the half-elf cleric dilly. Mine is a pure light monk and with half-elf I've got HUGE healing amp and with the cleric dilly you can use all cleric wands (more healing!) and if you take the upgrades you can use most cleric scrolls. Nice to pop off a flame strike at just the right time or more important near no fail raise dead, heal and restoration scrolls. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Symar-FangofLloth View Post
    What would you recommend for a Rogue, then?
    Fighter, for some more Dex to armor and maybe some DCs?
    Paladin for more saves (and lowbie wand usage)?
    Monk for some more healing amp to help with selfheals? Will I be stuck with a stupid "noncentered" icon though?

I'll be grabbing EWP: Khopesh so the martial weapon usage isn't a big deal once I get back to greensteel levels.

Is the Mark of Storms any good? I probably can't fit it in anyway.
    I TRed my halfling rogue into a helf and I'm pleased with the results. She's only 13 ATM since I am not one of those leveling speed deamons.

I took the wiz dil to get reliable mud at early levels. Stoneskin on demand at level 7 rocks (no pun intended). I am going to switch now that her UMD is high enough but I haven't decided what to yet. I might go fighter, but I'm still thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
    Try /dance2 and it's a cheerleader routine. LOL
    Yeah...I don't use that one as much.

If you're ViP and you don't have to pay for Half Elves, then it's worth rolling one up just to see the /taunt animation.