Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i made this one for a Paladin that was pivitol to the campaign i was running. the paladin was level 25 (may even have been 30) and was 9 feet tall with 52 Strength. this allowed him to weild a Greatsword in one hand and a Kiteshield in the other.

Indoril - +10 Greatsword (4d6+10 Slashing, 18-20 x4)

Good Burst
    Lawful Burst
    Light Burst
    Godly Strike (1d100 chance to deal 100d6 light damage)
    Acts as Vampiric V. Demons and Devils
    Banishing

needless to say, this Plaldin was not a PC, but he DID fight with the PArty through most of the campaign.
    in fact, at the end it turned out that he was the Avatar of Ao (the final boss of the campaign was the Varuect, the Embodiment of Chaos.)
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Default Giant Adamantine Door

Some friends of mine were in a low-level campaign, and there was a fifty-foot tall adamantine door in a building where they were questing. They were somehow able to swipe the door and sell it for its scrap adamantine value, which was an utterly insane amount of money at their level. Then they were able to buy pretty much anything they wanted in order to overgear their characters.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

a while back i played a home-brew campaign that had three items as quest rewards, that the DM invented because he thought they were cool.

A helm called "Aoi's Understanding" which gave you +15 to wisdom and Charisma and made you immune to all effects that required a Reflex save check.

A Belt called "Aoi's Fortune" which gave you +15 to Dexterity and Intelligence and made you immune to all effects that required a Fortitude save check.

Gloves called "Aoi's Might" which gave you +15 to Strength and Constitution and made you immune to all effects that required a Will save check.

this campaign was lvl 22 and brutally unforgiving. i think it had a Rukshasa high-lord in it that you have to Bluff, Intimidate or Diplo your way around, cause if you fought his ass, he'd stomp yours into the ground.

... i miss that campaign.
    Last edited by PinkDragonJr; 06-08-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    JOIN THE 101ST GIANTHOLD AIRBORNE : WHERE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR IS NOT ALWAYS BY CHOICE.

Kobald want to run...but..cookies!...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrix View Post
    The Battle Standard of the Iron Legion.

A standard is used to inspire the legion, think of roman standards, or the standards borne in the napoleonic wars, stuff like that. Now ask yourself what inspires....

The item had all the songs and spell of a bard of the level of the item. It required a players actions to use those abilities (had to be within close range to use).

The Item could level up by being decorated with victory trophies from battles etc. When it levelled up the players got to choose the spells learnt.
    This is a really cool item, if balanced properly. My campaign lost its Bard (the guy had to move), and I'm about to lose one more. This would be a good way to add to the party without someone having to double up on characters, or have me control an NPC.

In one of the overpowered campaigns I was in one of the party members was a Minotaur, and somehow he got this +5 weapon that could change shape to any weapon. Oh, it also deflected magic spells, was intelligent, and all sorts of odd stuff. I never quite understood that.

Community Member

Three Netherians air ships, a city plenty of loyal warforgeds, a forge for build more of them, +5 tomes and a couple epic artifacts...best campaign EVER!!!
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Does my character count as an item. I played RIFTS with a cyborg. He was a terror. Hard to damage, painfully accurate, and lots of ammo.

I loved that character!

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default Boots of Freedom

Boots of Freedom
    +8 Dex
    Immune to Slippery Surfaces and Knockdown
    Permanent Featherfall and Haste
    Freedom of Movement
    Climb ANY Surface
    10% chance of teleporting wearer when health drops below 50%. (Was meant to be a curse, but was explained as the boots wanting to protect the wearer)
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Community Member krackythehoodedone's Avatar

Yes.

Polymorph any Object as the most powerful spell ever. I can remember using it to change a Giant Porcupine into a fairy cake.And casting a Dispel Magic at the unfortunate monster that ate it.

I can remember some idiotic DM giving out an item that duplicated the ability of A God in that anything you have ever been attacked with previously you are automatically immune to.

That Parylzing Pistol from some module that was technological so no magical way of getting round it that Parylzed you for 1-6 hrs if you failed. And Parylzed you for 1-6 rnds if you passed your save. Ie ur dead anyway
    Last edited by krackythehoodedone; 08-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spell...lGazeOfGod.htm

because sometimes, you just really need to kill someone.

BAM 305d6 of damage

That's interesting because...

The caster is likewise dealt 200d6 points of damage

...you kill it but you're probably toast as well. Would really make for an interesting and difficult decision?
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Community Member

The Cube: Bring out your dead! Bring out your dead!
    DDO Forum Trolls: Here's one.
    The Cube: Ninepence.
    This Thread: I'm not dead!
    Best Quote Ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heronous View Post
    The clam can not be ransacked.
    Proud Member and occasional Officer of Identity Unknown (Argonnessen)

Ah it was back in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons days... before it even had a number. We had a long standing party, three characters in particular were the longest surviving...a Monk, a Magic User, and a Fighter, and they were all crazy powerful. At that point we were building castles, forming armies, leading large scale battles, etc.

Long story but in an attempt to kill us off without cheating the DM placed us in combat against a lesser god (or maybe he was a demi god?). We should have died but we sneaked our way to victory and we managed to take off his body a blade that at will could become any weapon of the user's choice. So you want a +5 vorpal? Done. Need a ghost touch for this encounter? Done. Anything you could find in the rule book, that blade could be. (Something the DM used on us during combat, taking most of us out before we won, thus making it hard to go back on)

After that it was barely fair, anything that got near our fighter was dead.

In the end by joint agreement we retired the fighter, the monk, and the magic user by having them be made demi-gods (also a recommended out in 1st edition).

Quote Originally Posted by Osharan_Tregarth View Post
    Umm.. Let's see. This was a pretty much monty haul campaign, back in the late 80's.

My dwarf fighter had been somehow reduced to being 18" tall, but with full stats. He was equipped with (among other things) a girdle of giants str, and ogre power gloves which gave it some kind of set bonus that I don't remember anymore.

Anyway, the DM ruled that it ended up being the equivalent of a high powered bullet, so on any crit it exploded someone's head with no save. Basically a ranged on crit vorpal throwing hammer.
    If this was in late 80's, you were playing 1st edition D&D. And in that edition, the following combination:

gauntlets of ogre power
    girdle of (any) giant strength
    hammer of thunderbolts

was THE most absurdly overpowered thing. Every DM I knew either made certain at least one of the three did not exist in his campaign, or simply ignored the rules for it.

But to answer OP's question... I once participated in first level party, where one of the characters had Ring of Kings. As in, "Elric of Melnibone". Not as game-breaking as it sounds, because while Ring of Kings can summon pretty much anythig, your chances of controlling what it summons depend on your level. At level 1 it is slim. But still...!
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

LOL... Yea we had a DM back in the old AD&D days that gave me a Vorpal that didn't just vorpal on a 20, it did so on every hit. Can't remember if it had a save or not. I think it would even vorpal Beholders.
    http://www.dkforums.com - Look Mom it's a Guild forum, can I have one too?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKiller View Post
    LOL... Yea we had a DM back in the old AD&D days that gave me a Vorpal that didn't just vorpal on a 20, it did so on every hit. Can't remember if it had a save or not. I think it would even vorpal Beholders.
    Reverse of that:

My paladin duelled a rather more powerful evil warrior. Both of us used Swords of Sharpness: severs limb OR head on a crit -- head if you roll 9 or 10 on d10. I lost an arm and was close to death. Then I roll a crit and exclaim "Now he loses his arm!" The DM rolled a d10 which I saw came up 9, then said "Actually, YOU should roll it". I roll a 10. Shouts "Victory!". DM assumes the evil warror's voice: "Fool! My collar protects me against vorping!"

The DM let me roll because he knew "head" result on my Sword of Sharpenss would be most disappointing, and wanted to give me a chance for limb-severing. I blew it.

Turned out, "vorpal-proof collar" was a rare but not-unique item in that campaign.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

A self aware animated spoon with 20 levels of psion in 3.5 dnd was my parties primary adversary... eventually someone took improved sunder and took it out... eventually. It mind controlled people, forcing them to use it, and took the party about 14 levels to figure out it was the spoons in control of everything. Also I had a fork the followed the party around. It was harmless but the paranoia it caused caused more deaths in the party than the spoon ever did. Unfortunately the players got real life aggro and left the game for military service in japan and iraq before I could introduce then to a dinner knife.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 05-09-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

Default Rod of prismatic spray...

I made a rod that turned prismatic spray into a 'laser'...

Every thing was ac 10 and subject to all the effects...

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Prismatic_Spray

I used to let players roll up loot on random encounters using the tables in the AD&D DM guide. I still created the loot for the actual encounters in the module as we were playing DM designed stuff.

One player rolled up an artifact that had death ray 1/day on it, among other powerful things. The party was all lower level. This might not be too powerful for a higher level party, but being lower level, they certainly tried to use it during times where they knew they were fighting the toughest mob in the dungeon.

What they didnt know is that artifacts had side effects as well, and I rolled up a few of those, and soon enough, the players wanted to be rid of the darn thing, and were begging NPC priests to destroy this evil item with all due haste.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Default Cantrips

In one campaign, I allowed a rogue to find and keep a seemingly innocuous ring that allowed him to do unlimited, irresistible cantrips at will. He was a smart player and this made him unstoppable. It was awesome but ultimately game-breaking.

Community Member EdgarLockheart's Avatar

Talking splat

Quote Originally Posted by Tobril View Post
    While I wasn’t the one who gave out the item, the most powerful thing
    in any of our PnP campaigns was also the only item ever banned.

Staff of Storing

Upon speaking the command word (store) and touching an object, that object
    is then stored inside the staff.

Any object stored in the staff can be retrieved later by concentrating on the
    desired object and willing it to reappear.

The staff has an unlimited carrying capacity.
    I suppose you could store a huge boulder or a building or something else massive and just will it out on top of your enemies.
    or just store an army of golems

Community Member

Easy as hell to answer, 2nd Ed game, my Drow Ftr/Wiz aquired the artifact known as the Ring Of Kings. Short summary it was a ring of Infinite spell storing. Being Immortal, a time traveler, and owning my own pocket planes meant I pretty much could say brb, return a thousand years later from his perspective after having spent that whole time day after day dumping spells into the ring.

Actually we had at one point converted to the spells and magic optional spell point system then turned all that into pure SP in the ring, so yeah just imagine the same thing u see here in DDO when you encounter guys who have stacks upon stacks of mana pots and drink them without blinking.

P.S. had the designers met me I could of told them just how bad the idea of giving D&D based magic users a Diablo like mana bar and pots was more game breaking then anything else possible. Magic is the stuff of the gods in D&D and unlimited magic means you are matching a god when you are one at max lvl. Steel no matter how strong breaks. A wizard to attain such power must have a will that is stronger then adamantine.
    Last edited by Vanquishedfo; 10-07-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast