Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Not exactly an item but I do remember several campaigns that on our second straight day with no sleep the DM was struggling to stay awake. He started rolling the nerf dice (so they didnt make too much noise) and any creature we came upon. He would roll the damage and he would state very slowly "Ahhhh you kill em". This was not really noticed because we were tired too until we came upon a horde of 100 giant rats(the dice were not friendly to us on that random roll) and on the first attack the wizard cast fireball and without figuring the damage the DM said "Ahhhhh ya kill em" and then fell asleep in his chair.

Good times- drinking jolt, eating steakums and fried baloney, and sitting in uncomfortable chairs in my friends kitchen.
    Enjoy yourself your time on earth is very short.

All Kyber toons - Xirthax (Paladin) : Xirth (Wizard) : Xirthtrix (Fighter) : Xorthtrox(Monk)

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

My favourite item was the mighty immovable rod.. had a few items based around it but possibly the best was the nunchucks of versatility... only a +1 weapon, but each end of the chucks was actually an immovable rod (could be activated independently), and could extend an adamantine chain up to 30ft between the 2 - less a weapon and more a tool of uberness. Was particularly useful for sneaky robberies of large enemies.. rogue would just sneak up & lay it over the neck as a precaution in case they woke up. Also good for stretching across a path for the old classic "sweep them off the horse" approach, or even just as a very secure lock on doors at an inn. Great for climbing too, and a number of other uses.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Back in the dark ages, (the late 80's), our long term campaign group somehow transformed from a normal 2.5 campaign into a Monty Hall campaign. My lvl 14 Assassin picked up a dagger with properties remarkably similar to Elric's Stormbringer Sword (see Michael Moorcock series of books). It was intelligent, could suck souls and give me their strength and health. It would allow me to cast incredibly powerful spells. It basically ruined the campaign as my assassin became nearly indestructible.

I think he was reading the series at the time and thought in was cool. And it was... For me.

The rest of the group hated it quickly and the campaign broke down shortly thereafter.

Just like in DDO, balance and challenge are very important for long term viability.
    Captain's Crew - Ghallanda

Community Member

We always played a very VERY low power campaign. The most powerful item I remember us having was a +3 Longsword of Reptile Bane that functioned as a Vampiric weapon against reptiles. It was, far and away, the most powerful item that any of our characters had. At the end of that campaign the weapon was reclaimed by it's rightful owner, leaving the most powerful item in the group a +3 dagger, followed by at +2 something. And this was for lvl 9-11 characters.

In our campaigns you were thrilled to find ANYTHING magical, which was the way our group preferred it.
    “He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination.” - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
    "I married your mother because I wanted children, imagine my disappointment when you came along." - Groucho Marx

Community Member

The powerful item I handed out so far was.....Murlynds Spoon.

The 3.0 Horn of Blasting. This item + Haste pretty much meant you could completely nullify a boss for most, if not all, of the fight. Command word activation, and on a successful save they're stunned for 1 round. Using it more than once per day gave a cumulative 10% chance of it exploding. I think the one time it was allowed, ours lasted a good 6 rounds.
    Recently completed a very slow Completionist adventure, playing each class until I was bored. My son (Henry) randomly picked the next class from the ones I hadn't done yet.

Oh i totally forgot the "Rod of Wonder." That item is totally *****in'

had a lvl 8 ftr that had the Wyrm that hides in blades as a bastie.

could assume dragon form 1/3days.

of course when it was a dragon i was weaponless had to learn how to wrestle till i found a sunblade.
    X...what? that is my signature

Community Member

We had several good ones, an invisible PC with a mirror of life trapping manged to catch a 20th lvl wizard and his paladin brother who couldn't die in one shot. I had wizard who would run around with a talismin of the sphere on a chain and smack things with it doing something like 4d6 each hit. Best of all were wands of wonder, break one and watch the carnage, with house rule wands discharged a random percent when broken at ground zero. Lots of total party kills with that one.

Community Member

A deck of cards (think the DM found it in a Faerun campaign book).. Its been a long time but i think half the cards had a postive effect, half the cards had a negative effect. Whatever card you drew affected you. My Necromancer ended up pulling the most ridiculous card in the deck. Became so powerfull the DM had to make a few changes and took the deck out of the game..

Quote Originally Posted by Der_Incubo View Post
    A deck of cards (think the DM found it in a Faerun campaign book).. Its been a long time but i think half the cards had a postive effect, half the cards had a negative effect. Whatever card you drew affected you. My Necromancer ended up pulling the most ridiculous card in the deck. Became so powerfull the DM had to make a few changes and took the deck out of the game..
    That is called a Deck of Many Things - I can't tell you how many characters I had with an 18 charisma and a small keep.

Proud officer of Crate and Barrel Smashing, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Xenus_Paradox View Post
    Any Wizzy who's powerful enough to cast that spell would also have a way to negate the damage or take it and just not die. Or die and instantly come back to life. Or...
    as i said, i had an epic artifact cast the 305d6 and take 200d6, then explode 8D (conveniently after they wish/true ressed him back to life)

but yeah, i think epic classes all get some sorta cheat death ability round level 24, my memory is a bit hazy though....

looking back through that particular epic campaign, i found something else... interesting i did. i had them fight baalzebub (thats the lord of the 3rd hell), and i also had him with a perma
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Crown_of_Vermin
    on himself from a crown. (basically it does 1000 damage, then you have to cast it again)

and the funnier part is, when they picked up the crown and were like sweet! and cast it, 3 party members died, because, yknow, it was a demonically imbued crown that only protects evil people, and also because i was trying really hard to kill them. (i succeeded eventually)

also, 1000th post!
    Last edited by stille_nacht; 03-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jwdaniels View Post
    That is called a Deck of Many Things - I can't tell you how many characters I had with an 18 charisma and a small keep.
    Probably the same amount as you had who were completely alive but san a soul. Probably as many as had to fight, a little death.

but yeah, i think epic classes all get some sorta cheat death ability round level 24, my memory is a bit hazy though....
    ...only the ones that want to live to level 25.

Community Member

Default Sooooooooooooooooooo Eeeeeeaaaaaasssssssssyyyyyy

2nd Ed rules, a gutsy death wished wild mage who got a deck of many things state he would have unlimited draws, and then made the control check to pick his draws, insta NPC status!

Community Member

Gauntlets of Terrak, the fists of an elder earth elemental that fell into slumber. I described to someone the gauntlets, and they decided to put them on. They needed a DC 24 strength check to punch with them, which the local fighter was able to barely manage some of the time, but hitting with it dealt 10d10 damage, the damage of a boulder falling from 100 feet up.

The local Priest of Tharzidun had it coming. The fighter decided to scream FALCONPUNCH! When he rolled the twenty.
    Last edited by PsycoJelly; 05-11-2011 at 10:23 PM.

In a diceless game I played, one of the NPCs (former-PC) had The Deck of Many Things, with all the bad cards removed. You could never draw from the deck more than once (himself included) and it only worked if he let you draw of his own free will. He was an extremely hard bargainer.

The funny thing is, the game was so incredibly hard that it wasn't overpowering.
    Some toons with Cow in the name, and some without.

Community Member

Default oh oh i got one!

well i didnt use it and i wasnt the dm that allowed it but my friend who i played with once did it
    he crafted shurikens that are returning elemental and made of some strange metal that electrocuted people hitting for like 2d12
    then he took a feat that let him throw six of these in a turn...
    we were level 3 btw

Wow - this thread has been necro'd twice now

Vorpal Spoon.

It was made for my best friend in a 2nd Edition campaign over 10 years ago. He was a thief and used it as an assassination tool. He would disguise himself as a waiter or servant and serve soup to his target with the spoon in the bowl.

Then the target had to roll for each sip he took with the spoon. If he rolled a one, well... that's a messy accident for soup. Since most of his targets were higher class, they were usually pretty prim and proper, well guarded, hard to get to... but they followed their manners VERY well.

How many sips does it take to finish your soup?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast