Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EdgarLockheart View Post
    I suppose you could store a huge boulder or a building or something else massive and just will it out on top of your enemies.
    or just store an army of golems
    Im reasonably certain that staff had limits. I recall reading a lengthy article about it in an issue of dragon. I think it was skip williams who clarified that anything as always means anything mundane. People far to often in D&D forgot that even a minor magical aura on something made it no longer part of the anything definition.

For example there was a similar series of items known as the bracelets of storing. they had several varieities. the lesser on said in description you could use it to store ANY weapon by holding it and speaking the command word. up to 8 weapons in one. Yet on the greater variety it said it could store up to 8 magical weapons. see how magical weapon is seperate and above any weapon. as the any actually only implies to any mundane weapon.

Magical items are always exceptions not part of the normal.

I was a huge fan of the game Risk for many years. When they came out with a new version based on the future I raged it. The game came with new cards to play. One of these cards was blank so you could create your own. I created "Armagedon- Play all of your cards for free." Little did I know that was a game breaker. Whoever played that card could not lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    No, although VIP players do get free Gold rolls on Daily Dice, so that might fit into your criteria. But when it comes to chest drops, chain rewards, general Daily Dice rolls (what number you get), etc., VIP does not confer additional "luck".

Pirate Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

3.5, from the Magic Item Compendium: the Belt of Battle. 9000gp to craft, and gave you a free standard action on your turn once per day. Doesn't seem powerfull? Now put it on my Int34 wizzie with the +20 or so initiative modifier. Oh, and she has a sister, played by my husband. Once we crafted a few duplicates, the number of encounters we didn't totally pwn directly in the surprise round was minimal.

This thread seems to get kicked back to life every two months, so, it never quite gets a true necro. but is kinda ambles along like an undead thing, unwilling to die.

A fellow player still has it. a BIG red ruby with an eye inside of it. We think its a dragon, we're not sure, and have not found out how unlock it. Nor do we intend to unless it's the right situation.

The DM is possessed.

For me, someone else posted it, the Horn of Blasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedOrm View Post
    3.5, from the Magic Item Compendium: the Belt of Battle. 9000gp to craft, and gave you a free standard action on your turn once per day. Doesn't seem powerfull? Now put it on my Int34 wizzie with the +20 or so initiative modifier. Oh, and she has a sister, played by my husband. Once we crafted a few duplicates, the number of encounters we didn't totally pwn directly in the surprise round was minimal.
    Only +20? Pshh...by the time you have 34 INT, +20 is about half of what you ought to have as a wizard.
    Last edited by Aspenor; 10-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Default :d

AD&D:

Got really bored, so I played dm for a week. My brother rolled up a fighter, and I was trying to figure out how to keep him interested (he was 6 or 7 at the time). It was only him trying to solo.

In the end, level 9 fighter wearing some red dragon armor I designed for him. The armor alone gave him ac of -9! (think 40 ac in d&d 3.5, or 90+ ac in ddo terms)

Version 3.5:
    Excalibur's scabard: dr 20/-

Needless to say, those groups didn't last long...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    You may now return to your WoW bashing.
    Fweebie
    "Crouching Tiger Hidden Nerfbat!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquishedfo View Post
    Im reasonably certain that staff had limits. I recall reading a lengthy article about it in an issue of dragon. I think it was skip williams who clarified that anything as always means anything mundane. People far to often in D&D forgot that even a minor magical aura on something made it no longer part of the anything definition.

For example there was a similar series of items known as the bracelets of storing. they had several varieities. the lesser on said in description you could use it to store ANY weapon by holding it and speaking the command word. up to 8 weapons in one. Yet on the greater variety it said it could store up to 8 magical weapons. see how magical weapon is seperate and above any weapon. as the any actually only implies to any mundane weapon.

Magical items are always exceptions not part of the normal.
    True, but as far as I know, there were very few non-mundane buildings, boulders or mountains in most settings (Except Forgotten Realms, maybe. Pretty sure that entire planets was enchanted to +3 at some point).
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

I know this is a crazy bump, but i was looking at my dads char sheets from 1980s/90s and his 42nd lvl wizzie had ascended to lichhood and used alter reality to make each one of his fingers a staff of the magi...talk about OP spellcasters. Apparently he could absorb almost any spell and shoot it back out at his enemy, along with casting his own.

I never really used an extremely powerful item, but my friend used one that surpassed all other items combined in our group.

He played a paladin and was given a Shield of Spell Reflecting, which conveyed the ability to reflect any spell cast at him back at the caster with no save.

He never used it and so our Dungeon Master completely forgot that he had it until that fateful day we had an epic fight with the boss of our campaign, a ridiculously powerful evil cleric.

Just as we were about to kill the cleric, our Dungeon Master said something along the lines of this:

Suddenly the cleric stops and laughs, as he raises his hands to the heavens and the dark powers of his god materialize into the form of a spell of immense power. He cackles as he says, "This is the true power of the dark gods, a spell that kills with no hope of resurrection, leaving the victim dead forever!"

He cast it at my friend, who promptly whipped out his shield and deflected the spell back at the cleric. The Dungeon Master was so ****ed with him, he had completely forgotten about the shield and he had wasted hours preparing the dungeons we would go through to find a means of raising our friend the paladin.

Good times, good times...
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

Community Member

Custom made greatsword. It makes our Sword of Shadows look like a kid's toy.

Solaf's Blade
    8d10 + 15
    Vorpal
    Crit Range: 15-20
    Multiplier: x4
    On hit target must make a fortitude save at -10 or suffer 6 negative levels
    On hit target must make a will save at -10 or be afflicted by a fear spell for 5d6 + 5 rounds
    On hit target must make a reflex save at -10 or be struck by lighting for 15d6 + 50 lighting damage
    Wrath of the Merciless - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 evil damage on all targets of non-evil alignment
    Mercy of the Heavens - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 good damage on all targets of non-good alignment
    Curse of Neutrality - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 neutral damage on all targets of non-neutral alignment
    Cruel Justice - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 lawful damage on all targets of non-lawful alignment
    Blissful Rebellion - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 anarchic damage on all targets of non-chaotic alignment

The best part about this weapon? It was wielded by the Avatar of Death, Solaf the Annihilator, who was my homebrew campaign's final boss. Anyone who dared to close in melee range was basically one shot, since they took would take 30d6 + 36 alignment damage per hit. Ahhh that was a fun end fight. ...For me. My party still cries when I mention this sword.

Default Flying Carpet+Bag of Tricks

Our DM ruled that if you throw the ball of lint from the bag of tricks, it will transform in the air. So, my brother decided to fly as fast as possible on his flying carpet, and throw the lint, giving it a very high velocity. It then transformed into a rhino, and hit whatever monster he was targeting for a lot of damage. That was a very interesting campaign series.
    Last edited by Shrggnien; 04-13-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: clarification
    Shrggnien, 3rd life horc barb~Craftsteel, Artificer~Dahlan, 2nd life monk~Lokeyn, 2nd life sorcerer~Gongorra, Favored Soul

Quote Originally Posted by Varashad View Post
    Custom made greatsword. It makes our Sword of Shadows look like a kid's toy.

Solaf's Blade
    8d10 + 15
    Vorpal
    Crit Range: 15-20
    Multiplier: x4
    On hit target must make a fortitude save at -10 or suffer 6 negative levels
    On hit target must make a will save at -10 or be afflicted by a fear spell for 5d6 + 5 rounds
    On hit target must make a reflex save at -10 or be struck by lighting for 15d6 + 50 lighting damage
    Wrath of the Merciless - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 evil damage on all targets of non-evil alignment
    Mercy of the Heavens - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 good damage on all targets of non-good alignment
    Curse of Neutrality - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 neutral damage on all targets of non-neutral alignment
    Cruel Justice - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 lawful damage on all targets of non-lawful alignment
    Blissful Rebellion - Inflicts 6d6 + 12 anarchic damage on all targets of non-chaotic alignment
    Dear Lord! Thats just sadistic for a DM to give to a boss!

Way back when I had just started playing my DM was fool enough to let us all create any weapon we could imagine. So at lvl 1 I had something along these lines.

+10 Greataxe (1d12 dmg per charecter lvl) x10-20(2 per charecter lvl)

So when this charecter go to lvl 20 (a year or two later) I was swining an axe with a 100% crit chance for 20d12+10 dmg with x40 crits... That was so lolsy. I was one shotting bosses just because of the STUPID crits I felt so cool. Then my DM learend how to make real casters.... Needless to say my poor human fighter got his butt handed to him on a silver platter.
    Cannith- A Tribe Called Zerg
    Elbion Tosscobble: TR'ing Atm
    Ivena: 20 Rouge TR1 Dps/Epic Trapper/Epic Assassination
    And a multitude of changing alts

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    Some friends of mine were in a low-level campaign, and there was a fifty-foot tall adamantine door in a building where they were questing. They were somehow able to swipe the door and sell it for its scrap adamantine value, which was an utterly insane amount of money at their level. Then they were able to buy pretty much anything they wanted in order to overgear their characters.

This happen everytime.. In a game we manage to kill a gold golem and we sold the gold statue for a certain amount of gold (back in the AD&D days).

In my opinion, never limit player with their resources, there will be always a bigger fish than them.,..
    Sarlona : The Quebeckers - Soloing, Duoing or Small Group in french
    Thelanis : Sofa Kings - Yes, we are that cool

Quote Originally Posted by jwdaniels View Post
    That is called a Deck of Many Things - I can't tell you how many characters I had with an 18 charisma and a small keep.
    How did you draw enough cards for that without drawing a bad one? lol

I had a set of teeth, I forget what it was called. But one was rolled randomly, and I thought it was funny so I stuck it in. Gave me something good so I told the DM I wanted to quest for more. He let me roll each time we found one at the end of the quest to see which one I found that time (after I inserted it of course). I remember so really good effects, and some hidious ones, but it was funny enough to keep taking the risk. Then I picked up a "metal passes through you as if you weren't there" one and at first the DM thought I was done in (so much for my armor, rings, weapon, etc), but put on some cloth and wear gloves and suddenly it was a "good luck trying to kill me" tooth.
    Last edited by Gkar; 05-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobril View Post
    While I wasn’t the one who gave out the item, the most powerful thing
    in any of our PnP campaigns was also the only item ever banned.

Staff of Storing

Upon speaking the command word (store) and touching an object, that object
    is then stored inside the staff.

Any object stored in the staff can be retrieved later by concentrating on the
    desired object and willing it to reappear.

The staff has an unlimited carrying capacity.
    This would so lead to grief in my groups back in the day...

Default A little overdone?

My DM had created his own hybrid spelljammer/ravenloft/forgotten realms setting and turned us loose.
    In this world he allowed me to play a Minotaur , silly man. I lucked out and rolled a LG alignment (he wouldnt let you play a pally otherwise, just a ftr with really good intentions) it was like a 10% chance.
    Well, in his universe there was a "time god" who would only accept 1 cleric bc his gifts were so powerfull....but he didnt make up any rules abt having a pally.
    After annoying the dm with endless prayers to the time god, declaring every battle a display for the glory of the time god, sending any and all treasures not needed to the temple of the time god....the dm shut me up by letting me be the 1 and only pally of the time god.
    Now a 7 foot tall cow with a great club and the eyes of a zealot is bad enough, but instead of healing I was given time effects. Speed time, stop time, yeah almost game breaking.
    Add in the enchanted addy horns some grateful dwarves crafted for me and the fact i was swinging highly enchanted bars of mithril as clubs and i tormented my dm for 25 levels until the day I was told that the time god "had called his champion to serve him in the heavens" lol.
    Still have the old green and white char. sheet for that guy. =)
    Come to think of it, that was the same guy who sprinkled in decks of many things for fun also.
    Last edited by jevon66; 06-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Community Member

hmm, my most powerfullst item.

if id have to guess it will be of my Mad gnome bard. made it to level 11.

hmm, if id have a choose between

A, a suit of dragonscale armor. leather that allowed him to transform into a huge dragon.
    B, a box containing the apocolypse.
    C, a teddy bear he found in an vampire invested cave which he used to blame all his evil deeds on.
    later on he started to animate the teddy with an unseen servant. making it follow him around while he used ghost sound to make it whisper "stuff".

after one epic journey throughout the landscape the teddy ambushed the a couple of dragons in a cave filled with explosives while he was swinging a torch(yes i know unseen servants cant make attack roles, this was letting the torch fall into a explosive barrel. taking out several dragons in a cave in.

then i choose C!. a normal teddy bear.

Default Well, if you read the forums...

Every item is ridiculously powerful. Masterwork rapiers, armor of any kind, sprint boost, rage, Terror, Madstone, legs, arms, eye contact, gentle words, companion certificates, pictures of Hall & Oates, old episodes of Miami Vice, everything kills bad guys too fast.

One time I logged into the game and got quest completions by /taunt-ing the quest givers.

I have also stood in place once and /dance-d and that immediately gave me 18934201894 epic tokens. It was my first life and I was running the Collaborator on normal.

Sometimes I don't even log in, I just check myDDO and it shows quest completions just from bad guys being so scared they preemptively surrender. It happens.

So for me, the most ridiculously powerful item I have used in a game is... my mind. And... uh... and like a computer and stuff, but mostly my mind.

I am bored.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Community Member

Default omg dragonborn witha dragon orb

lvl 3 dragonborn pali with a black dragon orb..... DM and pcs were all noob had know idea what we were doin but it was fun learning expeirance, kinda mean though killing 2 ogres with 1 blast of its breath weapon attack leaving the 3 not far behind lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast