Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reducing spell point usage

After I submitted my guide to in-quest spell point recovery someone asked about saving spell points in game. So here it is!

If you notice any errors or omissions please let me know.

----------------------------------------------------

Items that save spell points

Arcane Shard
    Description: Quarterstaff that has Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II (Maximize costs 4SP less per spell).

Belashyrra's Scepter
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Empower II (Empower Spell costs 2SP less per spell)

Dragontouched Armor
    Description: Tempest Rune of Empowered Healing Efficient Metamagic - Empower Healing II (Empower Healing costs 2SP less per spell).
    Location: Possible end chest reward in Prey on the Hunter. See here for more info.

Elder's Focus
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Extend I (Extend costs 1SP less per spell)
    Location: Possible chest reward in The Last Stand. May also be a chain reward.

Epic Bejeweled Letter Opener
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Empower Healing II (Empower Heal costs 2SP less per spell)
    Location: Crafted item which the base item can be a possible chest reward in The Chamber of Raiyum

Epic Elder's Focus
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Extend II (Extend costs 2SP less per spell)
    Location: Crafted item which the base item can be a possible chest reward in The Last Stand.

Epic Ornamented Dagger
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II (Maximize costs 4SP less per spell)
    Location: Crafted item which the base item can be made during the Smuggler's Rest Event

Epic Shaman's Beads
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II (Maximize costs 4SP less per spell)
    Location: Crafted item which the base item can be a possible chest reward in Fathom_the_Depths.

Epic Vulkoorim Dervish Robe
    Location: Crafted item which the base item can be a possible chest reward in The Sands of Menechtarun (Drow area)

Gloves of the Glacier
    Description: Gloves that have Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II (Maximize costs 4SP less per spell), Efficient Metamagic - Extend II (Extend costs 2SP less).
    Location: Possible chest reward in A Vision of Destruction. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Greater Cunning Trinket
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Maximize I (Maximize costs 2SP less per spell)
    Location: Crafted item which the base item can be made during the Smuggler's Rest Event

Lorrik's Necklace
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Empower Healing II (Empower Heal costs 2SP less per spell)
    Location: Possible chest reward in Hound of Xoriat. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Molb's Fist
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Enlarge I (Enlarge costs 1SP less per spell)

Noxious Embers
    Description: Necklace that has Efficient Metamagic - Enlarge I (Enlarge costs 1SP less per spell).
    Location: Possible chest reward in Ascension Chamber. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Ring of Thelis
    Description: Efficient Metamagic - Empower II (Empower Spell costs 2SP less per spell)
    Location: Possible chest reward in Hound of Xoriat. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Staff of Fleshshaping
    Description: Effecient Metamagic - Empower Healing II (Empower Healing costs 2SP less per spell)

Staff of the Petitioner
    Description: Power Store (All spells cast while this item is equipped will cost 10% less spell points)
    Location: Possible chest reward in Ascension Chamber. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Set Bonuses

Virtuoso Set Bonus
    Description: A necklace and ring set that when worn together offers the following - Extend spell costs 2SP less per spell cast.
    Location: (1) Smedgar's Necklace is a possible end chest reward in Bastion of Power and a possible chest reward in the Tower of Despair.
    Location: (2) Smedgar's Ring is a possible end chest reward in the Tower of Despair. The ring may also be in 20th Tower of Despair end reward list.

Warchanter Set Bonus
    Description: A necklace and ring set that when worn together offers the following - Maximize costs 4SP less and Extend costs 1SP less per spell.
    Location: (1) Torin's Choker is a possible end chest reward in Sins of Attrition and a possible chest reward in the Tower of Despair.
    Location: (2) The Warchanter's Band is a possible end chest reward in the Tower of Despair. The ring may also be in 20th Tower of Despair end reward list.

Amaunator's Blessing
    Description: -10% Spell Point Cost

Battle Arcanist
    Description: -10% Spell Point Cost

Clickies

Deific Diadem
    Description: Five charges of lesser Heighten (20 second duration) which allows you to use the Heighten metamagic feat at no additional cost.
    Location: Location: Possible chest reward in Ascension Chamber. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Epic Ornamented Dagger
    Description: Three charges of lesser Maximize (20 second duration) which allows you to use the Maximize metamagic feat at no additional cost.

Litany of the Dead
    Description: Three charges of Turn the Page which reduces all spell point costs by 50% for the next six seconds.

Noxious Embers
    Description: Five charges of lesser Maximize (20 second duration) which allows you to use the Maximize metamagic feat at no additional cost.

Abilities

Bard Songs
    Description: Spellsong Trance gives a +10% morale discount on spell point cost of spells for yourself and all allies within range

Monk Finishing Move
    Description: Aligning the Heavens reduces the spell point costs of all nearby allies by 25% for 60 Seconds.

Turn-ins

Bijio
    Description: Shield with Efficient Metamagic - Empower Healing I (Empower Healing costs 1SP less per spell).

Plume of Adherence
    Description: Helmet that has Efficient Metamagic - Maximize I (Maximize costs 2SP less per spell).

Skiver
    Description: Dagger that has Efficient Metamagic - Extend I (Extend costs 1SP less per spell), Efficient Metamagic - Empower II (Empower costs 2SP less).

Enhancements

Cleric Improved Empower Healing
    Description: Using the Empower Healing Spell feat costs you 1 to 4 less spell points per spell cast.
    Cost: 2 Action Points to 6 Action Points

Favored Soul Improved Empowering
    Description: Using the Empower feat costs you 2 to 6 less spell points per spell cast.
    Cost: 2 Action Points to 6 Action Points.

Sorcerer Improved Empowering
    Description: Using the Empower feat costs you 2 to 6 less spell points per spell cast.

Sorcerer Improved Enlarge
    Description: Using the Enlarge feat costs you 1 to 4 less spell points per spell cast.

Sorcerer Improved Heightening
    Description: Using the Enlarge feat costs you 1 to 2 less spell points per level of heightening.
    Cost: 4 Action Points to 6 Action Points.

Sorcerer Improved Maximizing
    Description: Using the Maximize feat costs you 3 to 9 less spell points per spell cast.

Sorcerer Improved Quickening
    Description: Using the Quicken feat costs you 1 to 4 less spell points per spell cast.

Wizard Improved Empowering

Wizard Improved Enlarge
    Description: Using the Enlarge feat costs you 1 to 4 less spell points per spell cast.

Wizard Improved Heightening
    Description: Using the Heighten feat costs you 1 to 2 less spells point per level of heightening.
    Cost: 4 Action Points to 6 Action Points.

Wizard Improved Maximizing
    Description: Using the Maximize feat costs you 3 to 9 less spell points per spell cast.

Wizard Improved Quickening
    Description: Using the Quicken feat costs you 1 to 4 less spell points per spell cast.

Wizard Master of Magic
    Description: Available at level 20, all metamagics you possess cost 1 fewer spell point to use. (Heighten Spell costs 1 fewer spell point per level of heightening.)
    Cost: 2 Action Points

Cannith Crafting

Main Hand/Offhand Weapon

Trinkets and Rune Arms
    Description: Any one Efficient Metamagic which includes Empower, Enlarge, Extend, Maximize, Empower Healing

Alchemical Crafting

Tier 3 Elemental Binding
    Description: When adding Tier 3 to your alchemical accessory or weapon if you use a Mystical effect you will gain an Efficient Metamagic. Which Efficient Metamagic you get depends on what type of augment you add.
    - Air -> Efficient Metamagic Enlarge II
    - Earth -> Efficient Metamagic Empower II
    - Water -> Efficient Metamagic Extend II
    - Fire -> Efficient Metamagic Maximize II

Epic Destinies

Arcane Adept
    Description: All spells you cast receive an enhancement bonus of -10% to their spell point costs.

Stacking
    - Items and enhancements stack with each other.
    - Items that have the same enhancement do not stack, only the highest value is used.
    - Multiple items can be worn to reduce multiple Metamagic costs
    - Clickies stack with items and enhancements
    - Arcane Adept does not stack with any items or sets that already offer -10% spell point cost since it is also an enhancement bonus

Notes
    - All items except for clickies must remain equipped to gain the benefit of spell point reduction.

Updated to add new items up to U16 and Epic Destinies

Virtuoso set bonus is two more songs and Extend 2. Staff of the Petitioner has Power Store.
    Quote Originally Posted by havokiano View Post
    you are boring. And you rosik a lot. bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by suitepotato View Post
    With the amount of facepalming we do, it's a wonder DDO players have any noses left.

Very, very useful resource

+1, and bookmarked.

Zaviticus | Trawn | Minithra | Drislara | Gwinyth | Overdrive | Buttermylk | Karrisa | Thundyrcat

Virtuoso set bonus is two more songs and Extend 2. Staff of the Petitioner has Power Store.
    That's what I get for copy/paste to save 5 seconds of typing. Fixed and thanks

Community Member

Question

Does one enhancement stack with another similar enhancement in this case? For example, does Sorcerer's Improved Maximising stack with Wizard's Improved Maximising?

Community Member

Nice work, you could also add items to recover SP like bauble, ring of spell storing, twisted talisman...

Nice work, you could also add items to recover SP like bauble, ring of spell storing, twisted talisman...
    No, that's why there's a second guide. Guide to in-quest spell point recovery

Community Member

Looks like a good start. You're missing DT Empower Heal rune, though. http://ddowiki.com/page/Efficient_Metamagic should help fill out the list.

Also, the Epic Ornamented Dagger has only 3 charges.
    Last edited by GotSomeQuestions; 04-17-2011 at 01:49 PM.

It isn't quite what you're going for here... but as a cleric I find that nothing reduces spell point usage even a fraction as much as a liberal use of Heal scrolls. When I saw the title, it was my first thought.

I've occasionally gone through a full stack on a quest, and I don't think much else could replace the 15K HPs worth of healing that entails...

I don't think other Spell Casters have a bread & butter scroll that comes even close to the Heal scroll for clerics/FvS.
    Last edited by Raoull; 04-18-2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Looks like a good start. You're missing DT Empower Heal rune, though. http://ddowiki.com/page/Efficient_Metamagic should help fill out the list.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Dragontouched_Armor would be a better URL to use for dragontouched info, and yes I completely forgot about DT runes.

Also, the Epic Ornamented Dagger has only 3 charges.
    Yet another victim of copy/paste to save time and missing the editing. Thanks and fixed.

Community Member

A major thank you for this information - and for your guides on spell point recovery and arcane spell failure; very helpful!

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Anyone have any qualitative or quantitative information about the value of various enhancements? I generally assume that the first tier of spell discount enhancements is valuable for a metamagic feat that you have on all the time (heighten, empower, maximise).

Beyond that, it's a bit of a mystery to me. Anyone have any ideas?

Is it safe to assume that like bonuses still do not stack? Or might they stack like Dodge?

In other words, can I make use of 2 items with Improved Metamagic- Empower II, for instance?

What if one of them was Improved Metamagic- Empower I?

My gut tells me that only the highest would apply, but seeing as I do not have the gear to test, I figured I should ask.
    Tip# 203: Death is a traumatic experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Anyone have any qualitative or quantitative information about the value of various enhancements? I generally assume that the first tier of spell discount enhancements is valuable for a metamagic feat that you have on all the time (heighten, empower, maximise).

I put as much of these as I can afford onto any Metamagic I use.

The discounts really add up.
    Tip# 203: Death is a traumatic experience.

Added: Belashyrra's Scepter

Quote Originally Posted by Ivid
    A major thank you for this information - and for your guides on spell point recovery and arcane spell failure; very helpful!
    You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigalGuru
    Is it safe to assume that like bonuses still do not stack? Or might they stack like Dodge?

In other words, can I make use of 2 items with Improved Metamagic- Empower II, for instance?

What if one of them was Improved Metamagic- Empower I?

My gut tells me that only the highest would apply, but seeing as I do not have the gear to test, I figured I should ask.
    I already listed everything that stacks, but since I did not specify what _doesn't_ stack I guess that does lead to questions. Like items do not stack for reducing SP costs as in your example for two items with improved metamagic empower II.

Items with different levels of the same type of SP reduction do not stack as in your example of improved metamagic empower I and improved metamagic empower II. Only the highest savings will apply.

Enhancements do not stack either. Wizard Improved Empowering I and Wizard Improved Empowering II only give you the highest bonus.

What does stack is an item and enhancements. Having Wizard Improved Empowering II and and item with improved metamagic empower II would stack.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off

Their value is up to you honestly and how many action points you are willing to spend to save yourself a few spell points.

Lets assume a wizard with 2000 spell points only casting Wall of Fire. And lets assume this wizard only has the empower metamagic.

Wall of fire costs 25SP and empower costs 15SP for a total of 40SP. So 2000 divided by 40SP means you can cast wall of fire 50 times.

So now lets add in Wizard improved empower I which saves you 2SP per spell cast. Since you cast wall of fire 50 times, you would have 100SP left over.

If you had improved empower II you would save a total of 200SP

If you had improved empower II and an item with Efficient Metamagic - Empower II you would save a total of 300SP

Now a wizard with only empower is pretty gimp, so consider how much SP you really do save by running with improved empower II, improved maximize II an empower II item and the wizard capstone. That's pretty much like having a free major mnemonic pot for each and every shrine you use.

Anything more than zero SP left at the end of the quest was wasted SP. That's my philosophy anyway. I carry some SP clickies though just in case =)

Community Member

Might want to also add the Efficient Metamagic effects that can be crafted onto trinkets (and weapons/shields for Efficient Empower Healing)

+1 one for putting a lot of it together.

Community Member

Missed a huge point heading on sp conservation: scrolls/wands
    resist energy(or given the higher single element resists possible for a savant, protection from energy wands of decent level). Ditto stoneskin wands.

One big party buff that can be reasonably scrolled is greater heroism. 11 minute duration from scroll. Less temp hp and can save casting it for longer duration or more temp hp only for when it's really really necessary to do so.
    Unlike higher level resist elements, gh scrolls are buyable from vendor with cl 11.

Heal scrolls for divines.

Sharing ship resist shrines with a party if you have them, even if it means using two ships or more to get a full gamut of 30 resist buffs appropriate for he quest/raid is another huge conservation simply by not having to cast it multiple times per person for 6-12 people. If one is required to handle them exclusively in a raid such a task could easily eat hundreds of sp in and of itself for a single element.

Just a thought..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast