Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Easy way to create your own custom UI skin!

---UPDATE (7/10/2012)---

THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN HALTED UNTIL A NEW ART ASSET PACK IS PROVIDED FOR ME TO WORK WITH.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I thought of making my own UI skin, I disliked how all of the files were clumped into just one folder. So I went ahead and looked at all of the .tga images and placed them in folders pertaining as to what category they are in. Most of the images were either outdated or weren't even used in the game anymore. A ton of images were also very small (small as in 5x5 pixels at the largest) which would make it a nightmare for any person that wanted to make their own customized user interface skin for DDO.

Therefore, I took only choice .tga files and grouped them in separate organized folders so that it would be much easier to find the images I want to edit in the future. After I finished the strenuous project (and believe me sorting through thousands of files isn't exactly fun ), I thought that perhaps I would share this organized version with the community. If you would like to download the organized pack I put together, the download link is below. Also, I recommended using GIMP in editing the images, though any image editor that can handle transparency should work just fine.

---UPDATE (3/10/2012)---
    While I have retrieved the most recent UI Art Asset pack, I went through and re-organized everything since a bunch of new images were added since the time I first started this thread.

*Compacted .zip file containing only the necessary images.
    *GIMP

If you have any questions, you can leave a post in this thread or send me a PM and I will try my best to answer it.

Some examples of what you can modify:
    * Hotbars
    * Health gauge
    * Character sheet interface
    * Inventory interface
    * Character lfm icons
    * Mailbox icons

Tutorial 1 - Custom DDO UI Skins
    *The tutorial may be outdated; I plan on making more tutorials at some point in time*
    Last edited by Quarterling; 07-10-2012 at 03:51 PM.
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?
    Click this sentence for a tutorial learning how, an easy-to-follow video guide.

This is really cool, nice work!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

+1 for you OP, that's very helpful!
    Ghallanda Server: Rodasch - Pale Master, Niccolina - Assassin, Mahlak - Radiant Servant, Etayn - Monster, Brikbaht - Tukaw, Khawstik - Pale Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroi-koibito View Post
    I didn't have the heart to tell him he looked like a fat guy in a Godzilla suit.

Community Member

+1 for awesome work

Hey thanks all! It appears to have 40 downloads already as well. I changed the readme.txt to say that the uploaded file does not include every single UI Skin file needed, only the common ones that most people would want to modify. Therefore, it mentions that you will need to download the original skin package at the lotro forums if you have not already.
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?

Very cool thanks for posting this.
    Server: Orien
    Guild: Over Raided
    Toons: Phasma - Swashbuckler ; Ceroni - Acrobat ; Selina Air Savant ; Cachin - Artificer

Community Member

Very cool.

So what exactly do i do with any of these?

Say i edit some .tga file. Where does it go? Poking around in ddo i don't see any tga's to be replaced.

(and what the hell is turbineelevator.exe "Elevates application to Administrator privilege." I don't think i like the sound of that at all.)

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    Very cool.

Say i edit some .tga file. Where does it go? Poking around in ddo i don't see any tga's to be replaced.

(and what the hell is turbineelevator.exe "Elevates application to Administrator privilege." I don't think i like the sound of that at all.)
    Sounds like it runs DDO as an administrator under Windows. I'll let you know once I've downloaded the package!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    Very cool.

It's sort of a long process to explain, so I was thinking of making a video tutorial sometime soon. Here's the short quick answer though:

* You need an image editor (such as GIMP).
    * There's an application called TGATool3 that you may want to get, it makes things much easier.
    * Customized skins go into Documents -> D&D Online -> ui -> skins

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterling View Post
    It's sort of a long process to explain, so I was thinking of making a video tutorial sometime soon. Here's the short quick answer though:

* You need an image editor (such as GIMP).
    * There's an application called TGATool3 that you may want to get, it makes things much easier.
    * Customized skins go into Documents -> D&D Online -> ui -> skins
    Woah, I hadn't seen that TGATool3 before. That, is very cool. Sooo much easier than what I was doing to edit the alpha channels, thanks!

And, of course, excellent work organizing the UI images to make skin creation easier!
    ~~~~{Rampant Altoholic based in Cannith and multiplying...}~~~~

~~~~{Former UI skin author of Cosmos, currently waiting for a new art asset release}~~~~

Community Member

I'll pass on the video.

The other info was all i needed. thx

Stickied!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Stickied!
    Yay!
    Ghallanda Server: Rodasch - Pale Master, Niccolina - Assassin, Mahlak - Radiant Servant, Etayn - Monster, Brikbaht - Tukaw, Khawstik - Pale Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroi-koibito View Post
    I didn't have the heart to tell him he looked like a fat guy in a Godzilla suit.

Wow thanks! I also made a video tutorial for those that would like some easier explanation. Because as everybody knows, it is easier to show and explain than just to explain.

Hmm... after editing the first post, I was hoping that the thread's title "Video Tutorial - Easy way to create your own custom UI skin" would be the same for when people are just browsing the forums. Since this is a combination of organized UI files and a video tutorial, think the title could get fixed anytime soon?
    Last edited by Quarterling; 03-14-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Where were you when I first started making a skin?! When I think of the untold hours this thread could have saved me... /shakes her fist

lol!

Very well done, the video is a great addition.
    ~~~~{Rampant Altoholic based in Cannith and multiplying...}~~~~

~~~~{Former UI skin author of Cosmos, currently waiting for a new art asset release}~~~~

Community Member

I edit my tga files in GIMP. Is there some reason that you also suggest TGA Tool3? What does it do?

Community Member jackel_inognito's Avatar
    in my own little happy place, they are good to me here

what does UI mean?
    "If you spank it, you tank it!"

Quote Originally Posted by jackel_inognito View Post
    what does UI mean?
    User Interface

Quote Originally Posted by NotTheNorm View Post
    I edit my tga files in GIMP. Is there some reason that you also suggest TGA Tool3? What does it do?
    The only reason I suggested TGA Tool is because you can easily edit the alpha value separately from the main image. While you can do this in GIMP, this tutorial is geared toward new people wanting to learn how to do this.

However, I have lately been running into some issues regarding TGA Tool and no longer use it (sometimes when you save an image in TGA Tool, the image because a pixelated mess and I have no idea why it does that); and as a result I have stopped using it altogether and now only use GIMP alone.

Meridia Suburb of Stormreach, Xen'Drik. But have a vacation home in Cordova, Tennessee

Just found this thread via your sig...very cool!
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast