Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guide to in-quest spell point recovery

I made a reply in another thread with a list of items that can give a user spell points and felt that perhaps the community may like a detailed list of as many possible items that will return spell points in a quest.

If you notice any errors or omissions please let me know.

----------------------------------------------------

While this guide does include Mnemonic Enhancement potions, it is hoped that users will use as many of the other items here first before resorting to potions.

Items that return spell points

Archivists Necklace
    Description: A necklace with two charges 10-35SP per charge. This item is Exclusive.
    Location: End reward choice for The Salvation of Korthos chain.

Mysterious Bauble
    Description: A trinket that has one charge of Major Mnemonic Enhancement. Does not need to stay equipped. Returns 105-600SP per charge. This item is Exclusive.
    Location: Possible reward in end chest in The Weapons Shipment.

Ring of Spell Storing
    Description: Three charges 25SP per charge. Does not need to stay equipped. This item is Exclusive.
    Location: Possible reward in General Tanankh's chest (rare encounter) in the Sands of Menechtarun.

Epic Ring of Spell Storing
    Description: A ring that has three charges of Major Mnemonic Enhancement. Does not need to stay equipped. Returns 105-600SP per charge. This item is Exclusive.
    Location: Upgraded version of the Ring of Spell Storing (see above). Both a Ring of Spell Storing and an Epic Ring of Spell Storing may be in your inventory.

Twisted Talisman
    Description: A necklace with three charges that give 50SP per charge and injures you for 25HP* per charge. Does not need to stay equipped. Both a Twisted Talisman and an Epic Twisted Talisman may be in your inventory. This item is Exclusive.

Epic Twisted Talisman
    Description: A necklace with five charges that give 50SP per charge and injures you for 25HP* per charge. Does not need to stay equipped. Both a Twisted Talisman and an Epic Twisted Talisman may be in your inventory. This item is Exclusive.
    Location: Upgraded version of the Twisted Talisman (see above).

Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II
    Description: Necklace that has a chance to return SP when you are injured in combat for at least 1HP. Does need to stay equipped. This item is Non-Exclusive but there is no reason to have more than one.
    Location: Possible chest reward for Zawabi's Revenge. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Epic Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II
    Description: Necklace that has a chance to return SP when you are injured in combat for at least 1HP. Does need to stay equipped. This item is Non-Exclusive but there is no reason to have more than one.
    Location: Upgraded version of the Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II (see above).

Concordant Opposition
    Description: Accessory and/or weapon crafted in the Shroud that has a 4% chance to return HP and SP when you are injured in combat for at least 1HP. Does need to stay equipped. This item is Non-Exclusive. There is no reason to have more than one accessory and two weapons.

Vile Blasphemy
    Description: Gloves that have three charges that give 2-12SP every 6 seconds for 1 minute. Does not need to stay equipped. This item is Non-Exclusive.
    Location: Possible chest reward for Ascension Chamber. May also be in 20th end reward list.

Xachosian Larva
    Description: Potion which gives 3SP per tick for 2 minutes for a total of 57SP gained. Consumed on use. Can create virtually unlimited number before questing. Destroyed on logout. Can be traded. This item is Non-Exclusive.
    Location: Various quests with dream sequences in the Inspired Quarter and the Dreaming Dark.

Toven's Hammer
    Description: Runearm that has a chance to return SP when you are injured in combat for at least 1HP. Does need to stay equipped. This item is Non-Exclusive but there is no reason to have more than one.
    Location: Possible end chest reward for The Master Artificer.

Six year old Cake
    Description: Birthday cake that every character created the day before Update 13 goes live will receive. Cake can be used to receive various rewards which include 25 Major Mnemonic Enhancement Potions (405-600SP) each, 100 Elixirs of Mnemonic Enhancement (105-145SP each) or one Ethereal Rest Shrine.
    Location: Cake will be placed in your inventory. All rewards described above are bound to character.

Turn-ins

Rest of the Eladrin statuette
    Description: Allows your own character to rest as if having used a rest shrine and receive all the benefits thereof. Your character will sit down and rest normally so this is not an item you can use during combat. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.
    Location: Turn in three Small Eberron Dragonshard Fragments to Giles Goodman.

Trinket of Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A trinket that has twenty charges of Major Mnemonic Enhancement. Does not need to stay equipped. Returns 105-600SP per charge. Consumed after all charges are used. This item is Exclusive.
    Location: Turn in three Medium Eberron Dragonshard Fragments to Davyd Turner.

Ethereal Rest Shrine
    Description: A rest shrine that can be used by the party and receive all the benefits thereof. Acts like a regular rest shine but can be placed anywhere within a quest or explorer zone. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.
    Location: Turn in three Large Eberron Dragonshard Fragments to Seld the Gray Sister.

Dal Quor Cake
    Description: Cake which gives 3SP per tick for 2 minutes for a total of 57SP gained. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Draught_of_Sparkling_Apple_Cider
    Description: A potion that recovers spellpoints during a 20 second duration. Returns 8-18SP per tick for 20 seconds. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Favor Rewards

Essence of Cunning
    Description: +2 stacking intelligence potion which gives 1SP per tick for 15 minutes for a total of 149SP gained. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Character Abilities

Spellsong Vigor
    Description: A song which will give any non-warforged caster spell points back over time. Cast by a 12th level or higher Spellsinger bard. Amount of SP returned depends on song length.

Various Bard Songs
    Description: Any song cast by a 12th level or higher Spellsinger bard has a chance to give anyone hearing the song a small burst of spell points. Ranges from 10 to 35SP are normal.

Divine Vitality
    Description: A Cleric ability to give spell points to another caster which consumes the use of a turn undead. Returns 3d4+10SP to 7d4+10SP depending on Cleric enhancements.

Echoes of Power
    Description: Echoes of power will appear when a player drops below 12 SP. Echoes of power will allow the player to regenerate at a rate of 4 SP every 6 seconds. Echoes of power will remove itself once a player reaches 12 SP or greater.
    Location: Echoes of Power requires the Magical Training feat. The Magical Training feat is granted to Artificers, Clerics, Druids, Favored Souls, Wizards, and Sorcerers at level 1.

Potions

Draught of Sparkling Apple Cider
    Description: A potion that recovers spellpoints during a 20 second duration. Returns 8-18SP per tick for 20 seconds. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Concentrated Elixir of Superior Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Major Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 605-800SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive. This is a store item found while questing.

Elixir of Major Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Major Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 105-600SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Elixir of Greater Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Greater Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 55-300SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Elixir of Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 25-145SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Elixir of Lesser Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Lesser Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 15-70SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Elixir of Minor Mnemonic Enhancement
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Minor Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 10-35SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Potion of Wonder
    Description: A potion with many different effects. Has a very small chance to return spell points. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Game Mechanics

Rest Shrine
    Description: A rest shrine that can be used by the party and receive all the benefits thereof. Depending on quest difficulty may or may not be reusable.

Inns and Taverns
    Description: Regenerates 1 HP + 5 SP per 6 seconds, or 2 HP + 8 SP if you have the Blessing of the Silver Flame permanent effect.

City Regeneration
    Description: Regenerates 1 HP + 5 SP per 6 seconds, or 2 HP + 8 SP if you have the Blessing of the Silver Flame permanent effect.
    Location: Any location in game that is not a quest, explorer area or tavern.

Tavern Drinks
    Description: Various drinks that may be purchased and consumed while in a tavern. Regenerates SP quickly. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

DDO Store Items

Best SP Potion
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Major Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 405-600SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Greater SP Potion
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Greater Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 205-300SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Medium SP Potion
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 105-145SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Light SP Potion
    Description: A potion that has one charge of Lesser Mnemonic Enhancement. Returns 52-70SP per charge. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Ethereal Rest Shrine
    Description: A rest shrine that can be used by the party and receive all the benefits thereof. Acts like a regular rest shine but can be placed anywhere within a quest or explorer zone. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Rest of the Eladrin statuette
    Description: Allows your own character to rest as if having used a rest shrine and receive all the benefits thereof. Your character will sit down and rest normally so this is not an item you can use during combat. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Supreme Siberys Spirit Cake
    Description: Cake that casts a True Resurrection spell on yourself (even when dead) or another character, returning the target to life wherever accepted with full hit points, AND also replenishes 405 to 600 spell points. Consumed on use. This item is Non-Exclusive.

Stacking

- Xachosian Larva and Dal Quor cakes do not stack with each other.
    - Power Drain and Yugoloth INT Pots do not stack. Power Drain runs for it's time and then the Yugo pot continues afterwards.
    - It has been reported that Toven's Hammer and the Torc both have a seperate chance to proc. (Unable to verify)
    - At this time it is known that one concordant opposition accessory and two concordant opposition weapons all have a chance to proc. Multiple accessories will not proc.
    - Most other items will stack with each other. I have tested Spellsong Vigor, a Dal Quor cake and Vile Blasphemy all together and received three ticks of spell points back at once.
    - The sparkling Apple Cider appears to suppress all other SP regeneration for it's duration. I was unable to test with Spellsong Vigor and Xachosian Larva/Dal Quor cakes.

Notes
    * While the description for the Twisted Talisman and the Epic Twisted Talisman state 25HP cost per charge, this amount is currently actually affected by dungeon scaling and wand and scroll mastery. You can receive more or less damage than actually stated.
    - Edited some descriptions to include consumed on use.
    - Edited to add DDO Store items and game mechanics.

Updated to add new items up to U16 and Epic Destinies

I like it - awesome guide dude!

Great way of showing people how they can avoid that unsightly lack of blue bar in quests.

Nice guide.

For reference, Conc-Opp was confirmed by the Devs a while back to have a 4% proc rate for the SP regen effect. (The HP regen proc is separate)

Torc is generally believed to have a 20% proc rate (no Dev confirmation). It returns a smaller number of SP per proc than Conc-Opp does, and never procs unless the damage is 1 or more.

The higher proc rate makes the Torc massively better than Conc-Opp (although, of course, the two combined are better still).
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Author of Info Blue UI Skin (Really wish Turbine would update the skinning interface and enable all the new UI parts.)
    If you don't have an SSD, you should be using DDOPreload (fixes the slow first login issue)

Nice collection mate, thank you!
    Ex-Keeper EUbie known as:
    Drenglis,...many more on 3 accounts ... forgot the rest!
    And yes... I'm a PROUD GREEN MUPPET and now a days a Dirty Monkey!... And now someone made me the guild leader

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know such a page existed on the wiki, but the wiki doesn't answer some questions that users may have such as exclusivity, stacking and exact number regenerated while using the cake/larva and some other items. This list also gives more details about the locations for the items than the wiki does.

minor nitpick(s) about the twisted talisman (and epic twisted talisman):

1) you should probably mention that they only recharge 1/rest, even though they have 3 or 5 charges respectively
    2) i have seen 13 damage and 33 damage from using them. i rarely see 25... in fact, i can't think of a time when i did see it offhand. but it definitely is not exactly 25 damage, it's something variable.

also, you forgot store mana potions, which grant a higher minimum value than the ones you can find. while using these is even less ideal than using regular mana potions, they do still need to be mentioned for a comprehensive guide.

PS: how about a SP cost reduction guide to go with it? ^^

The damage the Twisted Talisman does to you is affected by dungeon scaling. [Reference] That's why you notice the varying damage it deals.

It is also affected by wand/scroll mastery, which is why some characters experience more than 25 damage.

I'll mention it, but I didn't intend to get down to details about recharging items or bugs/flaws/drawbacks etc. If I did that the guide would be a whole lot bigger as Xachosian larva would need to detail the disease effect, and the recharge rates of other items.

However I did update a few items to note that they are consumed on use.

also, you forgot store mana potions, which grant a higher minimum value than the ones you can find. while using these is even less ideal than using regular mana potions, they do still need to be mentioned for a comprehensive guide.
    I didn't want to include Mnemonic Pots in the list at all, but in the end chose to add them. However I did specifically state that the list does not include ddo store items. I wanted it to include only in-game items. Perhaps I'll add the store items to the list today to make it more comprehensive.

I do plan on a SP reducing guide as well. That's going to be pretty extensive as there are lots of abilities and items, but I'll start on it.

One thing I've wondered about those turn-ins - are they single use items?
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    If you're talking about the trinket of mnemonic enhancement, it has 20 "charges" total. It also says this in the description in the first post.

As stated above, the Rest of the Eladrin statuette, Ethereal Rest Shrine and Dal Quor Cake are "consumed on use" which means they are one shot items. The Trinket of Mnemonic Enhancement has 20 charges and is consumed after all 20 charges are spent.

The Pure White Mage

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    I do plan on a SP reducing guide as well. That's going to be pretty extensive as there are lots of abilities and items, but I'll start on it.
    Here are some of them that I extracted from my personal guide as is. Maybe it can help.

SP cost reduction

Power Store (Staff of the Petitioner): -10% sp cost
    Turn the Page (Litany of The Dead): (-50% sp cost for 6 seconds)*3
    Lesser Heighten (Deific Diadem): (Free Heighten for 20 seconds) *5
    Lesser Maximize (Noxious Embers, Ornamented Dagger): (Free Maximize for 20 seconds) *5
    Spellsinger I: -10% sp cost
    Spellsinger II: Any time you finish playing a bard song, you now have a chance to restore a small number of spell points to all nearby allies. (Chance of spell points restoration based on Perform skill.) You now have the ability to expend a use of Bardic Music to grant yourself and all nearby allies a +1 morale bonus to caster level for all spells, or to apply a spell point regeneration effect to one target.
    Align the Heavens: -25% sp cost (duration?)

Efficient Metamagic - Maximize I: -2SP (Plume of Adherence-helm, Greater Cunning Trinket)
    Efficient Metamagic - Maximize II: -4SP (Arcane Shard-qs, Gloves of the Glacier, Ornamented Dagger)
    Efficient Metamagic - Empower I:
    Efficient Metamagic - Empower II: -2SP (Ring of Thelis, Skiver)
    Efficient Metamagic - Extend I: -1SP (Skiver)
    Efficient Metamagic - Extend II: -2SP (Gloves of the Glacier)
    Efficient Metamagic - Enlarge I: -1SP (Molb’s Fist, Noxious Embers-necky)
    Efficient Metamagic – Empower Healing I:
    Efficient Metamagic – Empower Healing II: -2SP (Epic Bejeweled Letter Opener, Lorrik’s Necklace)

Improved Empowering I/II/III: -2/-4/-6
    Improved Enlarge I/II/III: -1/-2/-4
    Improved Maximizing I/II/III: -3/-6/-9
    Improved Quickening I/II/III: -1/-2/-4
    Improved Heightening I/II: -1/-2

Master of Magic (Wizard Capstone): all metamagics you possess cost 1 fewer spell point to use. (Heighten Spell costs 1 fewer spell point per level of heightening.)
    Warchanter (ring and sash): maximize -4, extend -1 Stack?
    Virtuoso (ring and sash): extend -2 Stack?
    melanastere & Sweetveil of Carnage of Ghallanda

@ Mel : You neglect the Lesser Maximize on the new Epic Ornamental Dagger. Another thing to add to that list, as well as to your guide.

Warchanter and Viruoso set bonuses would stack with your enhancements. However, they would not stack with the Gloves of the Glacier, which takes up 1 less item slot for the same effect.

The Pure White Mage

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    @ Mel : You neglect the Lesser Maximize on the new Epic Ornamental Dagger. Another thing to add to that list, as well as to your guide.
    It's there

Quote Originally Posted by mel
    Lesser Maximize (Noxious Embers, Ornamented Dagger): (Free Maximize for 20 seconds) *5

EDIT: Ornamented Dagger is 3 times per rest and not 5 like with Noxious though. Has to be taken into account.
    Last edited by mel; 03-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    melanastere & Sweetveil of Carnage of Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    It's there

EDIT: Ornamented Dagger is 3 times per rest and not 5 like with Noxious though. Has to be taken into account.
    Hm. I stared twice before posting, and didn't see it. Either you ninja-edited on me before the "time limit" (respect da time limit, that's the most important), or I needed to look a third time, it seems.

Ah, well. Looking pretty good, either way.

I don't see divine vitality mentioned anywhere?

EDIT - I'm blind. move along.

EDIT2 - Good guide
    Last edited by sirdanile; 03-09-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast