Community Member

Default Best solo battle cleric build...

Hey Guys,

I'm a new to DDO F2P player and gathered that a battle cleric would be pretty much the best solo character given certain restrictions (no WF, no monk, no drow, no tweaked gear, etc.). Feel free to point me in a different direction if that is incorrect.

I'm now in search of the actual build to use. 1.) I tend to favor a melee style, but not necessary if a pure caster style is hands down much more powerful. 2.) I would also prefer human, but again if dwarf is by far the better race to play...I can be convinced. 3.) I think I'd like some kind of multi-class like Cl17/Fi2/Rg1 type or whatever...again if pure cleric 20 is definitely more powerful...so be it.

If possible a guide including play tips, when to take which feats, which spells to use, what gear to look for, etc. would be great. I'd prefer if the build was actually proven (like successfully soloed as much as is possible) as opposed to theory. I'm not concerned about innovating something myself...yet. I'm looking to get through as much content as possible solo and then decide what direction I want to go from there.

So...looking for powerful and easy to play...much more focus on the power level though.

Thanks guys, I really hope you can help. I'm getting excited to start playing.
    -Jed

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

If you're new to the game then I would suggest that you have a look at this thread and specifically this build, the Warpriest of Siberys.

It is probably exactly what you are looking for given the f2p constraints that you mention. 1 fighter gives important access to martial weapons and such things while not oversplashing which would dilute your offensive and healing too much.

Hands down, offensive casting is vastly superior to melee later in the game. Early in the game an offensive casting specced character can still melee effectively with appropriate buffs. The inverse, (melee spec casting late game) is not true. The above build has strong cast with solid melee thrown in which will be useful.

I'd suggest to go human but skip Two Handed Fighting. This feat is mostly useful only if you have the full chain of feats which is not a good idea on this build. I'd swap this feat for heighten which will make some of your low level spells useful again at high levels and give some of your best spells a good DC boost.

Soloing wise, I would suggest that a vastly superior option if you want to power level would be to make a casting specced cleric. A Font of Healing with some minor tweaks is a soloing god. Monk is very desirable for this but you can manage without.
    1. Stay pure.
    2. Human
    3. 18 starting wisdom plus all level ups, 14 constitution, 14 charisma, 10 intelligence, 10 strength.
    4. Skills: Concentration, UMD, Tumble (1), Balance (rest)
    5. Feats:
    Have before level 6: Maximise Spell, Empower Healing Spell, Empower Spell (awesome radiant servant bursts)
    Have before level 11: Quicken Spell, Extend Spell (awesome blade barriers)
    Have before level 20: Heighten Spell, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration (end game casting)
    Consequential example order: Extra Turning (swap to Quicken Spell at 11) (1), Human Bonus: Maximise Spell (1), Empower Spell (3), Empower Healing Spell (6), Extend Spell (9), Heighten Spell (12), Spell Penetration (15), Greater Spell Penetration (18).
    (Toughness is conspicuously missing from here but it really isn't a big deal, at level 20 if it is an issue swap empower spell for it. If you think you might do this then you'll have to not use your free feat swap for extra turning and use shards or just take Extend Spell at level 1 and Quicken Spell at level 9)

Soloing wise until you get to level 11 your main bread and butter will be undead heavy quests. If you only have access to f2p quests this perhaps isn't the build for you but there is probably enough undead quests to get you to level 11: Korthos quests, Recovering the Lost Tome, Rest for the Restless, The Chamber of Insanity, Mirra's Sleepless Nights, Dead Predators, The Graverobber, The Xorian Cipher (need hireling and guide to solo), The Path to Madness, Haunted Library, Faithful Departed, Caverns of Korromar, The Church and the Cult, Dreams of Insanity. Quite a few of these quests can be soloed at over 1000xp/minute even if you are totally new to the game, it will just take daring and practice.

Gear wise, try to track down items that grant uses of the buff that boosts a particular type of spell by 50% for 3 minutes. These actually give +75% but only these (1 minute or permanent ones don't). Look for Ardor (healing spells and radiant servant abilities) being the priority. After that look for Brilliance (searing light and nimbus of light), Benevolence (good related spells; deific vengeance, holy smite), something sound related, cacophony maybe? (sound burst). It's tricky to get the hang of using all of these items on top of the spells you've got to learn as well. However, with these items and feats you can happily run non-undead content with a maximise, empowered soundburst/nimbus of light/searing light/holy smite etc and squash everything! Just have to be careful with SP consumption. Priority is to run to the end, nuke the boss and recall before everything catches up with you, that is the power levelers way! Kobold's New Ringleader is an excellent candidate for such a strategy, try it slow on normal/casual first and figure out the quick path and then try again but run like the wind! (normal x7, hard, elite is a quite common strategy for this quest), just hold off dropping the sound burst until you get dungeon alert red to get maximum bang for your buck.

Good luck!

I would strongly advise you to group at the beginning. This is only so you learn grouping mechanisms, the LFG and the LFM windows and just quest layout. This isn't meant as a slight, just advice.

I solo often, but it's a good way to learn quest layout, gain some "friends" in game when you want to raid and learn.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Community Member

Thanks for the advice so far.

I definitely do want a "Solo god", but I don't necessarily need or want to power level. I want to be able to beat everything...all the content...or at least as much as is possible solo.

I'm not sure how you are getting those starting stats of 18 wis, 14 con, 14 cha, 10 str, 10 int. The Font of Healing you linked has 18 wis, 14 con, 12 cha, 10 str, 8 int

Also, the soloability by level on those links has all green for the Warpriest, but a lot of yellow, orange, and some red for the Font...I'm confused about you saying the Font is better...is it because of the slight modifications to that build?

It looks like no sword and board for me.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiewa View Post
    I would strongly advise you to group at the beginning. This is only so you learn grouping mechanisms, the LFG and the LFM windows and just quest layout. This isn't meant as a slight, just advice.

I solo often, but it's a good way to learn quest layout, gain some "friends" in game when you want to raid and learn.
    If learning grouping mechanisms is truly the only reason you advise to group...I can do that with a new build after I get a better feel for the game. Right now I feel like soloing. Also, nothing is preventing me from trying it out at some point with this guy either...it's just not how I want to "start".

Quote Originally Posted by Jedius View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far.

I definitely do want a "Solo god", but I don't necessarily need or want to power level. I want to be able to beat everything...all the content...or at least as much as is possible solo.

I'm not sure how you are getting those starting stats of 18 wis, 14 con, 14 cha, 10 str, 10 int. The Font of Healing you linked has 18 wis, 14 con, 12 cha, 10 str, 8 int

Also, the soloability by level on those links has all green for the Warpriest, but a lot of yellow, orange, and some red for the Font...I'm confused about you saying the Font is better...is it because of the slight modifications to that build?

It looks like no sword and board for me.
    If you want to be able to solo a majority of content then the build I detailed above is definitely the way to go. The stats I listed are for a 32 point build. If you only have 28 point builds then it will make it harder. 8 starting strength is a no brainer (just cast bulls strength/item/potion/divine power to avoid enfeeblement) but the other 2 points hurt more, I'd probably drop constitution as I have resources and time to make up the HP difference.

Until level 11 soloing with a cleric is harder. However, with lots of uses of turn undead you can breeze through undead heavy quests on the strength of turn undead and radiant servant burst. It is truly hilarious hitting radiant servant burst and seeing everything annihilated around you. Soloing other content is still possible if you stick to normal difficulties. Particularly level 1-4 quests a maximised, empowered sound burst will kill most mobs and a maximised, empowered nimbus of light or two will kill most bosses, careful to make sure you have some SP left.

The style of play that I'm referring to is something most people get to after quite a considerable amount of time in the game. For me it took 6 months or more. It is a product of quest knowledge (knowing what quests to hit, and how to run the shortest path), resources (twink baby!) and player skill. However, there is no reason you can't get straight into it. The information about which quests to do is readily available, just search for Diaries of a True Reincarnate (there is videos of all the quests done quickly) or look at what quests Star uses to get to 20.

This is a fantastic idea for you, much of the game starts at 20 and if you have a character there then you can fund further characters that you make which'll make the whole experience much nicer.

Don't expect it to be easy though You will have to learn very quickly to manage a limited SP pool. You'll have to know what spells to take into what quest (usually by running it on casual or normal slowish to see what's in there). You'll have to learn when to turn metamagics on and off and how to do it quickly and efficiently. You'll have to learn fighting, healing and casting all at once (even with 8 strength if you cast all the buffs and equip a sword and shield or quarterstaff you'll still kill things ok from levels 1-4, 5 and 6'll be slower, level 7 you get a boost again with divine power which is a huge boost). You'll have to learn to make money on the AH or forums (if you are f2p and can only post 1 thing at a time on the AH). Possibly if you collect enough siberys shards you can make 2 feat swaps ; take martial weapon proficiency at 1 (to use the greataxe out of korthos), swap it to extra turning before leveling to 5, swap to Quicken Spell at 11, or skip extra turning all together (possibly this is the better option but from level 6 to 11 radiant servant bursts will be much better than martial weapon proficiency, imo).

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Korthos quests, Recovering the Lost Tome*, Rest for the Restless, The Chamber of Insanity*, Mirra's Sleepless Nights*, Dead Predators*, The Graverobber, The Xorian Cipher (need hireling and guide to solo)*, The Path to Madness*, Haunted Library, Faithful Departed, Caverns of Korromar, The Church and the Cult, Dreams of Insanity. Quite a few of these quests can be soloed at over 1000xp/minute even if you are totally new to the game, it will just take daring and practice.
    The asterisked quests are definitely ones you should look at and try to do.

Edit: brain burped and didn't do my colours right on asterisks, got rid of the clutter on them and left them black
    Last edited by wax_on_wax_off; 03-05-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Just to make it clear, the Warpriest build linked above is actually a decent offensive spellcaster too, so you can use it to solo with spells as well at higher level. Overall it's a better solo build IMO than a caster-only cleric, because it's more versatile.

go,

2 monk /18 clr
    Race- halfling or elf dex base with hand wraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    No one that throws together a bunch of numbers and calls it fact is going to give you and real accurate answer, there's too many variables and it's all biased towards there own personal outlooks on how it should be, not how it is. Numbers are too easy to manipulate.
    So sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Just to make it clear, the Warpriest build linked above is actually a decent offensive spellcaster too, so you can use it to solo with spells as well at higher level. Overall it's a better solo build IMO than a caster-only cleric, because it's more versatile.
    It's more newbie friendly too.

OP, watch out for long time players jumping into the new player forums giving advice that they'd give themselves (e.g., if you know exactly how many mobs are between you and the next shrine for every quest, exactly what their vulnerabilities are, and exactly what tactics to use, then XYZ build is an uber soloer much better than ABC build -- totally true for them, but not necessarily true for you!).

When in doubt listen to Tihocan.

if you must solo, splash 2 levels of rogue. you will need that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I can't decide if this works better as a portmanteau of "human" and "moron," or as an eternally smiling alien from the planet Humor. Maybe both?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTurtle View Post
    It's more newbie friendly too.

OP, watch out for long time players jumping into the new player forums giving advice that they'd give themselves (e.g., if you know exactly how many mobs are between you and the next shrine for every quest, exactly what their vulnerabilities are, and exactly what tactics to use, then XYZ build is an uber soloer much better than ABC build -- totally true for them, but not necessarily true for you!).

When in doubt listen to Tihocan.
    This is true, hence the qualifications on the advice. Still, I wanted to give as correct an answer as possible. There isn't any reason a totally new player couldn't jump into such a XYZ build if they were ambitious enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Yeah, I mentioned this straight up in my first few lines describing it as the build that would perfectly fit his needs. However, he referred to best possible solo build and looking to level quickly and the full offensive caster will give faster leveling through all levels.

Community Member

I plan to start a warpriest soon...either tonight yet, or tomorrow.

I know in Lord of the Rings Online you can acquire points to use in the turbine store...is there something like that in DDO? Are they just rewarded for doing quests and stuff, or is the only way to get them to make a cash purchase?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Edit: I started tonight.

Which weapon am I supposed to take from Cellimus for the Warpriest build? I know I'm supposed to eventually be using a two handed weapon, but as of right now I'm not proficient with it...so do I take the Ember Great Axe knowing I'll be leveling fairly soon, or the Ember Heavy Mace because it won't be as soon as I think and there will be other opportunities later for a 2-hander?

Also, is there a way to look at your character from the front? I'd like to see what my face looks like some times.
    Last edited by Jedius; 03-07-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jedius View Post
    (no WF, no monk, no drow, no tweaked gear, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo View Post
    2 monk /18 clr

I'll just push out my own battle cleric builds in my sig. Based off tihocan's Warpriest and similar builds, but with a 2nd ftr lvl. I decided than an extra feat and +1 STR enh was more useful to a battle cleric than cleric 19. While hitting cleric 18 leaves Radiant Servant III an option, if & when it gets added. The first build is probably what you want: human, mostly caster-focused, but with enough STR and the 2 most important DPS feats (PA & Imp Crit) to do decent melee DPS with 2H weapons. If you're lucky enough to pull a Carnifex from Delera's, that'll be your best choice against crittable mobs for a long time; but if not, you just use whatever are the best 2H weapons you can find.