Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 181
  1. #41
    Uber Completionist Lithic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edragoon148 View Post
    Ooh, and before I forget, when you zerg Ghost of a Chance do you solve the puzzle for mucho xp, and if so could you provide a link to teach me an expedient tactic for pulling this off? :-) (Pretty sure Mr. Cow had one on his Diaries, but maybe you have your own method).

    v/r

    Iraelis
    I don't have a link or a map or anything to Ghost of a Chance, though there might be one on the DDOwiki, or if you do an image search for ghost of a chancce on google. I learned this one when it came out. I went in there solo with Star (who was a lvl 9 rogue at the time on a first life) and spent 15mins figuring it out. Since a rogue can search out the trapped runes, and there is only 1 path to link them all, once you know it the puzzle is a heck of a lot simpler than it looks.

    As an aside to another poster, I do all new content solo, and slowly when it comes out, usually all of N/H/E so I can see it all, explore it completely, and experience the quest as it was meant to and the differences between difficulties. I've got a good enough memory that after 3 runs quests leave few surprises and unless I think they have potential to be added for their xp/min, I'll probably not go back very often. On my last life I do plan to do every quest on elite as I level up so I can knock out the favor at the same time. You might be interested to know that before TRing came along, I did literally do every quest N/H/E on star at the appropriate levels, including all the raids. I think I had a very few left to do, mostly raids since rare is the group that does those on anything but normal.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

  2. #42
    Community Member edragoon148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    196

    Default lol

    Helps to do the research before asking dumb questions ^.^ the wiki got updated with a well laid out solution for Ghost of a Chance -> http://ddowiki.com/page/File:Ghost-chance_puzzle.jpg here's an excellent opportunity for me (and others) to get it memorized :-)

    Appreciate the feedback Star.
    Iraelis - Clanggedin - Ayailla - EZBake - Doktr - Memmnor - Zinzerena - Facepalmm
    Capstone Completionist in the Making - Currently on Life 7.
    ~Have Fun. Get Loot. Work as a Team.~

  3. #43
    Community Member Thucydides04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, KY
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edragoon148 View Post
    Star,

    I'm glad you posted this, as I'm pushing for completionist myself and often refer to some of your work and tactics when implementing my process. I TR'd to my current life 1 Week and 1 Day ago and the quest history is linked below. Currently level 17, pushing for 20 in under 2 weeks, but RL dictates that a bit >.<

    I know you're a busy guy, but feel free to critique it if you have the time. Some of it was definitely short of the 1k/min ratio, but some of the payoffs (items & favor rewards) were helpful. Additionally, most if it was done solo or backpacking people's stones as I didn't have a static group (members of my planned group had internet & power outage issues the night I TR'd).

    http://www.holw.mmoguildsites.com/forum_threads/772302

    Again, definitely appreciate the wisdom you put forth on here and look forward to further updates.

    Ooh, and before I forget, when you zerg Ghost of a Chance do you solve the puzzle for mucho xp, and if so could you provide a link to teach me an expedient tactic for pulling this off? :-) (Pretty sure Mr. Cow had one on his Diaries, but maybe you have your own method).

    v/r

    Iraelis
    I think you might have some problems getting to cap this life. It looks like you are not holding levels and running some of the content a bit too soon. I follow basically the same quest pattern as Star with a few differences here and there due to taste.

    The big issue with a TR2 is that so much xp is required to get from 18-20 (roughly 25%) and there is not much content to run that offers good xp/min in that range.

    When running through a life, use level 12 with enough xp to take level 13 as a baseline. Once I have enough xp (1.438 mil) to take 13 I farm Shadow Crypt. This method ensures that I will have enough good xp/min quests to get to cap at the levels that really count. Notice that between 13 and 20 yopu need to accumulate nearly 3 million xp to cap so pushing quests back as far as possible can make the job a bit easier during the last levels. Every life I have never had a problem getting to cap and most lives I can cap in Reaver's Reach using thjis method. Just my 2cp.
    Wyclef
    AoK

  4. #44
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    There are some pretty nice gems in here, but i have been following it so far as a soloist and am having trouble keeping up the exp per min in certain quests. As an effect, I have ended up skipping a few optionals here and there to make up for it and ended up short on getting my lvl. I have added a few other quests in here that I'm surprised aren't on your list (durks got a secret, butcher's path) that are very good exp per min, even for soloists.

    There are a few other gems in the mid-lvls I am surprised you skip as well. CO6, while a pain to flag for it, is extremely good exp. other than part 1, every other part can be two-maned in less than 2 minutes making for over a 1k exp per min ratio all the way to the 11th run on each part.

    I am also surprised you don't have fathom the depths on your list either. with a caster that invis's through most of it and ddoor's at the switch, you can do it on elite in roughly 2 mins which nets you around 4k+ exp per min ratio, and is well worth milking out on normal too.

    I know that there are *many* ways to level in this game, But for those who are looking at this guide for multiple TR's I would look at those quests I mentioned as well to help boost your leveling efficiency a bit - especially if your like me and don't have access to a static group of friends to level with.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  5. #45
    Founder Osharan_Tregarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    fresno, ca
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    There are some pretty nice gems in here, but i have been following it so far as a soloist and am having trouble keeping up the exp per min in certain quests. As an effect, I have ended up skipping a few optionals here and there to make up for it and ended up short on getting my lvl. I have added a few other quests in here that I'm surprised aren't on your list (durks got a secret, butcher's path) that are very good exp per min, even for soloists.

    There are a few other gems in the mid-lvls I am surprised you skip as well. CO6, while a pain to flag for it, is extremely good exp. other than part 1, every other part can be two-maned in less than 2 minutes making for over a 1k exp per min ratio all the way to the 11th run on each part.

    I am also surprised you don't have fathom the depths on your list either. with a caster that invis's through most of it and ddoor's at the switch, you can do it on elite in roughly 2 mins which nets you around 4k+ exp per min ratio, and is well worth milking out on normal too.

    I know that there are *many* ways to level in this game, But for those who are looking at this guide for multiple TR's I would look at those quests I mentioned as well to help boost your leveling efficiency a bit - especially if your like me and don't have access to a static group of friends to level with.
    I generally run co6 and fathoms on my tr's, but there isn't any real need to other than to break up the monotony. The big xp quests in this range have so much xp, that those quests don't really make a difference. It's only at the level 13+ quests that I really start to pay attention to what quests I'm running at what level.
    Osharan, Esharan, Osharina, Usharina, etc... I'm the 'sharans. Epoxy. Notverysexy.
    I've taken the craft disturbing mental image feat... You have been warned!
    Share and Enjoy!

  6. #46
    Uber Completionist Lithic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    7,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    There are some pretty nice gems in here, but i have been following it so far as a soloist and am having trouble keeping up the exp per min in certain quests. As an effect, I have ended up skipping a few optionals here and there to make up for it and ended up short on getting my lvl. I have added a few other quests in here that I'm surprised aren't on your list (durks got a secret, butcher's path) that are very good exp per min, even for soloists.

    There are a few other gems in the mid-lvls I am surprised you skip as well. CO6, while a pain to flag for it, is extremely good exp. other than part 1, every other part can be two-maned in less than 2 minutes making for over a 1k exp per min ratio all the way to the 11th run on each part.

    I am also surprised you don't have fathom the depths on your list either. with a caster that invis's through most of it and ddoor's at the switch, you can do it on elite in roughly 2 mins which nets you around 4k+ exp per min ratio, and is well worth milking out on normal too.

    I know that there are *many* ways to level in this game, But for those who are looking at this guide for multiple TR's I would look at those quests I mentioned as well to help boost your leveling efficiency a bit - especially if your like me and don't have access to a static group of friends to level with.
    Durks and butchers path can't really compete xp/min wise with new ringleader (which is all we use to get to 3), nor with WW pt 2-3 (which is pretty much all we use to get to 5).

    CO6 2, 4, 5, 6 are all great exp/min, but require long walks and one of my group absolutely hates the series, so we skip it even though I have characters on those steps so we don't even need to do them in order, or worry about holding the door. If you aren't holding the door, the travel time ruins the xp/min ratios.

    Fathom the depths is nice, but our group hasn't had Ddoor on anyone for a few lives (my dual box caster account doesnt own that pack), and it isn't really worth wasting the few scrolls we have. VON3 at lvl 10, and shadowknight elite at lvl 11 are at least as good xp/min in my experience. Next time im a sorc or wizard I'll probably check it out.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

  7. #47
    Community Member edragoon148's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thucydides04 View Post
    I think you might have some problems getting to cap this life. It looks like you are not holding levels and running some of the content a bit too soon. I follow basically the same quest pattern as Star with a few differences here and there due to taste.

    The big issue with a TR2 is that so much xp is required to get from 18-20 (roughly 25%) and there is not much content to run that offers good xp/min in that range.
    Believe me, I agree entirely :-) I can already see that issue taking shape and have noted it for next life. I have a few quests and difficulty changes to toss in that should remedy the problem.
    Iraelis - Clanggedin - Ayailla - EZBake - Doktr - Memmnor - Zinzerena - Facepalmm
    Capstone Completionist in the Making - Currently on Life 7.
    ~Have Fun. Get Loot. Work as a Team.~

  8. #48
    Community Member Wizzly_Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    Durks and butchers path can't really compete xp/min wise with new ringleader (which is all we use to get to 3), nor with WW pt 2-3 (which is pretty much all we use to get to 5).

    CO6 2, 4, 5, 6 are all great exp/min, but require long walks and one of my group absolutely hates the series, so we skip it even though I have characters on those steps so we don't even need to do them in order, or worry about holding the door. If you aren't holding the door, the travel time ruins the xp/min ratios.

    Fathom the depths is nice, but our group hasn't had Ddoor on anyone for a few lives (my dual box caster account doesnt own that pack), and it isn't really worth wasting the few scrolls we have. VON3 at lvl 10, and shadowknight elite at lvl 11 are at least as good xp/min in my experience. Next time im a sorc or wizard I'll probably check it out.
    If doing as a group don't need dd. One person with invis goes down, rest complete after lever. Rinse n repeat.

  9. #49
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    Durks and butchers path can't really compete xp/min wise with new ringleader (which is all we use to get to 3), nor with WW pt 2-3 (which is pretty much all we use to get to 5).
    durks can. With an invis clickie I can solo it in roughly 1 minute, it can be done in 30 seconds or so with two people splitting up and killing the brothers at the same time. quest is worth over 1k exp/min, which is valuable at that level range for soloists at least. I'm sure with your group it's pretty easy to overlook it with the pace you can push with other quests in this range.

    What I ended up doing was soloing waterworks without optionals to make it valuable exp per min wise, and added durks at the level 4 mark (farmed durks on hard).

    as for co6 I milk the series about level 12 range on elite. that combined with shadowcrypt propels you to 14 fairly easily. Otherwise, from the desert on it is a fairly straightforward path for everyone. just a matter of how hard you have to milk everything depending on how well you milked these mid-ranged quests.
    Last edited by protokon; 04-01-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    durks can. With an invis clickie I can solo it in roughly 1 minute, it can be done in 30 seconds or so with two people splitting up and killing the brothers at the same time. quest is worth over 1k exp/min, which is valuable at that level range for soloists at least. I'm sure with your group it's pretty easy to overlook it with the pace you can push with other quests in this range.
    FRAPS + YouTube this. NOW.

    (It’s not that I don’t believe you. I’m just always willing to “borrow” other peoples techniques. ;^) )
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

  11. #51
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    FRAPS + YouTube this. NOW.

    (It’s not that I don’t believe you. I’m just always willing to “borrow” other peoples techniques. ;^) )
    well no need to re-invent the wheel. here is a youtube link of MrCow soloing it in 1:34.

    granted that's not quite a minute, but it still achieves over 1k exp per minute solo.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwgvAmn13k
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  12. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    well no need to re-invent the wheel. here is a youtube link of MrCow soloing it in 1:34.

    granted that's not quite a minute, but it still achieves over 1k exp per minute solo.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwgvAmn13k
    That’s one of his “Not high enough rez for VHS quality” vids. We need more.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

  13. #53
    Community Member megathon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    289

    Default

    This is also taking in to consideration that you have to be VIP to unlock elites?

  14. #54
    Community Member Relenthe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megathon View Post
    This is also taking in to consideration that you have to be VIP to unlock elites?
    You need to be vip to unlock hards. he or one of his partners has an alt to open elites on the first run

  15. #55
    Community Member Kits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relenthe View Post
    You need to be vip to unlock hards. he or one of his partners has an alt to open elites on the first run

    Actually they changed this a couple updates ago: now a VIP can open any quest on elite too.

  16. #56
    Community Member Feralthyrtiaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,306

    Default Nice Strat

    Nice, high XP per min. Depending on your game goals it's good especially if you have several lives planned out. Just TRd my first toon February 2011. Currently April 2011 sitting at 18 and a couple ranks as Shintao Monk 3. VIP so opened adventure compedium and ran every quest on elite once with a handfull of exceptions. Havn't banked any XP and the only farming I've done is in CC which netted about 1 rank at lvl 13 and 2 ranks at lvl 17. Also, havn't drank ANY Xp pots. Have done everything level 14 and below once (and a handful of case twice) on elite with these exceptions... Devils Assault Elite (not done), Inferno of Damned (Hard), Shrieking Mines (Hard), DQ1/2 (not done), Tor (normal). Have done New Invasion, and Genesis Point on Normal. Havn't done more than 400 or 750 slayers in any zone and havnt done ANY vale quests or IQ quests. With the upcoming U9 adding lvl 15 to 18 quests there is plenty of XP in the game left for me. Farming is for some people and they prefer it, but not absolutley required of a character that's TRd. This method takes patience and granted Xhiron is in the MAC guild with large ship buffs and good players for groups which helps ALOT. But I've seem Most of what the game has to offer GOOD XP and BAD and am sitting at 2700+/5000 total favor. BUT after a few lives on a several toons....may be a farmer yet.

  17. #57
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Hey Star,

    So I have been following your guide loosely this life and for the most part am enjoying it (substituted a few of those quests for some that are a bit more solo-friendly to keep my exp per min good). I have a question on holding levels for ya:

    at what point do you start holding levels, if you do at all? I personally have tried to just level til greensteel and hold from that point forward, but am starting to wonder if it really is that difficult to just level as you go. Just curious to your strategy on that one, thanks.

    -proto
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  18. #58
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    112

    Default hi

    well I can see that there is a lot of awesome ppl here so i m just gonna ask [awesome guide btw:]

    I m f2p & I ve been wondering what pack should I have to cap a 36pt build ?

    [I have Phiarlan Carnival,The Vault of Night,The Restless Isles-for the raid loot,Ruins of Gianthold,The Vale of Twilight , The Reaver's Reach,The Path of Inspiration & 50 TP short of The Devils of Shavarath ;I plan on buying all of the epic packs (but only sands before I TR)-will that +10 exp pots do?]

    P.S.
    I dont really care about the exp/min ration & I dont mind running any quests any number of times ;but I ll prolly TR alone so gonna solo a lot.

    thx for help
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
    Sure if you do all that you may end up with a 5% or 10% DPS increase over someone else who has "only" spent a couple of hundred hours getting "good enough" gear, but whether or not the large amount of time spent grinding for a marginal increase in DPS is worthwhile is questionable.

  19. #59
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    The toughest part of a 36 point build is lvls 17-20, where the exp grind is nearly 2 million exp. Two packs I would highly recommend adding on for a bit more flexibility is necro IV and the attack on stormreach chain (there are a few quests in there that are extremely fun + great exp).
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  20. #60
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default

    You've mentioned doing litany's back end, is there a specific one you grind out? Do you do 3 of each, or something else?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload