Default whats youredm style?

you dont need to have been one just tell us how you would be if you where

i have many easy to make mistakes have a punishment like the caves are covered in dry rough moss (then they cast a fire/ water spell and it explodes or grow and kills you then when it dies the life granting energy it had rezes them with only equipment damage(or grants them a lvl if they heal it)

Community Member

I personally like the 2 side method as I will call it.

Main town is upright and moral, church, and all that stuff.

While underground, if you know the path and are any non-good (Circle of Protection Good up on entrances) can enter the Underground, Black market/ Thieves/ Brothels/ ect. :P

I'm the kind that lets my players relax and get sloppy before I slam them with stuff like rust monsters, illusory treasure at the bottom of a really deep pit filled with water and nasties, etc.

Community Member

Give the players the basic background for the area they are in and send them off to find their own adventures. I usually have 5 or 6 rough outlines at the start of a campaign and I let the players decide which 'hook' they want to nibble at. Then I set about having fun and ruining their day. Not necessarily in that order

I am definitely an "Enough rope to hang themselves and get paid for it" sort of DM.

I like to have multiple storylines available and see where the players want to go and how they want to get there. I then tweak storylines and NPCs in reponse.

I basically play a handful of characters with and against the group in order to get the players to develop their characters and grow into the story.

Unless the group wants to go all dice heavy... not my thing.
    SARLONA
    Ulyn-22 Halfling (7rog/7pal/6mnk/2epic) Alyn-19 Helf TR2 (13dru/6mnk/1rng) Glyn-20 Halfling Cleric
    Ylyn-20 Drow (18brd/2ftr/2rog) Klyn-12 WF Wizard

Community Member hityawithastick's Avatar

I want to do an urban campaign. Set up the city rules, get some NPCs written up, and then have several plots unfold simultaneously around the party. The more they keep their eyes open and think ahead, the more bad things they'll be able to stop...and the less likely it is that they'll walk right into a trap.

The upside is the campaign would be really fluid, and respond to every change the PCs made. The downside is it requires me to actually think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Dragons cant be vorped.
    Wait! Where are you going? Come back here and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcTharin View Post
    Hityawithastick, the super-naked dragon-slayer.

Community Member

I was a mix of make it myself, modify some premade, and keep some campaign sources on hand to be ready to free form improv as needed. Be ready to let the party divide up, or even start divided and unkown to each other. If well done you can even have them end up encountering each other without quite relizing its leading up to it.

Once I had one player session end with him about to make his assassination attempt on a contract. Another player I ran had stop for a session beinga hired guard to a noble who was in fear of being assassinated. The next session they where both primed and ready for action, only to find themselves rolling dice against each other. How that all turned out is much to long a tale to get into but needless to say they survived and where fast friends with great respect for each others fighting abilities.

Its all about the dilemma, and since many characters will have conflicting interests, these are not usually hard to come by, heh.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.