Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Crystal Cove 200 Crystals [General Guide/Tips]

Edit: Originally posted after preview event on Tuesday
    Edit: I am too lazy to update this/or I dont wish to quote everyone who has contributed to this guide (i.e. read post replies)
    Edit: Zistra has made a list of additional information found here How to maximize your Crystal Cove runs

Hi guys, So the Smugglers event preview just came to a close. And im sure we all ran Crystal cove a few times (for those who participated. And we all noticed how many Crystals is required to upgrade those sweet items we all want.

Firstly, for the Crystal Cove instance to open, Enough Treasure maps have to be handed in. Secondly, in order to enter the instance, you need to have a compass, which can be obtained by killing pirates around the area, buying it off DDO Store, or trading in doubloons for it (recommended, trade in your gems for doubloons, you get alot of them)

Im not sure how good people are with thier torch duties (since I did it for all 7 runs I had, getting better each time). So I'd like to help out in getting 200 Crystals in the instance. I myself have done two 200 crystals, nothing special happens, timer keeps going, kobolds do nothing.

So here is my general run down of the instance:

First you need a party, you want them because they kill stuff, and you dont. So its totally cool if your absolutely useless at combat (not really, you enter swarms of enemies if party did not clear up). This way, you can focus on torch duty, and get those crystals effectively.

When starting, I'd like to buy a teleporter first (you want two in the end), and just hop down and put it down for faster kobold expedition in the initial state. Then buy all kobolds, barrels, torches, teleporter (all you need for 200 crystals). You want to do the south cave first.

You also need to be fammiliar with the map (or parts of), especially where purple crystals are likely to spawn.
    Below is a general map rundown of where i go. (curtesy of M crystal cove.png by Mjoll from ddo wiki, I forgot to make one myself...)

First thing you want to do clear south cave (barrels delay kobolds when they upgrade, you only need a few torches to start). Then go pick a route you like. I like going South, then West, then East-North, and then East-South.

The image gives a vague idea of where to go. You want to hit the quota at around 13 min left. This leaves 13 min for 200 shards... doesnt seem much does it?

Also, important point. Always, ALWAYS go for Purple Crystals. If a route has no purples, it is worth the risk to ditch it and go to the next one.

Learn to use torches effectively. You want to feel the balance between how far they can go, and how far kobolds can see shinies. I feel that if a torch is high/low it seeminly extends the range (or just the slope makes it look further).

Also, some Crystals are bugged. This may or may not be fixed, but there were crystals that kobolds ignored. Its fustrating if they are a pile of purple too.

Oh, about the routes, South contains your basic several greens, 1-2 purple. You clear this out because its close and you dont have to worry about it, while your party clears east/west.

West area doesnt contain that much crystals (or i get confused with east), untill you hit a long way. There should be several purples around here, and you should reach your quota at this point. You want to ditch this area if there is no purple and if there is 8-9 min left.

East area is much better, especially south. IF YOU CAN REACH IT. the southern bit is your crystal mine, full of shiny purples to get (ive seen a kobold with 5 purples on his back). It is very important to use the torches at its maximal efficiency. If not... then spend 3 poinst for a healing torch....

East north is also quite good, there are usually lots of greens, and sometimes purple (my last run had no purple but still managed 200). Whichever route you take, you should arrive at a nice 200, with minutes to spare... If there are los of purples...

Now get out there and get us some shinies

Edit: Ive completed Crystal Cove 9 times, so after the 5th, I knew what I was doing, hitting 200 by the end of it.
    Last edited by Natean; 02-26-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

I would like to add that kobolds are educated in using dimensional doors, which may be hadny sometimes

Crystal placement (type) is supposed to be random, or so the devs said.

Community Member

I agree.. east seemed to have alot of shineys
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Because of experience, +1 DC to tactics, +10 HP, 5% healing amp or something else? Past lives are weak and should be the last thing you pursue if you care at all about real power.

Default Random

Quote Originally Posted by Delt View Post
    Crystal placement (type) is supposed to be random, or so the devs said.
    We completed perhaps 6-7 runs during the preview event and each time the crystal placement was different. Having a map like this would be useless.

It's obviously not completely random -- the south cave right near the start always has seven or eight green crystals and one or two purples to get you started, for example. And there seem to be other trends, like small clusters of green in both the east and west side tunnels from the main cavern before they branch out (never seen purples there).

On the other hand, I haven't noticed the east or the west side consistently having a better crystal density. There's definitely a lot of random variation. But I don't think we should try to claim that it's "completely" random.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Well, I would say that the three paths I have listed provide enough diversity to have an averageish amount of purple crystals. East side genearlly has more purples, with more density the further you are from the entrance. The paths listed also contain quite some amount of green crystals, I have run this enough times to feel that this is a pretty good pathing. I do agree that purples are somewhat random, if not, they explode (possibly by impact of sorts?). But I have done this a few times enough to get up to 200 crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    We completed perhaps 6-7 runs during the preview event and each time the crystal placement was different. Having a map like this would be useless.
    Nothing is useless.
    Callissto:RS~Calithallasi:Fowl~Merb:RS~GearsofWar: Shiradi~Durperian:Necro~Aritahl:Figher~Jeatt:Shint ao~Mzil:Machine Gunner

Quote Originally Posted by walkingwolfmike View Post
    Nothing is useless.
    this one is just use impaired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I can't decide if this works better as a portmanteau of "human" and "moron," or as an eternally smiling alien from the planet Humor. Maybe both?

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    I would like to add that kobolds are educated in using dimensional doors, which may be hadny sometimes
    Very good to know...if it is true :P
    Englorious Basteurds - There the only ones who can put up with me.

Thank you for posting this, I have learned a lot just from glazing the tidbits.

As for useless, no, it's not useless, but if there is a random element, maybe the map can be adjusted on a speed vs. relative need basis?

It sounds like he made enough runs to gather a small sample of what crystals drop where and how many, this might be enough to adjust the map routes according to speed and gain.

Thanks again for all of the input!
    Shaamis is REBORN!

Stronger!Faster! DRUNKER THAN EVER!!!

That map is the same general route we used yesterday. Yeah there's randomness to where clusters of purples gems will be, but not that much really. It's a pretty good path to reference, using it should yield max gems or close to it.

I ran around in the public area but never did the Crystal Cove event. However, thank you for your post, as I found out early that, as usual, DDO developers take two steps backward for every step forward.

Right after they make all puzzle wheels accessible to colorblind people, they turn around and make a new event in which the color coding of the crystals determines how well you do? Just wonderful.

Idiots.

I didn't get to run the Cove last night since, in the short time I was able to play, I never got a compass. But I'm curious, you said that you dealt with the south cave first while the party cleared east and west. Do the mobs in the cave not respawn randomly so that once a route is clear it stays clear? Thanks.
    Antello - Kinisar - Erifeci
    Antelli - Antelly - Antellia

The Rogue Saints - Sarlona
    www.theroguesaints.com

Purples are worth more than Greens?

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Original View Post
    Very good to know...if it is true :P
    If ya don't bellive just wait until event returns, cast DDoor, and watch kobold with crystal enter it.
    Yeah, I wash shocked to

Quote Originally Posted by chadj82371 View Post
    I didn't get to run the Cove last night since, in the short time I was able to play, I never got a compass. But I'm curious, you said that you dealt with the south cave first while the party cleared east and west. Do the mobs in the cave not respawn randomly so that once a route is clear it stays clear? Thanks.
    There are static groups of mobs that need to be cleaned out, as well as random spawns of undead, hobgoblins, and red-names. The spawns can happen right near the bottom of the entry ramp or down the passages.
    Thelanis: Mithran, Mithrana, Aggrond, Arcanned, Ainadan, and others

Quote Originally Posted by Gol View Post
    Purples are worth more than Greens?
    Much more, I think its about 10 times more (i.e. 10). This way, its always good to ditch a line and go for purples if there arnt any.

Quote Originally Posted by Natean View Post
    Much more, I think its about 10 times more (i.e. 10). This way, its always good to ditch a line and go for purples if there arnt any.
    And to think we were hitting 200 bonus crystals with green only.... LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Barazon View Post
    Right after they make all puzzle wheels accessible to colorblind people, they turn around and make a new event in which the color coding of the crystals determines how well you do? Just wonderful.
    fair enough, but please go bug report it, maybe they are on time to do something about it for u9.
    it took a lot of that to get them to change the reavers puzzle, for example. won't hurt to remind them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast