Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Building An End Game Pale Master

I was going to write this up a while ago but was holding off for spell change info and such but it looks like update 9 is still a bit off so I've decided to put it up now.

I play a pale master and love it. It takes a bit more gear than an archmage to work but once done it makes for a very high dc caster that is near indestructible. Many people ask me about my build which I will give later on but I am just going to go over some of the basics in building and designing your pale master with end game/epic content in mind.

Item's in the guide in red are ones that are new or heavily edited for U9 changes.

RACE

This will be one of your biggest decisions in your build. Most other build choices are similar no matter what race you choose so this is the biggest chance to differentiate yourself.

Here are my thoughts on the different races:

Drow--This is your highest dc available pale master. The extra starting int points put it ahead of any other attainable int score by at least 1. It is also your lowest hit point class. Starting with a 2 point lower con and only 28 build points (30 or 32 after tr's) means you will only be able to max both int and con after tr'ing twice and then you'll still only have a 16 starting con. Another benefit of drow is their racial enhancements are pretty weak meaning you have plenty of ap to go towards wizard stuff for which theres plenty to take.

Human--Compared to drow the human gets 2 more starting con, 4 more build points, one extra feat. It falls below max int possible by just one due to the human adaptability feature. Pale master requires all three wizard int enhancements so whenever your gear set puts you at an even number you can drop this for 4 more ap. This is a nice advantage over drow. A really strong choice.

Half-elf--Basically a human but without the extra feat. None of the dilletante feats and ap really give that much benefit to a pale master although cleric could be taken instead of using umd but that requires putting build points into wisdom instead of something else more worthwhile and spending a lot of ap that could better be spent elsewhere.

Warforged--Generally people go warforged on a wizard for the immunites, self healing, and extra hitpoints. Every immunity you have as a wf you have as a pale master except flesh to stone. You gain immunity to stun, dance, and command. Self healing is moot for a pale master so really the only reason to go warforged is for the hit points. With +4 con from lich form and a yugo pot active you have more than enough hit points for anything on any race really. Access to robes versus docents means access to some valuable items like regalia of the pheonix, epic robe of fire, and if we ever get high level lightning spells epic ironweave. I think WF is a poor choice for the pale master if your really worried about the hitpoints you could go dwarf and achieve the same thing and better saves (I still don't recommend this).

Elf--Currently elf is a poor choice. However eladrin just recently stated that the elven arcanum enhancement line will grant +1 spell pen and 20 spell points per tier. This means that for an elf come update 9 you can spend 10 ap to get 4 spell pen and 80 spell points versus 12 ap to get +3 spell pen on any other race. Elf will still fall behind others as far as overall dc but I think this change will at least give them some mention in the conversation.

Halfling, Half-orc, Dwarf--Don't

So out of all these my personal preference is Human. Having the extra feat and current max dc the same as drow due to drow being at an odd max helps cancel out the negatives of human over drow. Any of the above will work but I just think human offers more here at this time.

Stats

So now that race is choosen lets put your stats in. First thing max int. Next max con. Thats 32 build points. If you are a tr you can add some to str to avoid incapping while enfeebled and to up the carrying load or cha if you want umd. That was easy.

Feats

So let's figure out what feats we may want. We get 12 in all 13 if human.

Maximize-- a must
    Empower-- a must
    Heighten-- a must
    Spell focus necro--a must
    Greater spell focus necro--a must
    Quicken--a must
    Extend--a must
    Toughness--a must because of lich form requirement otherwise for certain builds this could actually be done away with.

That's 8 of your 12 heres a list of others to choose from

Insightful reflexes-- In epic content about the only thing that will 1-shot you is spells and traps this takes care of 95% of the spells. I highly recommend it.

Spell Penetration/greater spell penetration-- The more wizard past lifes you have the less importance these have. Don't neglect your spell pen however as your best single target damage spell relies on this as well as lots of cc.

SF: Enchantment/GSF: Enchantment--These are really nice to have especially if undergeared. Once you start getting up in the 40+dc without them though they become a little overkill. As of U9 I think the dependence on enhcnatment is much lessened and these aren't as strong as before.

SF: Other school--not enough spells come out of any of these schools to devote a full feat to them in my opinion.

Mental Toughness--A prerequisite for wraith form and a few extra spell points. While I don't use it very often I find wraith form to be very useful for several specific tasks and I would not enjoy not having it.

Skill Focus: UMD--Useful for a umd build to hit that magical 39 mark. More info on umd given in the skills section.

Arcane Initiate (tr's only)--If you have access to it take it, if you don't have access to it tr and then take it.

Shield proficiency and shield mastery-- This is a two feat combo that provides 15% physical damage reduction with am epic kundarak warding shield. Not the best option but if used in conjunction with all the temp hp gear available and other dr can make a palemaster really hard to kill. Considering epic mobs are generally dishing out ~50 dmg that amounts to a 7.5 dr that stacks with everything else.

As you can see there are more than enough useful feats for a wizard build making human even more important to me as a race choice.

Skills

As a wizard you should have plenty of skill points. Heres some tips on the ones I recommend. There really is no must haves here.

Concentration--while not really needed if you use quicken you can also turn off quicken for non-epic content and be fine. More important for umd builds to help make sure your scrolls are going off.

Spot--I highly recommend this one. Being able to see stealthed mobs can be important and you have plenty of skill points here.

Hide/Move silently--Wizards can be highly adept at stealthing and have plenty of skill points. Wraith form really helps here too. This is not a must have but can be really useful depending on play style.

Diplomacy--As of U9 this is better, it is a hit or miss unlike bluff and requires a pretty high skill threshold for it to be effective.

Bluff-- this really doesn't require much skill investment as you are looking for the -threat generation which happens anyways and being able to hit the dc's for sneak attack dmg is less useful

Intimidate--As mentioned above you'll often get to a point where you want to get hit. You can tank lots of things in the game and heal yourself. One of your best items once made epic also comes with a free +15 intim so your score should be pretty high. A lot less useful after u9 as it doesn't last long enough and it's hard to generate as much threat without high sp generation. Still useful for a quick pull off other players however.

UMD--This is one that is really dependent on choice. You really don't need it to help yourself it's more to help others. With a 39 umd and a few ap into wand mastery you can be an off healer or in really efficient groups just be the healer. I've solo healed several epics with my wizard tossing heals and cc'ing everything. This is really recommended for those that are well geared and run with well geared parties. Being able to raise is also a nice boon.

Enhancements

So in doing your enhancements you have a few ways to go here. Let's first look at what is pretty much essential here.

Wizard Int III-12 points
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar III-6 points
    Wizard Pale Master III-8 points
    Lich Form-2 points
    Wizard Capstone--2 points

That's 30 of your 80 points, So you have 50 to play around with.

Elemental lines--There are lots of ways to go here and there really is no wrong choice it just depends on play style. Some people prefer to max out or almost max out 2 lines while others prefer maybe max one and just a little in all the others. It depends once agin on preference. I like to almost max 2 as rarely between two elemental lines and your negative dmg or instakill do you not have a good option to deal with something.

Fire--Fire has lost a lot of it's oomph but is still fairly strong. The best part with fire is it's ability to easily handle undead which palemasters are a little short on tools to deal with. It lacks in single target boss nuking however which is another area palemasters lack a bit in.

Ice--Good aoe and single target capability. Does lack in dealing with lich/skeleton mobs which are also often hard for a palemaster to deal with. Very strong choice but need to back it up with another strong element usually.

Air--Better aoe than ice but less single target. A little weaker overall than ice in my opinion but fewer resistance problems.

Earth-- Probably the least useful of the elements for palemasters. The biggest issue is it's heavy reliance on lev 4 spells which palemasters are already hard pressed for. Also a little lacking in single target dps for anything with acid resistance.

Force-- Force has some good situationally useful spells. Meteor swarm disintegrate and horrid wilting make a pretty good trio of untyped dmg spells. Horrid wilting has targeting issues however and until that is fixed it loses one of it's better spells.

Spell pen line--This really depends on how many past lives you have. Shoot for a 30ish spell pen. If you can do it without these all the better as they are expensive.

Improved metamagic lines--These can help you stretch out your spell bar a bit. They are fairly costly ap wise though. Heighten line will oftne save you the most spell points but it is very costly ap wise.

Racial toughness--if you feel you need more hp then take these.

Other racial enhancements--human and half-elf get adaptability, drow really nothing, wf have con, elves will get arcanum but overall theres really must haves here unless you need the int to get to an even number or need hp badly.

Wraith form--I've already hit on this a bit but it's a nice useful if rarely used tool. Really boils down to personal preference. I would personally always have wraith form.

Vamp form--I am really not impressed with this too much. Enchantment spells are less important for me now. I don't feel like giving up 40 hp and making myself much more vulnerable to light spells is worth just one dc in enchantment while losing one dc in other schools.

Zombie Form-- Don't

Wand mastery--useful for umd builds.

Summons lines--While these may be fun while leveling, in endgame raiding and epic content they don't do enough of anything to warrant the high ap use.

Spells

This is not a highlight of all spells but ones more useful to a palemaster than other casters.

Death Aura- Every 2 seconds you get a pop for around 30 hp, 70 on crits. This spell is extremely efficient at negating all inconsequential dmg. Unless you have a large number of mobs beating on you or taking large spell dmg this is really all you'll need to keep your hp bar full. The more gear you get to also help negate damage the stronger this becomes allowing you to take a larger beating without healing via burst. Be careful around hypno'd or fascinated mobs though.

Negative Energy Burst- This is your oh $%^& heal. Use it to get a big fill up on your hp bar but excessive use of this runs your sp bar down quickly. At most times you should try to keep your hp up with death aura and use this only in emergencies. Also aoe and can draw unwanted aggro or break fascinates or hypno's.

Necrotic Ray- 20d8 fort save for half subject to spell resistance. For many things this out does polar ray for single target damage and has a much shorter cooldown. If you have the sr to make this land 100% you should use this on any susceptible creature who has a fort save of no more than 10 over your dc. There are very few creatures in game with a fort save of over 50 and if you don't have at least a 40 necro dc you have other issues.

Wail/finger- With u9 these are once again your bread and butters in epic content. Not much more needs to be said.

Circle of death- A good compliment to your other death spells. This gives you a good debuff if the fort save is made.

Undeath to death- A will save insta kill for undead fills a pretty useful niche for palemasters. Theres not enough undead at endgame to have this as an always loaded spell but if doing content with undead this is really strong. Very few epic undead save on this.

Symbol of death- This gives one negative level to a mob each time it passes through. It's situational useful but not that important. If I want to mass debuff mobs its often quicker and easier to hit them with a crushing despair.

Power Word Kill- I had found this nice to use on orange nameds with high fort saves but u9 patch 1 is changing that. Hard to see much use for it now but there's not may other level 9 options so it will probably stay.

Power Word Stun- This is a nice tool to handle orange nameds after u9p1 or any mob that may get a deathward up before you can kill it. It will always land and give a fairly long 50% increase to damage to burn it down.

Fear/Symbol of Fear/Scare-Everyone hates to chase after feared mobs so I wouldn't recommend using htese often but there are some good uses. In tod part three use on orthons for a cheap way to keep them occupied. In epic chrono you can use this on devils in abashai fight or archers/devils in steam tunnels fight. Also useful on bases 1 and 2 in von 6 as an alternative to fascinate/hypno that is nut subject to breaking on dmg (flensers on base 3 have extremely high will saves and this is not really efficient there.) I don't keep these loaded full time but if you remember to swap them out at the right times they can be strong tools to deal with things you dont wanna fight anyways.

Halt Undead- A useful tool in undead quests.

Free Nukes- You get three of these with your pale master enhancements. I rarely use the touch but the burst and blast are often used. I love the fact that I am not just sitting around in between casts of stuff anymore. These cost hp not sp to cast and in conjunction with death aura are virtually a limitless supply of dmg. They dont do a ton of damage, about 150 (75 on save) regular or 300 (150 on save) on a crit. They do have an extemely short 1 second cooldown though and are nice for nuking when you don't wanna use spell points or to slip into a nuking rotation of necrotic ray and polar ray when on cooldowns. Just using bolt and blast you will do about 150 dps on mobs that save half the time (most mobs don't so it's often higher). Adding about a third of a melee in for no additional cost isn't a bad thing.

Gear

There is a lot of different ways to gear a pale master. Generally a piece of gear should do one of two things. Make your spells better/stronger or make you more survivable. Pale masters are much more reliant on gear to make them really strong for epic content versus an archmage mostly due to the latter gear type. Once geared out taking hits becomes less of an issue and youll be able to withstand a lot more of these. Therefore gear that procs on hit is more of an option here. Listing out every possible piece of gear to make you better would be pretty intensive and other lists are out there. I am going to focus on gear that helps improve your defense allowing you to take hits and actually want to get hit even in epic content.

Epic torc of raiyum de II- This is your mana battery. Just a regular torc will work but this gives the added benefit of covering all your 8th lev and lower spells for sr and a colorless slot.

Demon Consort Bracers- These are one of your best items available for a pm. You are not subject to the negative level it bestows. The 20% chance for 30 temp hp is essentially 6 stacking dr and stacks with the lich form temp hit points and con opps. These three together really negate a lot of damage. The curse effect is often nice very little hits me lowering their saves and this is part of that reason. Epic these if you can for a yellow slot and a colorless slot and 15 intim.

Con Opp shroud item- My set of these is +5 fort save/50 sp 2 cha skills/100 sp 3 cha skills. Other options will work some prefer to use their hp item here I don't because I cant get cha skills on my item i use for hp. This is a supplement to your torc and your temp hp gear. While not really effective on its own it is nice when paired with other gear. I actually have 2 of these (boots and goggls that I use depending on the situation and what other gear I want. I just swap on whatever I choose here.)

Epic Lion headed Belt Buckle- This covers my str and my con, gives another yellow slot and a colorless and also the roar effect often bestow shaken on many mobs hitting me lowering their saves by 2. This and demon consort bracers curse effect help lower mob saves making sure if something is beating on me it wont be making a save. Even a non epic version wouldnt be bad as it gives you str to prevent helplessness con and the on hit effect.

Epic Ring of Mire-The earthen guard effect on this goes off a lot more than you would expect. Casting stoneskin becomes hard on a pm as your lev 4 spells are really hurt with needing death aura and energy burst. I've tried with wands but can honestly say this is on more than wands ever were. Not to mention the always on 10dr against piercing and the extra 3 fort save. This is what allows me to take a lot of epic archer hits while I've held the melees and fill up my sp bar. I don't wear the boots for the set often but I have a pair to swap to if i want striding balance or underwater action.

Enervation guard hp shroud item- I have these on a pair of gloves. A fairly high proc rate sees these go off often. Helping to lower saves and in epic if a mob hasn't already been attacked it takes off a lot of hit points also. +5 dex skills is also nice for balance and stealth.

Epic Robe of Shadow/Shroud of the abbott- Boon to undeath on these casts inflict light wounds on you every time you are hit melee or ranged. These amounts to about 8 points healed. In epic content this is 8dr/- essentially that stacks. It is very buggy right now and you lose the effect if you swap robes while in form or get deathwarded and can only be readded by dropping form and swapping the robe back off and on. Or by dying.

So with this setup everytime I am hit im melee I have the following

Chance to gain sp from torc
    Chance to gain temp hp or sp from con opp
    Chance to gain temp hp from bracers
    Chance to gain temp hp from lich form
    Chance to curse mob
    Chance to shaken mob
    Chance to enervate mob
    Chance to cast stoneskin for 70 points
    Gain ~8 hp

I also often wear epic boots of corrosion for disintegrate guard and the belt and bracers also have small dmg procs.

I can usually handle a couple of epic mobs beating on me and just have death aura keep me up with this setup.

I will have a full list of my gear setup later on in the thread.

Tactics

For non epic content wail/finger eveything you can and cc or help dps those you cant. For certain raids you may have specific tasks these are no different than any other caster would have.

For epic content. Wail or cirle to thin out packs. Dont try and kill every last mob as often that will drain your sp fast. Some mobs are fairly difficult to instakill even with mid 40's dc's find other tools to deal with these as necessary. Pick up stray archers and let them plink at you to get sp procs while you and the rest of party deal with melee/caster mobs. If umd specced use your scrolls to help out the healer. Don't be afraid to tank a boss if needed.

That's pretty much it. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by LeLoric; 05-16-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

Here is my current build for those wanting to see it.

Lelodar 20 wiz Pale Master

True Neutral Human

34 point Build

Starting Stats
    8 Str
    8 Dex
    16 Con
    8 Wis
    18 Int
    15 Cha

Ending Stats
    Str 8 base +2 tome +6 item +1 litany +1 exc
    Dex 8 base +2 tome +1 litany
    Con 16 base +3 tome +1 enh +1 litany +4 lich +6 item +1 exc=32 +2 rage +2 yugo =36
    Wis 8 base +2 tome +6 item +1 litany +1 exc +2 lich=18 (yugo pot for von 5)
    Int 18 base +5 level up +3 tome +4 enh +2 capstone +6 item +3 exc +1 litany +2 lich +2 yugo = 46
    Cha 15 base +2 tome +7 item +1 exc +1 litany=26

Gear:
    Helm Minos Legens/Epic Big top w/ +1 exc Wis
    Necklace Epic Torc w/ +1 exc cha
    Trinket Litany/eardweller
    Cloak Epic Silver Concord w/ transmutation focus
    Belt Epic Lion Headed Belt Buckle w/ Evocation focus and +1 exc con
    Goggles Conn Opp 150 sp +5 cha skills/Epic Spirit Sight w/ +1 exc Str
    Gloves 45 HP enervation guard
    Boots Epic Boots of corrosion w/ Heavy Fort/+5 cha skills 150 spell points con opp/Epic Kundarak/firestorm/Tod Boots
    Bracers Epic Bracers of Demon Consort w/ GFL and +6 con
    Ring 1 Sanuras Band w/ +2 int
    Ring 2 Epic Ring of the mire/Epic Shaman's Band/Circle of hatred/Ring of djinn
    Robes:
    Epic Robe of Shadow
    Epic Diabolists
    Upgraded regalia of the pheonix
    Epic Ironweave
    Weapon Sets:
    Epic Staff of arcane Power
    Epic Staff of Inner sight
    Staff of the petitioner
    Dreamspitter
    Skiver/x major lore item
    45% cold absorption panacea clickie
    +5 holy burst heavy pick/ seeker 10 heavy pick
    2x epic midnight greetings

Feats:
    1 Insightful Reflexes
    3 Past Life Wizard
    6 Spell Pen
    9 SF Necro
    12 GSF Necro
    15 Quicken
    18 SF Umd
    Human Bonus
    1 Toughness
    Wizard bonus
    1 Extend
    5 Maximize
    10 Empower
    15 Heighten
    20 Mental Toughness

Enhancements
    Wizard Int III (12)
    Wizard Master of Magic (2)
    Human Adaptability Int (2)
    Human Greater Adaptability Con (4)
    Racial Toughness I (1)
    wizard Lineage of Energy II (3)
    Wizard Lineage of Deadly Energy II (3)
    Wizard Lineage of Elements III (6)
    Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements III (6)
    Wizard Energy Manipulation IV (10)
    Wizard Elemental Manipulation IV (10)
    Wizard Energy of the Scholar III (6)
    Wizard Wand and scroll Mastery II (3)
    Wizard Pale Master III (8)
    Shroud of the Lich (2)
    Shroud of the Wraith (2)

DC's
    Necro
    10 Base +9 spell+18 int mod +2 spell focus+1 wiz past life +2 item+1 lich form=43
    Enchantment
    10 Base +9 spell+18 mod +1 past life +2 item=40
    Trans/conj/evoc
    10 base +9 spell+18 mod+1 spell focus +1 past life +1 item=40

All dc's increase 1 with ship buff
    Evoc increase 1 with robe swap to regalia
    Conj increase 2 with robe swap to Epic diabolists
    All but Necro/enchantment increase 1 with staff of inner sight

HP
    80 wiz levels
    260 con
    20 heroic
    10 draconic
    20 Pale Master
    40 SFL
    45 Shroud
    22 Toughness
    10 Toughness Enh
    20 Yugo
    20 more with con ship buff

Umd
    11 ranks
    9 mod
    3 SF
    5 shroud
    3 persuasion
    3 Big top
    +4 GH

Spell Pen
    Lev 8 and lower
    20 Wizard
    2 Past Life
    3 Epic torc
    2 Feat
    2 Staff of arcane power

Lev 9
    20 wiz
    2 past life
    2 Shamans Band
    2 Staff of arcane power

I copied this from an older guild form post. I tried to update everything but there may be a few discrepencies. If you notice any please point them out.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Epic Bracers of the Demon's Consort are +11 to Intim, IIRC.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    Epic Bracers of the Demon's Consort are +11 to Intim, IIRC.
    Nope changed a while ago when they changed many of the desert items. +15 intim now.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by LeLoric View Post
    I copied this from an older guild form post. I tried to update everything but there may be a few discrepencies. If you notice any please point them out.
    Under feats you list 3x wiz past life, under spell pen you list 2x wiz past life and at the beginning you say it's a 34 point build. So you may want to go back and correct it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridag View Post
    Under feats you list 3x wiz past life, under spell pen you list 2x wiz past life and at the beginning you say it's a 34 point build. So you may want to go back and correct it a bit.
    Under feats the 3 is the level I took wizard past life not that I have 3x wizard past lifes. Under spell pen the 2 is the amount of spell pen I get from 1 past life. If I had two past lifes it would actually say 4 there.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Is the high starting cha specifically aimed at umd, and do you ever use that ability for yourself or mainly to heal others in party? Ps thanks for putting this together!
    Last edited by Ladywolf; 02-19-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Main characters: Usually on Rhyes, Miniryse or Legolass
    I'm rich! filthy rich! /runs off to AH
    /cry! I'm poor! flat broke! /runs off to sell things on forum

I really like this thread. Very clear and informative. I don't really see myself making a pale master in the near future, but I've bookmarked this in case I ever do; and it's always good to learn more about the various classes. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

nice man.

this was more personal, but i repspecced out of pm when my wiz hit 20, seems to be more effective as am.

but i dont have a 46 int though

comments?

does 42 dc vrs 40 dc really help that much?

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Great guide, thanks for the info.

I have a capped WF Sorc (with 1 wiz past life) that I want to TR again to a wizard (and probably TR back to a sorc again when their PRE comes out... I take a long time to TR up again and dont really care about epic content). I have been leaning heavily towards PM for this life but I just wasn't sure how to play it. This provides a lot of insight.

+1 to you sir
    Naggesh-Drow Wiz PM TR--Borax DethAxe-Dwarf Rng/Mnk/Fgt--Accomplice of the Sorcerer-WF Arti TR --Ombrah the Outcast-BF Pali--Luxxs Interior-Human Bard WC--Xeak the Dirty-1/2ling Rog Assassin--Poli Styrene-Human Arti

Do you run without a sup pot 6 item? I presume you use the epic robe of shadows for your nullification, but what about when you use robes like epic diabolist's? You find the PM belt (and thereby the set) to be less important than the epic lion headed belt buckle?
    Guilds: Prophets of the New Republic & Revenents Khyber
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel
    Builds: Helves Angel Hurtlocker Dark Knight Riddle of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    nice man.

this was more personal, but i repspecced out of pm when my wiz hit 20, seems to be more effective as am.

comments?

hob
    you should have essentially the same DC as an archmage of the same race, provided you use yugoloth potions (you'd be crazy not to) while the archmage does not (it's kinda risky). even if the archmage *does* drink yugo pots, you'll only be one behind an archmage of the same race (and archmage is much more likely to be WF, whereas pale master you can easily be any other race without really losing anything)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    Do you run without a sup pot 6 item? I presume you use the epic robe of shadows for your nullification, but what about when you use robes like epic diabolist's? You find the PM belt (and thereby the set) to be less important than the epic lion headed belt buckle?
    For damage I use clickies. I have multiple sup nihil 6 clickies for 75% bonus. All the amrath belts and regalia for more fire. Eardweller for 100% when I want it also. I do have a sup pot 6 scepter i use for disintegrates and such but rarely use it.

As far as the set it really doesn't do anything for me. I generally have 75% boost up so 60 is wasted.

The epic belt gives me more slot consolidation, add to that the shaken effect it has to lower saves and I find it extremely more valuable than the Pale master belt.
    Last edited by LeLoric; 02-19-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
    nice man.

comments?

hob
    I currently don't use either of the enchantment feats so I do fall below an archmage a tad but 40 dc is really plenty. More is always better but I don't really ever find I absolutely need it. There actually hits a point where diminishing returns kicks in on saves and for epics it's generally around 40 dc and higher. For higher will save mobs fts is your friend. Keep in mind with all the save lowering procs I wear I often have a higher essential dc than archmages who wouldn't wear these items. Plus other party members benefit from these lowered saves in landing stuns and such.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Quote Originally Posted by Ladywolf View Post
    Is the high starting cha specifically aimed at umd, and do you ever use that ability for yourself or mainly to heal others in party? Ps thanks for putting this together!
    Yeah the cha is aimed at umd mainly but also helps for things like intim and diplo requirements in partycrashers and a few other quests.

Umd is rarely used on myself however getting of a quick scroll after a rez is useful. I do carry around a small stack of harm scrolls also but rarely need these with the 5 clickies of it on circle of hatred. Being able to heal others and rez if needed however is a big benefit.
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Do you see any disadvantage to going neutral good (to use ancestor rings) until such time as I loot a litany trinket for the +1, at which point I'd use a store bought alignment change item?
    Main characters: Usually on Rhyes, Miniryse or Legolass
    I'm rich! filthy rich! /runs off to AH
    /cry! I'm poor! flat broke! /runs off to sell things on forum

Do you see any disadvantage to going neutral good (to use ancestor rings) until such time as I loot a litany trinket for the +1, at which point I'd use a store bought alignment change item?
    you mean apart from the fact that you could much more easily make a tier II pos/pos shroud item with no alignment restrictions, and potentially even some other useful abilities on it, without costing you a single turbine point?

Nice Lelo! I'm set-up in a very similar manner on Elochka. Some decisions I made on gear ended up hurting my chances at Heal-scroll UMD (Shroud HP item on head, locking out 3 from Epic Big Top, for example), so I got enough to use Raise scroll semi-reliably and ditched SF: UMD for Spell Focus: Enchantment. When I've TR'ed another 2 times (3 Wiz PLs), I'll probably drop Greater Spell Pen for one of Mental Toughness (I'd be curious to read what situations you use Wraith in over Lich), GSF: Enchant or SF: UMD.

Do you bother with a Concentration item? I may have missed one if you had it listed.

I've been using a +45 Tempered I GS Helm with Earth/Con at tier III for an always-on +13 Concentration. I had thought about an Ash item sometime during Elochka's first life and had abandoned the idea because I didn't have self-healing or the HP to be taking hits, but I think I might craft a replacement helm for when I've got Quicken running. How often does it seem to proc?

Also, on the Mabar robes bug. When you swap robes, you have to drop form before re-equiping your robe, or was that only when you get DW'ed? I really wish the devs would clean up these 2 outstanding PM bugs.

What did you slot your Staff of Inner Sight with? I put +1 Con, because that was the first epic I made with an open slot, but I kind of regret it, as I don't like losing HP when I swap weapons, even if it comes back quickly once changed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    Clean, while I'm not Leloric, Elochka is set-up similarly. I primarily go Epic Robe of Shadow and Epic Staff of Inner Sight, unless I'm doing a lot of nuking, and then I swap the staff for a Greenblade and Superior Potency VI scepter. Generally speaking, if I'm blasting stuff, I don't need the extra 1 DC/Reflex save from the staff's 7 Int. Amrath clickies, Regalia and Epic Robe of Fire usually cover me for everything. In some fights where I want the extra 20 HP (see my comment above about my slotting mistake), I swap the Torc for the Noxious Embers to cover my Greater Arcane Lore.

I can make the Epic Robe of the Diabolist, and can almost make the Epic Greenblade (could have bought a scroll, but it's not pressing enough to spend so much), but I really like the Mabar robe's stats too much to take it off for more than a second to use a clicky.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    you mean apart from the fact that you could much more easily make a tier II pos/pos shroud item with no alignment restrictions, and potentially even some other useful abilities on it, without costing you a single turbine point?
    This^ plus the fact that being good subjects you to a fair amount of extra damage. On a melee I have a hard time being non-good, because I like Pure Good weapons (the first weapon I managed to get for my barbarian to bypass Lailat's DR was the Epic Antique GA, just because he can't use PG weapons and didn't want to make a Min II). Make a GS Pos/Pos item. Take some UMD and carry scrolls. Even a lowish UMD is enough to activate a Raise Dead scroll, and as long as you don't need to do so in the heat of tough combat, you can get people up after a few tries.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Dwarves aren't a bad choice for Pale Master IMO, as long as you don't shoot at max UMD, then go Human (Versatility) or Drow. The only thing dwarves give you is +4 Con, but then that's still nice and Dwarves aren't falling behind humans that much (about the same as Warforged).

Also in your skill section you didn't add balance. I think balance is quite important for a PM to stand up when tripped.

You could add Minos, Skivver and a decent shield for torc-turtle (I like epic weathered targe: 0%spell failure greater spear block, blue and violet slot) to your item's section.

Everything else looks very good.

Just my 0.002 pp

Regards Tore
    (bb) || !(bb)

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast