Default Batten down the hatches!

Cyclone Yasi is 1 hour from reaching landfall on the north Queensland coast, Australia. Category 5 cyclone. Just weeks after Queensland was hit with floods.

Here is a link you might find interesting, it compares the size on various continents.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225998762870

I know it's not Khyber drama, but I thought a little bit of 'what's going on in the world outside of the USA and DDO might be worthwhile.

Thankfully I'm south enough, but my thoughts are with my colleagues up north and I might be heading up after it passes to help with the relief effort.

To those of you DDOers up in north queensland, keep safe, hold on tight and we'll see you in a week or so when they get power back!

KHYBER: Drilltex WF Monk 20 (TRx2), Pyrric Human Wiz (20), Drilltor WF Wiz (20), Drillsworn WF FvS (18)

Community Member

Good luck and I wish all the best for our friends on the north east coast.

It looks mean, and I can only imagine at how immense this storm will be.

It will be the most ferocious and possibly most devestating storm Australia has ever seen since records began.

Again, all my hopes go out to the people in Innisfail and surrounding areas.
    Phalkonn Gargantuann Bohemoth Ozsprey Gimmim Intim Algernonn Algernette Collossal Horacce Evenbigger Rayvonn Amerissa Amerisa Chopperr Forceofhabit Forceofpower Forceofmusic Forceofanger Forceofcrypt Cryptgimp Torcona Enormouss Humunngouss Biteyour Raiyumgimp
    AMEN Thelanis

I think I might actually prefer a cyclone compared to the blizzard we have in Chicagoland. I'm in the burbs, and the county has declared a civil emergency.

We've had an unusually mild winter here.... until now.
    Stay safe bro.

how unfortunate, you guys just fixed yourselves from that flood earlier
    Khyber - Nuic (TR), Zapn (TR), Alixer, Nuiq

Default Yikes!!!

I am certain I have never seen anything that large or destructive in my 41 years on this planet... Yes, please batten down the hatches, be safe and good luck!!!
    Founder #9518
    The problem with being punctual is that no one is there to appreciate it...

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    I think I might actually prefer a cyclone compared to the blizzard we have in Chicagoland. I'm in the burbs, and the county has declared a civil emergency.

We've had an unusually mild winter here.... until now.
    Stay safe bro.
    I've been through many hurricanes and several blizzards. Trust me, you are far better off with the snow. ESPECIALLY when compared to a cat4 or 5 storm.

I hope those poor people were smart enough to evacuate.
    Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. -Mrmrsmr Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by Kreaper View Post
    I've been through many hurricanes and several blizzards. Trust me, you are far better off with the snow. ESPECIALLY when compared to a cat4 or 5 storm.

I hope those poor people were smart enough to evacuate.
    But I've never been in a hurricane. The grass is always greener....

Community Member

Ya our guildie was gaming throughout it.

We have a lot of Aussies in MAC. To all my guildies, and to everyone else affected:

Be well. Be safe. My thoughts are with you.
    "And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
    From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
    And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
    And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold. " - Millay

But I've never been in a hurricane. The grass is always greener....
    Sorry, the grass has blown away.

It's amazing and terrible at the same time. The wind and rain blows completely horizontally. For hours. Then it gets still. Then it blows horizontally in the opposite direction for hours. (That's not counting the feeder bands and outer parts of the storm.) The problem isn't just that the wind and rain are blowing 100+mph for hours. It is that the wind is also blowing debris. Boards, tree branches, shingles, (Terracotta tiles in Florida.), metal storage buildings, boats, etc. Pretty much, if it isn't nailed down, it's gonna fly away. If it is nailed down, it might still fly away. Crank those winds up to 140-180 and you can imagine how bad it would be.

After Wilma, I will never sit through another hurricane.

At least snow doesn't blow your house down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreaper View Post
    Sorry, the grass has blown away.

It's amazing and terrible at the same time. The wind and rain blows completely horizontally. For hours. Then it gets still. Then it blows horizontally in the opposite direction for hours. (That's not counting the feeder bands and outer parts of the storm.) The problem isn't just that the wind and rain are blowing 100+mph for hours. It is that the wind is also blowing debris. Boards, tree branches, shingles, (Terracotta tiles in Florida.), metal storage buildings, boats, etc. Pretty much, if it isn't nailed down, it's gonna fly away. If it is nailed down, it might still fly away. Crank those winds up to 140-180 and you can imagine how bad it would be.

After Wilma, I will never sit through another hurricane.

At least snow doesn't blow your house down.
    Chicagoland. Midwest. Tornado alley. Tornadoes just don't last as long.
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=SigChiTorn

edit: Found it. 3:45 here used to be our home. I'm accustomed to nature's wrath. And I wasn't trying to belittle anything with my failed attempt at humor.
    Last edited by Calebro; 02-02-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Good lord, you guys, please be safe. I've been through many hurricanes (SE coast USA) and they are nothing to mess around with. This one just blows my mind.

My thoughts are with you all. Take care.
    "Funny 'Ha-Ha, or Funny 'Uh-oh...'?
    Probably Funny 'Uh-Oh.'"
    Khyber - Mesaana, Samaeila Suncrusher

Chicagoland. Midwest. Tornado alley. Tornadoes just don't last as long.
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=SigChiTorn

edit: Found it. 3:45 here used to be our home. I'm accustomed to nature's wrath. And I wasn't trying to belittle anything with my failed attempt at humor.
    No worries. I got your humor. That's why I made the joke about the grass blowing away. Guess I rolled a 1...

Blizzards, ice storms, 115+ temps, -45 temps, tornadoes, flooding, hurricanes... I've experienced all of it except quakes. None of natures wrath is fun. I have a couple of feet of snow in my yard right now and I am certainly glad this storm is blowing south of us. The arctic air is right behind this storm. Stay warm!

+1 for surviving the loss of your home!
    Last edited by Kreaper; 02-02-2011 at 09:41 AM.

As much as Vic VS Qld give each other ****, I sincerely hope all you dirty Queenslanders are alright through this.

Anyone know if Charters Towers lost power?
    Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
    Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor Barb 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 15 - Splatsplat DoS 18/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Auran82 View Post
    Numot talks enough for like 10 people. So yeah, 13 people in that channel.

I woke up this morning, it was raining again.

I'm getting a bit like pavlov's dogs with rain at the moment.

Every time i see rain i'm starting to cringe a bit inside :P.

Good luck to everyone up North, hope you all come through it alright, as long as the pub's can stay open right? xD.

Coit out~
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket Coittimeh Coitburner Coitin Luciforge Batgirly Coithealz Coithippie StealthCoit: Ghallanda

Hope you weather the weather safely!

I'd definitely take snow over a hurricane. Snow can be fun, and dealing with a lot of it is more manageable than dealing with gale force winds and torrential rain.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Hope you weather the weather safely!

I'd definitely take snow over a hurricane. Snow can be fun, and dealing with a lot of it is more manageable than dealing with gale force winds and torrential rain.
    For real. Snowmobiles suk in hurricanes.

The cyclone is now easing toward being a tropical low (still category 1). I'm still a little worried about those in Mt Isa, as they have typically had little reason to fortify their buildings from cyclones, what with being over a thousand km inland from the east coast and 500 from the north coast.

I'm fortunate to be living on the opposite side of the country, where less than a week ago TC Bianca threatened the coast, petering out before it could get to us. We had stronger winds than that on Christmas night... but the rellies over in Qld have been in the forefront of our minds. My other half can now sleep soundly as she now knows her mum is fine, though yet to get home to assess the damage, and I'm hoping my cousin was sensible enough to seek shelter too.

The first obvious casualty of the storm was actually a weather station on Willis Island, which happened to be directly in the path of the storm, and that was before it peaked in intensity. Both radar and the wind gauge went offline over 24 hours ago, and as the eye passed over the coast around 15 hours ago there were already around 150,000 homes without power, more than affected when cyclone Larry came through previously.

As for the earlier floods, they were basically not in that area of the state. The death toll from that was over 20... as for the Yasi's toll... now there's an inspiring tale... http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...203-1af0c.html

They have their lives, and if they need to, they'll rebuild. That makes me a relieved panda.

Edit: I heard earlier today the first and hopefully only report of a death as an indirect result of the cyclone. It's probably going to get a Darwin award nomination... after losing power, some guy ran his diesel generator in an enclosed room... with himself also inside. Yes, the exhaust fumes killed him.

Also: As crops have been wiped out yet again, we can expect that within weeks, the price of bananas will go up by ~400%, amongst other things. Inconvenient, yes. Important? Not more than maybe noteworthy.
    Last edited by Meetch1972; 02-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.