Default Can't see my screenshots

Hello, I've been having an issue since I began playing, and wanted to figure it out myself but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. The problem is this: I take screenshots properly in game, and it tells me that it's been saved to xyz folder as xyz jpg, but when I go to open/look at them all they are is a big black square. I've tried 'saving as', I've tried editing in Paint, I just don't know if these can be recovered or not.....or if I'm doing something wrong that's easily correctible.

I press Ctrl/P to take a screenshot, all signs point to it being successful, but then zilch. I have some really nice shots I'd like to have, maybe even share (I really wanna show someone this pink....monsterie...thing, that floats in the air doing nothing...it's like a little biped that appears as if it's had it's shell cracked off, and it just sorta floats there, and I say what IS that thing?!)..but this is beside the point, I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I suppose I could just open one note and take that route, but it would likely slow down my machine, not to mention force me to have to minimize my game screen and go through all that hassle, when sometimes it's in the 'heat of the moment' when some of the best screenshots are taken. I see so many people with great posts that include pics of in game, and it appears to be a very valuable tool when asking for advice (or showing off accomplishments, screen shot or it didn't happen, right?? lol)

I feel sorta lame for not being able to figure this out, but maybe it's a setting on my end that I'm not savvy enough to understand. I really would appreciate any help with this, as I'd like some concrete evidence that what happened really did sometimes!

Thanks for any help, and in the meantime I'm just not going to add more files that I can't see to my folder I suppose.

Well, you've got the basic process down. Doing the right thing, & looking in the right folder...

*intrigued*

Something graphics-wise isn't picking up the pic, are all your graphics drivers current?
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Ya know, that might just be it. I've really been pounding my head into the wall over this one, I attempted to look into updating drivers, but that turned into a pain as well, ha ha ha.

Thanks so much for pondering this, weird right? One of these days I'll figure it out I'm sure, my machine isn't exactly 'up to date' with maintenance. (mostly because I spend too much time in game! ha ha)

If anyone does happen to run into this problem, and they manage to solve it, I'd really REALLY appreciate a rundown of how it was fixed or what I may be doing wrong.

It's not actually a huge issue, as long as I can play I'm happy, but the day will come when I'll want my shots so I'll worry then. (Can't post pics yet anyway. )

Thank yooz and regards and all those happy ending post sentiments!

NK

Community Member

It sounds like an overlay problem NecroKovy and I would update your graphics card drivers.

If you post a dxdiag I can point you in the right direction:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199719

If you were to use 3rd party software such as http://www.fraps.com/ or go into windowed mode and use the 'print screen' button to copy to the clipboard and paste into mspaint does it still generate black jpg files?

Community Member

Default Draw Distance

I know when I set me draw distance ( I think that is what it is called) to ultra high i get a black screen shot and when it is set it at very high I actually get a pitcure. That might be your problem too.

edit: It is Object draw distance
    Last edited by Junk; 01-31-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Default Hmmm

Thanks very much I'm gonna try that out, and I'll post later on or tomorrow if it worked! Even if it doesn't work, it's something I haven't tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Junk View Post
    I know when I set me draw distance ( I think that is what it is called) to ultra high i get a black screen shot and when it is set it at very high I actually get a pitcure. That might be your problem too.

edit: It is Object draw distance
    I believe you've done it! (Well, I did it, but you helped me figure out how) ;0)

Thank you! Imagine my surprise and delight when I changed those settings, and pow, I've got some screenshots!

Not ALL of them, but some of the latest ones (a couple tests but one or two nice ones...)

So glad that this worked, it's always a pleasant suprise when you find out it's your settings and not your hardware.