Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dear Pew Pews'

From a healer's perspective, one of the most frustrating aspects of grouping with a pew-pewer is a tendency to draw aggro while staying out of range for mass heals. If the archers can keep themselves up, fine. Too often that's not the case, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycurgus View Post
    From a healer's perspective, one of the most frustrating aspects of grouping with a pew-pewer is a tendency to draw aggro while staying out of range for mass heals. If the archers can keep themselves up, fine. Too often that's not the case, though.
    Other healer problem: When the aggroed mobs reach the Archer diplo is used. That doesn't send the mobs back to the mellees. They will just not attack the Ranger, but the other members of the backline. If it's an arcarne I'll have to heal at two places, if it's me .. thanks for that.

Good kiting: thru my bladebarriers and if needed even more then once, kiting away from a squishy member if badly needed

Bad kiting: away from the DPS, out of the firewall, away from the heals and kiting mobs that weren't involved in the fight till they were ranged...

By the way: Just shot those enemy casters, rangers, clerics and everybody is happy. Just shoot at them, no running around. Makes healing you easier and as a ranger you should handle some damage income. You are a good guest in my healing aura. Ranged fighting doesn't mean: You can't get me let's make a chase tru the dungeon. It's: I see you, I kill you.

EDIT: AA Warforged.. that one was the worst so far.
    Last edited by Jiirix; 01-28-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    Clever & Smart Agent - Pure Drow Mechanic: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...arper-Mechanic
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jiirix View Post
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK -all about roleplay games, comedy and hot Dwarf on Dwarf action (BY RICH BURLEW)

Call me when you get scorrows... I'd pay just to see how it works!

j/k

KHYBER: Drilltex WF Monk 20 (TRx2), Pyrric Human Wiz (20), Drilltor WF Wiz (20), Drillsworn WF FvS (18)

If you are a ranged player, this is your bible this is your mantra this is what you should strive too when working as a team:

Please read take note practice and implement, the result is becoming one of the most powerful and useful members of any party, any melee that does not work with an arcane archer when they have one is wasting a massive amount of potential, any arcane archer not working with the melee is wasting a massive amount of potential, if neither tries to work with the other then you could lose, very very easily.

Be one with your bow, be one with your class, be one with your tactics and be one with your party. *meditates*
    Last edited by SiliconShadow; 01-28-2011 at 10:19 AM.

There's also this thread which contains some nice information: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=189167
    Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    If the melee asks "Why didn't you heal me before I died?", Healer response should be "Why didn't you kill it before you died?"
    Everybody's got the right to be stupid, some just abuse the privilege.

I'll tell you if you take care of your own curses.

Dear Pew-Pews,

Just because you are ranging stuff doesn't mean you won't take damage. If my Clerics can get ~450HP each, you can do a lot better than that 250HP showing on your MyDDO page.

If you insist on ranging Raid Bosses, please either do so at point blank so you receive mass cures/heals or stand far enough back that you don't take a ton of damage. No, I'm not taking attention off the group so I can single-target heal you every other cooldown.

I don't need to get constant updates on the status of your Manyshot cooldown timer. We all have cooldown timers, but for some reason you guys feel the need to update us like it's a Twitter feed.
    ~ Pallai, Chennai, Saraphima~
    ~Shipbuff, Sophalia, Northenstar ~
    ~ Ascent~

Quote Originally Posted by phalaeo View Post
    Dear Pew-Pews,

Just because you are ranging stuff doesn't mean you won't take damage. If my Clerics can get ~450HP each, you can do a lot better than that 250HP showing on your MyDDO page.

If you insist on ranging Raid Bosses, please either do so at point blank so you receive mass cures/heals or stand far enough back that you don't take a ton of damage. No, I'm not taking attention off the group so I can single-target heal you every other cooldown.

I don't need to get constant updates on the status of your Manyshot cooldown timer. We all have cooldown timers, but for some reason you guys feel the need to update us like it's a Twitter feed.
    This...^^^^^^ and also /signed to Lycurgus' post up above.

Also, and here is my ****-off switch...I know of a very few pew-pews (2-3 at the moment) that I will willingly take into groups. If I see you ranging portals, I will yell at you. If your Manyshot timer is on cooldown, dual-wield the damn thing. Please. This is my own personal beef. But AAs have cost me xp, time, sp, plat, the whole nine yards.

It's personal, but it's mine. Really good pewpews, please do your thing. But odds are, you're not one of those.
    Kannyaheals, lvl 20 Cleric...Kannya, lvl 20 rogue...Kanbeats, lvl 20 intimitank...Kanya, lvl 14 halfling tosser...Kankan, lvl 11 pally thing...Kancast, lvl 18 wizzy

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danmor View Post
    There's also this thread which contains some nice information: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=189167

A little dated.
    A few things have changed since I wrote that. (some arrows and bow damages don't stack the way they used to. Autotargettting interferes with head shots....but it can still work at times.)
    Plus it has at least one mistake in it. (I see no evidence that DDO uses the D&D rule for getting a +4 to hit someone with melee, when they are using a ranged wep.)
    Now we have Arcane Archers and Rgr capstones....changes things a little.

Nice to see that people still like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Lightbulb

You know what is cool about rangers? Dual-wielding.

Here is what I consider a good team playing archer:

• In a quest where divine or arcane CC doesn't work too well, use your Many Shot and Improved Precise Shot (IPS) with a paralyzer, banisher, or the like to control the mobs. One such quest is Invaders.
    • Pick off enemy casters and clerics FAST.
    • Draw individual mobs to the group if possible, or at least smaller groups so that everyone has less to deal with.
    • If the casters have set up crowd control, kite mobs that are not in the CC into it. Everyone benefits.
    • Put the bow AWAY in a raid with a boss that has extreme hatred for ranged attacks. Examples include VoD and ToD.
    • Only use your bow on Shroud portals when your Many Shot is up or if you can line up multiple portals with IPS. Otherwise, pull out a pair of melee beaters and do more damage over time. You get the TWF feats for free on a Ranger, you'll get the double strikes a lot.
    • If things get hairy, use your Many Shot to take aggro from the extra adds and kite them around. Just be sure to remain in heal range, away from any more potential aggro, and near enough to the melees that they can pick off a few mobs at a time.
    • Turn OFF IPS when casters or bards are mesmerizing mobs, or better yet switch to melee. We do not need stray arrows (the same goes for glancing blows from 2-handers) waking up mobs on a base in Epic VoN6.
    • If you insist on using your bow for a raid boss, do so from point blank range so you are in the mass heal/cure circle. If you can't do this, then take care of yourself because it's a waste of healer resources and potentially harmful to the group if we have to toss you a heal in mid fight.
    • Like it or not, you WILL get hit. Invest in HP and fortification. I'm tired of hearing I'm ranged so I won't get hit! from half the AA's and repeater Rogues I have the "pleasure" of partying with. 250 HP and 25% fortification is not enough at level 18, yet alone 20.

I have played with some amazing ranged characters, but lately it seems there are far fewer good ranged characters than poor ones.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I must say, that I really love it when people who don't play archers...and don't like archers...give advice to archers.

(but on the flip side, an archer can learn a lot from playing another class to. There are ways to take what you learn from any class and apply it to playing other classes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    I must say, that I really love it when people who don't play archers...and don't like archers...give advice to archers.
    This.

Two lives on a my main, multitudes of alts when I first got started, learning the ropes and getting the hang of everything.

How many archers did you say you've played, oh master-never-kite, lord of 'longbowsux'? Yah?

Is it possible people who've been playing archers of some kind might know a tetch more?

Secondly, about the shroud... With a portal-beater bow up, and slayer arrows active, I've dropped portals by myself, without Manyshot running. So think about that the next time you're yelling at the AA for ranging portals.

Definitive Guide to Bravery Bonuses You've got questions? We've got answers... and bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKritter View Post
    Secondly, about the shroud... With a portal-beater bow up, and slayer arrows active, I've dropped portals by myself, without Manyshot running. So think about that the next time you're yelling at the AA for ranging portals.
    Nah, the complainers were probably more worried about the AA pulling Portal Aggro and then having the Portal targeting the archer instead of the melee hoard in front of it!

which as we all know makes healing a pain to maintain...

in addition, those portals move so fast most melees can't keep up with them or effectively target them once they get those construct wheels in motion...

Dang.. Portal Juggernauts!!! with Red Alert!!! ouchies...
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Quote Originally Posted by Geonis View Post
    Dear Clueless Melees,

When we "pew-pew"'s kite, you should remain still in a group, so we can drag the mobs through you. See, with the current mechanics, you are extremely unlikely to even cause an attack roll when chasing a mob.

Thanks,

"Pew-Pew"
    Ah, if only everyone would wait for you to do your thing. . .
    The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory. - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Mithran View Post
    I prefer to think of it this way... If the guy kiting is NOT a gibbering moron, then there's no reason to play the Benny Hill chase music because he'll be bringing the mobs back into the melees anyway. If he IS a gibbering moron, then when you hear the *DING* you leave his ass there, and go on about your business until you see him recall out... then you boot him from the group.

Definitive Guide to Bravery Bonuses You've got questions? We've got answers... and bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by TeyaBrosna View Post
    I'm a girl, but thanks! LOL

Yeah, the trollings are a bit scary, but I can understand that it's borne of acute long-term frustration with badly played rangers. Here's hoping that mindset can be changed one day.
    acute long term frustration, caffeine withdrawals, their little brothers breaking their favourite jedi lightsabre, lack of contact with the opposite sex and the face that the bully keeps stealing his/her lunch money

Welcome to DDO forums

KHYBER: Drilltex WF Monk 20 (TRx2), Pyrric Human Wiz (20), Drilltor WF Wiz (20), Drillsworn WF FvS (18)

Quote Originally Posted by Mithran View Post
    Well, I'm not the one whining and whiffing.

If I am kiting something, I will kill it, and do so without taking any damage (if I do by some odd chance get hit, I will heal myself using the wands any Ranger can use).

I won't whine that I can't hit it and demand you play my way.

I will respect others decisions, and let them play their way, including letting a crappy pew-pew'r die if they don't know what they are doing.
    Hi, I play Generic Fantasy RPG Online, formerly known as DDO.

Dont you love it when you play off peoples paranoia? I remember getting into tod, and when we went inside got asked are you a tempest or AA "i was on a tempest" but for shizz and giggles replied "niether im a deep wood sniper" the silence was deafening lolz

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Dont you love it when you play off peoples paranoia? I remember getting into tod, and when we went inside got asked are you a tempest or AA "i was on a tempest" but for shizz and giggles replied "niether im a deep wood sniper" the silence was deafening lolz
    The placement of your first set of quotation marks confuses me.
    Snorm - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Snormal View Post
    The placement of your first set of quotation marks confuses me.
    thats because they should of been brackets () not qoutation marks "". I hope im not going to get the grammer police on to me?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast