Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

I ran a bugbear monk in a campaign about 10 years ago..

Current campaign i have a Unitaur fighter (its like a minotaur, but with rhino head instead of bull) but its from a dragonquest game my DM has been workin on for 20+ years (http://dragonquestfrontiers.com/).

Quote Originally Posted by Aspenor View Post
    Anything with racial hit dice results in characters full of suck and fail.

It can work fine otherwise, but the same goes for races with too high LA. Once your LA goes past 2 or 3 (3 is pushing it very far) your character becomes full of suck and fail.

Other times, depending on the material allowed, in the rare case a monster PC can be drastically overpowered. Take for example the Half-Minotaur Feral creature.
    Not necessarily. If the GM is running a 3.5 version of "Reverse Dungeon" (and yes, i've done this) it works just fine... mainly because LA essentially goes out the window & there is less focus on class/levels. Its only a problem with a mixed group (An even then there a work arounds).

Community Member

I think the most interesting monstrous race I've played so far is my Thrikreen Monk, who later went Pugilist and finally Drunken Master. Imagine a humanoid Praying Mantis with some Psionic abilities and 4 arms, is a monk, a boxer, and is boozed out all the time and gains health back every time he tanks out. A really fun character to play out, especially with Vow of Poverty. I crack up my group every time I bring him out.

We play Eberron Campaign with 3.5 most of the time...good times.
    Last edited by Terrace; 04-22-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Community Member TheMidnightMage's Avatar

Default Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Terrace View Post
    I think the most interesting monstrous race I've played so far is my Thrikreen Monk, who later went Pugilist and finally Drunken Master. Imagine a humanoid Praying Mantis with some Psionic abilities and 4 arms, is a monk, a boxer, and is boozed out all the time and gains health back every time he tanks out. A really fun character to play out, especially with Vow of Poverty. I crack up my group every time I bring him out.

We play Eberron Campaign with 3.5 most of the time...good times.
    That is just wrong!!! LOL
    Would You offer your throat to the Wolf with the red roses?

Quote Originally Posted by krissonofpark View Post
    I personally, as you may have gathered from that thread, have never played a Race not listed in the Players Manual or played alongside as a Player or Dungeon Master a Player playing one, despite over 20 years of PNP RPG experience (starting with Basic Red Box D&D through to an ongoing PNP group that still plays 3rd edition D&D Rules), so my knowledge of playing such is zero.
    As the usual DM in our long-forgotten PnP group, I played almost strictly monsters.
    My goal was usually to beat the players as badly as possible within two guidelines.

1. What sort of attacks/special things is this monster capable of?
    2. What kind of intelligence does this monster have?
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12