Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Run Chronoscope At-Level For XP!

I /facepalm every time I open the Social Panel and see an LFM for Chronoscope with a level range of 10-20. All this tells me is that people want to press the easy button to get loot to pass to their lowbies. This is all well and good. There's nothing wrong with that. But this means that newer players often don't get the opportunity to run Chronoscope with an at-level group and actually learn something about how raids are run in DDO and get XP and helpful loot in the process. And the XP for Chronoscope is nothing to discredit. It is nearly 10k for a first-time completion on normal when you include the optionals. So how do you get Chronoscope done for XP and get loot your lowbie toon can actually use? It's not as hard as it sounds. I have successfully led a number of Chronoscope groups (PUGs even!) for full XP, always including at least one or two players who were completely new to the raid.

When the raid first came out I remember hearing about how difficult and challenging it was from someone in every group I ran. Some even went so far as to claim it wasn't even worth trying to run at-level. And while it was a rather difficult raid at first glance, I soon came to find out that it was mostly blowing smoke. The truth is, Chronoscope is only difficult if players take a casual attitude towards it. It's a tough quest, but within the quest itself are countless tools at your disposal to help you weather the devil storm. The following guide will teach you how to lead this raid with a group of at-level characters, succeed, and get full XP plus loot you can actually use for the characters running the raid!

Before You Enter The Raid
    Chronoscope is conveniently located right by a guild airship tower. I don't believe for a second that this is coincidence. A number of guild buffs are extraordinarily useful for Chronoscope, especially considering that your at-level Chronoscope group might not be very well geared out yet. Guild buffs aren't necessary for this quest, but if there is at least one person in your at-level group with airship access, it makes sense to ask that person politely to provide everyone in the raid with an invite.

If you don't have access to guild buffs, it still makes sense to prepare. Everyone in the group should carry some method of mitigating damage from energy attacks, namely acid, fire, and sonic. But all energy resistances are useful. A stack of 10 pots of each will be more than sufficient (you could probably get away with 5) and any level 6 character should be able to afford these, which can easily be obtained by visiting the potion vendor conveniently located a hop, skip, and a jump away from the raid entrance.

And while you're at the potion vendor, don't forget a couple others. AC actually matters in Chronoscope for most characters because most of the monsters and even the purple-named bosses don't have attacks that are so high you get hit on a 2 or higher regardless of AC. An AC of about 30 on normal, 33 on hard, and 36 on elite will help you avoid the vast majority of attacks is actually fairly obtainable with a little bit of effort. Quaffing a barkskin pot and shield of faith pot right before a boss encounter can really help any melee who isn't a barbarian. Even if you can't quite hit the target numbers, getting as close as you can will really help reduce your incoming damage and make things easier on the healers.

Finally, make sure you bring the following:
    -at least one bard
    -at least one caster with haste
    -at least two healers

This might sound like a no-brainer to anyone familiar with raid party building but it is absolutely critical for building a reliable no-fail at-level Chronoscope group.

Just As You Step Inside
    This is where I have seen Chronoscope groups often fall apart. The very first skirmish of the raid is easy and doesn't require too many resources. This can lead groups to grow overconfident, especially those with players new to the raid. Point this out! Make sure people don't go running off through the portal and into the marketplace with reckless abandon because the rest of the raid will not be as easy. This is especially important because right after you complete the first skirmish and step into the marketplace you are presented with the opportunity to equip yourself with two game-changing advantages.

1) Just inside the Rusty Nail there are vendors who sell all sorts of things, from wands and potions to flametouched iron weapons. If any of your tanks do NOT have holy, pure good, or flametouched weapons already they NEED to get one of these weapons because at level 6 it is practically guaranteed that bypassing devil damage reduction is going to give them better DPS than whatever they are using (this is even more true at hard and elite where the devils have improved damage reduction). And if your tanks do have holy, pure good, or flametouched iron weapons make sure they are using them at all times. Devils teleport and can be on you before you have a chance to swap weapons. Better to be swinging as they port in than have to scramble to change your weapon and wait for the 1 second weapon swap cooldown. And the tieflings don't have so many hp that having another weapon is vital against them. Also make sure the healers grab a couple of wands if they do not already have their own supply. Healers should be using their wands for spot healing along the way and save their SP for emergencies and purple-named bosses.

2) Inside the Rusty Nail is a dimension door that leads to a roof high above the marketplace where an NPC named Veheer is standing. This is where the leader will come to advance the quest, but there is a great boon to having ALL your party members pop up here for only a moment. If a player talks to Veheer and asks him for aid he will cast a suite of buffs on you that virtually any level 6 player can take advantage of. His buffs include aid, bull's strength, bear's endurance, owl's wisdom, and eagle's splendor and they last for 30 minutes!

Optional Objectives
    The mobs respawn in Chronoscope. Because of this I have heard leaders urge their party members to avoid the mobs and run from each primary objective to each primary objective. This is actually a terrible idea. First of all, fighting the trash mobs on the way and sticking together as a group is a good lesson to teach new players. Teaching them how to split into effective teams to deal with objectives faster is even better.

Divide healers up between groups, better yet, instruct healers to watch each other and split themselves. Instruct the rest to divide along relatively even numbers. Doing this, most of the optional objectives can be cleared in a matter of minutes. A simple way to do it is have one group go straight ahead from the Rusty Nail (towards the area where there are pawn brokers) while another group goes right (towards the Catacombs). Make sure your players know to take their time and control their aggro. Taking a few minutes to work on the optional objectives is a great team-building exercise and it will also help a raid leader get a feel for his team and make tactical adjustments if necessary. Noting things like squishy rangers or rogues and advising them to use ranged attacks against the purple-named bosses will help them to contribute to these battles without dying. Once each team has made it around to the bank, the leader should instruct everyone to wait inside (without moving) while he advances the story by talking to Tremas in the Phoenix Tavern.

Your First Purple
    Bloodplate is an intimidating opponent. He has massive hp compared to what you have already faced in getting to level 6 and he does an extraordinary amount of damage in area attacks. If you paid attention to the first part of this guide, you already know you should have sonic resistance. This is about the time you need to be advising your tanks to drink their sonic resistance pots if you didn't get it from guild buffs. Doing this alone will prevent your tanks from dropping like flies. Next, make sure that everyone understands you have to kill the armorers first. Bloodplate, like many purple-named bosses, fights in waves and the trick to this battle is understanding that his armorers will heal him between waves. The mechanic behind boss wave fights differs from raid to raid but learning that there is a pattern will be incredibly helpful to new players down the line.

Your Second Purple
    Razor Arm is a kitten compared to Bloodplate, at least in my experience. So defeating Bloodplate is akin to getting over the hump. However the trash mobs in the fight against Razor Arm are no joke. Those incredibly tough bearded devils seem to be ever more common in this fight and given the cramped quarters you have to stress to your tanks the need to protect your healers. Archers are also incredibly useful here since they can damage Razar Arm when he teleports out of melee range. Just make sure they understand that this might get them aggro. His elemental damage type changes. You can watch him closely for clues but its best to have any energy resistance available to you up for this fight.

Before The Tent
    Before you enter the tent, it is advisable that you now complete any optional objectives that you didn't complete from your first time around the marketplace. If not, you might find yourself coming up short on the devils needed to earn all three chests.

Enter The Tent
    Now you are ready for the final battle. The good news is that if you succeeded in getting here without undue difficulty you have an excellent chance of coming out of this fight relatively unscathed. The combined abishai can be tough, but somehow it seems to lack the punch of Bloodplate, especially if you have your energy resistances ready. Perhaps the most important part of this fight is to keep the combined abishai as stationary as possible to prevent overruns. Second of all, make sure your healers are defended from the bearded devils who port in from time to time.

If All Does Not Go According To Plan...
    Take heart. The raid isn't over. Sometimes you might get unlucky. The healers die early in the fight and there are no elf paladins to raise them; it happens. But one of the most important lessons you can learn is not to quit, especially in this raid because the devs have given you a free mulligan! That's right, if your party wipes you will all be teleported back to the Rusty Nail where you can resurrect and regroup. Just make sure if this does happen you remember to visit Veheer again to refresh your buffs. So aside from losing the 10% bonus to XP for no deaths, which can happen anyway (and is nothing to be ashamed of), you don't have recall out and redo the raid all over again. And you can even do repairs inside the Rusty Nail at the vendors if you need to. No other raids currently give you this redo opportunity, but it is there so you might as well take advantage of it if worse comes to worst.

Conclusion
    In summation, challenges can be rewarding. The loot is fantastic for a lowbie. The XP reward for Chronoscope is impressive for its level and that alone is likely to entice well-geared TRs to join you, which will (probably) improve your chances for success. And in addition, you contribute to expanding the knowledge and experience of new players in the DDO raiding mechanics. New players aren't going to learn anything by having a group of level 20s power them through this raid just so they can get loot. But they will learn an immense amount from taking on a challenge headfirst and learning how to use the tools available to them to succeed at a daunting task. They will also learn from failure. This raid is very forgiving. There are shrines everywhere and even on a wipe you get a do-over. Use these opportunities to learn from your mistakes, adapt your tactics, and succeed where you failed before. It builds character, literally and figuratively!

So what are you waiting for? Get out there and run your at-level Chronoscope group today!

Default I second

Great guide. Pretty much spot on, and anyone who follows it should be successful.

(You might add that Bloodplate throws out a nasty disease that ticks off like melf's, so any disease immunity items help prevent that.)

Recently our guild ran Chronoscope at level by combining characters from three different static groups.

We only had 11 players and an overall party level of 6 (5.8):

Rog -7
    Clr -7
    Fvs -7
    Barb -6
    Ftr -6
    Ftr - 6
    Wiz - 6
    Sor - 5
    Clr -5
    Bard - 5
    Barb - 4

Since these were static characters, no one was twinked; the majority of the gear was from what we've obtained in quests so far with the occasional AH score - but nothing named or rare. In fact, the gear we pulled out of the run was some of the best stuff most of our chars have ever seen.

The sorcerer had a rough go of it b/c he kept drawing a lot of aggro and would get one shotted, but we completed 2 of the 3 optionals (rescue defenders & air abishai) with only 1-2 deaths (besides the sorcerer). Someone got one-shotted by an assassin and I think a couple got lost or strayed from the group.

The Bloodplate fight was tough, but I don't recall anyone dying (I think the sorcerer might have survived that one as well).

The Razorarm fight was much easier and we finished that one pretty easily.

The five abishai weren't too problematic, but the combined abishai with the bearded devil consort was very tough.
    That was a VERY close fight and I think we lost nearly everyone under 6th level and had a total deathcount of 6 - just over half the group.

But we were victorious AT level, undermanned, without twinked gear, on our very first try for two reasons:

1- We stuck together as a group
    2- We stuck together as a group

Oh, and did I mention we were role-playing on top of everything else?

I encourage anyone who hasn't run this at level to give it a try. A PUG might be more difficult b/c you have more unknowns regarding players, but with good communication and leadership, it should be a good challenge. For twinked characters, this should be a walk in the park on normal.

Community Member hityawithastick's Avatar

Default Well done.

Awesome post. Time to PuG this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Dragons cant be vorped.
    Wait! Where are you going? Come back here and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcTharin View Post
    Hityawithastick, the super-naked dragon-slayer.

Thumbs up Waartribe is running this on khyber this Week!

Character's named ____waar or waar____ , or as a group "Waartribe", on the Khyber Server, plan on running Chronoscope at level this week.

We are a semi-static group of evenly leveled tri-class characters with at least one class of healer or caster.

We are all untwinked and only acquire our loot through chests and end rewards.

In short:

"From the wastelands of Xendrik, The barbarian horde "Waartribe" pushes on without crowd control, healing, or dps.

Self sufficient, soldiers of fortune, the Waartribe's strength is in its numbers.

With unshakable frenzy our enemies are quickly overwhelmed."
    "Khyber Server" The Crown Jewel of DDO Main Alts. Darkelvis, Thickelvis, Almostelvis, Holyelvis, Lil-elvis

The Waartribe ran with some help and was also sucessful by pretty much doing as was stated above except we didn't have a bard with us.

The, I believe, 5 Waartribe members (no twink, triple class builds where there can not be a gap of more than 1 level between classes) along with 7 normally built and ran characters met some stiff challenges but did succeed in their end goal. The 5 Tribe members would not partake in the vendors but to repair their gear. Others of the group were allowed to buy wands or flametouched weapons. It was a fun and glorious quest that I recommend highly for anyone to give a go at levels 5-8 on normal.
    Got a question the answer may be on the wiki! http://ddowiki.com

Talking Waartribe completes Chronoscope for xp!!

The real fun in completing Chronoscope at level for xp was the fact that most of the group was untwinked.

This gave us a real challenge as everyone was for the most part evenly equiped and we had to stick together as a team to complete this quest.
    And boy was it a challenge.... Those bosses were pretty tough to take down. In short it was one of the most fun experiences I've had in ddo in the last 3 years.

I'd like to thank all the "Waartribers" and friends of "Waartribe" who participated ;D
    "Khyber Server" The Crown Jewel of DDO Main Alts. Darkelvis, Thickelvis, Almostelvis, Holyelvis, Lil-elvis

First skirmish does not mean everyone should stand around waiting for the ambush. Simply have EVERYONE leave the arena and stand really far back from the opening to it...
    really far.

You will get one or two mobs at a time or as many as you want to handle with almost no resource loss.

If you cast invisibility on your clerics/healers the mobs will not attack them (as long as they only heal).

Optionals can be done AFTER the hard named fights are done. Quickest way is to invis EVERYONE and then run from battle to battle. Then do the optionals.
    If you waste all your resources doing tons and tons of trash battles you are more likely to have great issues with the real hard battles.

Invis healers...no aggro in almost all instances.

Casters - use blur on everyone. Ray of exhaustion on mobs man, really.

Fighters, trip..trip...trip....trip...trip. Devils go down easy as do the casters.

Quest does not end til you talk to the guy above...AFTER all the named battles, then do optionals if you must. Do this last as your party will not need to worry about resources for big battles anymore.
    Cannon fodder build The Stalwart Defender, Raid Tank
    Worst Shroud PUG EVER!!!!!! Epic Fail (started 1/13/10, necro'd 3/9/10, 4/20/10, raised dead 3/ 9/11, necro'd 4/9/11, 5/28/11, fame petition necro 8/5/11, necro'd 9/30/11, KIA 10/3/11, True reincarnated famed (by cleric Cordovan) 10/4/11,

Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
    Quest does not end til you talk to the guy above...AFTER all the named battles, then do optionals if you must. Do this last as your party will not need to worry about resources for big battles anymore.
    You have some good suggestions, but this one I disagree with, just because mistakes can happen. Someone who died goes to visit Veheer for buffs and accidentally finishes the quest; it can happen. That is why I find it best to finish the optionals before entering the center tent.

And thank everyone for your suggestions. I will be adding some of them to my guide soon. You will be credited for your contribution.

What sort of XP/minute can you manage in there?
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Always a hard raid. Should be a level 9 raid. In my opinion

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Great guide. I love doing Chronoscope at level and at least someone always expresses surprise at completing the quest at level.

And FYI, you can complete the quest first and then complete the optionals, the optional chests DO appear. This is not hearsay, I have actually done this. We beat boss before optionals, because if we couldn't do that, why bother with the optionals. And someone did accidentally end the quest, so we tried for optionals anyway, and what do you know, chests appeared! If you still don't believe, you'll find out one day when someone accidentally completes too early.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    XP/min wasn't bad at all when we ran it tonight (5-7 group, about 5-6 TR's)

6.8k for completion first time normal, 1.5 for 3 optionals, 1 k for the 4th; about 12.5k altogether.

I'm not 100% sure on the Completion time, but it was well under 20 minutes... might run it again in 3 if we all suck at lvling though. Maybe at-level (7-9) Elite?
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Great post. +1
    Sweep Pick or Die!
    Quote Originally Posted by JollySwagMan View Post
    But in terms of actual quest ideas, perhaps something where Halflings ride around on Warforged in battle-backpacks with shoulder-mounted repeating crossbows.

Thanks, will try this with my lowbie TR soon.
    Keeper Refugee
    Ghallanda: Warguth, Urgan, Cinderbeard, Gizzah, Soulblight, Xantilar

Community Member

nice guide!

Pugged this a couple of nights ago on hard, started with just two people and others kept joining as we were in progress (all of us got in before we entered the bank though)... in the end we had 11 people to join, no casters, 3 healerish types, lots of melees... in the end we completed in 47 minutes, had 16 deaths in total (some people just never learn to listen to the leader until it's too late)... half of the group were surprised we completed

Not to bash your guide or anything, it's great, but really there isn't a single quest/raid in the game that requires you to bring any specific classes to the instance, sure it helps but it's not necessary as long as the leader's competent

one point though, I never noticed bloodplate using sonic damage with his repeater, it's a fire repeater (95% sure ), I've never ran elite yet though... razor arm uses electricity on hard sometimes, but never noticed that on normal...

also, it's best for the squishies and mid or lower AC toons to stay away from bloodplate if he rages up, his damage gets to about 4x original and he hits much better than before (my 36 or so AC on my monk wasn't enough and he hit for about 40-50)...

some useful tips...
    (especially monks) carry weakening weapons... barbazus won't hurt anyone soon after...
    stunning fist/blow helps
    assign people to kill the casters first
    don't draw too much aggro
    avoid dungeon alert >.<

barbazus are difficult due to their random aggro mechanism but invisibility should help the casters, and a caster might succeed to entangle them in a web, especially with the combination of weakening weapons around.
    casters/archers should concentrate on the flying abishai first, to make them come down... after that they're easily killed... otherwise they'll just keep throwing fireballs at the group

I hope people won't be so afraid of this raid soon, I will be running somewhat regular pug chronoscopes at level on ghallanda as I level my TRs... feel free to join!

Quote Originally Posted by Zharfie View Post
    I hope people won't be so afraid of this raid soon, I will be running somewhat regular pug chronoscopes at level on ghallanda as I level my TRs... feel free to join!
    Feel free to send a tell to Urgan when you do. TR barbarian, lvl 4 at the moment but not for long .
    Keeper Refugee
    Ghallanda: Warguth, Urgan, Cinderbeard, Gizzah, Soulblight, Xantilar

I should note we did this with 1 lvl 7 Cleric and 2 Casters. I was the only WF, so I got to Tank the Abishai. The only hard part was at the beginning, where half of us were in Vent, and the other half wasn't, so the ones in Vent knew what was going on, but not the rest...contributed to a few deaths here and there overall... think the final count was somewhere between 5-15 for everyone combined... only 1 or 2 took more than 1 death though.

This raid is quite easy with a bit of knowledge and teamwork. Staying together made it even easier, as did having a few extra pots just in case =)
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    I have been able to pull good groups through in about 20 minutes. Best case scenario is completing all optionals with no deaths on a first-time completion. So assuming you can do that, here is what you get on normal.

First time + Flawless + Persistent + Conquest + Ransack = 7844 XP
    All Optionals = 5512 XP

Now if you can do that in 20 minutes, its 667.8 XP/min, which is pretty good for a 6th-level quest. Even if it takes you 30 minutes its 445.2. Even in the best groups there is usually one or two deaths, but even an at-level group can manage it. I've run a this several times with only one death. If the leader can identify the squishes early and take measures to keep them alive (tell them to use ranged or whatever) it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post

And FYI, you can complete the quest first and then complete the optionals, the optional chests DO appear.

This is true, but I recommend running through the market at least once killing trash before completing the main objective. The respawns stop after the main objective is completed. I did this with a zerging group once and we did only got one bonus chest because we didn't take any extra time to kill trash.

Weirdest loot run ever: 7-20 LFM.
    Somebody insisted on running ELITE.
    And they DID.
    0 xp. Wasted my first time bonus.
    But we made it and I completed my abishai set.
    Still, a weird run.
    * Live by the Pencil - My D&D-related Art * <-> * Focus Orb Paperbag - My Workaround for Helves *

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSpectre View Post
    Character's named ____waar or waar____ , or as a group "Waartribe", on the Khyber Server, plan on running Chronoscope at level this week.

We are a semi-static group of evenly leveled tri-class characters with at least one class of healer or caster.

We are all untwinked and only acquire our loot through chests and end rewards.

In short:

"From the wastelands of Xendrik, The barbarian horde "Waartribe" pushes on without crowd control, healing, or dps.

Self sufficient, soldiers of fortune, the Waartribe's strength is in its numbers.

With unshakable frenzy our enemies are quickly overwhelmed."
    I'm a proud member of the Waartribe. My charactor name is Velwaar. Just with crono alone, I earned all 5 pieces of the set. I have been playing the game since it first came out, back at level cap 10. This group brings me back to those days. Quests are supose to be fun. I can solo the quest on any of my toons above lv 12, running it at-level is way better and can be accomplished. if we can do it, anyone can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast