Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Best armor for dex based ranger?

OK, I'm not a min/maxer and I know that Dex rangers have been nerfed. I'm not going to TR this guy just so I can make him more useful. That being said, I currently have a non-buffed dex of 32, giving me a +11. So what should I be trying for? I seem to think that DT vestments or robes with +5 deflection and +4 insight (leaving chattering ring for the +3 dodge) is the way to go. I would lose more AC with leather because of the max on Dex. Is there something better? Thanks.

Icy Rainments

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    Icy Rainments
    Icy Rainments
    Dodge Bonus +4
    Protection +4
    Resistance+3

Hard to beat that. The Dodge is the important part as you will probably try for better protection and resistance items as well, but its a solid way to add 4 AC and you can still add chattering and insight bonuses (shrould weapon/TOD ring) on top of that

I understand that this is probably the best option for almost all dex. based characters. It still makes me sick to think that the best option for my ranger or rogue is a friggin' dress.
    Thornton, Human Ranger (Sarlona&Cannith)
    Azhik, Dwarf Tempest
    Thrum, Dwarf Hunter of Undead
    Wencislaus, Human Radiant Servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I understand that this is probably the best option for almost all dex. based characters. It still makes me sick to think that the best option for my ranger or rogue is a friggin' dress.
    welcome 2 ddo i even see fighters and paladins wearing robes, and these are fighers and paladins without a monk splash or being dex based, the reason why they wear robes is that its faster to switch between robes and theres no real benifit for them to be wearing heavy armour.
    Last edited by NaturalHazard; 01-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    welcome 2 doo i even see fighters and paladins wearing robes, and these are fighers and paladins without a monk splash or being dex based, the reason why they wear robes is that its faster to switch between robes and theres no real benifit for them to be wearing heavy armour.
    The part where there is no real benefit from wearing armor is what really makes me ill about the state of AC in the game
    Azhik, Dwarf Tempest

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

The part where there is no real benefit from wearing armor is what really makes me ill about the state of AC in the game
    You mean PnP? Got news for you. Best AC you could get in table top is also the same route.

The difference is that the mobs were so over powered in table top such that an AC of 40 or so actually meant something there.

It's not a dress, it's Pajamas!!! At least they left the flap out of the back of them. :-P
    Proud member of
    Shadows of the Dragon

It's the best option for DEX based characters. Dex based characters are supposed to be so nimble that restrictive armor actually makes it worst.
    Besides, it's not a dress. It's a vestment. If we had better skins you could change it and make it look like regular "fantasy-like" leather.

Armor has it's uses for other classes with different stats.
    So far most characters that have enough Dex invested to get TWF are generally better served with no armor. But that's also not true. The armor just takes up a different slot. You still need armored bracers, so you still use up the same number of slots.

In a magical world armor is beaten by magic. Even magical armor is beaten by magical weapons.

People just like to rage about it, but the real problem is the skins, not the armor.

Community Member

But wouldn't DT vestments be better? +6 armor bonus and then you can get +5 deflection, +4 insight +5 resist? Then you still get +3 dodge from your ring slot if you get Chattering and your natural from Bark Skin. Does Icy get +6 base armor like DT does? I thought Icy doesn't have a base armor rating or is it just not stated?

If you go for AC you can get +8 armor from bracers, so raiments are still better than DT.
    Cannith - Juzam, Water Savant II Ranger 6 Monk 2 AA/ Orocarn, Stalwart Defender III Monk 2 / Taigongwanng, Sorc TRing - Guardiani di Eberron

Is not entirely wrong in high magic campaigns because armor is somewhat obsolete just like with firearms in rl.
    What is wrong is to have all outfits be the style of monks and all robes be fancy.
    There's a lot of threads asking for proper rogue/bard/ranger/ninja clothing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FengXian View Post
    If you go for AC you can get +8 armor from bracers, so raiments are still better than DT.
    Good thought, but then the precludes you from using any bonus sets like Leviks or Tharnes which I have been working toward. Both almost require the use of the bracers in any non-shield using build.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleth View Post
    But wouldn't DT vestments be better? +6 armor bonus and then you can get +5 deflection, +4 insight +5 resist? Then you still get +3 dodge from your ring slot if you get Chattering and your natural from Bark Skin. Does Icy get +6 base armor like DT does? I thought Icy doesn't have a base armor rating or is it just not stated?
    Because +4 dodge and +3 dodge stack. The non-stacking armor, insight, and deflection bonuses are found easily on other equipment.

If you're building for AC, get the Icy Raiments. If you are just a finesse build, get the DT outfit/robe.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Maleth View Post
    Good thought, but then the precludes you from using any bonus sets like Leviks or Tharnes which I have been working toward. Both almost require the use of the bracers in any non-shield using build.
    You can also use the Epic Siren's Belt to get +8 Armor Class, and if you can complete that set you get the +4 insight bonus there too.

I'll disagree with this statement. For a long time people had convinced me that armor is of no benefit but being stubborn I decided to try and make a tempest III with reasonable AC. Being a legend build (36 points) I could play with some skills. I managed to keep my strength close to 40, HP over 500 and have 77 AC (With ship buffs, raid buffs, a Pali, Icy, and +8 wrists, +4 insight Min II, bar, etc) Standing with only bark and ship buffs it's usually 70. I consider myself a STR build as my STR is 10 higher than my DEX (30 DEX) and I use khopeshes not rapiers.

I love it! From 1-19 I was all but untouched. I am able to tank the dragons in Tor on Elite with little to no healing, I can hate tank Sulu on normal VoD (haven't tried hard/elite but I think it won't keep aggro on harder settings). I did Elite Devil's Assult with only a heal bot (which spent most of the time as a soul stone on the ground) Even the final boss in New Invasion (Normal) I could just stand in front of and DPS away with no fear of damage. The only issue I've found is Epic where my AC might as well be 0. They only miss on a 1 it seems. Epic aside, it has been one of the most enjoyable builds I've played and has proven to me (outside Epic) that AC really can matter. My DPS is still high enough to be highly useful and my HP is high enough that I rarely die. I don't think I could realistically get my AC higher without sacrificing too much on the DPS side, but then again I haven't tried.

That's what people mean, though. You have good AC and you wear Icy Raiments. If you were trying to make a build that used actual armor it would be a lot harder to have good AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    I'll disagree with this statement. For a long time people had convinced me that armor is of no benefit but being stubborn I decided to try and make a tempest III with reasonable AC. Being a legend build (36 points) I could play with some skills. I managed to keep my strength close to 40, HP over 500 and have 77 AC (With ship buffs, raid buffs, a Pali, Icy, and +8 wrists, +4 insight Min II, bar, etc) Standing with only bark and ship buffs it's usually 70. I consider myself a STR build as my STR is 10 higher than my DEX (30 DEX) and I use khopeshes not rapiers.

I love it! From 1-19 I was all but untouched. I am able to tank the dragons in Tor on Elite with little to no healing, I can hate tank Sulu on normal VoD (haven't tried hard/elite but I think it won't keep aggro on harder settings). I did Elite Devil's Assult with only a heal bot (which spent most of the time as a soul stone on the ground) Even the final boss in New Invasion (Normal) I could just stand in front of and DPS away with no fear of damage. The only issue I've found is Epic where my AC might as well be 0. They only miss on a 1 it seems. Epic aside, it has been one of the most enjoyable builds I've played and has proven to me (outside Epic) that AC really can matter. My DPS is still high enough to be highly useful and my HP is high enough that I rarely die. I don't think I could realistically get my AC higher without sacrificing too much on the DPS side, but then again I haven't tried.
    But you are not wearing ARMOR. That was the whole point of my statement.
    Azhik, Dwarf Tempest

I guess I define armor as something which provides AC. The icy gives me AC, so I call it armor - but I see your point.

As far as thematically a Ranger shouldn't be wearing Metal Armor. A Chain shirt is the max because of the light armor requirements of Evasion.

In movies and books the Ranger character is typically dressed in leathers. Or really just fantasy-type leather or cloth with a cloak and hood.

So, yes an Icy Raiment is Armor, in that it gives magical protection to the wearer. If you're thinking of metal armor you're thinking of other classes, not Rangers. If you figure Dex Rangers will have +10 modifiers in Dex (at least), you see that even Padded Leathers will become obsolete, since it has a max Dex of +8. Only Dwarven Rangers can expand the Dex Modifier of Armors further.

Once again, the problem is the skins. What you want is the traditional garb of a Ranger or Rogue, which looks a bit like Padded Leathers instead of Vestments (pajamas) or Robes (dresses). Or "medieval-looking" cloth with a Cloak and Hood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast