Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Community Member

Any thoughts to updating this to account for the recently changed cleave animation?
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

Lightbulb Suggestions for Weapons as of ending U11

I am just throwing these out there, because I seem to be much better at gearing than selecting feats / enhancements, and the list could use an update whenever you get around to it.

I used Barrage to choose these and I currently wield all of them on my barb. The goal here is to provide for absolute max DPS, while combining functions to reduce item space.

+5 Vicious Adamantine Greataxe of Everbright

Everybody forgets about this. You need an anti-ooze and anti-rust monster weapon on you at nearly all levels, because those things pop up often. This one is available as early as lvl 15, but you can keep using it through rainbow and epic deneith / phiarlan as needed. Yes, a similar lootgen with festival icy burst can offer slightly more dps, but some oozes are immune to cold. Vicious is 2d12 and irresistible, so no thought needed there.

+5 Anarchic Burst Adamantine Greataxe of Greater Construct Bane

This weapon has been deprecated to only one function: Epic Marut killer. Granted it isn't worth much else for going through so much effort to craft, but it DOES cut through chaotic, which is very important for anyone who runs evon3 often. 10 DR is actually enough to pull the Epic Sword of Shadow below this greataxe. People who want to have max DPS against the Epic Marut or any other Inevitable in the game will appreciate this weapon more. But if you can get your hands on an ESoS + chaotic augment, use that instead!

Alchemical Greataxe (Triple Water)

For elementals, obviously. There are plenty of epic elementals I could name and even more bosses. Because fire is considered to be the most common and dangerous elemental, and because it's the only one that has a weakness, I chose triple water for extreme bonus damage. This is also ideal DPS for mudmen, air, water, and earth. You could go with an earthgrabber, but those produce rather unreliable and short-lived debuffs. It's also useless against bosses, such as Hellfire in epic Devil Assault.
    Last edited by Wraith_Sarevok; 01-04-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: U12.2 - Updated to include alchemical weapons and changes from the blasting chime.

A few thoughts on new/recent barb gear, hopefully to build on Shade's work and offer alternatives.

-Flesh shapers brigandine. Easily acquired and comparable to all but the most ideal DT armour options. I keep 2 each with a different proc.-Displacement proc. Excellent for soloing, particularly Amrath -Obsession proc +100% hate. Ideal for hate tanking. You will not lose aggro.
    Fabricators set (gauntlets/bracers) Again, easy to get and an excellent placeholder while you try and get epic gear for the slots. +2 damage/to hit as a set bonus and individual properties of the items are very useful (10% melee alacrity, +15 balance, cannith combat infusion)
    Epic Antique Greataxe. In terms of epic quests, this is very easy to acquire. The snitch (seal) can even be shortmanned with hirelings thanks to the predictable nature of mob encounters. All you need is a lucky few runs on the big top (shard)-harder now admittedly-and you're most of the way there. The axe itself is brutal, offering huge crits, often in the 1100-1200 range in the right situations, and I noticed a big leap in DPS from the lit2 I was using previously. (Note my comments on this are purely anecdotal and have not been backed up by spreadsheets or the barrage tool.)

i has some questions : o.

for a first life, 32 pt human, weapons are either lit II/ epic antique GA vs. Lit II/ +4 HB silver of GLOB

is TWF or THF better dps vs. single target? (thf is better vs. multitarget for sure)
    if i go TWF, should i rogue splash or ftr splash? rog seems to add nice trapping skills along with evasion while ftr's two feats dont seem too important... but everyone seems to take 2 ftr which gives me pause.

for THF, Gaxe or Falchion?
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

I am updating a previous post I made here earlier: Post #302 on this page. To replace weapons that are now obsolete because of the changes introduced in U12.

I will likely be updating them again as Turbine continues to introduce changes into the game.

Also adding that every melee should carry a Blasting Chime (trinket) to reduce construct fort by -20%. It causes the ESoS to pull ahead of any smiting weapon in the game. I prefer the Tier 3 lvl 16 version because I can craft 33% electrical absorption onto it.
    Last edited by Wraith_Sarevok; 01-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that a +5 Vicious Icy Burst Great-whatever of Greater Elemental Bane is better DPS vs. elementals than the triple cold alchemical. Obviously subject to loot-gen, but a straight-up Icy Burst or Vicious crafted one is probably also better.

Fairly certain that a Lit II falchion is way ahead of the Epic Antique against anything that doesn't require the Metalline portion of the EAG.

Let's assume base damage of 75 (pretty low) -- EAG would actually be 78 w/ +6 and Righteousness. Assuming Seeker +6; glances as (avg base damage of weapon + base damage)*0.5*0.75 for GTHF.

EAG
    Barrage - 114.9; glancing blows: 35.4; total = 150.3

Lit II
    Barrage - 125.8; glancing blows: 30.8; total = 156.6

Lit II is still ahead at 25% Fort, but the two are about even, probably beyond that--Lit II's base stays ahead all the way to 100% Fort, but the glancing blows edge that the EAG has brings it just slightly ahead.

Against anything without DR (or just DR/Good) the Lit II is the superior choice...as a Falchion. A Greataxe version ends up a little behind on base damage and a little ahead on glancing blows individually, and is close to even at 75 base damage, but as your damage goes up, the Falchion pulls further and further ahead. It's entirely likely that a geared-out barbarian will be at around 85 base damage.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that a +5 Vicious Icy Burst Great-whatever of Greater Elemental Bane is better DPS vs. elementals than the triple cold alchemical. Obviously subject to loot-gen, but a straight-up Icy Burst or Vicious crafted one is probably also better.
    It's not actually, but for a couple of very good reasons:

- Crushing Wave and Corrosive Salt both add a surprising amount of total damage, on the level of Lightning Strike procs. CW is 10.5 average DPS and CS is 5.6 as opposed to LS at 9.15 going by the wiki. This greataxe is just as powerful as a similar Lightning Strike weapon except maybe that it can't do as much burst damage.

- Freezing Ice is basically earthgrab for elementals. I read somewhere a long time ago that it insta kills fire creatures, but I never bothered to test it on trash. If true: vorpal effect on epic fire elementals is worth gold! Even if it's not true, you still hold them helpless for 9 seconds when they fail the save and that gives you plenty of time to take 150% damage pot shots.

- Fire elementals, as mentioned before, take 150-200% damage from cold attacks (varies depending on difficulty / quest). This is way more total damage than any Lightning Strike weapon can do.

- 10% chance to proc Fire Shield (Cold) automatically cuts fire elemental damage in half for ~1.5 minutes.

Granted all of that, this is still an incredibly hard weapon to craft due to having to run eLoB/eMA several times to get the right spirit and the shards. But then again, this is an endgame-level weapon. It's meant for taking on epic mobs and bosses.
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith_Sarevok View Post
    It's not actually, but for a couple of very good reasons:
    - Crushing Wave and Corrosive Salt both add a surprising amount of total damage, on the level of Lightning Strike procs. CW is 10.5 average DPS and CS is 5.6 as opposed to LS at 9.15 going by the wiki. This greataxe is just as powerful as a similar Lightning Strike weapon except maybe that it can't do as much burst damage.
    - Freezing Ice is basically earthgrab for elementals. I read somewhere a long time ago that it insta kills fire creatures, but I never bothered to test it on trash. If true: vorpal effect on epic fire elementals is worth gold! Even if it's not true, you still hold them helpless for 9 seconds when they fail the save and that gives you plenty of time to take 150% damage pot shots.
    - Fire elementals, as mentioned before, take 150-200% damage from cold attacks (varies depending on difficulty / quest). This is way more total damage than any Lightning Strike weapon can do.
    - 10% chance to proc Fire Shield (Cold) automatically cuts fire elemental damage in half for ~1.5 minutes.
    Granted all of that, this is still an incredibly hard weapon to craft due to having to run eLoB/eMA several times to get the right spirit and the shards. But then again, this is an endgame-level weapon. It's meant for taking on epic mobs and bosses.
    At tier II, that would be Icy Burst, Corrosive Salt and Crushing Wave. We can eliminate the Icy Burst as my suggestion is to either Icy Burst a Vicious Greater Bane or craft an Icy Burst Greater Bane (slightly less damage than Vicious against non-fire elementals and slightly more against fire eles), which leaves Greater Bane vs. Corrosive Salt and Crushing Wave. The bane is doing 14.5 damage on average every hit, while the current figures for the two procs puts them at 16.1, or +2 damage. If you're lucky enough to go the Risia route, the Vicious damage then puts the Greater Bane ahead by 5.

If Freezing Ice works consistently, I'd say it's worthwhile, but I wouldn't craft one of these just for elementals, particularly since there are so few really dangerous ones. It is useful for other things, and if that's your intent, then I'd say go for it, but it's an awful lot of work for an elemental beater.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

i has some questions : o.

for a first life, 32 pt human, weapons are either lit II/ epic antique GA vs. Lit II/ +4 HB silver of GLOB

is TWF or THF better dps vs. single target? (thf is better vs. multitarget for sure)
    if i go TWF, should i rogue splash or ftr splash? rog seems to add nice trapping skills along with evasion while ftr's two feats dont seem too important... but everyone seems to take 2 ftr which gives me pause.

for THF, Gaxe or Falchion?
    The Cannith crafted weapon is ahead of both the Lit II and EAG, as a falchion.

Some people seem to prefer their axes, but I don't know what that's about vs. non-Heavy Fort.

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    The Cannith crafted weapon is ahead of both the Lit II and EAG, as a falchion.

Some people seem to prefer their axes, but I don't know what that's about vs. non-Heavy Fort.
    I agree with that. The falchion base damage is lower than that of an axe, but most axes crit on a 20, 19 with improved crit, whilst I crit on a 17 with my falchion, (a 15 on my keen falchion), so overall with the extra number of crits I can do more damage from burst effect and bold trinket effect proccing morebecause of the greater crit range. Personally I interchange my weapons depending on the mobs I fight, the antique great axe is really good for most things, but my bloody cleaver with life shield and human bane comes in handy in a fair few quests as well. As a Barb, you will get proficiency in both weapons so just carry a few and play with them to see what works better against different mobs.

It also depends on your level range and access to the gear, (multiple toons, adventure packs owned etc). I had my antique GA from lvl 4, as it was sitting in my shared bank. You might not have that luxory. Carnifax is a pretty decent min level 4 axe, and the hellstroke axe isn't bad either.
    Thelanis;

Community Member

At first, I thought, "Wow, this is ridiculous."

But I get it now.

Shade, this is, hands down, THE best troll-post I have ever seen.

Shade -

Love your stuff. I had high hopes of reading your Dwarf pages as I remember doing long ago -- but I was sadly mistaken!

Are you aware that your links are busted?

Regards,

Cormek

Quote Originally Posted by witchdoctor90 View Post
    Shade -

Love your stuff. I had high hopes of reading your Dwarf pages as I remember doing long ago -- but I was sadly mistaken!

Are you aware that your links are busted?

Regards,

Cormek
    You realize you necroed a thread that had been dead since 2012, and that the info in this thread is largely outdated?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516