Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Default Know Your Enemy: Frost Giants

It's Monster Monday! Each wintry week in January we're focusing on a fearsome DDO foe, and today we're feeling fairly frozen learning about Frost Giants! Click here to read more, and feel free to add your own tips, pictures, and guides about this week's featured monster!

You strangely forgot to mention they have permanent deathblock (ward?) and can't be charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by RTN View Post
    You strangely forgot to mention they have permanent deathblock (ward?) and can't be charmed.
    Maybe you just aren't charming enough

I haven't had the spell hit for me. But I firmly believe I've had at least several Refuge giants at least slightly impressed by me.
    INFERUS SUS Sorcs (Socky, Sockie, Socklin), Rogues (Sockpuppet, Sockum), Clerics (Sockington, Sockase), FVS (Sockle), Intim (Tubesocks), Bards (Sockdolenger, Sockish), Rangers (Sockin, Sockel), Wizzy (Sockut), Kensai (Sockt), Monk (Sockfist), Arty (Sockficer, Sockcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by RTN
    That is due to the fact that all current frost giants reside in the Reaver's Refuge storyline and have the Sorjek's Command effect (Immunity to compulsions, 90% attribute damage ward, deathblock). If frost giants were added outside of the story arc in other places these aspects wouldn't be likely to carry over.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    That is due to the fact that all current frost giants reside in the Reaver's Refuge storyline and have the Sorjek's Command effect (Immunity to compulsions, 90% attribute damage ward, deathblock). If frost giants were added outside of the story arc in other places these aspects wouldn't be likely to carry over.
    you mean like Tempest Spine, where the fire caves are populated by fire giants and the ice caves are of course populated with hill giants
    Fallen former minion of the Gelatinous Cube
    Proud Member of Ascent
    Arko Highstar
    Arckos Highstar

Quote Originally Posted by ArkoHighStar View Post
    you mean like Tempest Spine, where the fire caves are populated by fire giants and the ice caves are of course populated with hill giants
    Pff those ice caves aren't nearly cold enough to suit a Frost Giant's tastes. Too close to that icky lava.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Pff those ice caves aren't nearly cold enough to suit a Frost Giant's tastes. Too close to that icky lava.
    Now if we could just fashion a jacket for them made of ice mephits, we might be able to convince them to move in--and then charm the pants off of them.
    INFERUS SUS Sorcs (Socky, Sockie, Socklin), Rogues (Sockpuppet, Sockum), Clerics (Sockington, Sockase), FVS (Sockle), Intim (Tubesocks), Bards (Sockdolenger, Sockish), Rangers (Sockin, Sockel), Wizzy (Sockut), Kensai (Sockt), Monk (Sockfist), Arty (Sockficer, Sockcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCheese
    Now if we could just fashion a jacket for them made of ice mephits, we might be able to convince them to move in--and then charm the pants off of them.
    If the jacket is made of ice mephits I shutter to think of what the pants are made of...
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    Correct, those sorts of things are very quest-specific, but I don't see the harm in adding a tip like that down under one of the other sub headings.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
    Maybe you just aren't charming enough

I haven't had the spell hit for me. But I firmly believe I've had at least several Refuge giants at least slightly impressed by me.
    That's because, like them, you rarely shower. They recognize your...aroma.

Oh, and +1 to Mr. Cow for his explanation.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

I like the little stories that go with these segments. Things like this are missing from the main game of DDO.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

I always thought Nimbus was a frost giant. You know the one who gives you the prison of the planes quest, and the one you have kill in Tor.

EDIT: I guess not... because the others in the GH area are called Sky Knights... must be implying Cloud Giants
    Last edited by Musouka; 01-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka View Post
    I always thought Nimbus was a frost giant. You know the one who gives you the prison of the planes quest, and the one you have kill in Tor.
    I think he is a Storm Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Musouka
    Nimbus ar'Yorg is a Cloud Giant.
    Server - Thelanis

"The Coin Lords assure citizens that snow and ice ramps of the Risia Ice Games are not capable of attracting Frost Giants into the city despite the Giant's affinity for the cold."

Ha. That gave me a chuckle. It would be pretty awesome if the harbor got invaded by them next ice games. Despite the reassurance from the Coin Lords. Imagine the chaos?

Wink

The coin lords warning its pretty funny maybe in the next risia games u could add a warning sign : "For ur safety this games are Frost Giant Free"

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
    Why are you trying to get the Frost Giant's pants off?

Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you want a challange, grab 5 strangers, park them at the quest entrance and then solo the quest

if you want even more challange, let those 5 help you

It also forgets to mention that these giants have e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. . .s.l.o.w. attack speeds, yet so many hitpoints that fighting them takes a while. All of this combines to make combat with them feel like fighting in treacle, and the fact that they are immune to so many things leaves you few options.

Sorry, I *really* wanted to see Frost Giants in game, but IMO the actual implementation of them is just - dull. They'd be quite fun to fight if you gave them a permanent 40% melee and ranged alacrity and reduced their HP to compensate.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

They are not immune to the Holy Aura blindness effect or Energy Drain/Ennervation........both help a lot when fighting them.

Learn a thing or two about hockey too...because while fighting these guys u will spend much of your time believing you are a puck.

Quote Originally Posted by vVAnjilaVv View Post

Learn a thing or two about hockey too...because while fighting these guys u will spend much of your time believing you are a puck.
    Heh, that's probably why they a.t.t.a.c.k . s.o . s.l.o.w.l.y - perhaps instead of knocking back on every attack, they should knockback only on a critical threat or vorpal strike.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast