Thread: Phantom Arrows

Default Phantom Arrows

Devs,

I am not sure what changes were made when you changed the sound of the arrows firing but it really seems since that day the number of phantom arrows has increased a lot.

We have all had them, when you fire your bow but no arrow is fired, no attack roll, nothing. I just got done doing Foundation and had a series of 4 in a row when firing at an elemental. That is getting a little ridiculous in my opinion.

When you combine the increase in these phantoms with the abysmal point blank shooting that was supposed to have been addressed, it is just not fun to play a ranged character right now.

Another thing that seems to be getting worse is the shots at low profile creatures, mostly animals and vermin. Unless you drop your camera angle down to a more head on shot the arrow seems to continually miss these creatures, doubly if you are moving, and the chance of getting any sort of improved precise shot on these low profile creatures is near impossible unless you drop the camera angle.

I know you said that ranged combat would be getting a pass over in the future and I can wait for a polish pass, but please move up the priority of these phantom arrows and just plain bad arrow tracking.

I don't play my ranged character much any more for these very reasons.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

It's true, it definitely happens. Obviously real-time combat over the wire has its issues with latency and prediction, but I hope in this case the cure (massively increased TH range) isn't worse than the disease (misses) as it was with melee. I would still like to dodge arrows.

It happened before the sound changes too.

I think the updated sound just brought more people to notice there was an issue.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Try not using 'composite' type bows.....
    Junior Vice President of the Sen* Group
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    ....running things on elite is generally good for you. Puts hair on your chest, keeps you regular (sometimes both*), and at least in recent content and going forward, improves odds of named loot in chests......

I can easily duplicate the problem by trying to fire again while the reloading animation is not finished, or close to being done; doing that almost guarantees you "firing" again with no arrow. The problem is even worse on repeaters, due to the reloading taking place in the middle of the 3 shots, and is very difficult to undo without it happening again.. stuck waiting until I completely reload each time is the only way I am able to work around the issue, but slows down my attack rate even further.. something has to get done, and I can't think of anything right offhand due to this seeming like a coding issue more than something else they can add to correct this.

This is a serious enough issue (although I do prefer new content, I would love to be able to use my bow in confidence that my shots will go off, and maybe take my repeater rogue out of the trash bin), and hopefully sometime soon we'll get something more concrete than "its being reviewed for an overhaul, which is years in waiting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eistander View Post
    I can easily duplicate the problem by trying to fire again while the reloading animation is not finished, or close to being done; doing that almost guarantees you "firing" again with no arrow. The problem is even worse on repeaters, due to the reloading taking place in the middle of the 3 shots, and is very difficult to undo without it happening again.. stuck waiting until I completely reload each time is the only way I am able to work around the issue, but slows down my attack rate even further.. something has to get done, and I can't think of anything right offhand due to this seeming like a coding issue more than something else they can add to correct this.

This is a serious enough issue (although I do prefer new content, I would love to be able to use my bow in confidence that my shots will go off, and maybe take my repeater rogue out of the trash bin), and hopefully sometime soon we'll get something more concrete than "its being reviewed for an overhaul, which is years in waiting now.
    Lost shots can also happen when just holding the button to attack and standing totally still vs the Training Dummy.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

I wondered if this was something to do with a change in detection mechanics for firing off a shot, as I've also noticed a much higher frequency of no arrow being fired at all, not even a dice roll.

It seems to me after running round the Vale a while testing that cone containing the angles in which you have to be facing to fire a shot has been narrowed. What I mean is that it feels that there is less forgiveness in how off centre you can be, as I've noticed the arrows that don't fire occur far more if I'm backpedal kiting something and my view is off whilst circle strafing.

In other oddities, whilst I was playing about testing this I noted that the proc you sometimes get from Imp Prec Shot on a mob just behind the one you have targetted, which usually only happens when they are very close (almost on top of each other), just happened on a mob about 120ft behind my target.

Quote Originally Posted by slimkj View Post
    In other oddities, whilst I was playing about testing this I noted that the proc you sometimes get from Imp Prec Shot on a mob just behind the one you have targetted, which usually only happens when they are very close (almost on top of each other), just happened on a mob about 120ft behind my target.
    Thats how I operate, if I can't hit a second enemy way off in the distance I know i'm either A. Sleep Deprived or B. Drunk or C. Sick. Arrows travel forever so it's possible to hit a lot of enemies with ips.

On the lost arrow deal I havn't noticed an increase of it, though I do still have to jump shot low profile creatures.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Community Member

Sorry I'm not sure I was clear. If I understand IPS correctly, what you should get is the mob you have targeted is the final target, and the arrow passes through everything on the way to that mob? This goes past the target and procs on an enemy I don't have either targeted or between myself and the target, but one waaaay beyond the target.

Quote Originally Posted by slimkj View Post
    Sorry I'm not sure I was clear. If I understand IPS correctly, what you should get is the mob you have targeted is the final target, and the arrow passes through everything on the way to that mob? This goes past the target and procs on an enemy I don't have either targeted or between myself and the target, but one waaaay beyond the target.
    IPS arrows continue until they hit a solid object or reach whatever the actual limit of arrow travel is in this game.

For example, ogre directly in front of you with a goblin behind it, you have the goblin targeted...

No Precise Shot: arrow hits and stops at ogre.
    Precise Shot: arrow passes through ogre, hits and stops at goblin.
    Imp. Precise Shot: arrow passes through and hits ogre, passes through and hits goblin, stops at wall (or floor due to height of goblin).
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

Really?! Never knew that last bit about passing through the target too. I guess I've been playing all this time and just never noticed it on very far away beyond-target mobs before... wow. I assumed it worked as described and stopped at the target, passing through (and proccing on) all on the way there;

Your targeted ranged attacks will now pass through and damage all foes in your path until they reach your intended target.
    I'd noticed hit stuff just behind now and again but assumed that was just some error margin in the calcs of proximity.

This is WAI. Turbine finally heard the cries of repeater users. "Help us!" they cried. "Longbows are significantly out-DPSing us due to the missing bolts!"

And so Turbine made every third arrow disappear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visty View Post
    if you want a challange, grab 5 strangers, park them at the quest entrance and then solo the quest

if you want even more challange, let those 5 help you