Community Member

Default Random Computer Restart

OK, I am looking for assistance with this issue. For some reason, my husband's computer will automatically restart while playing DDO. So far it has NOT happened during a quest or in an explorable area, but HAS occurred while in a public area. Stats for his computer are as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
    Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz Processor
    1 GB of RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Radeon FX 9250 Graphics Card

I did change the video card. He originally had a GeForce 5200 in it, but I thought if I gave him mine it would stop the restarts. No dice. (Before anyone asks, I never had a restart issue with the Radeon card.) Also, I tore his computer down and cleaned everything. There was a moderate amount of dust inside alot of the stuff. I also downloaded Speed Fan and have been monitoring the temperature. Before I cleaned the computer out, it was running at 44 degrees C and now its between 33 - 35 degrees C. I also disabled the auto-restart and yet it still restarts with NO blue screen of death. I also checked to see if there were any error logs. There are none. No message or anything, just a random restart. It only has a restart issue when he's playing DDO. He can play anything else (including Guild Wars), as well as browse online, etc with no restart. I was wondering. He only has 6% free space left. Could a lack of free space cause this? If so, what would be a good recommended free space amount his computer should have to avoid restarts with DDO? Is there anything else I could try to do to fix this issue?

He did have Norton Anti-Virus installed before, as well as Kaspersky. Could there be anything left that didn't uninstall or left over files causing issues? I read a thread someplace here that someone had traces of Norton left on his computer and it probably was messing up DDO. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BSoDs are commanly in the error file... do you have it saveign a dump file?

try this

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...h-information/

its what i use. then its just a matter of takeing the hex code and sorting out whats giving you the issue.
    (but not always, some of the hex codes are "not well documented" or "missleading"

6% free space is not enough... not even close. time to back up some of that. as for freespace more is always better if you have it set for windows desiding cashe size.

when was the last reinstall/repair of xp?

does the sound get stuck before it happens? any large hardrive activity?

also does your power supply have enough oomph to run everything?

have you tried turning down the graphics settings?

try cleaning your registry http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm make sure to back it up first. this should take care of any pescky left overs.

I had a simaler problem a while ago. turned out to be the power supply was under powered and at end of life, when the video card stressed out with draw distance on high in town my system would just reset. but everything else is still good steps in the process to figure it out.

ill subscribe this thread but I'll be off line till later this afternoon (EST)

hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Hireling: "Oh god, you're in trouble!" *heal fail* "Oh god, you're still in trouble!!" *heal fail* "Nooooo I will save you!!!" *heal fail* etc. but to the player, it just looked like the hireling was standing there staring off into space. He's not staring...he's thinking...REALLY hard.

Community Member

Problem is he doesn't get any BSoDs. >< There are no error files or logs either. So since 6% isn't enough free space (which I know you should have at least 15% for Disk Defragmenter to run properly0, how much should be recommended to be free in order for DDO to run properly?

In regards to reinstall/repair of windows XP, its only been installed once. I installed it to get rid of Windows Vista. I've been figuring its about due for a re-install correct?

I haven't heard the sound sticking or freezing just before the re-starts occur. What do you mean by large hard drive activity?

Power Supply has never been an issue before. Its always managed anything he's done with his computer. He has played a lot of Guild Wars and no trouble with restarts. In fact, he's had Guild Wars, Firefox with multiple tabs, streaming music, and a flash game open at the same time and still no restart issues. Before you ask, I am not sure what size the power supply is. I should have looked when I had the computer apart last night. >< Still if its the power supply, why hasn't it shut down the PC before now? What would make it draw more power? Also, just on the off chance it would be the power supply, is it only going to continue restarts with DDO or is it going to go out altogether?? ><

I have just adjusted the graphics settings to very low so we'll have to see how that goes, but when I had that Radeon video card in my computer, I could have it set to custom and adjust it how I needed and no restarts on my computer. I know it can't be his current video card.

I greatly appreciate your help and advice. I'll be trying those recommendations you posted and update tonight. I've been up all night working on his computer & am very tired. I'm hoping that we can find the problem and fix it!

Edit: I should read better instead of repeating suggestions...
    Last edited by Eladiun; 01-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Community Member

I have just discovered some mini dump error messages that I didn't find before. I'm not sure what they mean or are. i'm going to attempt to get them read or whatever needs done and post that here too. hopefully, that will tell us what exactly is causing the restarts.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NecromancerQueen View Post
    I have just discovered some mini dump error messages that I didn't find before. I'm not sure what they mean or are. i'm going to attempt to get them read or whatever needs done and post that here too. hopefully, that will tell us what exactly is causing the restarts.
    If the timestamps on the dmp files match the restart occurance(s) it should yield the faulting driver/system files.

Community Member

If the timestamps on the dmp files match the restart occurance(s) it should yield the faulting driver/system files.
    From what I can see, they do. I'm trying to get a program now that will be able to read them so we will know exactly what has been crashing or what is faulty in the system/drivers.

EDIT: Um, ok I have managed to download something called BlueScreenView. It allows me to view the dump files and it lists the reasons for BSoDs, reds dump files, etc. According to every dmp file, it says "Caused by Driver: RtkHDAud.sys" It also says as for Bug Check String that it is an Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap. What on earth is that??

I already know what the RtkHDAud is. Its his Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver. Can an audio driver seriously cause DDO to crash?! Also, does anyone have a solution as to how I can fix this driver?

Also, it lists under that in a separate little window a bunch of things that apparently crashed because of this or something, maybe I am misreading things. In that list, it lists something from Kaspersky, but he has uninstalled it a while ago. Why is it still in there??
    Last edited by NecromancerQueen; 01-07-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by NecromancerQueen View Post
    Can an audio driver seriously cause DDO to crash?! Also, does anyone have a solution as to how I can fix this driver?
    Yes it can.
    Update it using:
    http://majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_D...P03_d4902.html

Also, it lists under that in a separate little window a bunch of things that apparently crashed because of this or something, maybe I am misreading things. In that list, it lists something from Kaspersky, but he has uninstalled it a while ago. Why is it still in there??
    Possibly because it did not fully remove itself.
    If you type:
    msconfig
    into the run window; click the services tab and 'hide all microsoft services' do you see it listed?

With so little free space, your swap file is probably causing the crashes once the memory is full (suspected issue w/ddo).

You'll need to free up some more space 1st and foremost. Try and get to at least 10% of your hdd space free + your memory amount x2 (2GB).

Failing that, set a fix swap file size, in this case I'd suggest 1.2gb if you cant get any/much more free space and see if that changes anything. This will help eliminate or prove if its a memory issue.

Ofc you should have all the latest drivers for all your hardware also. I dont recommend using non vendor websites to get new drivers, unless as a last resort btw.

If you suspect hardware (RAM):
    If you have multiple ram sticks - take one out and test for crashes - if it does crash - swap the ram around and test again - just in case you have a failing ram stick...

Lastly - try a clean rebuild/reinstall of the PC and DDO - it sounds like the PC has had quite a bit on and off it over time, so a clean install may be the way to go if you can, for both the OS and DDO...this may be the fastest solution in the end, rather then spending a bunch of time trying to decipher crash logs eg Win xp + drivers +DDO reinstall < 2 hours

With a clean slate you can retest and if the problem persists, you know you have just the basics, so will be easier to narrow down the issue/decipher logs etc....

Hope this helps
    Junior Vice President of the Sen* Group
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    ....running things on elite is generally good for you. Puts hair on your chest, keeps you regular (sometimes both*), and at least in recent content and going forward, improves odds of named loot in chests......

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Senshock View Post
    I dont recommend using non vendor websites to get new drivers, unless as a last resort btw.
    I can vouch for Majorgeeks website and the hosting of vendor files they provide - I have used them for many years and use them for work projects as well as at home - they normally provide a 'author's link' if available but Realtek do not make their drivers directly available and make you click through their pages so my link was the quickest route to the drivers.

Default directx10 setting?

Are you using directX10? I was using my wifes computer while mine was in the shop and the computer was restarting while I was in the game. At first I thought it was going into sleep mode but then I realized it was restarting. It turns out that by changing the setting from directX10 to directX9 stopped the restarting.
    Daigar Visogoth 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1 Monk (2nd TR)
    Svinn the Berserker- 20th Level Barbarian
    Sarlona

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Senshock View Post
    With so little free space, your swap file is probably causing the crashes once the memory is full (suspected issue w/ddo).
    ????

6% of 250 gig is 15 gigs free. Now depending on the fragmentation state of the hard drive that is plenty for playing, even including windows randomizing the swap file size, let alone the machine only having 1 gig of ram.

I personally prefer my swap file to be contiguous. Op, to do this, turn off the swap file. Yes, turn it off. Reboot the system. Wipe it clean of temp/junk files (I use ccleaner myself where the first c stands for _rap.) Defragment your hard drive. Re enable the swap file and make it static to the desired size.

Smitey is correct about the audio driver. Heck, I've known friends who mice caused lag let alone game crashes. MajorGeeks is a site I trust as well, Op.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 01-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.

I will also suggest switching form the craptastic Realtech onboard sound to a separate sound card. You can get a decent Creative X-Fi board for around $40 bucks.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

I am using an older creative x-fi and have the same problem. I often blue screen when zoning to the guild ship. As creative seems rather terrible at providing updated drivers for oem sound cards I may just be stuck.

Customer Service Representative Mirthgar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smitey View Post
    I can vouch for Majorgeeks website and the hosting of vendor files they provide - I have used them for many years and use them for work projects as well as at home - they normally provide a 'author's link' if available but Realtek do not make their drivers directly available and make you click through their pages so my link was the quickest route to the drivers.
    Realtek does also have downloads for their drivers here as well if anyone needs you just need to confirm if your card is a "RealTek High Definition" or "Realtek AC97" model specifically and click the appropriate "Codecs" link though. (Since the file detailed above in the crash dumps is "RtkHDAud.sys" I'd suspect its the HD model)

Quote Originally Posted by Engar1 View Post
    I am using an older creative x-fi and have the same problem. I often blue screen when zoning to the guild ship. As creative seems rather terrible at providing updated drivers for oem sound cards I may just be stuck.
    Go into Options > Audio and make sure the "Sound Playback" setting is on "Software on.." not "Generic software on.." or "Generic Hardware on.." (Note: use "Software on.." if Vista/Win7 or "Hardware on.." if XP, Vista/7 deprecated hardware sound through DirectSound). Also make sure in either case that "Use EAX" is not enabled as well.

NOTE: The Customer Support forums are for Player-to-Player help, for official support, please submit a ticket to the appropriate team via the form here.

After contacting support, log into your email webpage to add noreply@turbine.com and accountsupport@turbine.com to their "safe senders" list and your contacts list/address book. Be sure to check Spam/Junk Mail folders as well since most email providers do not let external email programs or cell phones download mail flagged this way.

Community Member

I am having a similar problem. clean install of win7 .. brand new computer. Tried updating video and sound. I have no dmp files, nor any log files to indicate where the problem is. any suggestions for me ?

amd quad core 3.2 gig processor, 1 TB hdd, 4 gig ram (need to upgrade I know) MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II video with 768MB. win7 o.s.
    Last edited by flame_sword; 02-20-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Community Member

Please disable the automatic restart to document the BSOD manually:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-7.htm

And configure your system for a small memory dump:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649