Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    Power crit is not a good idea, take improved crit ranged and if you can fit it in improved crit slashing or piercing prob piercing if your going to be taking weapon finess.

well how about getting empowered healing spell? if your maxing out concentration, empowered cure serious can heal a fair bit with the right gear and healing amp atm im healing myself for 140-150 roughly per pop and I dont have all the gear i want to up my healing, its not something to sneeze at.

Imho i would maybe drop wis and int some more and put more into str and dex, maybe str and con, sorry i just dont really see what your going to get out of 14 int instead of 10 or 8 int and the same with 12 wisdom you could drop to 10 or 8 and get more str and con, but up to you man.

I'm going to echo these comments. Power critical is a nearly useless feat, all it does is give you a bonus to confirm critical hits - and your normal to-hit bonus will be enough to confirm criticals. Better choices are power attack (+5 to melee damage per hit), toughness (+23 HP at level 20 and it unlocks racial toughness enhancement for more HP), empower healing or maximize (to bump up your self-healing).

I also think that you're wasting starting build points in Intelligence. All it gives you is some extra skill points, and you don't need all those you include in the build. Specifically:

- Hide/Move Silently: you don't need to have these higher than the mid-20s (at most). At those levels, with gear you can get your skill high enough to sneak by anything.
    - Swim: basically useless. I can only think of one quest where swim skill is helpful (for one specific point of the quest), and you can just memorize Merfolk's Blessing when you want to buff swimming.
    - Search: It helps you to spot secret doors and lower level traps. However, you can't find traps that have a difficulty above 20 unless you have a rogue level, secret doors usually have lower difficulties (sub-20) and are uncommon at high levels.
    - Heal: Completely unnecessary. You can't use it on yourself and it takes too much time to use on a party member when in combat - cure light wounds is a much smarter way to bring up an incapacitated character. It gives you a few more points when you rest at a shrine, but at heal 8 you're talking probably 2-4 hp at most.
    - Jump: The maximum useful value of Jump is 40. You can go beyond that, but get no extra benefit. And rangers get the first level spell, Jump that gives +10/+20/+30 at levels 1/5/9. So, you really don't need more than 10 base skill.

You spend 6 build points on Int that you could use on something that would help you much more, like Str or Con or Dex.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    I'm going to echo these comments. Power critical is a nearly useless feat, all it does is give you a bonus to confirm critical hits - and your normal to-hit bonus will be enough to confirm criticals. Better choices are power attack (+5 to melee damage per hit), toughness (+23 HP at level 20 and it unlocks racial toughness enhancement for more HP), empower healing or maximize (to bump up your self-healing).

I also think that you're wasting starting build points in Intelligence. All it gives you is some extra skill points, and you don't need all those you include in the build. Specifically:

- Hide/Move Silently: you don't need to have these higher than the mid-20s (at most). At those levels, with gear you can get your skill high enough to sneak by anything.
    - Swim: basically useless. I can only think of one quest where swim skill is helpful (for one specific point of the quest), and you can just memorize Merfolk's Blessing when you want to buff swimming.
    - Search: It helps you to spot secret doors and lower level traps. However, you can't find traps that have a difficulty above 20 unless you have a rogue level, secret doors usually have lower difficulties (sub-20) and are uncommon at high levels.
    - Heal: Completely unnecessary. You can't use it on yourself and it takes too much time to use on a party member when in combat - cure light wounds is a much smarter way to bring up an incapacitated character. It gives you a few more points when you rest at a shrine, but at heal 8 you're talking probably 2-4 hp at most.
    - Jump: The maximum useful value of Jump is 40. You can go beyond that, but get no extra benefit. And rangers get the first level spell, Jump that gives +10/+20/+30 at levels 1/5/9. So, you really don't need more than 10 base skill.

You spend 6 build points on Int that you could use on something that would help you much more, like Str or Con or Dex.
    also you get spells that boost jump, spot and hide, oh yeah big mistake on my part didnt see you missed toughness, get it, it unlocks racial toughness enhancements that gives more hp's as well.

From the way you allocated your build points and stuff are you a pnp player? A lot of people say ddo is very different from pnp.

You've got me there --- I've played PNP since the old thin paperback Basic set books where your character choices were fighters, clerics, and elves.

I think part of my problem is just that I've never seen any of the higher level content. That's why I really appreciate you guys letting me know what things I'm doing that won't work well. I'll take a look and see what I can do with it. I've stayed away from STR some just because it's more expensive for halflings, but I'm sure I could probably up it a bit more.

I wasn't aware of exactly how power crit worked. I would agree --- other choices are better. I'll probably go for toughness.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Until ranged capstone is fixed, is there really an incentive to stay pure?

The alternative is to pick up a level of rogue for sneak attack and UMD (trap skills optional) and a level of monk (take zen archery with the bonus feat and get a stacking +2 dex and 2.5% doublestrike or strength by being in stance. Plus, without tempest enhancements, fists are a comparable choice of weapon and don't cost a feat (compared to khopesh).

Additionally, you get useful AC for leveling.

Feats wise, you need power attack and improved critical: melee choice (slashing or bludgeoning) + ranged.
    AA reqs: PBS, WF:R, MT
    1 feat left over for the all important toughness.
    zen archery with monk bonus feat.

Try to keep strength and dexterity roughly even at level 20, hopefully around 30+ before level 20 raid/epic gear (halfling ranger gets +9 dexterity compared to strength).

Str 14 + level ups = 19
    Dex 16 + halfling + ranger = 21
    Con 14 (never invest less than 6 points into con, on a low HP class like ranger you could consider boosting to 16)
    Int 12 (left over points, can take points for this from wisdom if struggling to max out trap skills and want to)
    Wis 14 (more AC from monk, if not taking monk, leave at 8)
    Cha 8 (max UMD with rogue means this doesn't need an investment)

Skills:
    UMD max
    Move silently close to max
    Balance close to max but give up first (often you put points here after levle 7 when you can use a +2 int tome)
    Search, Disable device optionally max
    Spot max (it's more useful to this build than normal as you have a rogue level and can spot traps - don't forget natural instincts spell)
    Hide a few points (camo and mass camo stack, invisibility works a treat (UMD scrolls))
    Always put 1 rank in tumble (but no more)
    0 points in jump

You know ... I actually really like this build and I have been wondering what to TR my main 28 point slightly gimped ranger into.

Make sure once manyshot is done switch to melee, ranged dps kinda fails :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogann View Post
    That moment when Juggles unintentionally nerfs Golem Hearts by 98%.
    Pre-MotU Max Dps Rogue Guide
    Gimpforlife-Sarlona

I say play it - though I wonder on the value of the capstone at 20 vs. going 18/1/1

I can honestly say I'm not seeing lots of ranger hate on G-land. Also, rogue-hate seems to be diminished. Crazytown.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12