Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Meathelmet - The Weekend Warrior

Ever roll up a character and not know what to do with them? I was in that situation with my dwarf “monster” build fighter that I started before the tempest-nerfs and stopped playing for a few months. My friend was leveling up her FvS and needed somebody to run with so I eventually capped him. He was fun, did pretty decent damage, had excellent stun/trip tactics, and enough AC and HP to survive anything that got thrown at him.

Pretty much a boring DPS-ape.

The world needs another toon that just hit’s things like I need a hole in my head. Recent changes (fixes) to the hate-generation of SD and DoS defensive stances got me thinking about a TWFing Stalwart Defender hate-tank. No intimidate, no DR, no problem! Theory seemed sound, tried it out in practice and have had no problem with Horoth on Hard (haven’t tried Elite yet). VoD is easy, did Epic Chronoscope last night holding agro with a decent-DPS group.

A Kensai fighter can switch to a Stalwart defender with a simple ENH reset which is free at level 20 and can be done every three days. My guild does triple back-to-back-to-back TODs on Monday and Thursday as well as VoD and E-Colonoscope. What to do over the weekend? Respec enhancements as a stunning-kensai and heavy-pick the **** out of stuff in epics. As a dwarf with 3 toughness feats and evasion, I can pretty much dump toughness enhancements and max out stunning blow. His sustainable STR right now is 50 which gets me a 48 Stunning blow DC. Add in 4 more STR (and 2 more DCs . . .) when I get Madstone boots and a +7 STR item (currently only train 2 Fighter STR as 3 puts me at an odd number).

So why make 1 character that fills two roles instead of making two toons? This game has been such an absurd grind that I’d rather stick my junk in a beehive than make another toon. Getting your greensteel, raid loot, tomes, etc . . . is just so much work and there are only so many hours in the day. The randomness of all this garbage drives me nuts and I know I’m not the only one who feels this way from the various threads on this topic. I want to have as few toons as possible and three melees is enough for me right now. Maybe once their gear is “done” I’ll change my mind but with the current grind mechanics in DDO we’re looking at 2012.

The thing is . . . it’s is stupid-easy to get a high TWFing AC on a monk-splashed Stalwart defender. I see ton’s of griping on the forums about how hard it is to gear up a tank and this is true. But by going the pajamas route and ignoring intimidate, it’s EASY. The only exotic AC gear he has are Icy Rainments (these are NOT hard to get), a Mineral II insight Khopesh (anyone can craft), and a Mabar cloak (again, anyone could get one). His TWFing AC right now is . . .

10 Base
    1 Dodge
    4 Icy Raiments Dodge
    1 Alchemical Dodge
    6 Wisdom
    9 Dexterity
    1 TWD
    1 Monk
    4 Insight (Shroud Crafted)
    5 Protection
    3 Barkskin Pot
    8 Armor Bracers
    2 Tempest I
    5 Combat Expertise
    1 Haste
    2 Ranger Bark
    4 Bard song
    2 Recitation
    2 Yugo (DEX and WIS)
    5 Airship (+3 natural AC, +2 DEX +2 WIS)
    3 Stance
    2 Mabar Cloak
    2 Stalwart
    1 FE (Evil Outsider)

84 TWFing AC

I can squeeze 6 more points of AC into him while keeping him a dwarf. Chattering ring, enough UMD wand for shield wands (next life), and the Moronan stuff (and the Bracers from Sentinels) will let me squeeze in some more Wisdom. I figured rather than post a build with every possible hypothetical piece of gear, which you’ll likely never get, I’ll show the character in its actual state.

84 AC is enough to tank pretty much anything where AC will actually matter. Sure more would be great and I will get more with better gear, but this is 84 TWF-AC that’s EASY to get. Take off 2 AC if you’re not in a guild with the +2 ability shrines are pretty much anyone can get the +3 natural. Forget tanking in epics, you're gonna get hit anyway and I've not seen a situation where a "tank" was anymore useful than not having one.

EDIT: Still gets hit A LOT against Elite Horoth. it's pretty brutal but requires less healing than a barb. One of these days I'll get his AC up to 90 . . .

His current Hate generation is only 33% but even with CE on I’m still able to hold agro with 1 haste-boost head start. Granted these were “normal” groups and to hold agro with “maxxed” groups he’d need better gear. I don’t have a Cinder’s band yet which will add more hate as well as some other gear options which will require some grind. The best thing that could happen for this toon is the Dwarven Defender PRE letting me take the third tier defensive stance with only 12 fighter levels. There are also up-coming changed that will allow intimidate to affect the hate-generation which will work perfectly with this build.

HP works out to be 720 In SD stance with yugo pot. That’s enough to tank Horoth with AC to get missed enough that you can be kept up with scrolls on hard. Even on Elite this should hold up on paper as you’ll be missed more than half the time and evasion will help with much of the spell damage.

About the 6 ranger levels . . . it’s not as good as it used to be but it’s still nice. Spring attack is nice especially in epics where the mob ACs are pretty high. Leveling up it was nice to be able to use cure and resist wands on a toon with no UMD. The AC bonus from Shield of Whirling Steel is nice but UMD’d shield wands are better. Manyshot is very useful. The +9 damage a swing (ram’s might and favored enemy) against evil outsiders keeps me sold. In Stalwart mode I’ll still see crits between 190-200. He does enough damage that he’s not a waste of a party slot, the 6 ranger levels help a great deal with this. I suspect the Dwarven Defender PRE will be here soon so he’ll still be able to get the third PRE and hopefully be able to keep the 6 ranger levels in his next life

When I TR him into his final 36-point life I’m going to keep his class split and race the same. I already have a +4 CON and +3 STR tome banked. He’ll have at least on 34 point life and it’ll be a paladin for the healing amp and divine favor clickie.

Why dwarf: Why not? He was rolled as a dwarf simply because I had a zillion D-Axes stashed away and want to use them. I did eventually switch to Khopesh because I can’t afford the Enhancements to make D-axes worth using. This worked out fine, he’s as tough as a WF but heals easier which works out great for tanking.

A few things I need to consider when gearing him up.

Hate generation: I need moar hate! The 33% from stalwart II works fine with moderately-high DPS groups which are most of the player out there. But there are a few rabid animals I run with who do a lot of damage and it’s keeping agro on them is dicey. I like to take as little of a head start as possible so I need more hate generation. The stalwart set will help, as will the Epic Gloves of the Claw with the Gem of Many facets but I’m NOT holding my breath on this.

Intimidate: yes, I ‘m not relying on intimidate to hold agro. It’s buggy as heck in its current state and a pain in the arse to gear for. But intim is still useful on trash. In VoD, you can’t hold all of the Orthons with hate, it’s just not possible. Intim works great for this. I throw on a +15 helm for when I need this, gets me intim in the mid 40s. I’d like to get more because it’s good for those times when you’re chained and people keep hitting anyway, it’ll come with better gear.

DPS: a ‘tank’ build that can’t hurt anything is about as useful as a blow-up doll with no holes. Even in stalwart mode you need to hurt things. I'll still see crits against devils the break 220 as a stalwart.

Abilities: yes, I’m including Airship buffs because I always have them and have a tendency NOT to die. Please lower everything by 2 if you don’t have access to this or die often. This is also with the gear he currently has, not “perfect” gear. There is room for improvement (firggin Madstone boots . . .). I’m also including rage and yugo pots but everyone does in their inflated build posts.

I also have different gear for Kensai and stalwart mode, as well as train the ENH differently for even numbers.

Kensai mode:
    S 50 (16 + 5 level-ups +2 ENH +2 Tome +6 Item +3 Exc +2 Ram’s +2 Rage +8 Surge +2 Yugo +2 Airship)
    D 28 (16 +2 ENH +2 Tome +6 item +2 Airship)
    C 30 (14 +2 ENH +2 Tome +6 item +2 EXC +2 Rage +2 Airship)
    I 15 (11 +2 Tome +2 Airship)
    W 24 (13+ 1 ENH +2 Tome +2 Airship)
    C 10 (6 +2 tome +2 Airship)

Stalwart mode:

S 44 (16 + 5 level-ups +3 ENH +2 Tome +6 Item +3 Exc +2 Ram’s +3 Stance +2 Yugo +2 Airship)
    D 30 (16 +2 ENH +2 Tome +6 item +2 Yugo +2 Airship)
    C 36 (14 +2 ENH +2 Tome +6 item +3 EXC +3 Stance +2 Yugo +2 Airship) NOTE: I only use the Yugo pot for Horoth
    I 15 (11 +2 Tome +2 Airship)
    W 26 (13+ 1 ENH +2 Tome +2 Yugo +2 Airship)
    C 10 (6 +2 tome +2 Airship)

Feats: I took 3 toughness feats because I want to get comfortably over 700 HP when tanking Hortoh. I LR’d into this dropping IC:Slashing and OTWF. His to-hit is decent and he uses mostly Mineral IIs. In his 36 point life I will take IC:Slashing back and use lighting II Khopeshes most of the time. He’ll have more CON and a +4 CON Tome so the HP will be the same. This fits my "lazy tank" theme as it's much less work to craft two kopeshes than 4.

Level 1 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)

Feat: (Selected) Spring Attack

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Two Weapon Defense

Level 9 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 10 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 14 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack

Level 15 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 16 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Combat Expertise

Level 17 (Fighter)

Level 18 (Fighter)

Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
    Feat: (Selected) Stunning Blow

Level 19 (Fighter)

Level 20 (Fighter) Feat
    : (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Stalwart ENH list:

Fighter Armor Class Boost I, 20,
    Fighter Armor Class Boost II, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost I, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost II, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost III, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost IV, 20,
    Ranger Sprint Boost I, 20,
    Dwarven Constitution I, 20,
    Dwarven Constitution II, 20,
    Fighter Stalwart Defender I, 20,
    Fighter Stalwart Defender II, 20,
    Fighter Khopesh Specialization I, 20,
    Fighter Item Defense I, 20,
    Way of the Patient Tortoise I, 20,
    Racial Toughness I, 20,
    Racial Toughness II, 20,
    Racial Toughness III, 20,
    Racial Toughness IV, 20,
    Ranger Favored Damage I, 20,
    Ranger Favored Damage II, 20,
    Ranger Favored Defense I, 20,
    Ranger Tempest I, 20,
    Fighter Intimidate I, 20,
    Fighter Intimidate II, 20,
    Ranger Dexterity I, 20,
    Ranger Dexterity II, 20,
    Fighter Strength I, 20,
    Fighter Strength II, 20,
    Fighter Strength III, 20,
    Monk Wisdom I, 20,
    Fighter Toughness I, 20,
    Fighter Toughness II, 20,
    Fighter Toughness III, 20,
    Fighter Toughness IV, 20,

Kensai ENH List: this is variable, right now I’m screwing around with dumped HP and maxed stunning blow. Probably not ideal, just make sure you max-out haste boost, set your stats to even numbers, and balance out tactics with hitpoints. I think below works out pretty well.

Fighter Attack Boost I, 20,
    Fighter Attack Boost II, 20,
    Fighter Extra Action Boost I, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost I, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost II, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost III, 20,
    Fighter Haste Boost IV, 20,
    Ranger Sprint Boost I, 20,
    Dwarven Constitution I, 20,
    Dwarven Constitution II, 20,
    Dwarven Tactics I, 20,
    Dwarven Tactics II, 20,
    Kensei Khopesh Mastery I, 20,
    Kensei Khopesh Mastery II, 20,
    Fighter Critical Accuracy I, 20,
    Fighter Critical Accuracy II, 20,
    Fighter Kensei I, 20,
    Fighter Kensei II, 20,
    Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow) I, 20,
    Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow) II, 20,
    Fighter Strategy (Stunning Blow) III, 20,
    Fighter Khopesh Specialization I, 20,
    Racial Toughness I, 20,
    Racial Toughness II, 20,
    Racial Toughness III, 20,
    Ranger Favored Damage I, 20,
    Ranger Favored Damage II, 20,
    Ranger Favored Defense I, 20,
    Ranger Tempest I, 20,
    Ranger Dexterity I, 20,
    Ranger Dexterity II, 20,
    Fighter Strength I, 20,
    Fighter Strength II, 20,
    Monk Wisdom I, 20,
    Fighter Toughness I, 20,
    Fighter Toughness II, 20,
    Fighter Toughness III, 20,

Skill: I maxed Intimidate, jump, and balance. In another life I might try for UMD but I knew in this one I wouldn’t have the gear to make it worth a damn.

Gear: This is what had when I first started using him on Horoth Other than the ToD ring, which I will admit I got lucky, everything here is relatively easy to get. Horoth is the only boss who need max-HP so I equip the Gnawed ring and Knost’s belt so I can keep my HP up and get some healing amp. All other times I stick with the Ravager set. Yeah I lose some DPS but the hate generation is still enough to keep agro. I figure it’s better to list what he’s actually using than to post a zillion pieces of ubber-gear that the average player will never see.

Head Minos
    Neck +6 Wisdom
    Belt Ravager/Knosts
    Armor Icy Rainments
    Ring 1 Ravager (+2 EXC STR)
    Ring 2 GFL/ Gnawed ring with 20% healing amp
    Boots Striding/Anchoring
    Bracers 8 AC
    Cloak Epic Mabar
    Gloves +6 DEX/Titan’s Clickie
    Goggles Mineral II/Tharnes

Weapon 1: Mineral II Khopesh (Holy/acid/+4 AC)
    Weapon 2: Mineral II Khopesh (Holy/Acid/+2 EXC CON)

So here he is, an Stalwart hate-tank that’s cheap to make and can hold agro and be held up by a lazy-healer using scrolls. With an ENH swap it can become a high-tactics kensai that can stun the **** out of stuff in epics.

it’s not max-DPS nor is it the best tank out there. But there isn’t ONE QUEST IN THE GAME WHERE YOU NEED TO BE TOP ANYTHING TO COMPLETE EASILY. This build is relatively easy to throw together and gets the job done.

EDIT: Corrected the feat list, the toon doesn't have OTWF, it was a bug in the planner. Should have been a dead give-away that it was a fighter feat listed on a Ranger level.
    Last edited by grodon9999; 05-03-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Love meathelmet. Dont overcomplicate things.

I would say what is easy for some may not be for others like the cc-raid-and-epic train is going to gather a mess of gear pretty fast. Of course some of us keep pulling those boots and putting them for roll .......
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    I would say what is easy for some may not be for others . . .
    Very true, which is why I said "relatively" easy. No epic gear and little raid loot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    a ‘tank’ build that can’t hurt anything is about as useful as a blow-up doll with no holes.
    LMAO......i got some looks at work for this

Do you ever bother with stunners, or just stck with the khopeshes?

You're right about not needing to be top dps on paper to complete. Now if we can just get folks educated on how to not wreck a hound...
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Do you ever bother with stunners, or just stck with the khopeshes?
    It depends on whom I'm aiming for. If it's Scrorrow in Epic OOB I don't take the chance and equip a +10 Hammer. If it's Drow casters in stuff like Tide Turns I'm usually hold two good quality "vendor-trash" heavy picks.

Nice versatility. Makes me actually want to play a fighter type.

Any problems holding agro when the Invis Guard from the cloak procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Illiain View Post

Any problems holding agro when the Invis Guard from the cloak procs?
    Most bosses have true seeing, even the ones that don't haven't given me an issue yet. The guy in Colonoscope doesn't have TS and I held him the entire fight. I have heard reports of the Jailer in ToD wandering off but I've not observed this yet myself.

Nice one. Modest and playable. I like the resetting enhancements twice a week to follow ur guilds raid pattern-my playtime is unpredictable so this never occured to me. +1 for getting the cogs turning in my brain.

I smiled when I read the beehive of gear comment. I'm in exactly the same boat-my main Groan has sooo much stuff on him that I'm not looking forward to tring again and fitting it all in(reincarn stache is still very full) but the idea of rolling up a brand new toon is just unacceptable. Grinding all the gear again... Forget about it. I play one melée and one caster with a battlebard as a shard/ingrediant runner. I like this setup as when I'm running epics I collect stuff for my melée and my caster and I don't need to ration them between multiple melees. The bard is sorta the red headed stepchild and gets the cast offs neither of my mains want lol.

The upside to only having one main melée is when I plan a new build(1. To get the tr benefit and 2. To stop being bored playing that certain melée class) I can base builds around all the gear I have already...which is pretty much everything. I'm hesitant to post them however as I don't expect others to be able to have all the stuff. What I normally do now is just throw up builds that are more refernce posts I can point others in the direction of. Sorta screwy how if works now. Most of the people I play with refuse to roll new toons because gearing them out will literally take years.

N
    GROAN-1 (Melee/Casting Horc FVS)

Quote Originally Posted by nick_robinsonchia View Post
    Most of the people I play with refuse to roll new toons because gearing them out will literally take years.

N
    It's sad isn't it?

cool!! any reason why you took fighter first instead of ranger? wont you get more skill points if you took ranger as your first class at charactor creation?

It's sad isn't it?
    Very. I used to have 7-8 capped toons all geared up as did alot of my friends. Most have dwindled to 3-4 mains now. With epic set up it's hard for people to get where they want to be. Especially for those of us with RL duties.

N
    GROAN-1 (Melee/Casting Horc FVS)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    cool!! any reason why you took fighter first instead of ranger? wont you get more skill points if you took ranger as your first class at charactor creation?
    Probably to put 4 points in Intimidate and be able to max it during ranger levels.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

W 24 (13+ 1 ENH +2 Tome +2 Airship)

W 26 (13+ 1 ENH +2 Tome +2 Yugo +2 Airship)
    Nice build. But is it not W 18 and 20 respectively, reducing AC by 2 points (you count +6 from wis)?
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

With similar equipment/buffs, you would reach this AC on a standard Fighter 18+:

10 Base
    16 DT Armor w/ alchemical ritual
    1 Dodge feat
    5 Prot.
    6 Dex
    1 TWD
    4 Insight (GS weapon)
    3 Bark pot
    2 Chaosguarde (dodge)
    5 Combat expertise
    1 Haste
    2 Ranger bark
    3 DT Armor (sovereign rune)
    2 Recitation
    3 Airship
    4 Stance
    3 Stalwart
    4 Shield wand
    --
    75 TWF mode, with +70% threat generation from Stalwart and the DT tempest rune
    81 when switching to tower shield.

The good point of your build is a higher AC (but perhaps more difficult to raise above) and the capacity to keep Evasion when tanking, at the expense of a higher hate generation.
    A Fighter 18 / Monk 2 could be interesting because he could keep a decent AC when switching to Evasion mode from wis contribution (without the possibility to use a shield though).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feithlin View Post
    Nice build. But is it not W 18 and 20 respectively, reducing AC by 2 points (you count +6 from wis)?
    I think the +6 missing from the total is the wisdom necklace quoted in gear but omitted from the breakdown.
    --
    Interesting idea, thanks. I have a capped dwarf monster (a hangover from ye olde Keeper days when strength based dwarf rangers were aces) I currently leave sat in Meridia as my GS ingredient runner. I've been pondering a while about what to do with him to make him more palatable. Perhaps I'll jump on the next inevitable trainwreck Icy LFM full of 200hp drow rogues and rangers that I see.

+ 6 item, Forget to include it.

With similar equipment/buffs, you would reach this AC on a standard Fighter 18+:

10 Base
    16 DT Armor w/ alchemical ritual
    1 Dodge feat
    5 Prot.
    6 Dex
    1 TWD
    4 Insight (GS weapon)
    3 Bark pot
    2 Chaosguarde (dodge)
    5 Combat expertise
    1 Haste
    2 Ranger bark
    3 DT Armor (sovereign rune)
    2 Recitation
    3 Airship
    4 Stance
    3 Stalwart
    4 Shield wand
    --
    75 TWF mode, with +70% threat generation from Stalwart and the DT tempest rune
    81 when switching to tower shield.

The good point of your build is a higher AC (but perhaps more difficult to raise above) and the capacity to keep Evasion when tanking, at the expense of a higher hate generation.
    A Fighter 18 / Monk 2 could be interesting because he could keep a decent AC when switching to Evasion mode from wis contribution (without the possibility to use a shield though).
    This toon isn't even SoS flagged I don't think he's run ANYTHING in Reaver's refuge exept for Prey once.

There is too much grind in this game, even with reaver's refuge getting better it still sucks. This build doesn't have to grind RR to be effective, cutting out any grind is a good thing.

Most bosses have true seeing, even the ones that don't haven't given me an issue yet. The guy in Colonoscope doesn't have TS and I held him the entire fight. I have heard reports of the Jailer in ToD wandering off but I've not observed this yet myself.
    To my knowledge I never once lost aggro on Dingal while hate tanking due to my cloak proccing. You're beating on them, they know you're there, they just have a harder time hitting you.
    Captain's Crew: (TR) Dingalbarian - Horc Barb20 - THF, Dingaladin - Human 18/2 Paladin/Monk - TWF, Lamepolicy - Squishy Drow - Wiz20 Archmage

is it me, (i didn't read all the posts) where did you fit in Improved 2 weapon fighting?
    Sprulok TR 20 dark monk/ Spruloki lvl 20 TR'd Exploiter / Magnetik "aka Miss Piggy" TR'd 12ftr/6rgr/2monk/ tank / Trixxii lvl 20 TR'd light monk/ Bllaak Stabbath lvl 20 tr'd assassin/ Axetress lvl 14 juggernaut Zenaidemule --------------- Ghallanda server-------------Officer of the Captain's Crew

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast