Thread: the raid again

Default the raid again

Throw another half dozen unto the bone heap. Our next attempt in The Core might not be until next summer, and here's why:

Although we didn't have an absolutely ideal party configuration on this run, it was better than last time, and it was close to perfect. There were a few level 6's in the mix.

We had a half-orc kensai who pulled a holy khopesh in the Bloody Crypt. We had 3 strength-based monks with pillars of light. We had two high dps rogues (one acrobat, one halfling doing 2d6+10 on each sneak attack. We had THREE radiant servants. We had a 7th level paladin. We had a bard.

And still we could not take the final boss down, though we got close. We had some very close calls throughout the raid up to that point. But mostly we handled it well without an incap.

I have a dorf shintao at 7th level with handwraps of pure good, but he won't be on a suicide mission. Either everyone is fully prepared or we won't go. Fully prepared? Getting to level 7 is not enough-- we should blueline xp in order to treasure-hunt and collectible hunt so that we have the best chance for optimal gear and loads of healing pots and elixirs.

We had the final boss down to 25% health, and people recalled with mana, so it wasn't a total party wipe, but when our main tanks went down because they were blocked and couldn't receive healing, that was all she wrote...

Mobampao waits in the wings for his shot at glory...
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Throw another half dozen unto the bone heap. Our next attempt in The Core might not be until next summer, and here's why:

Although we didn't have an absolutely ideal party configuration on this run, it was better than last time, and it was close to perfect. There were a few level 6's in the mix.

We had a half-orc kensai who pulled a holy khopesh in the Bloody Crypt. We had 3 strength-based monks with pillars of light. We had two high dps rogues (one acrobat, one halfling doing 2d6+10 on each sneak attack. We had THREE radiant servants. We had a 7th level paladin. We had a bard.

And still we could not take the final boss down, though we got close. We had some very close calls throughout the raid up to that point. But mostly we handled it well without an incap.

I have a dorf shintao at 7th level with handwraps of pure good, but he won't be on a suicide mission. Either everyone is fully prepared or we won't go. Fully prepared? Getting to level 7 is not enough-- we should blueline xp in order to treasure-hunt and collectible hunt so that we have the best chance for optimal gear and loads of healing pots and elixirs.

We had the final boss down to 25% health, and people recalled with mana, so it wasn't a total party wipe, but when our main tanks went down because they were blocked and couldn't receive healing, that was all she wrote...

Mobampao waits in the wings for his shot at glory...

I suspect I know what the problem is, but not knowing your feelings on spoilers, I don't know if you want me to answer.

If you want my advice, send me a PM, Duncani.

And I was just going to ask in the old raid thread what this was looking like for PDers at this point.

I am also pretty sure I know what the issue is in the last room.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Yeah I have been following this and watching how things unfold for you PDers. It is hard not to give spoilers to help you. If you want advice, you can send me a PM as well (have completed this raid on all difficulties at different level ranges).

I hate Kobolds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldrin View Post
    Don't ask questions you don't really want the answer to... What happens on Khyber...stays on Khyber.

Hmmm, now my curiousity is piqued. But since we got so close this time, and because some people were unable to be healed because they were out of line-of-sight of our healers, I want another crack at it before I seek any advice.

My feeling is: massive dps on the boss, heal the tanks, and hope we can git er done...

Thanks for the offers though!
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

If it makes you feel any better Duncan, I was one of the healers/melee for this in The Sublime when we did this, and I still have no idea what they are talking about lol.
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Hmmm, now my curiousity is piqued. But since we got so close this time, and because some people were unable to be healed because they were out of line-of-sight of our healers, I want another crack at it before I seek any advice.

My feeling is: massive dps on the boss, heal the tanks, and hope we can git er done...

Thanks for the offers though!
    This would work for regular players..but..

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    Exactly.

I hate Kobolds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldrin View Post
    Don't ask questions you don't really want the answer to... What happens on Khyber...stays on Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by Junts View Post
    I've already completed this in my PD guild, but have no idea what you are referring to, mind PM'ing me?

Thanks!
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Next time we'll have a level 7 Bard warchanter who will be able to cast displacement, haste, and sing the boom-boom song. That will make all the difference in the world I believe.

He should be able to drink elixirs or get a few dv's beforehand.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

If you're getting that far, I'm sure you'll break through soon. In MV (running hard with max sevens), we apparently haven't gotten that far in. I haven't given up, but we did have to give it a break for a while. I now have one character ready for an excursion. Intentionally called excursion because I want to test some things out instead of pushing the envelope and potentially losing a lot more. Key for us will be learning something from every attempt.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Might I make a very vague comment that may help you?
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Talltale-Storyteller View Post
    Might I make a very vague comment that may help you?
    If I, or anyone else, wanted help, I'm sure they could look it up and get as much as they want. If I give up trying to figure it out, that's what I'll do.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    If I, or anyone else, wanted help, I'm sure they could look it up and get as much as they want. If I give up trying to figure it out, that's what I'll do.
    Most of the "advice" you will find by looking it up will be DPS builds who can chew through piles of HP in as little time as possible, but little of much else. You may also stumble apon that thread where experienced vets are moaning about wanting to raise the max level of the raid due to not being able to overpower it with DPS and brute force.

As far as tactics go, I havent seen a good breakdown for tactics on this raid yet, besides what we have fleshed out ourselves through doing and learning. There arent too many new MOB AI, so it wasnt tough to figure out. The map is already familiar, as are the events, for vets who evperienced those first hand.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I guess its a good thing I asked DUNCAN in HIS thread, not YOURS wether HE wanted a VAGUE COMMENT that MAY help.

Emphasis there being its not your thread, nor was I asking you. Also the emphasis being my comment would be so vague he probably wouldn't even know what I meant by it and it would be PMed to him. Much more vague than anything he would get by looking it up I assure you.

The condescension in your post almost made me gag.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Talltale-Storyteller View Post
    I guess its a good thing I asked DUNCAN in HIS thread, not YOURS wether HE wanted a VAGUE COMMENT that MAY help.

Emphasis there being its not your thread, nor was I asking you. Also the emphasis being my comment would be so vague he probably wouldn't even know what I meant by it and it would be PMed to him. Much more vague than anything he would get by looking it up I assure you.

The condescension in your post almost made me gag.
    It's an open forum used by players interested in permadeath. Surely you realize that.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

It's an open forum used by players interested in permadeath. Surely you realize that.
    You are correct, this is an open forum.

So you must realize that not every post in here is directed to you?
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!