Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Martdon View Post
    Yeah I was thinking that too. I have been throwing builds together on the planner, but nothing I like. And I'm not sure I want to be a roleplaying bard. Of course, there's nothing to say that I'm a travelling minstrel like most, but rather something far more sinister >.>

Will definitely keep that option open though.
    Far more sinister? you can't be evil in this game :P Plus I'd have to rip your head off.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    The best PVP in this game happens in the forums. Usually when someone brings up the need for more PVP.

Default 2nd Squad

After taking a quick look at the responses, here is where we are at for a second squad...

Zectarash
    Quirinus
    Mrs Q
    Pwnhammer40k
    Arjiwan
    Nuralanya (Fridays only)

I have not confirmed with any of these people yet, but I am sending emails out today.

The problem we face is the day... I don't think I can commit to Fridays on a regular basis. So either we find a different day that works for everyone, or we look at possibly seeing if 2 people from squad 1 will switch squads with me and my wife.

Personally Sunday night is best for me, but I can also do Saturdays...

Kakow, I'll let you know what response I get from the emails, but we may need you to edit your initial post to show that we are still looking to complete the group.

Once we hit level 6, I do think we might want to consider doing raids on a seperate night from our regularly schedued static group. Fridays would be ok for me then, as long as it is not every Friday.

Community Member

Default Rl>mmo

Yeah, the scheduling thing will of course have to be discussed by each squad. The same day of the week routine is generally most common because folks can plan a two hour period of their calendar pretty far into the future. I'm not saying it HAS to be Fridays or Saturdays. Squad 1's initial meeting will be Jan 8, 8pm EST, a Saturday, but our next meeting could be the following Wednesday. It'll have to be discussed out of character after the session closes for that night.

As for alts Pwnhammer40K, it's been a month since I logged onto Cannith. I was favor farming different servers, but since I have a mad mad mad case of alt-itis, I'd love to make something up over there again...for ease sake, I'll just make one up tonight or tomorrow and call him Kakow, or something close if that's taken already. I've just joined a guild in my own Philippine timezone (Adobo on Orien) and I'm loving the warm welcome I got there. Since my own home guild on Khyber has found That Other MMO's Latest Major Expansion so awesome, I find my time there lonely, so I'm on Orien more or less all the time now.

Um. Kinda tired now (it's 4:36 am atm), so my thoughts are scattered, but it appears that we could have 2 squads up and ready to go. I love the idea about interchanging folks from one to the next. Perhaps this could be done in or out of character, and we could all just meet up in The Obligatory Tavern Scene and mix and match there as needed. Since we'll be raiding together eventually, it's probably a good idea to mix it up at least once a month on purpose just so we all get used to each other's playing style/character style.

Gotta say, haven't been this excited since my very first GenCon way back..the real one, the Milwaukee one, not the thing in Indy.

Community Member

One more thing...I was unaware guild charters cost TP. I thought you could buy them with ingame gold. If it does cost TP, since it was me who started this thing, I think it's only fair that I be the one who has to cough up the points. I've got a monk on Orien now, so I'm gaining favor there and slowly earning TP. Anyone have experience with creating guilds? Is this something I could RP ingame with a Squad representative? I'd prefer to keep all those sorts of interactions in character as much as possible if we could.

If it can be done that way, I'll meet someone online and provide the charter as a trade. I know my ignorance is showing here though, so any advice is welcome.

Also, I haven't thought of any decent names for the group, but I plan to have some scratched down on some paper prior to the initial meeting in game. If it's possible that both squads, or as many as possible from both, could meet at the Wavecrest Jan 8 at 8pm EST, I think it'd be a good thing to at least knock out the name and finalize the charter thing.

We could possibly make one or two members of each squad officers, that way the MoTD could be changed if we dont end up playing at the same time as a way to leave a note of sorts. Or we could just make everyone officers and allow a limited recruitment for renown purposes but keep officer status limited to the original 12. There are lots of ways to do it, I'm currently second in command of a guild on Khyber (Helpers Guild) and we have a council of sorts that is the officers that moderate the rare in guild issues. The second option of 12 officers could form a pretty nice council and recruiting extra people could allow everyone to still play in a full group if someone had to miss a meeting. We would just have to make sure they would be willing to stay in character in guild and party chats. I can research Ventrilo and Teamspeak also, I don't know if they're free but Helpers has one run by our leader I'll ask her about it.

Wish I had seen this sooner. I would be game as well. So if you have a spot open, or a 3rd group. I would be willing.
    How can you not love Bacon? Even PIGS love bacon.

Kelevan,
    so far we are working on filling the second squad, and at present, not all the spots are locked in yet...
    I'll keep you posted, and put you on the list

Quote Originally Posted by Kakow View Post
    One more thing...I was unaware guild charters cost TP. I thought you could buy them with ingame gold. If it does cost TP, since it was me who started this thing, I think it's only fair that I be the one who has to cough up the points. I've got a monk on Orien now, so I'm gaining favor there and slowly earning TP. Anyone have experience with creating guilds? Is this something I could RP ingame with a Squad representative? I'd prefer to keep all those sorts of interactions in character as much as possible if we could.

If it can be done that way, I'll meet someone online and provide the charter as a trade. I know my ignorance is showing here though, so any advice is welcome.

Also, I haven't thought of any decent names for the group, but I plan to have some scratched down on some paper prior to the initial meeting in game. If it's possible that both squads, or as many as possible from both, could meet at the Wavecrest Jan 8 at 8pm EST, I think it'd be a good thing to at least knock out the name and finalize the charter thing.
    If we use TP to get the guild, we could always RP it as the charter was stolen by a certain halfling rogue...

Also: I am an admin on a semi-private gaming forum elsewhere. If there is interest, I could set up a subforum there for us to use. That would give us an easier place to coordinate, talk, etc without everything having to be in one thread here. Those who wanted to could, for instance, create threads for their character backgrounds/stories, and so on. Anyway, let me know if there's interest and I will PM a link.

Default shr link plz;)

Quote Originally Posted by Luchaire View Post
    If we use TP to get the guild, we could always RP it as the charter was stolen by a certain halfling rogue...

Also: I am an admin on a semi-private gaming forum elsewhere. If there is interest, I could set up a subforum there for us to use. That would give us an easier place to coordinate, talk, etc without everything having to be in one thread here. Those who wanted to could, for instance, create threads for their character backgrounds/stories, and so on. Anyway, let me know if there's interest and I will PM a link.
    i think the alternate forum would be a good idea cuz this thread is getting pretty busy haha.

Community Member

Well, I guess we could use that alternate forum. This thread would get pretty large pretty quick if we just keep using this single place to deposit it all. If we could use that other forum, we could have Squad 1 and 2 subforums to keep each of them on their own same page, and have another for the Raid 1 group when we get there.

As for voicechat, I'm fine with the ingame one if we can make it work right. It's chancy though as sometimes people can hear me just fine, and after altering no settings at all, suddenly a day later nobody can hear me at all. Vent, et al, all cost money, so that's probably out unless someone's willing to host 12 unpaying users 4 times a month. Probably not out of the question, but many servers have only 20 slots or so, and taking 12 of them would mean paid subscribers would be out....not something most would be willing to accept.

I like the idea of recruiting more folks into the guild...this would give it more of the mercenary organization feeling that Mrydion Krastinult's leadership may have brought to the table since he's the warrior of the party and the only one with somewhat military background from his ties to House Deneith. I don't see it as unlikely that the guild's members could be gathering renown all week (on alts perhaps) while the dramatic story unfolds amongst the Core 12, in character, every week, sorta like a TV serial. This way, we could have storylines unfold amongst the rest of the guild and swap in characters as needed to move the larger story forward. Granted...since the "story" is in DDO and on rails as it were with the instances being what they are, we could only do so much, but I think with the creativity I've seen on these posts, I feel the community at large is more than up to the opportunity to make this magic happen.

If we do decide to recruit more, I'd like to lay some solid groundrules on it. For example, recruited folks know all about the RP-nature and purpose of the group, and are OK with being characters in that story. Nothing in guildchat (again within common sense reasoning) will be OOC, and especially during the 2 hour sessions, the guildees respect the channel's main purpose of RP and can contribute as they see fit as long as it adds to the feeling of a tabletop experience. Also...if the Core 12 are using a channel for advancing the storyline, and their characters are not within physical hearing distance of the actors, then no interaction is allowed. What I mean is...if Toon 34 is in Stormreach Harbor, and the Core 12 is stumped at a puzzle in the Tangleroot Gorge...Toon 34 can't help, because he's not there and cannot hear. (The Player Knowledge versus Character Knowledge thing.)

So if you do get 2 groups going, would they be 2 static groups, or 12 static players that can interchange?

I could commit to most any night, I am available typically 10-12 EST, usually 9 if the kids go to bed well. I would love to get into a static group. And I am not opposed to playing any class/race, but I prefer the Cleric (radiant servant), Rogue (trap monkey) or Wizard (archmage). But I will fill whatever spot is needed.

What were the rules on repeating quests? I've read through twice (well, read through once, skimmed a 2nd time) and did not see anything mentioned on repeating quests. If you are trying to accomplish a role-playing, table top Friday night feel, then you should only do a quest once. I've never, as a DM, run the party through a quest twice, even making it harder. So would you go to a point of doing everything on hard once? or would you overlook this and allow people to run a quest more than once?

And another thing we could do with the guild is have alts and use them as "recruiters" during the week and have the main 12 be aloof as they are confident that they don't need help. But we would have to run with the new recruits to make sure they were willing to RP. This has really hit my creativity bone, I like it haha.

Community Member

Kelavam, you bring up a point that I've been thinking about since before my first post...I would prefer to keep it as close to tabletop as possible...once and done.

As for difficulty setting...normal at times seems a bit easy to me, but with "once and done" we could have 5th level characters running around with +1 longswords of flame touch from the Grotto quest if they get seriously unlucky on chest random loot drops. Could players cheat and use gems to increase their odds of getting better loot, unbeknownst to their compatriots? XP Pots? How much of the DDO store is allowed? All these questions I've thought about. If I were DMing this, I'd say no DDO store items at all (other than apparently the guild charter, which I haven't fully researched yet). This will keep the core 12 honest and true to the ideals of tabletop RPing as can be in DDO.

Back to difficulty settings, I'd feel comfortable with a slower progressing group on Hard mode. I don't believe any of the respondents are exactly new to DDO, so are aware of many if not all of the dungeons. Assuming we use our party's skills wisely (scouting, sneaking, charming, CCing, tactical fighting, not zerging), I think we'll succeed at that level.

This also touches on Permadeath or not. I'm with not permadeath...we could RP the reasoning for the existance of the rez shrine if we needed to, but I think that like the Warforged race's mere existance, people in Eberron just take things for granted...rez shrines perhaps being one of those things that everybody just knows work.

As for the guild outside the Core 12...I see no reason at all that multiple squads cannot be made up, adventure on their own schedules throughout the week, and talk to characters in game to arrange swapouts for specific dates/times. Sure, this'd be quasi-metagaming, but hey at some point the real person has to ask a real person can they cover them for next meeting, and I'm cool with that.

I'd really prefer to keep the Raid 1 group to a group of select Core 12, which may or may not necessarily be all Squad 1 only...we could RP that with something in game like a competition of some sort. A selection of those honored few who will go and fight the devil assault with the Gann Family when the time comes. Rules of the competition would have to be decided on as we went, and it'd be neat to see how we RP'd that situation. If Hueldr for example isn't the best cleric for the job, then perhaps someone within the guild will come to the fore and represent our group in that other space and time.

Community Member

Hiimbob, I'd prefer to not actively recruit for a "static" RP group...we have our numbers, and in fact, we have more than we needed for our initial purpose. It's grown since then, and I love all the ideas brought forth and I think we can make it work...but that's something we need to succeed at before we decide to inflate the numbers more.

As for alts in the guild...let's look at it this way: The Core 12, or 18, or 24 or whatever we finish with here, meet at the Wayward Lobster in Stormreach to discuss their plans for gathering funds to pay for the purchase of an airship from House Lyrandar. Nothing too fancy, just the cheapest, smallest available.

It's dreamed of. It's quested for. Coins are found and amassed and the group eagerly anticipates that magic day. The day comes. The money is spent.

AND BAM!!!! Every crew slot is filled immediately, every station filled because the guild's alts (non-RPing, powerleveling, zerging like mad, puggers who couldn't spell RP, much less practice it) attained so much guild renown that the guild level far exceeds the minimum required to purchase the airship. In a normal guild is this a bad thing? Certainly not, it's awesome-sauce onna bun. But I think we lose something going from "scrounging every last copper for a group goal" to "luxuriously appointed airship" in one day.

Could we ignore the actual guild renown level? Yeah. I guess so. But I think artificially capping the attainment of something so rich an experience as purchasing our first airship crew member would suck. Gamewise, mathwise, why not? But as a group who is trying to recreate that feeling of accomplishment I think we need to keep it simple, at least for now.

Perhaps after the Chronoscope...when word spreads across the land of our heroic triumph against the forces of evil...we'd obviously attract apprentices, novices, aspirants to the cause, then we could accept more and let it take off, but until then, I think a smallish (less than 30) group will do.

IN regards to the charter, any VIP can create a guild for free, with no TP required. So if anyone is VIP, just get them to make the guild, invite you and pass leader. I used to do this some when I was VIP for people who didn't want to waste TP on a charter.
    Member of Ron's Character Planner team.
    Found a missing, outdated or better graphic on the planner, let me know here.

I know I am not even accepted into the group yet, but honestly, I would keep DDO store purchases out of it myself as well. Most static groups I have read about avoid the AH and merchant shops because it can quickly over balance a party.

Makes what you find in a chest a little more fun and exciting and opens up loot sharing.

I would say no to perma-death, it stinks starting over, and if you are running a static group, and can only run 1 quest at a time, that either forces everyone to roll low end characters to travel with the new person, or forces them to run a quest twice to help out.

YOu could rule a 1 use ress shrine per quest. I know you are trying to keep this to the Friday night feel. I have played a lot of PnP over the years.. Once a character is dead, without a cleric to raise, they are considered done done. I do not support this in an MMO, but the one thing about Perma Death is that it DOES promote strong unified play. Not sure how you'd want to add that aspect to an MMO. If they use the shrine, die again, then they leave the dungeon and lose the exp? Players in my table top never got exp when their characters were dead.. :|

Just throwing things out there.

Community Member

I think by now you guys have figured out I love writing and storytelling. I was pretty much the designated DM in our tabletop group, no matter whether or not I actually wanted to play that night.

Anyways, this will be shorter (at least by my standards).

I have absolutely zero problems with starting a guild on Orien to play during the offtimes when the sessions or other RP events aren't going on. It'd be a shame if we decided we actually enjoyed each other's playstyles enough that we couldn't play more together.

To that end, and with my birthday gift TP, I'll purchase a guild charter for a new guild to be named something not so serious (Offtimers comes to mind), for us to powerlevel, zerg, vegetate, trade min/max talk, flavor build tryouts, whatever we want. Just a thought, but I think it'd be cool to spend more time with like-minded old school RPers who didn't want to RP 100% of the time when they were online.

I'd also like a guild where I knew my party's favored soul wasn't going to die in melee with a full blue bar.

Kelavam, you bring up a point that I've been thinking about since before my first post...I would prefer to keep it as close to tabletop as possible...once and done.

As for difficulty setting...normal at times seems a bit easy to me, but with "once and done" we could have 5th level characters running around with +1 longswords of flame touch from the Grotto quest if they get seriously unlucky on chest random loot drops.
    That may become an issue, if players are only allowed to use what funds they acquire themselves on that one character, but with the assistance of those who know better which items sell well at auction perhaps that can be overcome. My other static character has been doing well enough with the kind assistance of her companions.

Could players cheat and use gems to increase their odds of getting better loot, unbeknownst to their compatriots?
    Possible, I suppose - you could rationalise it as one character having 'the luck of the gods' or something like that.

XP Pots? How much of the DDO store is allowed? All these questions I've thought about. If I were DMing this, I'd say no DDO store items at all (other than apparently the guild charter, which I haven't fully researched yet). This will keep the core 12 honest and true to the ideals of tabletop RPing as can be in DDO.
    I would say no to xp pots or anything other than cosmetic items from the store, unless someone has missed a couple of weeks and really needs the extra xp to catch up to the rest of the group. But that's up to you as DM to decide!

As for the guild charter, as far as I know it's free for VIP players to create a guild. I would be quite willing to create one for you and then hand over leadership if you wish, whether or not I end up becoming part of this group.

Back to difficulty settings, I'd feel comfortable with a slower progressing group on Hard mode. I don't believe any of the respondents are exactly new to DDO, so are aware of many if not all of the dungeons. Assuming we use our party's skills wisely (scouting, sneaking, charming, CCing, tactical fighting, not zerging), I think we'll succeed at that level.
    Tactics are awesome... If everyone is willing to let others 'do their job' then it should be fine. I'm not a fan of 'this class MUST play this role and nothing else', but if your character is good at scouting ahead and spotting things then do so. If you're better at standing back and casting or ranging, do so. If you want to stand in the doorway and bravely hold back the enemies trying to pour through... You get the idea!

This also touches on Permadeath or not. I'm with not permadeath...we could RP the reasoning for the existance of the rez shrine if we needed to, but I think that like the Warforged race's mere existance, people in Eberron just take things for granted...rez shrines perhaps being one of those things that everybody just knows work.
    The way I have been dealing with this issue is that death isn't death until I decide it is. Dying in a quest is just being knocked unconscious, and my character is helped to a safe place to rest and recover. It would be up to individuals to decide how they want to play this aspect of the game, though.

Hope this helps a bit!

In another static/RP I run with, we don't follow perma death rules, but rather choose what we wanted to do ourself. Whether you are 'unconscious' and need to rest to revive, or dead.
    The rule I use for myself (and will use with this character, unless we decide something else as a guild), is I get one free unconscious death, where if I have to recall or rez shrine once, it is fine. However, if I go down a second time, with no one able to rez me, I am toast. (Hasn't happen to me yet at level 4 8D)
    I don't think we want to do something, like make them sit the rest out and get no exp, because if a player dies on a couple bigger quests, then they're suddenly behind the group, and need to catch up some how, and I really don't like static group play that forces you to play your character at other times to catch up with the main group.
    Member of Ron's Character Planner team.
    Found a missing, outdated or better graphic on the planner, let me know here.

Community Member

Yeah, I think the DDO store being out is just going to have to be the way it works. As for Auctions and the like, I think trade in a fantasy world is a vital background to storylines and it needs to stay in. Let the party's most charismatic, skilled haggler do all the shoping for the party I say. And if he decides to skim some off the top, well, that's just business. As for auctions, that does get a little more tricky, but again, if loot can be sold for that much, let the market decide.

I know I'm going to be begging for the party's bard to find the best deals while I'm on my dwarf.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast