Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Helves Angel: A Burst DPS Build (12ftr/6Rgr/2Monk)

Helves Angel: A Burst DPS Build (12ftr/6Rgr/2Monk)

Before I start, yes this class combination has be presented before, and props to my fellow Scandanavian for posting the orginal split; however, with so many racial, class and item changes, I feel that this version is significantly different enough to warrant it's own build thread. Think of it as the modern evolution of a tried and true class split.

As things currently stand, the single best burst DPS in the game is Many Shot on the right build. Many Shot with fighter Haste Boost IV, Arcane Archer's 500 damage Slayer Arrows, a very high + to damage modifier and Improved Precise Shot will be the king of the hill of burst DPS for 20 seconds out of every two minutes.

While this can hold true for a variety of builds, the more traditional traditional Arcane Archers left me wanting for the other 100 seconds. My options were either pew pew pewing with a slow rate of fire using a bow, or doing some middle of the road melee damage. This build is designed to overcome the melee weaknesses, take advantage of the racial choice and three multi-classes to have top of the food chain burst Many Shot damage and very strong two weapon fighting melee.

One of the things that allows for this is the Update 8 Half Elf. Half Elves? You mean that other race released with Half Orc? The very one! With the new enhancement lines for Half Elves, they become a contender for race of choice for any non-two handed fighting build.

Half Elves are like Halfling, Human and Elf all rolled into one. Like a halfling, we get sneak attack, only Helves get 10.5 average damage to a Halfling's 8. Like Elves, we get access to Arcane Archer, and with no penalty to starting constitution. From Humans we get balanced starting stats, +1 Human strength (and con if desired), racial toughness and the mighty Human Versatility.

Why this class split? Twelve fighter for Kensai II, Haste Boost IV, Fighter Str III and the abundant feats. Six ranger for the mana bar needed to qualify for Arcane Archer (Mental Toughness), the synergistic free feats (Bow Strength, Rapid Shot, Many Shot, TWF, ITWF), Sprint Boost, Ram's Might and +6 to two Favored Enemies. Two monk for primarily the two free feats needed to make the build work, but the class also comes with some very nice side benefits like evasion, better saves and handwrap use on 100% fort enemies.

Play style will be simple yet effective, using Many Shot for 20 seconds every two minutes, then closing ranks and cleaning up what's left with two Kensai focused heavy picks.

I will present my version, a 34 point build with a paladin past life feat, but a 32 point version will work almost as well (drop str to 17 and increase con to 14). Also, while I present the damage numbers using some end game gear that I have acquired, this build works very well with just a Silver Bow and decent set of easy to get picks (holy burst, shroud teir 2 or 3, or upgraded Rocksplitters). In short, it can work superbly for newer players, but vets willing to grind it out will see strong scaling benefits.

Helves Angel

Lawful Good (for monk levels)

Stats

60 Str: 18 +5 level ups +3 tome +6 item +3 ftr +1 racial +8 Power Surge +2 rage spell +2 Madstone +2 Ram's Might +2 Yugo pot +2 ship +3 exceptional +3 Abashi's= 62
    32 Con: 13 +2 tome +7 item +2 ship +2 rage spell +2 exceptional +4 Madstone = 32
    30 Dex: 17 +2 tome +6 item (situationally) +3 exceptional (situaltionally) +2 ship = 30
    12 Int: 8 +2 tome +2 ship = 12
    18 Wis: 8 +2 tome +6 item +2 ship = 18
    12 Cha: 8 +2 tome +2 ship = 12

High enough stats to use Silver Flame healing potions.

Feats

1. R: Point Blank Shot, (Bow Str), (FE: Outsider)
    2. R: (TWF), (Rapid Shot)
    3. R: Weapon Focus: Ranged, (Die Hard)
    4. R
    5. R: (FE: Undead or Elemental)
    6. R: Past Life Feat: Paladin, (ITWF), (Many Shot)
    7. M: Power Attack
    8. M: Toughness, (Evasion)
    9. F: Improved Crit: Pierce, Extend
    10. F: Stunning Blow (or Quick Draw)
    11. F
    12. F: Mental Toughness, GTWF
    13. F
    14. F: Improved Crit: Ranged
    15. F: Precise Shot
    16. F: Improved Precise Shot
    17. F
    18. F: Weapon Focus: Pierce, Weapon Specialization: Pierce
    19. F
    20. F: Greater Weapon Specialization: Pierce

Twenty-five feats chosen and (granted).

Extended PLF: Pali gives 12 mins per shrine of +3 to hit and +3 to damage. Extend also gives twelve minutes of Ram's Might, another +1 to hit and +3 to damage.

Dark, what if I want to make this build and don't have a paladin past life? Got you covered, swap two of Khopesh/Quick Draw/Stunning Blow for the PLF and Extend. That variation also works very well.

A quick note on khopesh vs. heavy picks. Both are viable, and khopesh will do a bit more damage on bosses. Picks will be superior for held/stunned mobs, which is most content (for me) at end game. With the huge to hit this build has, khopesh can be used without a proficiency, in cases where vorpaling makes sense, etc. Looking at the build as a whole, including the ranged aspects, having self cast extended Divine Favor is more appealing.

Skills

Max UMD, then fit in as available balance, hide and move silently.

A 36-38 UMD is attainable with some gear swapping, getting us close to no fail heal scrolls if really needed.

Enhancements

Arcane Archer (14)
    5 +5 Arrows
    5 Slayer Arrows
    4 Arcane Archer I

Fighter (41)
    10 haste Boost IV
    2 Weapon Specialization I
    2 Weapon Mastery II
    3 Attack Boost II
    3 Critical Accuracy II
    4 Kensai I
    2 Kensai II
    3 Toughness II
    12 Strength III

Ranger (4)
    3 FE Damage II
    1 Sprint Boost I

Half elf (21)
    2 Human Str I
    6 Rogue Dilettante II
    3 racial toughness
    10 Human Versatility IV

A note on skills. If one wanted more survivability while leveling, the cleric dilettante could be taken for 95% chance at scroll healing. Simply drop str to 16 and get wisdom to 13 starting. Lesser res back to the original build at 20 for more dps.

The Meat

Ranged Damage (Epic Thornlord)
    8 weapon
    4 weapon
    25 str
    2 ship
    4 claw set
    2 Shintao set
    2 Ram's
    1 Windhowler
    3 Divine Favor
    9 bard
    19 sneak attack
    6 Favored Enemy
    +85

Burst
    5 Human Versatility IV
    3 Titan Grip
    +93

With average base damage of 9, shots within thrity feet of a favored enemy will do 104 average per hit. Crits (using +2 seeker from Ravager's belt) will average 223, and get as high as 244. There will be an additional average of 25 damage a hit for Slayer Arrows, and 18 from the Windhowler Bracers (assuming it's always resisted), for 148 average damage per bow shot, 269/290 crits. Bursting brings it to 156, crits 293/314. Add in Haste Boosted IV Many Shot and you are a walking Ballista.

Melee Damage (Deathnips)
    5 weapon
    25 str
    5 Power Attack
    2 ship
    4 claw set
    2 Shintao set
    7 Ravager set
    1 Mastery
    2 Kensai
    4 Specialization
    2 Ram's
    3 Divine Favor
    9 bard
    19 sneak attack
    6 Favored Enemy
    +96

Burst
    5 Human Versatility IV
    3 Titan's Grip
    +104

Under ideal circumstances 101 per hit average, crits for 390 average. Bursting average hit 109, crits 422. Not too shabby for an Arcane Archer.

Understand you will not get ideal damage on every hit, hence why it's broken into sections. If you can acquire Epic Red Dragon Scale armor, add in additional flaming burst damage.

A note on pick choice. Lightning Strike 2 heavy picks will be competetive, and actually be slightly more DPS on auto-crit mobs, slightly less DPS on normal mobs.

From Consumer, calculated with very similar damage numbers:
    Totals:

lit II = 1688 + 829 + 428.5= 2945.5 damage / 20 = 147.28 average damage

Nips = 1162 + 1847.5 = 3009.5 damage / 20 = 150.48 average damage
    I love the unique look of Deathnips, and this is the Helves Angel afterall.

Gear

Head: Epic Helm of Frost/ Shroud Earth Grab Hit Points
    Neck: Shintao Cord/ AA necklace (situationally)
    Trinket: Epic Gem of Many Facets/ Bloodstone
    Cloak: Epic Envonomed/ Epic Mabar
    Belt: Ravager
    Boots: Epic Corrosion/ Madstone/ Anchoring
    Gloves: Epic Claw
    Goggles: Tharnes
    Ring 1: Shintao/ AA ring (situationally)
    Ring 2: Ravager
    Bracers: Wind Howler/ Epic Claw
    Armor: DT/ Epic Red Scale

This is not the build that will be the top sustained DPS title holder, but for burst DPS situations, the Helves Angel will be right up there. With it comes greater versatility, soloability and survivability than some of the more pure DPS builds out there (20 barb, 20 ftr).

Hit points will be about 630 in tank gear before double Madstone, about the abosulute minimum of what I like to see for an evasion tank. More would certainly be better.

As always I welcome comments and catches of the mistakes I always seem to make.

For those that make a Helves Angel I hope you enjoy it, and post your experiences with it in this thread. I will be TR-ing Duality of Man (much to the relief of my guild and channel mates) into this build on Khyber over the next several weeks, and will report back results.

Edit: Changed the order of the feats to get stunning blow sooner, extend much sooner for longer Divine Favors, and pushed back Kensai in order to get improved precise shot first after seeing just how much damage many shot is doing.

The other significant deviation from my original plan is that I have taken the cleric dilettante while leveling up. I still plan on swapping a feat and going rogue dilettante at 20, but having 95% success heal scrolls, no fail res, spell resistance, prot from evil, etc. has put soloability and group contribution at a whole new level.
    Last edited by Dark-Star; 06-26-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Guilds: Prophets of the New Republic & Revenents Khyber
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel
    Builds: Helves Angel Hurtlocker Dark Knight Riddle of Steel

I effing love this! Quick questions for you real fast though, cuz I may have to TR into this for my 36 point....

1. Which Prerequisites are you using to net AA, as I couldn't for the life of me figure this out

2. How might someone fit Khopesh into this, seeing as I've already made several on my Blitz (34pt)

3. Instead of Pally PL, would a Barb PL fit in better?

4. why not Rogue over Monk? or is Monk needed for the extra feat gained?

I tried using ranged when Smrti was still a Monster Build last life and loved the versatility of it.
    Let me know how it works!
    Last edited by Blank_Zero; 12-03-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Damn you for making me REALLY want to create another alt using this build.
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

Wow.. I have been trying to figure out how I wanted to TR my 18 ranger / 2 Fighter.. And I think you have come up with the perfect build for her! I do have a couple of questions, though:

- Would bastard swords be Ok to use with this build? It's what she's been using and I have not only a GS, but several very nice ones for all levels.

- What benefints do havin monk levels give? She does have Rahl's might to use in later levels if necessary, but I'm just curious as I have never played a monk before.
    Alts: Arieanne Wightsbane. Mercifulll Fate, Ariesta Tre'Dain, Conqueste Sojurne, Mysadventure Calamitas, Flawlless Victorie, Ransaque Bonus, Ingenius Debilitation, Persistence, Theholyhand Grenade, Dyerseve, and many others...

Quote Originally Posted by Blank_Zero View Post
    I effing love this! Quick questions for you real fast though, cuz I may have to TR into this for my 36 point....

1. Which Prerequisites are you using to net AA, as I couldn't for the life of me figure this out

2. How might someone fit Khopesh into this, seeing as I've already made several on my Blitz (34pt)

3. Instead of Pally PL, would a Barb PL fit in better?

4. why not Rogue over Monk? or is Monk needed for the extra feat gained?

I tried using ranged when Smrti was still a Monster Build last life and loved the versatility of it.
    Let me know how it works!
    Thanks for your reply and questions.

1. Not exactly sure what you mean here, but by simply being a Half Elf, you qualify for being an AA.

2. Khopesh is a very strong option, probably close in DPS on non-stunned/held mobs. Just drop extend, or if you have the pali plf, spec for khopesh in Kensai and forget about taing the proficiency, your to hit will be off the charts anyway.

3. Barb PLF would not be a good choice here, as the 30 second rage is the only benefit you'd get. The real bang for the buck on the barb PLF is what it does to your real barb rage. Take instead quick draw or stunning blow if you have extra feats to spare.

4. Monk gives extra feats needed to make the build work. In addition, rogue is not synergistic with the Helves Angel build: rogue dilettante does not stack with rogue sneak attack, we already have fighter for haste boost, we don't need UMD. For once, going rogue does nothing to enhance a build.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dark-Star; 12-03-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Arysta View Post
    Wow.. I have been trying to figure out how I wanted to TR my 18 ranger / 2 Fighter.. And I think you have come up with the perfect build for her! I do have a couple of questions, though:

- Would bastard swords be Ok to use with this build? It's what she's been using and I have not only a GS, but several very nice ones for all levels.

- What benefints do havin monk levels give? She does have Rahl's might to use in later levels if necessary, but I'm just curious as I have never played a monk before.
    Thanks for the comments.

1. Bastard swords would be a fine choice to use if you already have some crafted. As you gain new items over time, you can always switch to picks or khopeshes as you desire.

2. See comment 4 above. Monk works much better for the Helves Angel, and gives handwrap use on 100% fort mobs, which attacks 12.5% faster than other weapons. Additionally monks have the best saves progression in the game.

Hope you enjoy the build.
    Active:

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    Thanks for your reply and questions.

1. Not exactly sure what you mean here, but by simply being a Half Elf, you qualify for being an AA.

2. Khopesh is a very strong option, probably close in DPS on non-stunned/held mobs. Just drop extend, or if you have the pali plf, spec for khopesh in Kensai and forget about taing the proficiency, your to hit will be off the charts anyway.

3. Barb PLF would not be a good choice here, as the 30 second rage is the only benefit you'd get. The real bang for the buck on the barb PLF is what it does to your real barb rage. Take instead quick draw or stunning blow if you have extra feats to spare.

4. Monk gives extra feats needed to make the build work. In addition, rogue is not synergistic with the Helves Angel build: rogue dilettante does not stack with rogue sneak attack, we already have fighter for haste boost, we don't need UMD. For once, going rogue does nothing to enhance a build.

Good luck!
    1. Normally for Elven AA, you have to take some kinda of Prerequisite Enhancements, which is why Kensai AA's usually have 18 Fighter, 1 Ranger, and 1 Bard/Wiz lvl to net the prerequisite. Maybe I'm reading it wrong though?

2. Well, I'm going Blitz this build, so netting Heavy Picks and Khopesh together already is gonna rock, so I may as well use both eh?

3. Yeah, this is true... prolly will take quickdraw over Stun if I can... even though I LOVE my stuns.... =P

4. Saw these things after I commented... >.> alrighty then... but I do like having the Trapping abilities this life too lol. Put one rank in Open Lock and DD and at 15, I'm hitting locks and such with DC's in the mid 40's to low 50's lol. But oh well... >.>

It may be a while til I roll this out, seeing as I'm not even to 20 this life (and I'm gonna spend the time to grind out my gear this time around lol)

Nice build clean. I was trying to think of something better from a ranged/melee combination standpoint and was having trouble thinking of something other then to say if somebody wanted to make a more pure archer build there are some builds that will likley do more pure archer dps (for starters no weapon spec or greater weapon spec range).

Another point to make and I definitely agree about on this build is no shroud gear. Shroud gear is outdated on characters like this although you probably should fit in wizardy 6 on one of your epic items just to make sure you have enough spell points for ram's might, jump, arcane archer, and (pally past life?).
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member

1. Normally for Elven AA, you have to take some kinda of Prerequisite Enhancements, which is why Kensai AA's usually have 18 Fighter, 1 Ranger, and 1 Bard/Wiz lvl to net the prerequisite. Maybe I'm reading it wrong though?
    He's using Mental Toughness feat to satisfy AA prerequisites.

Glad you like my numbers. They don't apply perfectly to this build but there will be no large differences.

Personally I would swap extend for PA and add 2 Barb levels for 1 PA and 4 str along with other benefits. You lose DF duration but it should make no difference on a build that is designed to burst and move quickly through mobs and quests.

Would also swap to the FB set for an extra rage and extra damage during manyshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer View Post
    Glad you like my numbers. They don't apply perfectly to this build but there will be no large differences.

Personally I would swap extend for PA and add 2 Barb levels for 1 PA and 4 str along with other benefits. You lose DF duration but it should make no difference on a build that is designed to burst and move quickly through mobs and quests.

Would also swap to the FB set for an extra rage and extra damage during manyshot.
    Would that still.work though? I though the 2 monk was needed to net the other two feats that make it work? Or am I just lost again?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sibellya View Post
    He's using Mental Toughness feat to satisfy AA prerequisites.
    Maybe I'm just reading things wrong, or my toon generator is buggy?

Would that still.work though? I though the 2 monk was needed to net the other two feats that make it work? Or am I just lost again?
    He would lose toughness and extend.

1. R: Point Blank Shot, (Bow Str), (FE: Outsider)
    2. R: (TWF), (Rapid Shot)
    3. R: Weapon Focus: Ranged, (Die Hard)
    4. R
    6. R: Past Life Feat: Paladin, (ITWF), (Many Shot)
    7. B:
    8. B:
    9. F: Mental Toughness, Improved Crit: Pierce
    10. F: Improved Crit: Ranged
    11. F
    12. F: PA, GTWF
    13. F
    14. F: Weapon Focus: Pierce
    15. F: Precise Shot
    16. F: Weapon Specialization: Pierce
    17. F
    18. F: Improves Precise Shot, Greater Weapon Focus: Pierce
    19. F
    20. F: Greater Weapon Specialization: Pierce

He would lose toughness and extend.
    Doesn't he lose evasion and saves as well? Plus the ability to switch to handwraps as needed? Also, I thought extend was desirable on this build, seeing as the self buffs don't last quite long enough with only 6 levels?

I understand that the two barb lvls are great for the melee aspects dps, but I thought the main focus here was for ranged that could switch off?

Doesn't he lose evasion and saves as well? Plus the ability to switch to handwraps as needed? Also, I thought extend was desirable on this build, seeing as the self buffs don't last quite long enough with only 6 levels?

I understand that the two barb lvls are great for the melee aspects dps, but I thought the main focus here was for ranged that could switch off?
    Balls, I forgot that str doesn't increase bow damage for people with 1 or more Ranger levels and the fact that this build wont be using melee the majority of the time.

The hand wraps will do less DPS than the picks with +2 exceptional str ToD sets and only the first step of unarmed damage die. Saves and evasion matter on a DPS build?
    Last edited by Consumer; 12-04-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Balls, I forgot that str doesn't increase bow damage for people with 2 or more Ranger levels and the fact that this build wont be using melee the majority of the time.
    Can't tell if you're just being snarky with me or not...
    The hand wraps will do less DPS than the picks with +2 exceptional str ToD sets and only the first step of unarmed damage die. Saves and evasion matter on a DPS build?
    This includes the increased attack speed too, yes? And while never necessary, evasion and saves are nice for any toon, regardless of what their role is. And a ranger who doesn't have evasion? That just silly!

Can't tell if you're just being snarky with me or not...
    I'll try to make the sarcasm clearer.

I'll try to make the sarcasm clearer.
    Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    [B][U]
    1. R: (FE: Outsider)
    Not a biggie, but taking undead at 1st and EO at 5 may be slightly more beneficial.

Nice build. Love to see this thing with three past life ranger passive feats behind it but that is a lot of work. The 2 barb idea is nice too.

Another possible idea is 2 bard. This gets you almost the same sp as mental toughness and saves a feat, Grants umd for self healing, +2 damage song, and even a moderately workable if short fascinate.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast