Default Redwillow in The Core

**Spoiler Alert**

If you are unfamiliar with Redwillow, a level 6 in House Jorasco, and want to preserve the purity of your virgin run, read no further.

All others, heed this dolorous tale of death and woe.

Three adventurers set out on a quest to find one Falcor Redwillow and ask him "what's up?"

Elite, no choice because of our character levels and because it's a level 6 quest (elite once-and-done tier).

Moxthicar, level 9 bard/ranger
    Nazassin, level 9 rogue/wizard
    Mis-something, level 9 arcane archer/fighter

Mis has enough xp to level to 11 and will gain no xp if we complete the quest. Moxthicar had enough xp for 10. But it is the waning hours +2 loot boost and a greed consumes us. His real name, which I forget, is not important now because he is dead.

We use every trick in the book to crawl through the jungle and find our drow contact amid the ruins there. Falcor gave us a message to deliver to him. Along the way we fought and killed quite a few elite scorpions, a few monstrous named trolls, and an assortment of less impressive hobgoblins. Moxthicar kept the small party buffed with good hope. There wasn't enough mana for blurs or any other spells for that matter.

We found a group of gargoyles and had a heck of a time with a named granite. But we wanted his loot and decided he had to die. A lot of panicked running around, and wand whipping, and exhortions to turtle up! tumble! use your sprint boost! were followed by a semi-lucky break: Moxthicar hit the creature with a cursespewing bow and it failed it's save (after making repeated saves before). With the foe cursed, the bard made him dance, and that was the end of him.

Finally, we found our drow contact. He looked a bit forbidding in his green robes and he oozed arcane might. The guards in his attendance meant we would be outnumbered 2 to 1. Best to surround him with daggers drawn.

Upon giving him the message, he unleashed a barrage of infernal power and we were all critically wounded. Despite our attacks, he had about half his health left. And then the squirming fish slipped from our grasp. Moxthicar's heart sank. Three things NEEDED to happen all at once if we were to survive: we needed to kill the caster, we needed to heal up, and we needed to fascinate those guards. With a split second to decide, Moxthicar sprang away from the caster and hit his sprint boost. Just as his scorched lips were preparing a song to control the crowd, blows landed upon him and he was dead.

Mis and Naz killed the caster, but in the next instant were killed by the guards.

Top that for dolorous... I often tell achievement stories and do a little chest thumping along the lines of accomplishment. But sometimes you suffer a death and lose a toon and the ability to bury the dead is greater than any accomplishment.

Redwillow elite, 3 man, hardcore. That's The Core and I don't mind bragging about the loss.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Valiant effort!

I definitely agree that sometimes the defeats stand out as much or more than the victories.

Our hardcore static group wiped last night... we tried to do Sharn on elite...

We were all level 3.

I still think we may have been able to finish but in Bookbinder a charmed mob pulled that entire hallway, as well as the named caster downstairs...
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Outstanding, the ability to put it all on one roll of the dice and if lost, start from scratch, is worth more then winning sometimes.

Congratulations on the try, and commiserations on the loss of characters, may they rest in glory.

Coit out~ (newly converted PD player)
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket Coittimeh Coitburner Coitin Luciforge Batgirly Coithealz Coithippie StealthCoit: Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Talltale-Storyteller View Post
    Valiant effort!

I definitely agree that sometimes the defeats stand out as much or more than the victories.

Our hardcore static group wiped last night... we tried to do Sharn on elite...

We were all level 3.

I still think we may have been able to finish but in Bookbinder a charmed mob pulled that entire hallway, as well as the named caster downstairs...
    Ouch! Sharn elite with level 3's would definitely be dicey.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Meh...you didn't die bad enough for a congratulations...

M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Meh...you didn't die bad enough for a congratulations...

Haha! Hard core, baby!

PD, the most fun you can have in DDO... pass it on.
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber

Superb effort! But really only 3 in elite? Come on.
    And if I remember the Drow is optional!
    Why didn't you tried Fascinate at the begin? Then fight one at once!

My thinking at the time was, "Take down the caster first, then fascinate the guards." Giving the caster ample opportunity to unleash spell after spell upon us was something we wanted to avoid at all costs.

However, if I had it all to do over, I would have someone bombard him with ranged attack, out of his spell range, while my bard fascinated the others. Coulda, woulda, shoulda, that's permadeath...
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber