Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face DDO For Game Consoles

I'm sitting around today waiting for my turkey to get done, and the brain started thinkin. Wouldn't it be cool if ddo was sold for game console not just pc. Playing on your 360, with the people play on their pc. Just an idea I thought I would share.

Not worth the effort it would take.

Actually the effort would be worth it. It would bring a whole new world to mmorpgs and to gaming itself. you can do pretty much everything with your game console these days, why not connect to a ddo server or wow server. Yes you would have to actually put some work into it. Not just an update. But if someone had the nuts to do it then it would open doors for new greater things.

Gah double post! Cursed phone! And now your quote is BEFORE my post.

*buckles helmet and waits for the universe to implode*
    Last edited by GBantaR; 11-25-2010 at 08:36 PM.
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by GBantaR View Post
    It seems...wrong somehow. I don't know why.

For one thing I don't know if it's marketable to console gamers.

For another I don't know how you could ever translate action bars to a console controller.

For another I think this would increase the number of d-bags in the game.

I'm sure there would have to be a negotiation, some copy right laws to rewrite.

The playing with a gaming controller it's a plroblem at all. ddo can be played with a controller if you didnt know. I played with one for years, i couldn't imagine ddo without it.

And for your last statement your right on that. But just remember there is d-bags everywhere in ddo. With those d-bags comes great players aswell.

Community Member

Default /signed

I currently don't but other people play ddo with a game controller

I would love to be able to play ddo on my ps3, it may even be possible to set up multiplayer split screen. Imagine a quest where you and your RL friend who both play ddo are going to duo a quest, and you both play on the same screen
    Home server of Argo

beastslyer -20 monk who tr'd and his leveling to a 12/8 fighter/monk half elf
    beastspellz - 20 warforged wizard - pale master

Sounds like what they did to Final Fantasy. It will no doubt bring new money in but ultimately it's up to Turbine to decide whether:

Profit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Developmental costs/planning/time/effort
    In case you didn't already notice, my posts that end with must NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, be taken seriously.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3012617

It seems...wrong somehow. I don't know why.

For one thing I don't know if it's marketable to console gamers.

For another I don't know how you could ever translate action bars to a console controller.

For another I think this would increase the number of d-bags in the game, based on the casual observation that lots of d-bags' parents will buy them a console, but LESS will buy them a computer, and few of those will go to the trouble of installing a game on it.
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by GBantaR View Post

It can be done, and I know at least one player who currently uses a controller. It is not the most eloquent solution and not how an actual console game would do it.

Now, to undertake such a task would require hiring new staff which would require more capital and most likely taking staff that are currently working on improving the game off to help get the translation done.

There will also be the issue of making sure everything can be done on the console which could dumb down the game (DC Universe Online which is being developed for both the PS3 and PC has this issue so the game will lack in certain areas because of this).

It is not like they can sell a box for the game since it is free on the PC so it would have to fall on getting all the money back from new subs and from the DDO store, which I don't see it getting enough attention on the PS3 to do so.

X-Box 360 is pretty much not going to happen, based on the troubles Cryptic had with Microsoft when trying to get Champions Online on the 360 (since they want downloads on their system handled a certain way and want a nice big piece of the money pie for themselves).

Also they would probably have to deal with Atari again to expand beyond the PC.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cataclysm View Post
    It is not like they can sell a box for the game since it is free on the PC so it would have to fall on getting all the money back from new subs and from the DDO store, which I don't see it getting enough attention on the PS3 to do so.
    While the other points you make are problems, i dont think this one will be.
    First, if turbine wanted to sell a 30$ box copy, it would give 2 months of free vip plus premium access for that account
    Also it could be offered at 40$ and 50$ dollar boxes, which give 3 and 4 months each to of VIP to encourage people to buy theses versions

Also there doesn't even need to be a boxed version. It could be downloadable for free from the Playstation store, or xbox live. Of course, an account would still only be ftp with this option

The biggest problem i see is the time spent making the transfer. I would expect atleast 6 months without any game updates, maybe a couple bug fixes. I'm would happily have no new content for 6 months in exchange for a console option, but many other players would be very unhappy with this
    Home server of Argo

beastslyer -20 monk who tr'd and his leveling to a 12/8 fighter/monk half elf
    beastspellz - 20 warforged wizard - pale master

It can be done, and I know at least one player who currently uses a controller. It is not the most eloquent solution and not how an actual console game would do it.

Now, to undertake such a task would require hiring new staff which would require more capital and most likely taking staff that are currently working on improving the game off to help get the translation done.

There will also be the issue of making sure everything can be done on the console which could dumb down the game (DC Universe Online which is being developed for both the PS3 and PC has this issue so the game will lack in certain areas because of this).

X-Box 360 is pretty much not going to happen, based on the troubles Cryptic had with Microsoft when trying to get Champions Online on the 360 (since they want downloads on their system handled a certain way and want a nice big piece of the money pie for themselves).

Also they would probably have to deal with Atari again to expand beyond the PC.
    you pretty much said what Ayumi said but with more blah in the middle... Profit>>>>>>>>>> Developmental costs/planning/time/effort

Quote Originally Posted by underworldx1x View Post
    While the other points you make are problems, i dont think this one will be.
    First, if turbine wanted to sell a 30$ box copy, it would give 2 months of free vip plus premium access for that account
    Also it could be offered at 40$ and 50$ dollar boxes, which give 3 and 4 months each to of VIP to encourage people to buy theses versions

Also there doesn't even need to be a boxed version. It could be downloadable for free from the Playstation store, or xbox live. Of course, an account would still only be ftp with this option
    With a box copy, there is the issue of no publisher since the former publisher got sued by Turbine. Turbine itself doesn't have the infrastructure to take on that job.

And with it being a free download, it would be much harder to recover the costs associated with making it.

Quote Originally Posted by lbroyles View Post
    you pretty much said what Ayumi said but with more blah in the middle... Profit>>>>>>>>>> Developmental costs/planning/time/effort
    Clearly you missed the part where I said I highly doubt this would be anywhere near successful on a console for the profits to outweigh the costs put into it.

Community Member

On a side note your can use a controller like a console game on your PC.

My question what kind of controller would you need?

EG:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-...=1192233008066

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech...&skuId=9282224

or this traditional style controller work

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech...&skuId=1260591

?

This is my problem with doing it on a console.

The game is already easy enough as it is. I don't want to see things completely dumbed down for a console.

I've played several of the same games on both console and the PC. I was mostly curious but there have been times that I didn't have a PC capable of running a game but it was available for the console I had.

Quake for example I played on the PC first. Lots of stuff to do. Plenty of levels. Good motion and the mouse keyboard was so much more finessable and way better as a form of control. Played the same game on the Playstation just to see what was different. Total cr@p.

Tried Command and Conquer on the console first this time and had the same results. The PC version was sooooooooo much better.

Grand Theft Auto IV. Same results.

The above are a few examples but in every case that I did try the same game on the console and PC, the games had to be dumbed down for the console to be able to play well and I don't like that. There was also not enough content for the console version but now that they do have some storage capacity this isn't so much of a problem.

Just keep it on the PC. Don't have to spend money on a dev team just to port it over and instead can just focus on spending money on new content.

I've also read that there might be some problems with Microsoft payments. I'm not totally understanding how their system works but the jist of it is that if Microsoft isn't going to get any money, they won't go for this game on their system especially since this game is free to download and free to play. Sony will probably be in the same frame of mind as Microsoft.
    Last edited by KillEveryone; 11-26-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    Disappointed and without trust in the powers that be.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Fansites

Community Member

Maybe it is possible for Melee, it will be hard for Arcanes and Divines. (I'm already having trouble with a mouse )

And you will also see in the LFM "No Consoles!"
    "PCs only"
    "BYOK, bring your own keyboard"

Default Probably not going to happen

but not because Turbine wouldn't want to. Turbine developed (the rumour goes they had it ready) a console version of LotRO for the Xbox but Microsoft didn't like the free to play model and killed it.

http://ddocast.com/2010/06/28/patch-...s-hereish.aspx
    Don't feed the trolls.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KillEveryone View Post
    This is my problem with doing it on a console.

The game is already easy enough as it is. I don't want to see things completely dumbed down for a console.

I've played several of the same games on both console and the PC. I was mostly curious but there have been times that I didn't have a PC capable of running a game but it was available for the console I had.

Quake for example I played on the PC first. Lots of stuff to do. Plenty of levels. Good motion and the mouse keyboard was so much more finessable and way better as a form of control. Played the same game on the Playstation just to see what was different. Total cr@p.

Tried Command and Conquer on the console first this time and had the same results. The PC version was sooooooooo much better.

Grand Theft Auto IV. Same results.

The above are a few examples but in every case that I did try the same game on the console and PC, the games had to be dumbed down for the console to be able to play well and I don't like that.
    I find your statement quite amusing.
    I read an article about Microsoft setting up a system
    where PC gamers competed against console gamers.

It got ditched pretty fast.

There is simply no way the hand held controller can compete with a mouse and keypad.
    The controller is FAR to limited as to what it can do compared to a PC
    Here is a piece from the article

What happened was that the combined service, or whatever you want to call it, was moving along smoothly, even getting to the testing stages. That is, testing between console gamers over here and PC gamers over there. Console gamers would be using their standard controller and PC gamers would be using their standard mouse and keyboard.

Every single time the PC gamer killed the console gamer. And I don’t mean killed as in “fragged,” but killed as in the PC gamer knocked the teeth out of the console gamers every single time.

So partially for this reason—console gamers didn’t stand a chance against PC gamers—that Microsoft decided to kill the project.

Why not? Huge amount of potential players there and they are used to pay for DLC - unlike pc gamers.

In addition, I remember that some loading screen tip said that DDO is playable with gamepad. So looks like they have thought that out already.

Lots of work should be done to get this work. That's for sure. But it would probably profit Turbine a lot. If I was working for Turbine in marketing/bussiness sector I would go for this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite_Prowler View Post
    I find your statement quite amusing.
    I read an article about Microsoft setting up a system
    where PC gamers competed against console gamers.

It got ditched pretty fast.

There is simply no way the hand held controller can compete with a mouse and keypad.
    The controller is FAR to limited as to what it can do compared to a PC
    Here is a piece from the article
    I read that article also.

Thanks for finding it. I was looking for it to post here.
    Disappointed and without trust in the powers that be.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Fansites

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

No they would have to dumb it down to the console level I haven't seen a game that worked on both that I would pay for AoC promised it didnt happen I think Champions online promised it don't think it has happened yet either. Plus the marketing nightmares it would open up I mean the access to the microsoft newwork thing for those machines, it would take away more than it would bring in maybe someday with a game designed for it from the start but I dont see it.
    Last edited by Uska; 11-26-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Beware the Sleepeater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast