Default How do you define 'Iron Man' play in DDO?

I've seen the term used occasionally and at first I thought it referred to a certain group make up but I've also seen it mentioned a lot in regards to PD play.

So what's implied if someone talks about running an Iron Man group?

Groups where you run with Robert Downey Junior?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    Groups where you run with Robert Downey Junior?

You know the first title I made for this thread was 'How do you define Iron Man?' but I saw the jokes coming. So I was slick and added the 'play in DDO' to make my topic air-tight...

BUT YOU STILL FOUND A WAY!

nice work^^

and for the record I bet RDJ would be fun to play DDO with.

I suppose some people could have different meanings, but to me, ironman means non-stop play for an extended period of time (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman).

So to play/run an ironman group would mean minimal breaks and long hours of continuous playtime (I would assume 24+).

I believe ironman play in DDO generally means limited or no purchase.

Many years ago, there was a mythical ironman group in DDO. They were a secret group descended from Neverwinter Nights. In order to conceal their identities, they didn't form a guild and they never posted on the forums. Despite no external record of their existence, they numbered in the thousands. They completed all content in the game up to level fourteen. Mind you, this was a time when the best weapon in the game was a flaming sword. Perhaps some day the legendary ironmen will return, but until then, we've only fables passed down from previous generations...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I believe ironman play in DDO generally means limited or no purchase.

Many years ago, there was a mythical ironman group in DDO. They were a secret group descended from Neverwinter Nights. In order to conceal their identities, they didn't form a guild and they never posted on the forums. Despite no external record of their existence, they numbered in the thousands. They completed all content in the game up to level fourteen. Mind you, this was a time when the best weapon in the game was a flaming sword. Perhaps some day the legendary ironmen will return, but until then, we've only fables passed down from previous generations...
    /barf Nice try on the bait, I give it a D-

No need to conceal identities, but back then, a guild was a glorified friends list and nothing more. Only recently did guilds become something other than a unified name people play under. Only in DDO have I seen PD -OR- Ironman play strictly done in guild only groups. In most other games, its not necessary or common to create a specific guild for this purpose.

Anyhow, Ironman in a RPG is when you restrict materials, money, and gear acquisition, in order to create an atmosphere where skill isnt replaced with gear. It is easier to maintain when the DM / REF has total control over the realm.

In DDO it is possible to play ironman in most content, but many of the higher level quests are designed for having a certain level of gear that can only really be acquired in raids. The power creep is such that ironman play at 17-20 would be very difficult, because many of the quests at that level are designed knowing that people have shroud weapons, TOD weapons, TRed so they can use them at 12 and up etc....

This of course is ridiculed by those who feel that they are the single shining star in PD or hardcore play. Theres no possible way that people were ever playing PD unguilded or in separate regular guilds with specific declared PD toons!! Screenshot or it never happened. I noticed in their assessment of how many people play the game currently with PD rules, some rough estimation of how many people play PD sans guild were included. Tsk tsk.

And the old school accomplishment forums contains quite a few posts where people ran all the content, when it was current, along with many bantering of semantics with some antics about who was playing real PD -vs- who wasnt on the same high horse. We wonder why people keep this stuff mostly to themselves and their tight knit groups of friends nowdays? Concealing? Nay.
    Last edited by Chai; 11-28-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

That's the problem with permadeath. Never any credit where it's due. That was a solid B effort.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard