Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can see Russ.. I mean Turbine HQ from my front porch

Quote Originally Posted by Draxt1 View Post
    HELP!!!! pc died and looks like I've burn out my dual linked graphics cards

I've read loads of reviews on replacements etc but as I'm no techno guy I really haven't got a clue so any advice in noob language would be very helpful also is it better to go for a single bigger card???
    I know you state that you are not too puter savvy, but a little more info would also be good.

What type of cards are you running?

Have you tried your cards one at a time not SLI/crossfire to see if just one of your cards are bad?

If neither worked, did you try to use your motherboards onboard GPU to see if it's you MOBO that's bad and not your cards? (hell MOBOs are cheaper than vid cards most of the time)

If only one of your cards are bad you could just run one card or buy another of the same to still run them "linked"
    ........................................... I <3 22/7
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*
    When asking for buffs, always ask for the Axer Package

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Draxt1 View Post
    No idea why!!! going to do some playing but as got twin linked a bit surprised as GE7600's and had little or no problem till recently. Only play DDO and surf the net
    You've got 2 cards running, heat issues aren't that surprising or rare. Might be an idea to invest in better cooling, more specifically a good case. Personally, I think the extra price of a good case is well worth it considering you can keep it for years.

My main rig uses a Inn03d factory overclocked Nvidea 295gtx, and it's about as good as it gets (it's 2 cards sandwiched into one, so you've the advantages of the horsepower without the tuning problems you'll have with some driver sets for games otherwise).

My secondary rig uses a Zotac Nvidea factory overclocked 8800gt which is where i play most of DDo, and it has zero problems as well (though i had to tune the card's overclock down a little initially - it's getting old and wasn't 100% stable in factory trim)

The cost difference between them? About 800 dollars, worth noting, i wouldn't trade my gtx295 for anything, but, it's not really necessary, DDO is not nearly as graphically demanding (and yes, i run max everything settings) as some other things.

Coit out~
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket Coittimeh Coitburner Coitin Luciforge Batgirly Coithealz Coithippie StealthCoit: Ghallanda

OK missed the GeForce 7600 part. This will date your rig a bit. No PCIe 2.0 and to the older gen CPUs. Before you go throwing cash at this rig I would tell you that your best bet is just to keep it running at the lowest cost you can. If you have 1 bad card out of your 2 I'd say just run on the one. You most likely have a Geforce 5250 or 6150 on your MOBO which will still run the game, all be it on a lower res if needed. You are looking at either doing with what you have, or upgrading to a new PC. I do not believe the 7600 is still made but you can find them on EBay and Amazon, but it's actually cheaper to buy something like an 8400 or 9500 card.

If you are fine with your PC as is, then just throw in a 9500gt card for about 50 bucks. anything more would be just wasting your cash.
    Sassy, Babbette, Migette, Snip, Phatass, Bimbette, Sassette, Wentch, Duelingbanjo, Jaillbait, Sticki *WARNING* ALL PM'S ARE OPEN TO POSTING *WARNING*

GeForce GTX 460 will run you 199.99

if it can handle SCII on ultra high quality it can handle just about anything :P
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by uhgungawa View Post
    As he said "Ignore this advice, its absolute tosh. " with just a little research anyone with half a brain cell will learn that ATI has had a history with driver issues. They can be worked around, but if you are not puter savy n the least this might not be something that you would want to deal with.
    You really have no clue, do you? Why don't you re-read my post and see the list of ATI cards that I've used with this game with no driver issues what-so-ever. Not only that, Nvidia are not infallible and there less frequently updated drivers have had issues with other games as well.

The only time ATI have had consistent driver issues is back at the damn-of-time-of-3D-accelerators when they were producing the 3D-Rage cards, before the Radeon brand had even been dreamt of. So, 1991-95?

Visit any computer enthusiast forum in the world, you'll see that both companys are capable of making mistakes but also of producing great cards.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlathen View Post
    You really have no clue, do you? Why don't you re-read my post and see the list of ATI cards that I've used with this game with no driver issues what-so-ever. Not only that, Nvidia are not infallible and there less frequently updated drivers have had issues with other games as well.

The only time ATI have had consistent driver issues is back at the damn-of-time-of-3D-accelerators when they were producing the 3D-Rage cards, before the Radeon brand had even been dreamt of. So, 1991-95?

Visit any computer enthusiast forum in the world, you'll see that both companys are capable of making mistakes but also of producing great cards.
    You are the clueless one here. The OP said that he was not computer savvy. Weather or not YOU have had good luck with ATI does not equate to an absolute measure. ATI even admits to it's less than perfect record. But to their credit they are always working on them. And yes nVidia can have issues as well, but just much less often.

And then we get to the part we he has an older PC (yes I missed this to). If he has two 7600's in SLI chances are his MOBO is set up for nVidia and before the"any card will just work" MOBO's. So go ahead Mr. Twit, tell him ATI is the way to go with his set up and skill level. I'll just try to give the helpful info to let him make a sound decision on his own.

OP, here is a couple thin gs you want to look at as well. There are 2 types of slots for the 7600. AGP and PCIe. So you will want to look at your mother board and see what type of expansion slots you have to work with.

AGP.................................................. ............PCIe
    ///\\\

And the slots look like this

And if you go with a PCIe 2.0 a little info

** There are 3 types of cardbus slots currently available: PCI, AGP, and PCI Express (PCIe 2.0 is compatible with PCIe slot)**

PCI - The most widely used I/O bus, it provides a shared data path between the CPU and peripheral controllers, such as network, display, SCSI and RAID cards. Though limited in terms of performance, they are considered the best value when you upgrade your video capabilities on a PC. The PCI interface can be found and used in nearly any motherboard.

AGP - The AGP slot is next in line of higher graphic performance. It was designed especially for the throughput demands of 3-D graphics. It offers up to 8x improvement over a PCI card, is 32 bits wide and runs at 66 MHz. It provides a direct connection between the card and memory, and only one AGP slot is on the motherboard. The motherboard must be equipped with an AGP bus slot for an AGP card to be compatible.(AGP 1x provided a data transfer rate of 264 Mbytes/sec. AGP 2x is 528 Mbytes/sec. AGP 4x is 1 Gbyte/sec. AGP 8x is 2 Gbytes/sec.)

PCI Express - PCI Express is the newest technology that is superior to both PCI and AGP, in terms of graphic performance. It offers performance as much as 4x faster than the fastest AGP 8X slot. PCI Express connections can support fast data transfer rates, which can be used to connect high-speed devices such as high-end video cards. The slots come in different variations and speeds, such as x1, x4, x8, and x16. Presently, most high-end motherboards meant for design, video production, or gaming come with PCI express slots. To use a PCI Express card, your computer must have at least one available PCI Express slot.

And although PCIe2.0 can go into a PCIe slot, buying too high end of a card is wasted due to the fact that you will still cap out at the normal PCIe rate
    Last edited by uhgungawa; 11-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.

omg don't give me nightmares, the first pci ever built was an ibm dx2 66, with a massive 540meg hard disk and a whopping 2 meg of graphics memory mind you that was in 1996 :P
    ....................................ARE WE THERE YET?
    The Non Phesant Pluckers, Aureon, Keeper: slip, chianna, cheerie, nightnurse, ooolana, cypress

Bah, not so bad. I have a Gateway core duo that was given to me sitting next to my desk. It's a 1.8 duo with no PCIe slot on the MOBO, but it will still work as an emergency back up if needed

Quote Originally Posted by Anneliese View Post
    Dual-Cards usually are a lot of trouble compared to one card - they might make sense if you want the best of the best.

At the moment, a GTX 460 or a Ati 6850 are pretty good for their price.
    last time i looked DDO DOSE SUPPORT XFIRE AND SLI -------BUT----- DOSE NOT USE THEM. if you only play ddo do not bye more than 1 card its a wast of time, mony and makes some problems. (for those that do not underer stand suport means it will work by using only the main card the 2nd 3rd 4th siting idle doing nothing in DDO beter to put the mony in to one more powerfull card)

i use a GTX 285 max every thing setting wise and a vary 35-400 fps. (recomend you never go below 25FPS)

Power wise 250w my hole power hungry system on stress tests YOU DO NOT NEED 1000w POWER SUPPLYS unless you run 10 dvd burneres at the same time on a SLI4 system with 20 HDD

problem i have is i can use up to DirectX 10 look for a card that will do up to DirectX 11. as that is what the game suports at the moment some cards listed so fare don't (GT8XXX GTX 2XX or ATI 4XXX and below)so BAD advice by them. 95% of all moden cards are PCI-E x16 so go that way if you MOBO dosent take it i recomend a new PC

Edit GTX 295 is a SLI card and only runs at 50% in DDO (its 2x GTX260 that fits in to 1 pcie slot) wast of mony if you only play ddo
    Last edited by DarkieUK; 11-28-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12