Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Never thought to add soloability. In general, almost all lowbie content can be readily soloed EXCEPT the Necropolis chains (each of which contains at least one quest or raid that is absolutely impossible to solo).
    If one is not opposed to using hirelings, though, Necro 1-3 can be soloed. They're still tough to solo at level, but definitely doable with a hireling.

Regarding general soloability - there is a very good list of quests that could cause problems for solo players posted by Ukenburger here.
    I see what you did there!

Quote Originally Posted by T.T View Post
    And about Attack on Stormreach? What were the first impressions?
    /seconded

Quote Originally Posted by T.T View Post
    And about Attack on Stormreach? What were the first impressions?
    First impressions: Reasonably good quests, but at a level where (except on a 36 point build) you probably don't need extra quests. Better than Necro 3, but not nearly as good as the other packs it competes with (Necro 4, Gianthold, Desert) all of which offer a lot more replayability.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Default just a friendly bump

Hope you don't mind if I bump this

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    First impressions: Reasonably good quests, but at a level where (except on a 36 point build) you probably don't need extra quests. Better than Necro 3, but not nearly as good as the other packs it competes with (Necro 4, Gianthold, Desert) all of which offer a lot more replayability.
    It's true you don't *need* them since you can get enough XP by farming GH, but they're fun and add some more variety! And some of the loot is quite decent

Thread Bump....I earned enough TP by favor to buy another pack and had to search for this review...lol.

Love this thread, it's one of only five threads on the forums I keep permanently bookmarked, gave you rep.

Not sure XP/minute matters as much as total XP offered, though, since as non-VIP players (the only ones who need these reviews) a major concern is just having enough xp to level to 20 regardless of how long it takes.

I'll happily run Kobold Assault 20 times if it means being able to advance a level I otherwise couldn't for lack of quests to run despite Kobold Assault being one of the worst XP/minute quests in the entire game.

I guess I'm thinking that XP/minute applies more to VIP players or those who already own enough packs to comfortably level to 20*. For the pure F2P demographic, the key xp metric is XP/TP and how sparse the free content XP is at the pack's level. As a premium player trying to not spend too much money and who only owns Vale and (soon to be) Gianthold, those are two of my only three concerns. (The other being TP/Favor, with the specific goal of wanting to get to 1750.)

I originally discarded these reviews because my quick spot check of Tangleroot Gorge seemed to directly contradict your review, where you concluded:

"XP: 8/10. Some parts of this chain offer the zerger over 1200 XP/minute."

When ranked by XP/TP, Tangleroot Gorge is 22nd out of 26 adventure packs, one of the worst pure-xp purchases you can make. It's also below average (18th of 26) in terms of Favor/TP, so all told it really doesn't appear to be a good value purchase. Plus it's at a level where there is plenty of F2P content anyway.

I hope this doesn't come across as a huge criticism, because it's not at all. I'm incredibly appreciative of both your willingness to share your experience and all the hard work that clearly went into posting these reviews. Many thanks.

*Which, in hindsight, is probably the majority of people who need these reviews. So actually XP/minute is probably the better metric to include if you only inclue one.
    Last edited by EllisDee37; 03-17-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added color to asterisk to make it easier to spot

hmm, the above post does raise a good point now that i think of it. Thinking far back into the mists of time, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and i was just starting DDO, i really didnt care how long a given quest took, as long as i got my xps, i was just sort of enjoying the ride, not hardcore levelling to 20 in a week. The only time xp mattered per se was when i was really close to levelling, or if it felt like there werent enough quests to get me up a level.

It really would be more logical just to include the total base xp of all the quests i think, as well as the already typed xp value/minute
    Last edited by stille_nacht; 03-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    adversity is something we face every day - for a true test, give someone power

Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Click the arrow for Intro to Multiclassing
    Quote Originally Posted by stille_nacht View Post
    Frugal Pack Buying Guide

Awesome thread!!! TY FOR IT! But I also think that the Carnival is an awesome pack :P.

Why a carnival? Can you think of a better way to get an army of acrobatic/magic using/weird ppl into a town without anybody suspecting something? Circus is also a good idea, but the carnival is bigger :P. Any other way and ppl might get suspicious... I have only 3 packs so far (I bought this one to go with a friend who is a VIP) and I had the time of my life XD. The first part was so/so but the mastermind was an awesome fight (there is nothing better than going there for first time, doing all optionals and the other party member's lie that this is the toughest fight at this lvl and you getting prepared for the fun XD). The third part was cool, but the last one rocked...and the assistants were also funny, or leaving the rogue alone to do the games... and find himself alone and surrounded by enemies XD. I think that the 2nd and the third parts deserve more :P

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog
    Also, what are the undead Giants doing down here?
    I thought I read somewhere in-game that it used to be a crypt for the giants, before people moved into Stormreach?

Edit:Vale is now 850 TP points..
    Server: CANNITH
    Respect the objective or you'll fail...

When is Lamannia coming back up?

Default Restless Isles

It is the worst pack. Impossible to gather a party for this one.
    Last edited by Kistrel; 04-11-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Community Member AmatsukaIncarnate's Avatar

I bought Tangleroot because of this thread but I'm actually not that big of a fan...until I got the shared bank.

I find that the quests in it are so similar to each other and when you are speed running it for the XP/minute that everyone talks about, it literally feels like you are doing the same quest over and over again because all of them have the same setting.

The loot is really phenomenal only if you have a shared bank for your lowbies. I think that w/o a shared bank that tangleroot should not be placed all that high on priority buys...

I prefer Delera's because all the quests are at least varied in location and in completion...

When ranked by XP/TP, Tangleroot Gorge is 22nd out of 26 adventure packs, one of the worst pure-xp purchases you can make. It's also below average (18th of 26) in terms of Favor/TP, so all told it really doesn't appear to be a good value purchase. Plus it's at a level where there is plenty of F2P content anyway.
    But it's House P favor, which is otherwise not super easy to get in good quantities. The phiarlan pendant of time is amazingly helpful at all levels, and the tier1 buff list is -far- better than what J favor gets you.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    But it's House P favor, which is otherwise not super easy to get in good quantities. The phiarlan pendant of time is amazingly helpful at all levels, and the tier1 buff list is -far- better than what J favor gets you.
    That's exactly what I was about to say. The pendant is reaaaally good.

And also, about the xp: I agree to talk about total xp and xp/time.

By the way, is there any thread or some information, on any site, about quests optional XP?
    Because you know there are some quests that offer poor base XP, but lots of high XP optionals that make them much better.

A great example is the Tear of Dhakaan, that gives 3940 base XP on normal, but a boosted 190% for optionals. So, total XP becomes 11426.

And one example of a quest that offers much base XP and optionals is The Chamber of Raiyum, that gives 6400 xp as base on normal, with the total xp being 21120.

Assuming that I don't know that, if I see somewhere that the quest gives 6400 xp on that lvl I would be interested, but not as much as I would be knowing the maximum value could be 20k+ !!!!!!

Oh, forgot to say thanks, and point out that I too used your last guide to buy my packs, as I'm premium and have a limited amount of TP!
    Last edited by jejeba86; 05-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Community Member

I'm not really interested in quests that just get me to a higher level ASAP. I want quests that I will enjoy playing as a game. What I'd like to know is which low level pack is best for that. I've bought Catacombs and STK and want something more interestign that doesn't have to be done on one long session.

I'd also appreciate advice on whether I should buy several low level packs to help me gain favor or save the TPs to buy better mid and hight level packs.

Thanks for all the great advice so far

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by santiago66 View Post
    I'm not really interested in quests that just get me to a higher level ASAP. I want quests that I will enjoy playing as a game. What I'd like to know is which low level pack is best for that. I've bought Catacombs and STK and want something more interestign that doesn't have to be done on one long session.

I'd also appreciate advice on whether I should buy several low level packs to help me gain favor or save the TPs to buy better mid and hight level packs.

I think almost everyone will agree that if you are trying to get to level 20 while spending the least amount of turbine points, you should not buy any low level adventure packs. There are more low level quests than you can run before out-levelling them. However, at the mid-level there are far fewer quests, so you need to buy some adventure packs to reach level cap unless you want to run the same few quests repeatedly.

Typical suggestions are Vale of Twilight, Ruins of Gianthold, Sands of Menechtarun (sp?), Devils of Shavarrath, Necropolis 4...

Quote Originally Posted by Bozone View Post

I think almost everyone will agree that if you are trying to get to level 20 while spending the least amount of turbine points, you should not buy any low level adventure packs. There are more low level quests than you can run before out-levelling them. However, at the mid-level there are far fewer quests, so you need to buy some adventure packs to reach level cap unless you want to run the same few quests repeatedly.
    Do you even recognize that that response is exactly what the post you quoted said they're NOT interested in? Santiago66 explicitly said "I'm not really interested in quests that just get me to a higher level ASAP" and you replied with information about "if you are trying to get to level 20" and "to reach level cap". This game is about adventuring, not leveling. Leveling is just a mechanic it uses to provide some variety in your abilities.

Also, there are not "more low level quests than you can run before out-levelling them", because you can always run stuff before out-leveling it. This game doesn't have forced leveling like some others. (If it did, I wouldn't still be level 3.) You don't need to go up in level until you decide you want to, (which presumably would be after you've finished all the content at your current level that you're interested in).
    Last edited by Raiar; 05-13-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Give a few examples of quests or quest-types you really like, so that we can make suggestions.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raiar View Post
    Do you even recognize that that response is exactly what the post you quoted said they're NOT interested in? Santiago66 explicitly said "I'm not really interested in quests that just get me to a higher level ASAP" and you replied with information about "if you are trying to get to level 20" and "to reach level cap". This game is about adventuring, not leveling. Leveling is just a mechanic it uses to provide some variety in your abilities.

Also, there are not "more low level quests than you can run before out-levelling them", because you can always run stuff before out-leveling it. This game doesn't have forced leveling like some others. (If it did, I wouldn't still be level 3.) You don't need to go up in level until you decide you want to, (which presumably would be after you've finished all the content at your current level that you're interested in).
    Hmmm. Maybe I could have been clearer, but my advice was in response to the question of whether to buy several low-level packs or wait for mid-high level packs. It had nothing to do with getting to cap the fastest way, but simply being able to get to cap without grinding the same few quests repeatedly (you'll note I never said quickly). From the post, I'm guessing that Santiago would rather have a variety of quests to run - which requires packs at the higher levels.

True, you don't have to level until you want to, but you will not gain any xp once you bank almost two levels. I did that as I levelled (banked about 2 levels) and then would level up when I hit the xp cap. I still ended up out-levelling quests.

I bought a few low-level adventure packs when friends were running them, but prioritized higher level packs. The problem with buying the high level packs (when you're levelling slowly) is that I was unable to use them for months as I wasn't high enough level to do the quests.

In terms of specific adventure packs to recommend, there isn't enough information for me to make any recommendations. There's quite a variety in quests and people's opinions of which are most fun.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast