Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Great guide Sirgog. I'm looking for some advice for my specific situation.

Right now I'm F2P and own Vale of Twilight. I've run to 100 favor on every server and have accumulated 700 TP. My main is level 20 and I would like to do my first TR. With those TP, I've judged my best buys to be Vault of Night and Devils of Shavarath presuming they both go on 50% off sale this holiday. Would you agree or is there perhaps a better use of my TP, maybe getting 3 smaller packs. My considerations include:

- The amount of favor I can earn as I'm shooting for 1750. Currently at 1270 and very little unattained from my current content.

- Must have at least some epic content to acquire tokens for a TR.

- Good loot for a two-handed fighter.
    Katavina Leagond - Cannith

+1 for awesomeness. I'm a new player who VIP'd after about an hour's play and I still think this is extremely useful! Like many P2P players, I suspect, I have money for the game but not time... as such, it's great to know what's worth the effort and what isn't. Moreover, my girlfriend plays too but I have to be VERY careful which quests I take her on as she has zero Mario skills and likes to be talked through any difficult stuff in advance: your guide is really helpful for steering me towards content that I'm going to be able to learn and help her through without getting crockery thrown at me

I have a question though: is there a similar review anywhere for the *free* content? I understand that this post is aimed towards helping F2P players get the best value possible out of their hard-earned TP, but I'd love a guide similar to this for all content so that I can get the best value possible out of my time!

Community Member

I question the accuracy of any rating system where Three Barrel Cove scores as high as Necro II and Threnal.

Is it possible you got your math wrong? 15/50 = 3/10, but you have it listed as 4/10.

Almost no VIPs I know will so much as set foot in Three Barrel Cove because it's such a monumental waste of time. It hasn't got a scrap of named loot, the quests are not only obnoxious to get to and take WAY too long for the most part, but there's also a couple chain quests that you can't move on to the second part immediately, it requires a return to get the followup. Even if one sets out to do all the quests once on elite, a special trip has to be made to complete the second part of some quests. You've rated its challenge at 7/10 while a pack like Gianthold only has 5.5/10, and while I wouldn't call Gianthold super challenging, Three Barrel Cove is an absolute joke compared to it. The only remotely challenging aspect of 3BC is how incredibly tedious the quests are to get to and complete, or possibly remembering to bring a hireling for Scoundrel's Run. What little experience is offered there is offset by the facts that there is already too much high quality xp to be gotten from other quests in their level range even on a double TR and that the quest level ranges vary too widely to maximize everything in one trip out there. All this is made even worse by the exorbitantly expensive cost of the pack, at 650 TP this adventure pack costs as much as The Devils of Shavarath, so for the same TP a F2P account could get a pack with no named loot, overlapping level ranges of most of the F2P content, no epic options, and a decidedly tedious playing experience, or one could pick up one of the absolute essential end-game adventure packs.

It seems like you did a good job for the most part with these, but please double check if you miscalculated for your final 4/10 rating on Three Barrel Cove. While there are probably a few pirate lovers out there who adore the pack, if any free to play person sees these reviews and decides to get Three Barrel Cove over Necro II or Threnal, they've been done a GRAVE disservice.

Edit: In regard to Threnal, in the loot you neglected to mention the Fernian Handwraps. These are no minimum level bound-to-account +2 Flaming Burst handwraps that also give a +3 bonus to reflex saves and increase the damage of the fire-fire-fire burning hands finishing move by 50%. These are an absolutely OUTSTANDING item to give to a first level monk (bound to account and no minimum level) and will help to breeze through lower level content.
    Last edited by Sigava; 12-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Community Member nolaureltree000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEmperorDragon View Post
    Great guide Sirgog. I'm looking for some advice for my specific situation.

Right now I'm F2P and own Vale of Twilight. I've run to 100 favor on every server and have accumulated 700 TP. My main is level 20 and I would like to do my first TR. With those TP, I've judged my best buys to be Vault of Night and Devils of Shavarath presuming they both go on 50% off sale this holiday. Would you agree or is there perhaps a better use of my TP, maybe getting 3 smaller packs. My considerations include:

- The amount of favor I can earn as I'm shooting for 1750. Currently at 1270 and very little unattained from my current content.

- Must have at least some epic content to acquire tokens for a TR.

- Good loot for a two-handed fighter.
    the problem youll run into TRing, is that youll run out of content to run without a few middle and end game adventure packs. the named gear you get from Devils is all ML 18, so its not going to play a large part for your TR. Devils is a great pack, but its more for loot than XP grinding. i would save Devils for when your TR gets back up to level 17 or 18.

VoN is a great pack though imo, ive always enjoyed it. youre going to want either Gianthold or Demon Sands at the very least and a lower level pack like Delera's or Tangleroot. even then, youre going to need to need to grind out slayers to get enough XP.

i havent TR'd yet myself so maybe someone else can be of more help, but im looking to in the near future and from what ive gathered, you need a good spread of packs and need to grind everything at your level before moving on, or youll find yourself below cap but out of quests to grind for more XP.

Community Member

Thank you very much for this thread. A few of my freemium buddies and I are buying allot more adventure packs thanks to you. Turbine owes you thanks as well.

I think more could be said in the reviews of packs with explorer zones, maybe warranting their own breakdown of XP, challenge, loot and replayability.

For example, I really enjoy Three Barrel Cove exploring, as the area is interesting, varied, beautiful, and, on a single pass, offers pretty decent XP in that level range, and has a few areas where you can mop up a lot of kills in short order, allowing you to get to higher slayer tiers quickly and easily, but, as you pointed out, the quests in the area kind of suck from an XP/loot perspective.

Also, while on that topic, stop being a Mario noob! The ladders aren't hard!
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Thanks for updating your list of reviews. As a new premium player I referred to your original reviews often and found this updated list just as helpful. +1 rep to you sir!

It's a good guide with regards to reviews. Very helpful.

I did find that your prices are outdated, in some cases it looks like they haven't been updated in years. For example, none of the prices, since September 2010 when I joined, ended in anything other that *50. (350, 450, 850)

Here is a list of the current Adventures Packs and their current pricing as of December 23rd 2010:

The Catacombs-250
    Tangleroot Gorge-550
    Shan-to-Kor-250
    Three Barrel Cove-650
    The Necropolis part 1-250
    Sarrowdusk Island-450
    Devil Assualt-350
    Delera’s Tomb-850
    Sharn Syndicate-350
    The Devils of Shavarath-650
    The Demon Sands-850
    The Red Fens-450
    Phiarlain Carnival-450
    The Necropolis part 2-350
    The Ruins of Gainthold-950
    The Ruins of Thernal-550
    The Necropolis part 3-350
    The Vale of Twilight-850
    The Necropolis part 4-850
    The Restless Isles-550
    Reaver’s Reach-350
    The Vault of Night-750
    The Path of Inspiration-450
    The Dreaming Dark-450
    Sentinels of Stormreach-450 (not listed in your guide list, but is in the reviews)
    Attack on Stormreach-550 (not listed in your guide)

For those that prefer a listing more in line with the order that the DDO store currently lists, I've added that order as well for convenience sake:

Shan-to-Kor-250
    The Catacombs-250
    Sharn Syndicate-350
    Tangleroot Gorge-550
    Delera’s Tomb-850
    The Necropolis part 1-250
    Sarrowdusk Island-450
    Devil Assualt-350
    The Ruins of Gainthold-950
    The Vale of Twilight-850
    Three Barrel Cove-650
    The Demon Sands-850
    The Vault of Night-750
    The Necropolis part 2-350
    Sentinels of Stormreach-450
    Reaver’s Reach-350
    The Ruins of Thernal-550
    The Necropolis part 4-850
    The Devils of Shavarath-650
    Phiarlain Carnival-450
    The Necropolis part 3-350
    The Path of Inspiration-450
    The Red Fens-450
    The Restless Isles-550
    The Dreaming Dark-450
    Attack on Stormreach-550

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    I think Catacombs is an awesome adventure pack on all fronts.

It has some excellent loot, notably, the silver, ghost touched, undead bane wraps/longsword/dagger and the robe of duality. The weapons particularly can be useful until levels in the mid-teens most probably.

It has some awesome xp if you have a buddy to window farm parts 2 and 3.

It has some of the best favour per TP ratio in the game which is important for free or premium player or for someone who wants to unlock favour rewards (32 point builds or silver flame pots for instance).
    I kinda agree, just the "All Fronts" part I don't. Not all classes will get anything really worth while from end loot. But for those that would benefit from those rewards, it is a great Pack for preparing your character for Delera's and even Necro.
    it's an easy extra 66 Silver Flame favor. That is one of it's best things about the Pack. The EXp is great if your going there as a lvl 2. I have Staff using Flavor builds, and getting the Pillar of Light helps them greatly for dealing with the undead in Delera's

I do know I would give The Catacombs a higher rating then The Sharn Syndicate I mean the amount of favor earned alone would give catacombs a bigger rating. And lets not forget those that like to use wands, there is Eternal Wand of Cure Minor Wounds
    Giving Catacombs loot 2/10 and then giving Sharn Syndicate loot 6/10
    Maybe it's just the type of characters I play/Build but Sharn Syndicate offered me nothing to even ever think of buying except to complete Owning all of the packs. So maybe I'm a lot more Bias because of that.

I do have a question about the "Reviews of all adventure packs (updated and overhauled)"
    I am sure one seeing the "RAID" means this is not a Solo-able pack, but some players may not catch that. was curious why in the Review, some thing like = Solo-ability: Yes or N/A or Partial, was not added ?
    or did I just not see anything like that

Community Member

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    [color=green]It's a tribute to D&D creater Gary Gygax, who narrated quests here and passed away recently..
    He' s the dungeon master voice over there? Did i get it right?
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by XaatXuun View Post
    I do have a question about the "Reviews of all adventure packs (updated and overhauled)"
    I am sure one seeing the "RAID" means this is not a Solo-able pack, but some players may not catch that. was curious why in the Review, some thing like = Solo-ability: Yes or N/A or Partial, was not added ?
    or did I just not see anything like that
    Never thought to add soloability. In general, almost all lowbie content can be readily soloed EXCEPT the Necropolis chains (each of which contains at least one quest or raid that is absolutely impossible to solo). I might add that in later.

I need to add in something for the Update 8 quests sometime too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Yes, at least in parts of the pack.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

There is also an Option that cannot be done in Delera's that can not be soloed.

Some players like completing all content including Option's , I know I do when doing a quest the first time. On the most part, your absolutely correct, the low level adventure packs are very soloable, just some may need more then just a hireling.
    I'm not trying to say one could not complete a quest. just kinda a note for some that may be a "Must complete all content" minded, may want a little warning.
    Guess it possible, that is something not really needed for a Review, if someone does their homework about the quest in the something like the DDOWiki Adventure pack section

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Yes, at least in parts of the pack.
    Wow, just decided which adventure pack to buy next!
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

didnt have time to read this in full, so apologies if I repeat here.
    1. +1 rep...great post and very useful, I agree with 99.9999% of what you said.
    2. I did not see you mention the Silver Flame Pendant that you carry with you during the necro quests and upgrade at the end quest in each section...I could be wrong, but this trinket (death block, neg energy absorption, etc) is a great item, especially against certain foes (such as beholder, if you dont have beholder head gear). IMO, this item alone makes the necro series worth doing, but that is it. The rest, as you said, is worthless or gets out lvled fast.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Wow, just decided which adventure pack to buy next!
    He's kind of creepy, so don't get your hopes up On the other hand, it's exactly what you'd picture his voice to be like.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by HellsChaos View Post
    2. I did not see you mention the Silver Flame Pendant that you carry with you during the necro quests and upgrade at the end quest in each section...I could be wrong, but this trinket (death block, neg energy absorption, etc) is a great item, especially against certain foes (such as beholder, if you dont have beholder head gear). IMO, this item alone makes the necro series worth doing, but that is it. The rest, as you said, is worthless or gets out lvled fast.
    It's mentioned in Necro 3, probably because it is the easiest way to upgrade it to its final tier (the other way is within the Abbot raid).
    It may be worth mentioning it in Necro 2, because the 2nd tier is already useful enough. I would personally rather have Necro 2 than Necro 3, because the Shadow Crypt is so handy to get one-two levels in the 9-12 range

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

This is from the Necro 1 review:
    also the fact that one of the quests requires 4 switches pressed simultaneously, making it impossible to solo at all and impossible to duo or trio without Hirelings.
    This comment could be made less strong, since it is possible on some builds to solo it (and actually anyone can solo with gold seal hirelings).

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    It's mentioned in Necro 3, probably because it is the easiest way to upgrade it to its final tier (the other way is within the Abbot raid).
    It may be worth mentioning it in Necro 2, because the 2nd tier is already useful enough. I would personally rather have Necro 2 than Necro 3, because the Shadow Crypt is so handy to get one-two levels in the 9-12 range
    very true about Shadow Crypt...but if you get the 2nd tier, you might as well go all the way lol. The extra couple features given by necro 3 makes life just a little easier, especially if you can sneak in with a higher lvl group and get the upgrade sooner then later.

And about Attack on Stormreach? What were the first impressions?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast