Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Thanks Sirgog! I've been looking forward to the updated post since it's about time for a second modules-binge

I started as a f2p player, and this guide helped me budget which modules to get (in order). I particularly liked the breakdown of each module, and this is what my friends and I use to decide if a module would be "fun" for us.

Though I found the 3-barrel cove not to be as bad as you noted (in the original review)... the ladder jumping is easily done by climbing to the top, changing the camera facing, then jumping/falling in the direction of the other ladder you want (I'm not sure if it even uses the jump skill).

Community Member

An updated list of adventure packs, here. Some of the prices were incorrect and it missed Sentinels of Stormreach.

Name - Cost in TP
    The Catacombs - 250
    Tangleroot Gorge - 550
    Shan-to-Kor - 250
    Three Barrel Cove - 650
    The Necropolis part 1 - 250
    Sorrowdusk Island - 450
    Devil Assault - 350
    Delera's Tomb - 750 (850 for U8)
    Sharn Syndicate - 350
    Sentinels of Stormreach - 450
    Phiarlan Carnival - 450
    The Ruins of Threnal - 550
    The Red Fens - 450
    The Vault of Night - 750
    The Ruins of Gianthold - 950
    The Necropolis part 2 - 350
    The Necropolis part 3 - 350
    The Restless Isles - 550
    The Demon Sands - 850
    The Necropolis part 4 - 850
    The Vale of Twilight - 650 (850 for U8)
    The Reaver's Reach - 350
    The Path of Inspiration - 450
    The Dreaming Dark - 450
    The Devils of Shavarath - 650
    Total packs - 25 Total TP - 12950 (13250 for U8, plus Siege of Stormreach's cost)

On DDOWiki's list of adventure packs - it says Update 8's upcoming addition of the Siege of Stormreach adventure is apparently to be priced at 450 TP. But I don't know the source of that, and things may change when it reaches live.
    Last edited by FishPyramid; 12-07-2010 at 09:46 PM.

And deleting the old bookmark....

and replacing with this one....

Just curious, is there a reason for the difference (although not much) from the old thread to this one for Necro II?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyvn View Post
    I'm a smooth pimp who loves the *****. And Tubby here is my black man servant. What?
    Dakota's new player guide and tips <----Check this out
    New Crafting Suggestion <----This Too!

Community Member nolaureltree000's Avatar

i used your last adventure pack review to help guide my pack purchases so i very much appreciate an updated version!

one thing i would disagree with would be your distaste for the coal chamber in the Vale of Twilight pack. the first few times i ran it, i hated the quest (mostly because i would fall off ledges all the time), but after becoming familiar with the quest, you can zerg through it fairly quickly. i suppose its still kind of a pain even after that, but considering it gives the best XP of any quest in the Vale, i would say that makes running and even repeatedly farming it worth it.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

I think Catacombs is an awesome adventure pack on all fronts.

It has some excellent loot, notably, the silver, ghost touched, undead bane wraps/longsword/dagger and the robe of duality. The weapons particularly can be useful until levels in the mid-teens most probably.

It has some awesome xp if you have a buddy to window farm parts 2 and 3.

It has some of the best favour per TP ratio in the game which is important for free or premium player or for someone who wants to unlock favour rewards (32 point builds or silver flame pots for instance).

Shouldn't forget docent of blood in necro 1. Good favour/TP ratio too.

Sorrowdusk can be quite challenging if you want to do the whole 2 chains without xp penalty at the same level as the last few quests can be quite overlevel for the dedicated party which makes for a challenging quest even on normal (mainly the mephits one). Sorrowdusk has very good TP/favour ratio as well.

I actually really appreciate necro 2 as some of the challenges in the quests are unique to the quest chain and refreshingly deviate from the usual see mob, kill mob, win quest though only want to do them once per character quite often.

I would guess Devil Assault would be upgraded in value now that it includes the Chronoscope. People seem to be running this constantly so you can always find a group, and the 5 piece set is massively good for a level 6 caster (especially) but any toon will find at least one or two pieces of value (+60 elec damage on crits is insane at level).

Quote Originally Posted by Rilbur View Post
    I would guess Devil Assault would be upgraded in value now that it includes the Chronoscope. People seem to be running this constantly so you can always find a group, and the 5 piece set is massively good for a level 6 caster (especially) but any toon will find at least one or two pieces of value (+60 elec damage on crits is insane at level).
    Yeah, it got quite an upgrade. I run Epic Devil Assault as much as possible, and Epic Chronoscope quite a bit too. If they adjust the scroll drop rates so that Epic Chrono items are more able to be completed, I'll revise it up further.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Community Member balancetraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Devil Assault - 350 points
    Immersion: 6/10. Lower for Devil Assault (why are the devils not just teleporting out of the room?), and higher for Chronoscope, which has some great plot scenes.
    Rating: 9/10 for powergamers; 7.5/10 for others.
    The story of Devil Assault was originally designed to be a tight part of the Devil Invasion live event it would seem:

http://www.pbase.com/jerrysnook/image/93940232

I think the ratings for House P festival quite undeserving. It is quite underrated, and to design a set that suits the Phiarlan lore it does the job fittingly, and superbly at that.

Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, & it will never be used to hurt you.

1- You missed Immersion of Devils of Shavarath
    2- I ran P Carnival only twice, and those are very, very fun quests. They deserve better ratings
    3- Very good review, though. Even better than the other, more organized, with special attention for Vale

Like many folk, I too used your guide up until the last offer over thanksgiving, where a rush to the head meant I purchased all of the adventure packs, including your (previously rated) 1/10 Necro 2. For $2, I figured I'd find out myself. Thanks for your efforts and +1 to your already bulging reputation, as I found much of what you said to be true and accurate.

I was just going to add something to the tune of this...
    Quote Originally Posted by fox_with_rabies View Post
    Though I found the 3-barrel cove not to be as bad as you noted (in the original review)... the ladder jumping is easily done by climbing to the top, changing the camera facing, then jumping/falling in the direction of the other ladder you want (I'm not sure if it even uses the jump skill).
    I got to those ladders and thought, oh no. Here we go. No FF and we still got up there. A friend did fall to his death, so I dropped back to get him and had to go all the way back up, but he'd had his hireling pick up his soul stone, so was then left with the unenviable task of climbing up, whilst constantly calling the hireling to his location, so as to stay in range of his soul stone. He did make it, but once on top the hireling never came to him, so he went to the hireling. The other two of us went on, and thankfully found out we could open a gate, meaning he didn't have to do it, even if his hireling did get roasted in the flames en route. In contrast t this, my girlfriend, who hates 'jumpy parts' in all games and often asks me to do it for her, got up first go!

In any case, we enjoyed it, though I can see how this wouldn't fit in with your powerlevel style of play. That said we enjoy just about any quest at the moment, as we are new to the game and discovery is usually the best part. We even enjoyed our first 3 hours in The Pit!

Thread Bump, due to the great 50% off specials this season and the HUGE value of this thread....why is it not stickied yet?

Thumbs up

This is a really fantastic thread and a great addition to the community, +1 and kudos.

But I do have one nitpick in that your review of the stealer of souls quest is terribad xp when it can be really worthwhile on a tr if it is speedrun. 15-20 minutes worth of work for around 13k or more isn't bad for the xp starved double tr looking for a break from IQ and DD.
    Morfane - Cealest - Naphor - Sofu - Nairs - Morphaine
    Nerdrage

+1 for an excellent guide.
    - Discreet , Ruffle , Unlikely , Skunker -

Quote Originally Posted by elricken View Post
    This is a really fantastic thread and a great addition to the community, +1 and kudos.

But I do have one nitpick in that your review of the stealer of souls quest is terribad xp when it can be really worthwhile on a tr if it is speedrun. 15-20 minutes worth of work for around 13k or more isn't bad for the xp starved double tr looking for a break from IQ and DD.
    How on earth do you speedrun it that quickly? Do you split up in earth and fire and air?

If so, that's something that a player that needs this guide isn't going to be close to capable of. I've run that quest a fair number of times, and still haven't committed the locations of the Stone Giant Elders or Fire runes to memory and have to search a little if leading a group.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    How on earth do you speedrun it that quickly? Do you split up in earth and fire and air?

If so, that's something that a player that needs this guide isn't going to be close to capable of. I've run that quest a fair number of times, and still haven't committed the locations of the Stone Giant Elders or Fire runes to memory and have to search a little if leading a group.
    Enter SOS, haste, other necessary buffs on the run.

Usually don't split up in earth, zerg the giants til each elder then kill. Rinse repeat.

Enter Ice, haste, run to the end. Firewall BB til giants + elder are dead.

Enter fire, haste, split into 2 groups to hit the runes. Zerg to the boss, caster or divine kites trash while melee beats down the boss.

Enter Air, haste, zerg to the end in 2 groups, one that is killing + gathering mobs for AOEs and CC and one that hits the runes.

I dunno about others but that is pretty standard for myself + 1-2 guildies/friends while pugging, and yes I have the quest committed to memory due to 5 runs + per capped toon. I just throw up an LFM that says : SOS - Speedrun - BYOH.

Maybe those kind of runs are not for your target audience, but I have been speed running SOS since I was new to the quest. It's the kind of quest that IMO is made to be speedrun, just haste and go.

Maybe my experiences with the quest (dozens and dozens and dozens of pugs, albeit fairly competent ones) is not typical.

I really think people new(er) to the quest are able to achieve 20 minute runs, it doesn't take any special gear or skill really, just keep moving. A single arcane or divine using spells like Bladebarrier, Holyaura, Firewall, DBF, and Web can CC the majority of the quest in a very effective and time efficient way. The one possible exception to "keep moving" may be in fire where newer groups may take things slower to decrease the amount of damage the party is taking.

Quite possibly I am crazy but I just don't see the point of waiting around forever buffing or whatever for SOS.
    Last edited by elricken; 12-07-2010 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Grammar and a couple more thoughts
    Morfane - Cealest - Naphor - Sofu - Nairs - Morphaine
    Nerdrage

Community Member

I added in the details for Update 8's Adventure Pack price changes to my earlier post, to avoid having things broken up. Now we just need to see what cost Siege of Stormreach will be.

Community Member

As I got Sentinels on at its 50% off price today for the monkish end reward, I thought I'd add comments for anyone else thinking about it before the sale ends. I didn't find "Spies in the House" to be too Mario-ey. I think there was one place where I really had to jump. If I missed jumps by running off the edge I'd catch the far edge and clamber up instead. For only one air jet did it seem like I had to do anything but stand in it and let it do its thing. If you're avoiding the pack because you think you'll never ever run that one quest because it's too tricky, here's one opinion that it isn't that bad. I do run in mouse-look mode, but have 250-300ms latency and don't consider myself to have good jumping skills, and yet made it through with only that one jet at the end giving me trouble (I still don't know how I ended up where I wanted to go with that one).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishpyramid View Post
    i Added In The Details For Update 8's Adventure Pack Price Changes To My Earlier Post, To Avoid Having Things Broken Up. Now We Just Need To See What Cost Siege Of Stormreach Will Be.
    550 Tp
    Last edited by OrionM; 12-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Community Member

Great guide, but could you list the must have packs like you did at the end of the old post?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast