Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PD Shroud

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghirmeshk View Post
    Shhh. Don't tell, Parvo.

Seriously--That was some crazy fun! Hat's off to one of the greatest parties I've ever been in:
    Paddsoul
    Ormr
    Magarrote
    Krych
    Zevic
    Gwak

and to the many who helped us get there. After we get 3 or 4 more flagged--I think we will make a go at it. I think after we killed Sorjek and the big sucker at the end of the IQ chain, we started to realize we really had a chance. Fingers crossed. We have wiped being ambitious before. Hopefully, history won't repeat.
    someday in the far far future, may a Qin be added to the list

Yeah, that was a blast...my first time doing most of the high level stuff since I came back to the game. All about the ranjah powa!

-Krych

Quote Originally Posted by Gondin View Post
    Yeah, that was a blast...my first time doing most of the high level stuff since I came back to the game. All about the ranjah powa!

-Krych
    Hell yeah! Us Feb 2006 Non-Founders gotta stick together!

No doubt...what happened to my l33t status?! lame...
    Proud Follower of Extreme Explorers Permadeath Guild on Sarlona. Check us out at Extreme Explorers

Its quite funny, and a tribute to the occasional lethality of the PD lifestyle, that my good friend and guild leader Ghirmeshk's character sig is not functioning, because "This character does not exist."

Cheers! Outstanding stuff. It's been a long time since I ran with EE, but I have fond memories of questmates with a strong culture of attempting tough quests. It's great to see you are still going strong.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    In PnP this is the suggested rule for normal play. In most of the PnP permadeath groups I have seen, REFed for, DMed for, and or played in, if your character dies, it is dead, with NO chance of raise, period.

Most Permadeathers in MMOs play with the raise mechanic being legit, because its one step more risky than death being pretty much meaningless, (you mean I have a repair bill, what? ) - and that first step is a doozy. Most MMO players dont play permadeath at all, because having to delete a character they invested time on at all is unattractive to them due to that risk always looming overhead.

Different guilds follow different rules. There are no guilds with any headcount whatsoever who are even remotely trying to make themselves known in DDO who play true PnP permadeath, where if you die you are dead, no raise. If these people exist in DDO, I havent seen or met them yet.

In the Shroud, you are killed to make the journey to fight Harry on his home plane, then RAISED by the Shroud to complete your quest. Does the death count? Yes. Does the raise count? Yes. Its part of the plot fu of the Shroud quest.
    If you die you a permanently dead-- when there is no cleric or favored soul in the party in The Core. And do we ever run without a raise dead character? The answer is yes, sometimes, for favor reasons, and for that adventure we are at-near level, without resting, and an eye blink from death.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    If you die you a permanently dead-- when there is no cleric or favored soul in the party in The Core. And do we ever run without a raise dead character? The answer is yes, sometimes, for favor reasons, and for that adventure we are at-near level, without resting, and an eye blink from death.
    I understand that, and this is pretty close to PnP normal play - where monks, paladins, elves, and anyone who has 6 levels of a god worshipping class or farms a ring of the ancestors (heh) res abilities dont exist. You basically have to have a divine caster at a sufficient level who can raise, and its still not supposed to be regarded as a minor task. Permadeath in PnP eliminates any possibility of raising at all, and alot of people in DDO who play the PnP game but do not play PD in DDO ask "the shroud plot death question" because they believe this is the definition of PD in an MMO as well, which is it not.

The entire reason this gets brought up is because it seems that many times, "the plot death in Shroud" has been questioned, like its some technicality we all have to live with (has this even been encountered inthe Shroud yet in PD?). If and when PDers start running into that mechanic in the Shroud, and it sounds like they are pretty close to doing so, I dont see it as a huge deal, but it seems to me that this question gets asked often enough that I have to suspect that at least some people are asking it through understanding what PD means in PnP and assuming its played that way in an MMO as well.

In short, there are quite a few threads on what the plot death in the Shroud means for PD, and clarification is needed to answer these questions.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    In short, there are quite a few threads on what the plot death in the Shroud means for PD, and clarification is needed to answer these questions.

I don't really think so. Also Chai this isn't directed at you, because I know you and I are on the same page here.

I mean common sense here people. Its PART OF THE QUEST!

I am FAIRLY certain that I can speak for 90% of the PD community when I say that no PD guild is going to hold a "plot related" death against their players. I don't even think that guilds that have a limited number of allowed raises will hold that as a use of an allowed raise. Why? ITS PART OF THE QUEST!
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Mortal Voyage would probably count this against the max number of raises. But it's not an immediate concern. I've never run it. By what means are the characters raised?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Mortal Voyage would probably count this against the max number of raises. But it's not an immediate concern. I've never run it. By what means are the characters raised?
    In order to travel to the plane to fight the final boss, you have to go through a portal which kills you. When you finish a small cutscene, a True Resurrection is cast on you.

No way EE would count this as a 'legit' death. It is merely a part of the plot.

See the above post.

Basically it is an unavoidable quest mechanic used to transport you to another plane.

I can understand if you guys counted it against the number of allowable deaths, but I think if you guys get there you will feel differently. For sure it will never be a "ok lets delete our toons now" thing, at least not if I have even the smallest understanding of how your guild views PD.
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

I think we would count it against the 1/2 con limit. First, the quest is not forced upon anyone, it's done by choice. Second, no one I know has ever reached the limit. Although some characters have come close. By that level, it could be an issue, I dunno. Third, we don't repeat so it's not likely a character would take multiple deaths that way.

Having said that, I suppose we could make an exception for True Resurrection. I don't think anyone in our guild has ever been raised that way. We do treat the rest mechanic of Raise Dead and Resurrection differently, so it could be reasonable to do something different for True Resurrection. In any case, it's not something we have to worry about soon.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I think we would count it against the 1/2 con limit. First, the quest is not forced upon anyone, it's done by choice. Second, no one I know has ever reached the limit. Although some characters have come close. By that level, it could be an issue, I dunno. Third, we don't repeat so it's not likely a character would take multiple deaths that way.

Having said that, I suppose we could make an exception for True Resurrection. I don't think anyone in our guild has ever been raised that way. We do treat the rest mechanic of Raise Dead and Resurrection differently, so it could be reasonable to do something different for True Resurrection. In any case, it's not something we have to worry about soon.
    I agree that few characters in The Core ever get close to the allowed raise dead limit: 1/2 base Con. Of the 33 or so level 11-14 characters in the guild, only a handful have ever died and been raised once. Two or three might have died twice and been raised. But experience tells me that 99.99% of the characters who face the bitter end won't do so because they have used up all their allowed raises.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

I haven't the foggiest what this 'shrood' thing is but congratulations guys. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you stop hanging out with people that have an X in their name

Quote Originally Posted by Zornochio View Post
    It's amazing what you can accomplish when you stop hanging out with people that have an X in their name

Yeah we miss some of them
    Last edited by Orohb; 11-23-2010 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zornochio View Post
    I haven't the foggiest what this 'shrood' thing is but congratulations guys. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you stop hanging out with people that have an X in their name
    Yeah, Sween, come visit.

Proud Leader of Extreme Explorers Permadeath Guild on Sarlona. Check us out at http://extremeexplorers.guildportal.com

I play PermaDeath without allowing to be raised by any means, -10 once is DEATH!
    I have weighted about this mechanics of the Shroud that enforces a travel death to complete the adventure. I interpret it as a nightmare played by the Hero, but next morning the Hero wakes up safe and sound!
    Did you finished part 4 & 5?

No, we have several with 2nd tier items and weapons now, but are waiting for a few more players to get prepped for it. So far the biggest group I have been in has only been 6 and sometimes we have been through part 3 with only 4. We have a couple members getting close so maybe soon we will finish this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast