Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PD Shroud

Default PD Shroud

Just wanted to thank everyone in Extreme Explorers for the great Shroud 1-3 run last night. Running it 6 man did increase the fun factor!

Did everyone die? Why did you stop at Part 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

We stopped- it was getting late and we had some that had never ran it so we felt pretty good with 3 parts.

Awesome! Congrats guys!

We are still in the process of getting people flagged over at Sublime.
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Yeah we have had a few flagged for quite a while, but it has been hard to get enough together. We had 6 for this and felt lucky

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orohb View Post
    Yeah we have had a few flagged for quite a while, but it has been hard to get enough together. We had 6 for this and felt lucky
    Unfortunately I die too often to get leveled enough to help out....maybe one day.

Community Member

Honestly curious here - what about the unavoidoble deaths in shroud? Do they count?

Well we don't really RP, but I would note that you also get raised. Perhaps in some of the other PD groups that would not fly, but for our guild I don't see an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirkan View Post
    Honestly curious here - what about the unavoidoble deaths in shroud? Do they count?
    Not a PD player, but why would it? The quest mechanic is to kill you and then bring you back to life.

From what I know, some PD guilds only allow certain numbers of raises total (possibly based from CON score?). As I said we don't RP anything like that, so it isn't a problem for us.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orohb View Post
    From what I know, some PD guilds only allow certain numbers of raises total (possibly based from CON score?). As I said we don't RP anything like that, so it isn't a problem for us.
    Sounds right...I think by PnP rules, con determines number of raises allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_419 View Post
    Not a PD player, but why would it? The quest mechanic is to kill you and then bring you back to life.

I would agree. It's part of the storyline of the quest. Trust in the Shroud.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Community Member

Every time you get raised - by 3.5 pnp rules - except by certain, specific spells (3 total, True Ressurection, True Reincarnation, and a 5th level one that has to be cast immediately after the target dies) you lose a level. If you are level one, you permanently lose one point of con. If you no longer have any con score, you are unable to be raised from the dead.

Also not a PD'er, but from what I understand, the harder core guilds completely disallow any use of Shrines, as well as the use of the Raise Dead, Ressurection, and True Ressurection abilities. I think I remember hearing about a PDer getting ressed by undying call, and that it was 'all good' after that...I think he was in Mortal Voyage. I had previously been of the understnading that Undying Call would be against the rules, as well.

I ask because it's an example of a completely unavoidable death, albeit one followed by a res.

I get that. I also want to have fun playing this game. For me, being Permadeath is not a reason to not play all of this game.

Every time you get raised - by 3.5 pnp rules - except by certain, specific spells (3 total, True Ressurection, True Reincarnation, and a 5th level one that has to be cast immediately after the target dies) you lose a level. If you are level one, you permanently lose one point of con. If you no longer have any con score, you are unable to be raised from the dead.
    In PnP this is the suggested rule for normal play. In most of the PnP permadeath groups I have seen, REFed for, DMed for, and or played in, if your character dies, it is dead, with NO chance of raise, period.

Most Permadeathers in MMOs play with the raise mechanic being legit, because its one step more risky than death being pretty much meaningless, (you mean I have a repair bill, what? ) - and that first step is a doozy. Most MMO players dont play permadeath at all, because having to delete a character they invested time on at all is unattractive to them due to that risk always looming overhead.

Also not a PD'er, but from what I understand, the harder core guilds completely disallow any use of Shrines, as well as the use of the Raise Dead, Ressurection, and True Ressurection abilities. I think I remember hearing about a PDer getting ressed by undying call, and that it was 'all good' after that...I think he was in Mortal Voyage. I had previously been of the understnading that Undying Call would be against the rules, as well.

I ask because it's an example of a completely unavoidable death, albeit one followed by a res.
    Different guilds follow different rules. There are no guilds with any headcount whatsoever who are even remotely trying to make themselves known in DDO who play true PnP permadeath, where if you die you are dead, no raise. If these people exist in DDO, I havent seen or met them yet.

In the Shroud, you are killed to make the journey to fight Harry on his home plane, then RAISED by the Shroud to complete your quest. Does the death count? Yes. Does the raise count? Yes. Its part of the plot fu of the Shroud quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    ...There are no guilds with any headcount whatsoever who are even remotely trying to make themselves known in DDO who play true PnP permadeath, where if you die you are dead, no raise. If these people exist in DDO, I havent seen or met them yet...
    Maybe there is a double super secret sect with 1000 members who never talk about PD beyond their immediate guild members...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Oi oi All:

Grats to the EE for the successful Shroud 1 - 3

Only need Rainbow to be shroud ready myself and iirc there are 2 or perhaps 3 others who are fully shroud ready and another 2 or 3 like myself that need 1 or 2 of the Vale quests to be ready ... then we will see what we see!!

Cheers and again congarats!!

Blair
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved state, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... holy **** what a ride!"
    Proud member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis. Visit our website at http://sublimepermadeath.shivtr.com/

Thanks, it has felt strange with some of the raids because in parties we are running SoS and Inspired Quarter without issues, but it has been hard to get the numbers to run actual 12 man stuff.

((Warning for those who haven't done the Shroud and/or would like to not read about some details, don't read this!))

We had been doing Part 1 for a little while before we felt comfortable enough to go on. Normally we had about 3 maybe 5 people on for part 1 and we didn't feel like we would be able to kill all the lieutenants close to the same time and far enough apart. This past run though we had a group of 6.

About 1 or 2 people hadn't done the Shroud at all before and some were a bit hazy on the details in it. We got the fire elemental, bearded devil, orc, and gnoll for part 2. The fire elemental was easy enough just sent it away with a ranger. The orc wasn't much trouble either. The interesting part was that the gnoll and the devil didn't want to seperate and dispell+bb+cometfall+greater command leads to some interesting times. We were able to pull it off and shatter the crystal though with only 2 deaths. Part 3 was, well, fairly easy only had 1 lock-picker and filled the last fountain just as the wall starting coming around. We felt that we didn't really have the melee dps to be able to kill harry in enough rounds for the healers not to spend obscenes amount of mana pots and people were getting tired so we called it for the night. 2 people got tier I gs items, 1 person just needs a shard, another person just needs the altar, and the other 2 are getting close i hope. Part 4 completion hopefull sooner than Soon(tm)

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Maybe there is a double super secret sect with 1000 members who never talk about PD beyond their immediate guild members...
    Shhh. Don't tell, Parvo.

Seriously--That was some crazy fun! Hat's off to one of the greatest parties I've ever been in:
    Paddsoul
    Ormr
    Magarrote
    Krych
    Zevic
    Gwak

and to the many who helped us get there. After we get 3 or 4 more flagged--I think we will make a go at it. I think after we killed Sorjek and the big sucker at the end of the IQ chain, we started to realize we really had a chance. Fingers crossed. We have wiped being ambitious before. Hopefully, history won't repeat.

Proud Leader of Extreme Explorers Permadeath Guild on Sarlona. Check us out at http://extremeexplorers.guildportal.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast