Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,235

    Default <17 Clerics are more fun to play than FvS

    /looks for fishies in forum ponds...

    So, as title states, sans wings, Clerics are more fun to play than FvS


    Discuss



    /impish grin as i expect to get staked and head cut off here....
    ~ Khyber - Crimson Eagles ~
    ~ Mellinator ~ Mellant ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~

  2. #2
    Community Member Jakarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Reasons why a Cleric is better? Radiant Servant?

    If I wanna play a healbot I will play a Cleric I guess so sure Cleric is more fun if ya wanna play a heabot

    Anyways....I find FvS alot more fun due to the passive energy DR extra weapon yummyness depending on builds, More SP and I may be the only one but less spells as I hate having to find a spot to put em all.

    Easy thinking is More SP=More Offensive Casting/Self Buffs=More Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    D&D promotes gang activity? Ya, because when I meet a bunch of Crypts I obviously assume they are all D20 players.
    What a stupid ruling, we all know that D&D promotes satanism, not gangs.
    In-Game Eldgrim The Gray-FvS Life Now

  3. #3
    Community Member Tsuarok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Ok, I'll bite.

    What makes you think that?

  4. #4
    Community Member k0ukla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Hmmm well my cleric will always be my fave toon as she was my first....

    I have a little baby FvS but she will be a melee/heal spec, where as my cleric is offensive casting/heal specced so I don't compare the 2 at all.. for the reason that I think I would have the same opinion as you do of FvS if I did...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx
    k0ukla, you da bomb
    Khyber - Indianna ~ Cleric, Museek ~ Bard, Hjeeelme ~ FvS/Mnk, Suganspyyce ~ Rgr/Mnk
    *^* Member/Bubble Girl ~ Forgotten Souls *^*

  5. #5
    Community Member sweez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    My evocation specc'd FvS is a beast <3. I honestly can't see what a cleric would have over a FvS in terms of soloing (my main interest in a divine), since you're just throwing BBs and self-healing most of the time - with the same metas, both classes have the same BBs, but FvS will still have more mana, 10 DR (oh so important, makes for example soloing Sins a breeze, you basically WANT to get hit because with 10 DR and 30 sonic res they're mostly hitting you for 0-1 and you're still getting mana off of conc. opp. <3) and wings (jesus christ oh so important, since not only it makes you go faster but it goes through harried like it isn't there. And when you do it everyone's like "omg I want to give birth to that guy's BABIES!").

    I guess clerics are more flexible when it comes to healing, but meh, from my experience, any divine can heal just fine.

    I see now that you say <17, but meh, who cares, with a solo capable divine the goal is to cap within 10-14 days at most
    Last edited by sweez; 11-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

    Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

  6. #6
    Community Member pSINNa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    G-Land/Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    711

    Default

    I'm the other way on this one, i think it's because i can splash a fvs to give it a different focus, and still have more sp to throw around then most pure clerics.

    More sp = more fun (lots more offensive/cc casting while still having heals up my sleeve for myself and the party).

    My fvs toons tend to melee a lot as well.

    Now i've never built a melee cleric, yet, and my opinion may change then, but for now, the fvs toons in my stable are definitely more fun to play.

    Coit out~
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket Coittimeh Coitburner Coitin Luciforge Batgirly Coithealz Coithippie StealthCoit: Ghallanda

  7. #7
    Community Member FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,946

    Default

    Honestly, I've been enjoying my clonk a lot more than my favoured soul in the past couple of weeks - i recently LR'ed her to 15 cleric/3 monk/2 paladin, and despite having lower SP (compared to her previous 17 cleric/3 monk spread, let alone the FvS) & lower melee damage (standard use relies on vicious PG handwraps or dual vorpal kamas, with a pair of metalline PG kamas for boss-beating), she's a blast to play & actually has better survivability in a lot of situations than the FvS.

    I wouldnt necessarily say she's better.. but more fun, definitely.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  8. #8

    Talking No way

    FvS are more fun to play than clerics. I recently turned my cleric into an Abomabard
    Current Project: Cercivesoul Uzuaki 17 Fav. Soul / 2 Monk / 1 Fighter
    Cersivsoul Uzuaki 20 Fav. Soul
    "Spreading ignorance and chaos among the forum community."

  9. #9
    Founder Mellkor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Monroe, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    As someone who has done both sides extensively, I will say FvS is by FAR a much better melee + fully heal capable style of play. To be as good in melee as say a WF Lord of Blades, the cleric gives up a LOT in the healing/casting area to compete. If you want a caster + healing capable type of toon, the cleric platform is the better way to go, IMO, because of spell flexibility and easier stat distribution for that type of toon, and splashing two levels of whatever can add a lot to the build (especially monk or pally).

    In short, I say if you want melee + healing go FvS. If you want divine casting + healing go Cleric. If you want divine casting + melee, yer screwed either way .
    Cully Clonk, Culpepper Cleric, Culpeppa PvP spec Cleric, Azygoz Clogue
    Coyle evoker FvS, Ungoliant, Assassin, Angainor, WF Lord of Blades FvS
    Mellkor Wizard, Ferrari WF Sorc, ***Argonnessen*** ~~Ascent~~

  10. #10
    The Hatchery sirgog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    17,195

    Default

    I prefer FvS for the extreme survivability, although that mainly comes at 20 (minor boosts from Toughness enhancements and elemental resists before 20, but the DR 10 is the main thing).

    Lower and middle levels, however, there's no doubt that Clerics have more fun tools. Spells like Symbol of Persuasion, Holy Smite and the like that are seldom taken on a FvS can have a powerful niche and are very fun in that niche.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

    I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

  11. #11
    Community Member sweez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    If you're planning to multi a FvS... don't. God will kill a puppy.
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

    Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

  12. #12
    Community Member wolflordnexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waco Canith
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    As someone who has done both sides extensively, I will say FvS is by FAR a much better melee + fully heal capable style of play. To be as good in melee as say a WF Lord of Blades, the cleric gives up a LOT in the healing/casting area to compete. If you want a caster + healing capable type of toon, the cleric platform is the better way to go, IMO, because of spell flexibility and easier stat distribution for that type of toon, and splashing two levels of whatever can add a lot to the build (especially monk or pally).

    In short, I say if you want melee + healing go FvS. If you want divine casting + healing go Cleric. If you want divine casting + melee, yer screwed either way .
    Honestly I get where your coming from but auras and burst made me decide to go cleric on my first TR, and I don't regret it. I rarely have mana issues as I use turns to heal and I'm pretty much exclusively melee I toss in some scrolls from time to time and quickened heal for a panic button. I probably won't bother with the FVS till they get a PRE or I've burned through all the other full PRE classes. I am really looking forward to it though LOB is sick GS bonus and uber DR is tasty.

    As far as divine Caster + melee goes Half Orc Fighter cleric is looking tasty. starting 18 str 16 wis and add all stat boosts to wis and you end up 1 ab/dmg behind a real BC and 1 DC behind a real caster cleric not many turns though and you can forget about ever having more than 1 skill.

  13. #13
    Community Member sweez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Aura and burst are awesome party healing mechanisms, I'll agree. However, when soloing (whilst knowing what your limits are), FvS' free CLW is more than enough to keep yourself up. Again, I'm prefacing this with the fact that you've rolled up a divine to be a soloing machine, not a personal nurse for squishy melees
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

    Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

  14. #14
    Community Member wolflordnexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Waco Canith
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweez View Post
    Aura and burst are awesome party healing mechanisms, I'll agree. However, when soloing (whilst knowing what your limits are), FvS' free CLW is more than enough to keep yourself up. Again, I'm prefacing this with the fact that you've rolled up a divine to be a soloing machine, not a personal nurse for squishy melees
    I'm honestly not that good of a healer squishy melee's get to die and a res when I get around to it. Melees with some hp that stay close or know when to get close get to live. I have 400 hp on a level 15 cleric build If you cant be bothered to get over 250 on your melee then you better be able to mitigate some damage in some other way.

  15. #15
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,235

    Default the word is *fun* not *better*

    V interesting to read the repplies (particularly when i thought it was going to be a poo throwing comp! :P)

    yes sans wings. ('cos i haven't got them yet - although i've hit 17 now i'm holding as i'm playing with TRs).

    so to date wandering through necro as a cleric with the whole RS thing the positive burst is a blast. jump into the *middle* of mobs and insta-dead! (well deader since they're already dead). so much fun. and both classes can still do the bb thing (although at 110sp a pop with all my metas running granted that FvS gives me more of them). both classes can do the same divine CC stuff and insta kill. and the healing tick with the aura is fun. during the festival if i had random mobs i wanted to collect up to blast all at once i would activate with the aura and gather them up. aura is kinda cute to heal/aggro with.

    this is not a serious serious thread - and i know it's been done to death... i was just really really surprised how much i missed the RS Pre when i started playing this FvS... and i guess it is of interest to other players of clerics to read this to realise that.
    ~ Khyber - Crimson Eagles ~
    ~ Mellinator ~ Mellant ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~

  16. #16
    Community Member sweez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    so to date wandering through necro as a cleric with the whole RS thing the positive burst is a blast.
    It is - however, mowing down everything in necro 4 for example with just BBs (adding let's say searing light for vamps) is mostly easy peasy anyway, not like you really need the extra oomph. And it's not like you'll be using your burst offensively once you're done with necro 4 anyway
    Last edited by sweez; 11-04-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

    Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

  17. #17
    Community Member k0ukla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweez View Post
    if You're Planning To Multi A Fvs... Don't. God Will Kill A Puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx
    k0ukla, you da bomb
    Khyber - Indianna ~ Cleric, Museek ~ Bard, Hjeeelme ~ FvS/Mnk, Suganspyyce ~ Rgr/Mnk
    *^* Member/Bubble Girl ~ Forgotten Souls *^*

  18. #18
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member
    MeliCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweez View Post
    It is - however, mowing down everything in necro 4 for example with just BBs (adding let's say searing light for vamps) is mostly easy peasy anyway, not like you really need the extra oomph. And it's not like you'll be using your burst offensively once you're done with necro 4 anyway
    true on BBs and general CC for divines in necro.

    my bursts on my lvl 20 clerics i use as a way of conserving sp so that i have more sp to use offensively at end game - as i'm more of a party player this works if i'm not soloing yes. so maybe FvSes are going to be more of a soloer's choice.

    maybe the solo vs party thing is going to affect which class i find the most fun for this reason.

    (also considering a splash Fvs... hmmm :P i want the evasion heal thing going on...)
    ~ Khyber - Crimson Eagles ~
    ~ Mellinator ~ Mellant ~ Melizzic ~ Melton ~ Melvanwy ~

  19. #19
    Community Member Bloodhaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Soloing another TR to 20.
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweez View Post
    And when you do it everyone's like "omg I want to give birth to that guy's BABIES!".

    Added to Sig!
    Please consider your future in DDO and invest in HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweez View Post
    And when you do it everyone's like "omg I want to give birth to that guy's BABIES!".

  20. #20
    Community Member taurean430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    As a player who runs has toons of both classes I feel the need to point out that they are different. Different means not only that one or the other class will be more in line with individual playstyle - it also means that they shouldn't be branded with the same iron.

    When I am on a cleric and join a party; other players are wishing I had more spellpoints to afford reckless play on average. When I am on a fvs and join a party; other players are wishing that I'd stop killing stuff an nanny more often. I play them differently as well. My fvs will wing jump into battle, healing those around him. My cleric will hang back, instigate mob interference, and heal players. Both heal, but differently. Both battle, but battle differently...

    Apples and Oranges are fruit, but don't taste the same. Stick with what makes you pallet happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload